Avoiding medial consonant clusters while allowing coda

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Avoiding medial consonant clusters while allowing coda

Post by gestaltist »

teknave wrote:
gestaltist wrote:Why not the schwa?
Hm... :?: Why the schwa? I don't know much about it.
Because the schwa is right in the middle of the vowel chart. It's the "neutral" vowel in a way. But clawgrip gave you more and better options so...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I forgot another possibility (which I have used in my one of my own languages) is that there are a couple possible epenthetic vowels that occur, but which one a particular noun uses is lexically determined. So probably the stem used to be a vowel-final stem, but the last vowel gets dropped in most instances.
teknave
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by teknave »

gestaltist wrote:Because the schwa is right in the middle of the vowel chart. It's the "neutral" vowel in a way. But clawgrip gave you more and better options so...
Makes sense! Will be useful to my next works. Thx.
clawgrip wrote:I forgot another possibility (which I have used in my one of my own languages) is that there are a couple possible epenthetic vowels that occur, but which one a particular noun uses is lexically determined. So probably the stem used to be a vowel-final stem, but the last vowel gets dropped in most instances.
Too complex for me. But it is a cool idea.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Not so complex, really. Example from my language:

vowel stem:
ba.nta, ba.ih, ba.reta, ba.rih

Consonant stems:
wes.u.nta, wes.ih, wes.reta, wes.rih
kis.i.nta, kis.ih, kis.reta, kis.rih
uh.a.nta, uh.ih, uh.reta, uh.rih

The nominative singular form (the first one) has an extra vowel that is dropped in all the other forms, but there is no predictable pattern for which vowel will appear because it's actually part of the root, in a sense.