Introductory Research into Turkic/Mongolic?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Isfendil
greek
greek

Introductory Research into Turkic/Mongolic?

Post by Isfendil »

Very simple question here: What Turkic or Mongolic language is a very good intro to understanding how the grammar of said languages work? I hear that Turkish itself is very regular but I am wondering if the whole family is that way or not.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Re: Introductory Research into Turkic/Mongolic?

Post by k1234567890y »

Sadly I don't know any Turkic or Mongolic language, although I possess some knowledge of a Tungusic language, it is Manchu, however, Manchu is slightly more irregular compared to Japanese and Turkish I think.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

k1234567890y wrote:Sadly I don't know any Turkic or Mongolic language, although I possess some knowledge of a Tungusic language, it is Manchu, however, Manchu is slightly more irregular compared to Japanese and Turkish I think.
Manchu wouldn't happen to be both tonal and agglutinative, would it?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Isfendil wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:Sadly I don't know any Turkic or Mongolic language, although I possess some knowledge of a Tungusic language, it is Manchu, however, Manchu is slightly more irregular compared to Japanese and Turkish I think.
Manchu is not tonal as what I know, you misunderstood?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

k1234567890y wrote:
Isfendil wrote:
No I was just curious. It is agglutinative, though? And what are the extent/nature of its irregularities?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Isfendil wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:
Isfendil wrote:
No I was just curious. It is agglutinative, though? And what are the extent/nature of its irregularities?
yes, it is agglutinative, however, the plural forms of few nouns and the conjugations of several verbs are different.

While the regular conjugation pattern of a Manchu Verb follow the following rules, and vowel harmony should be considered in certain cases:

- present/future: -mbi
- future/present(also used for attributive verbs in present tense, like Japanese, Manchu uses attributive verb to form relative clauses): -ra/-re/-ro
- past(or perfective): -ha/-he/-ho
- converb I: -me
- converb II(indicating the action of the verb ended with -fi happens first): -fi
- desiderative: -ki
- imperative: -Ø
- prohibitive: the future/present form+the preverbal word ume

these are not all, but I think what I have listed are the more common ones

an example of the conjugation pattern of a regular verb in Manchu is genembi " to go":

- present/future: gene-mbi
- future/present: gene-re
- past(or perfective): gene-he
- converb I: gene-me
- converb II(indicating the action of the verb ended with -fi happens first): gene-fi
- desiderative: gene-ki
- imperative: gene
- prohibitive: ume genere

however, some verbs are irregular for example, the conjugation of the verb jembi "to eat" is irregular in certain forms(irregular forms are in bold):

- present/future: je-mbi
- future/present: jetere
- past(or perfective): jeke
- converb I: je-me
- converb II(indicating the action of the verb ended with -fi happens first): je-fi
- desiderative: je-ki
- imperative: jefu
- prohibitive: ume jetere

another example irregular verb is the verb sembi "to say"(irregular forms are in bold):

- present/future: se-mbi
- future/present: se-re
- past(or perfective): sengke
- converb I: se-me
- converb II(indicating the action of the verb ended with -fi happens first): sempi(it seems that the phoneme /p/, represented by <p>, is rare in native Manchu words)
- desiderative: se-ki
- imperative: se
- prohibitive: ume se-re
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Do you know how those came to be? The first irregular almost looks like two verbs wwere conflated with each other.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Isfendil wrote:Do you know how those came to be? The first irregular almost looks like two verbs wwere conflated with each other.
uncertain, unless I get data of other Tungusic languages and really done some serious research, but my guess is that the original root form of jembi might be something like jep-, and the original future form might be something like jep-dere(which then became jeptere and then jettere, a similar sound change has happened in Italian, Italian otto is from Latin octo), and the older imperative form might be -u rather than simply dropping the present ending.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

k1234567890y wrote:
Isfendil wrote:Do you know how those came to be? The first irregular almost looks like two verbs wwere conflated with each other.
uncertain, unless I get data of other Tungusic languages and really done some serious research, but my guess is that the original root form of jembi might be something like jep-, and the original future form might be something like jep-dere(which then became jeptere and then jettere, a similar sound change has happened in Italian, Italian otto is from Latin octo), and the older imperative form might be -u rather than simply dropping the present ending.
Manchu seems really interesting. Why do you study it? Do you study the Qing, too? How did they work with this?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Isfendil wrote: Manchu seems really interesting. Why do you study it? Do you study the Qing, too? How did they work with this?
Originally I wanted to created an Altaic conlang for one of my conworlds...but I couldn't make something satisfying...so I decided to directly make a posteriori based on Manchu, and give them a background that they came to my conworld sometime before the Qing dynasty.

Btw, I think I know more about the Chinese history than the history of the western world.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

k1234567890y wrote:
Isfendil wrote: Manchu seems really interesting. Why do you study it? Do you study the Qing, too? How did they work with this?
Originally I wanted to created an Altaic conlang for one of my conworlds...but I couldn't make something satisfying...so I decided to directly make a posteriori based on Manchu, and give them a background that they came to my conworld sometime before the Qing dynasty.

Btw, I think I know more about the Chinese history than the history of the western world.
This is not a bad thing.

So how proficient are you with Manchu?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Isfendil wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:

This is not a bad thing.

So how proficient are you with Manchu?
I don't think I am very proficient with it, but I can at least type some sentences, and I only know the romanization of Manchu...