the Cantetsoqo Language /ʀantɛt͡soʔo/

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

the Cantetsoqo Language /ʀantɛt͡soʔo/

Post by Taurenzine »

So this topic is about a language that I'm working on, and I'll post updates on my language, along with questions about how to do this and that. So for this first post, I'll get you up to date on Phonology and Phonotactics:
So I've gotten comments on this phonology, saying that my vowels are kinda funky... I'm open to suggestions, and I have tried to change it, but I do very much like the ones I have, whether they're realistic for a naturalistic language (yes naturalistic) or not. But I want to put emphasis on the fact that I am very open to suggestions. Like seriously, tell me what you think.

So for phonotactics, I have this:
-(C)(V)(C) this is only my first language... I was thinking maybe (C)(C)(V)(C)... tell me what you think.
-All consonants and consonant variations are allowed in the Onset
-All Vowels and Diphthongs are allowed in the Nucleus
-For Coda, the simple version is that you can use everything. the complicated version is that affricates and trills, although can be used will most likely not (I dunno, we'll see) AND that plosives (except for the glottal stop) if they end a syllable and there is no syllable afterwards, MUST BE ASPIRATED.

these phonotactics are not set in stone, I'm kinda experimenting with what I like. but for now this is pretty good.

Any comments?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: the Cantetsoqo Language /ʀantɛt͡soʔo/

Post by Ahzoh »

A language with /ʀ/ is one that wins.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Ahzoh wrote:A language with /ʀ/ is one that wins.
I agree. It's really fun to pronounce.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Taurenzine wrote: So I've gotten comments on this phonology, saying that my vowels are kinda funky... I'm open to suggestions, and I have tried to change it, but I do very much like the ones I have, whether they're realistic for a naturalistic language (yes naturalistic) or not. But I want to put emphasis on the fact that I am very open to suggestions. Like seriously, tell me what you think.
I like your vowels - I think they are fine, but there would likely be some allophonic variation. Specifically, either /ɛ/ or /ɯ/ would be likely to move towards the open-front end of the spectrum. However, since you don't have /j/ or anything palatal anyway, I think there is no big problem even if you don't want [e~i] even allophonically. Such a phonology may be unstable over the long term, but there's no reason to not have it as a synchronic state of events
-(C)(V)(C) this is only my first language... I was thinking maybe (C)(C)(V)(C)... tell me what you think.
-For Coda, the simple version is that you can use everything. the complicated version is that affricates and trills, although can be used will most likely not (I dunno, we'll see) AND that plosives (except for the glottal stop) if they end a syllable and there is no syllable afterwards, MUST BE ASPIRATED.

these phonotactics are not set in stone, I'm kinda experimenting with what I like. but for now this is pretty good.
You might wanna think some more about the ways secondary articulations behave depending on their position in the word and/or syllable. Obligatory word-final aspiration is a little odd - I think the opposite is more likely - although it's not odd enough to not have it the way you like. ;) What happens to the labialized consonants in this position though? Do they use labialization and become aspirated instead?
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

gestaltist wrote:
Taurenzine wrote: So I've gotten comments on this phonology, saying that my vowels are kinda funky... I'm open to suggestions, and I have tried to change it, but I do very much like the ones I have, whether they're realistic for a naturalistic language (yes naturalistic) or not. But I want to put emphasis on the fact that I am very open to suggestions. Like seriously, tell me what you think.
I like your vowels - I think they are fine, but there would likely be some allophonic variation. Specifically, either /ɛ/ or /ɯ/ would be likely to move towards the open-front end of the spectrum. However, since you don't have /j/ or anything palatal anyway, I think there is no big problem even if you don't want [e~i] even allophonically. Such a phonology may be unstable over the long term, but there's no reason to not have it as a synchronic state of events
I suppose as I develop the language further, I can evolve the vowels a bit.

You might wanna think some more about the ways secondary articulations behave depending on their position in the word and/or syllable. Obligatory word-final aspiration is a little odd - I think the opposite is more likely - although it's not odd enough to not have it the way you like. ;) What happens to the labialized consonants in this position though? Do they use labialization and become aspirated instead?
Like I said, I have to test how this system sounds to see if I like it... this language is meant to be artistic, So i'd like it to sound good in the ears of it's creator. that's why I'm not sure if I'm going to keep these phonotactics. I might make it so that rather than being aspirated, it simply cannot end on its own, AKA a vowel has to come after it. maybe I'll make that vowel specifically a /ə/ or something, and have that vowel not used anywhere else except for after the last consonant in the final syllable IF the last consonant is a plosive. or maybe I'll remove the concept of letting plosives end a syllable completely, and just add it into the phonotactics that plosives simply cannot end a syllable. who knows? I just need to work it out. I say that I'm done with my phonology, but TBH im not done with it until I see how it can be used and how it sounds, because if I hear it and dont like it, I'm most likely going to change it. When it comes to the labialised plosives, I was thinking that they would sorta be considered a cluster of itself and /w/. However I don't know, I might want to make it its own sound. however one thing is clear: it simply doesn't end syllables. not just plosives, anything labialised has to be in the onset. Thank you for the input, its always appreciated [:D]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Taurenzine wrote:I might make it so that rather than being aspirated, it simply cannot end on its own, AKA a vowel has to come after it. maybe I'll make that vowel specifically a /ə/ or something, and have that vowel not used anywhere else except for after the last consonant in the final syllable IF the last consonant is a plosive.
Adding an epenthetic vowel was my first thought, to be honest. I thought you might add a vowel corresponding to the secondary articulation of the plosive, e.g. /o/ after a labialized stop, and /a/ after an aspirated one.

Other than that, it looks like the language is not set in stone yet, so good luck finding the right aesthetic. :)
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

gestaltist wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:I might make it so that rather than being aspirated, it simply cannot end on its own, AKA a vowel has to come after it. maybe I'll make that vowel specifically a /ə/ or something, and have that vowel not used anywhere else except for after the last consonant in the final syllable IF the last consonant is a plosive.
Adding an epenthetic vowel was my first thought, to be honest. I thought you might add a vowel corresponding to the secondary articulation of the plosive, e.g. /o/ after a labialized stop, and /a/ after an aspirated one.

Other than that, it looks like the language is not set in stone yet, so good luck finding the right aesthetic. :)
Thank you :)
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

I've actually been thinking... Maybe I shouldn't make this a naturalistic language. Maybe it should be an auxlang. I mean this is my first time making a language, going all the way to a natlang first time is a bit much... So what do you think? Auxlang or natlang?
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Taurenzine wrote:I've actually been thinking... Maybe I shouldn't make this a naturalistic language. Maybe it should be an auxlang. I mean this is my first time making a language, going all the way to a natlang first time is a bit much... So what do you think? Auxlang or natlang?
Why not just make a language that you like?
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

gestaltist wrote:
Taurenzine wrote:I've actually been thinking... Maybe I shouldn't make this a naturalistic language. Maybe it should be an auxlang. I mean this is my first time making a language, going all the way to a natlang first time is a bit much... So what do you think? Auxlang or natlang?
Why not just make a language that you like?
I suppose so... To be honest, I would like it more if it ended up being more naturalistic. But when I look at real Naturalistic Languages, I see that the language is more than just a form of communication. It's a form of communication specified for the culture that it evolved in. If one day everyone traded languages with someone who spoke a different language, I believe that there would be issues. not for everyone, but for lots of them. That's why languages borrow words from other languages, because each language is unique.

To sum all of this up, I'm basically saying that If I was to make a naturalistic language I would want to make a culture for it first. Which I might be willing to do. I believe if you want to make a truly good naturalistic language that is what you MUST do. So if I want to hold off on the language stuff for a while, I think I'm gonna go and do that. Or maybe not. I dunno. But I think I'm gonna stick with Natlang if anything.
Taurenzine
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Taurenzine »

Basically, I'm gonna take a break from the subset of world-building that is conlanging, and focus on the larger topic of simple world building. just for fun.