What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Isfendil
greek
greek

What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Isfendil »

What is the Spezia-Rimini line- or rather, what does it mean and how are languages on each side of the line fundamentally different from each other? I know what it is, I suppose.
And, how do I completely ignore it without making a terrible roman tongue?
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: What is the Spezia-Rimini line?

Post by Egerius »

The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

If you want to ‘completely ignore’ it, maybe you should take a look at Sardinian, which branched off so early that the La Spezia-Rimini line didn't exist yet.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Egerius wrote:The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

If you want to ‘completely ignore’ it, maybe you should take a look at Sardinian, which branched off so early that the La Spezia-Rimini line didn't exist yet.
Is that all? And also, if Sardinian is not like the others, what does it do for its own plurals?
Avo
greek
greek

Post by Avo »

Isfendil wrote:
Egerius wrote:The La Spezia-Rimini line is not to be ignored. East of this line, all Romance languages form their plurals by vowel change, because the final -s was dropped very early. West of this line, plurals were formed by adding an -s, as it wasn't dropped there until much later.

Is that all? And also, if Sardinian is not like the others, what does it do for its own plurals?
With -s, like Western Romance. It doesn't share a lot of isoglosses with either West or East Romance though, that's why it is its own branch.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Avo wrote:
Isfendil wrote:

With -s, like Western Romance. It doesn't share a lot of isoglosses with either West or East Romance though, that's why it is its own branch.
So then what are these isogloss differences?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I was writing a long post about the isogloss differences, but then my computer overheated and I lost everything. To summarize what I wrote: You really shouldn't worry about it, the Romance family is determined by much more than a couple of lines. Just do what you like. (That being said, do research on Romance languages. Wikipedia is a good start)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

qwed117 wrote:I was writing a long post about the isogloss differences, but then my computer overheated and I lost everything. To summarize what I wrote: You really shouldn't worry about it, the Romance family is determined by much more than a couple of lines. Just do what you like. (That being said, do research on Romance languages. Wikipedia is a good start)
Aaaiii that sucks! For the both of us. Sorry about that! At any rate, thank you. I will do as I please and research.