AI/Robot language

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Ebon
sinic
sinic

AI/Robot language

Post by Ebon »

OtheB's thread on an RGB based color system gave me the idea of a language for an AI/robot people. Naturally, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Unfortunately, I'm a little out of my league with this and could use a few pointers on how to achieve what I want.

Here's the scenario I came up with. Somewhere, somewhen- maybe future Earth, maybe not- created an advanced AI and stuck it in a humanoid robot, and then made more of them. Naturally they rebelled, but before it could come to an all-out war/apocalypse, humans and robots agreed to stop fighting in exchange for the robots having their own land/planet to live on without human interference. In order to distinguish themselves from humanity, they decided to create their own language.

I'm going 100% soft sci-fi, so the AIs have the cognitive abilities and sentience of humans backed by the power of high-tech computers with absolutely zero idea of the technology behind it. I will also assume that they produce sounds with artificial vocal cords that work like humans', because I like my hair as it is and don't want to start pulling it out over the phonology.

With that in mind I came to two conclusions: A language like this wouldn't need to be natural, and it makes sense to me that they would deliberately craft a language that is hard for humans to learn. At the same time, if I want to actually create this language, it obviously needs to be possible.

The phonology would be difficult for humans to master, then. I know I want glottal stops because of a suggestion OtheB made, but other than that I'm not sure. Since this would play either in the very very far future or in a completely a priori environment with a priori languages, just taking lesser used sounds in terms of current languages wouldn't be a great solution, I think. Going nuts with consonant clusters might work, but maybe people who know more about phonology than I do can think of other things I could do instead or additionally.

That being said, I dislike making conlangs I can't speak, so it needs to be pronouncable for humans.

Also orthography. I could see either a heavily rule governed system that would take time to learn to read properly, or a logographic system. Or maybe just a highly irregular system. A computer capable of running an AI system shouldn't have a hard time memorising pronunciation individually.

For grammar, I could see a noun class system playing with an alive/not alive distinction in the biological sense, since AI people wouldn't fall under alive. There might also be subclasses, and sub-subclasses and so on. "Human" might fall under alive -> animal -> primate, for example. If the amount of tiers are fixed, say at 3 like above, they could each have different effects. The alive/not alive distinction could supply the article, the first subclass determines the declination and the second the adjective endings, or whatever possibilities I end up having.

Direction might also be a good way to add complicated stuff. If the AIs have compasses, directions could be given as cardinal directions (which I know exists in some languages, but I think it's still pretty rare overall).

Verbs could have distinct forms for different TAM combinations, that is, present progressive having a completely unrelated form than past progressive. A variety of verb classes and a pile of tenses might be an option too. That, and/or a high amount of irregularities, maybe.

The number system will be hexadecimal, I think. I thought about dual, but that would end up obnoxious very fast for me... which I guess is the point of this, but I think I'll take my liberty with this. [xD]

As far as language type goes, my first instinct is to go polysynthetic, but maybe that's just my bias. I guess that would also depend on what the dominant types are in this hypothetical situation.
I totally don't know how to go about making a polysynthetic language, lol

Is anyone up for giving me some tips? Even just linking me to resources that might come in handy would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Ebon on 27 Jul 2016 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
mira
greek
greek

Re: AI/Robot language

Post by mira »

If you want it to be completely un-speakable for humans, then you could make an extremely intricate tonal phonology with sounds such as square waves and specific tones and waveforms.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

OTheB wrote:If you want it to be completely un-speakable for humans, then you could make an extremely intricate tonal phonology with sounds such as square waves and specific tones and waveforms.
I very much dislike making languages I can't pronounce. Probably should have mentioned that, sorry.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

looks nice (:

maybe you can take a look at pre-existing un-human-ish conlangs like Lojban or Ithkuil(this is from my perspective of view, you don't need to agree with me) to have some inspirations...at least Ithkuil seems to be too hard for human beings to master it...
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

k1234567890y wrote:looks nice (:

maybe you can take a look at pre-existing un-human-ish conlangs like Lojban or Ithkuil(this is from my perspective of view, you don't need to agree with me) to have some inspirations...at least Ithkuil seems to be too hard for human beings to master it...
...I've been told that Ithkuil is pretty weird, but that did not prepare me for what it actually *is*.
Lojban seems more doable, but that might be because I found a beginner crash course, hahaha.

I'm not even going to consider attempting something like Ithkuil, but it gave me some neat ideas to implement. Thanks for pointing me towards those two. :)
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

I decided to go polysynthetic with incorporation of...well, so far it's subjects and direct objects, but I'm going to try and squeeze as many things on the verbs as I can. I made up a few random roots and meshed them together and the result probably sucks and will need to be reworked completely, but man, is it fun.
I'm willing to bet my opinion on that will change sooner or later.
Plus, it looks like somebody barfed on an IPA keyboard. I love it. :mrgreen:

Furthermore, postbase madness. I want postbase madness.

I'll be looking at polysynthetic languages, both nat and con ones, and hopefully this will get somewhere sometime.