Conscripts that don't accurately display phonemes?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Conscripts that don't accurately display phonemes?

Post by gestaltist »

The conscript I'm currently working on (and the first one I ever tried to make) is a syllabary with a perfect phonetic correspondence. There is a catch, though: the correspondence isn't to the modern language, but to the protolanguage. Due to sound changes, most letters have more than one pronunciation, depending on context, and some have become more or less homophonic.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

gestaltist wrote:The conscript I'm currently working on (and the first one I ever tried to make) is a syllabary with a perfect phonetic correspondence. There is a catch, though: the correspondence isn't to the modern language, but to the protolanguage. Due to sound changes, most letters have more than one pronunciation, depending on context, and some have become more or less homophonic.
this sounds pretty natural (: sound change is a reason why many scripts for natural languages don't fit the pronunciations perfectly
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

k1234567890y wrote:
gestaltist wrote:The conscript I'm currently working on (and the first one I ever tried to make) is a syllabary with a perfect phonetic correspondence. There is a catch, though: the correspondence isn't to the modern language, but to the protolanguage. Due to sound changes, most letters have more than one pronunciation, depending on context, and some have become more or less homophonic.
this sounds pretty natural (: sound change is a reason why many scripts for natural languages don't fit the pronunciations perfectly
That's exactly why I'm doing it that way. :)
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Sounds great and I'd love to see it.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

clawgrip wrote:Sounds great and I'd love to see it.
I have 13 characters and I need 53. I will post it here when I have the whole script. :)
ZedSed
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by ZedSed »

gestaltist wrote:
I have 13 characters and I need 53. I will post it here when I have the whole script. :)
That's so weird! I just developed the outline of a (i) proto-lang*, (ii) and I just recently decided it needs a moraic-syllabary, (iii) which needs exactly 53 symbols!

*see “nine phoneme conlang (with oodles of allophones)

My question therefore ... is ...

...Are you my evil twin? [O.o]
bp dt ʣʦ ʤʧ ɖʈ ʥʨ ɟc gk ɢq ʡ ʔ
m ɱ n ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ
βɸ vf ðθ zs ʒʃ ʐʂ ʑɕ ʝç ɣx ʁχ ʕħ ʢʜ ɦh
ʋ ɹ ɻ j ɰ ʙ r ʀ ѵ ɾ ɽ ɮɬ l ɭ ʎ ʟ ɺ
ʘ ǀ ǃ ǂ ǁ ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ ʛ ʍ ɥ ɧ
i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u ɪ ʏ ʊ e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o ə ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ æ ɐ a ɶ ɑ ɒ

How do you transcribe a big wet smoochy-woochy?
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

ZedSed wrote:
gestaltist wrote:
That's so weird! I just developed the outline of a (i) proto-lang*, (ii) and I just recently decided it needs a moraic-syllabary, (iii) which needs exactly 53 symbols!

*see “nine phoneme conlang (with oodles of allophones)

My question therefore ... is ...

...Are you my evil twin? [O.o]
I can neither confirm nor deny it...

If it's any consolation, the protolang I base the syllabary on has 27 phonemes.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

If I ever make it, my planned script for Pazmat is a Devanagari-esque quasi-abugida (there are glyphs for each consonant, and diacritics for the vowels, but the consonant glyphs do not have "inherent" vowels like an abugida) where each consonant has a reduced form to be used in clusters. The vowels however are much more archaic and mostly reflect Old Pazmat pronunciation. For instance, the Pazmat vowel <ū> can be spelled three different ways: II UU ĒR, because it comes from three different Old Pazmat vowels. Retroflexes are still just the palatals with a diacritic (formed from the old glyph for /r/) and the <y> glyph is also used for <ṣ> when it's formed from underlying yC. Granted, that last factor does mean that Pazmat has more regular spelling than the romanization: uyarā "nothing" and uṣrāva "within nothing" are spelled <UYARŌ> and <UYRŌVA> in Pazmat.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S