A little head start on lexicon.

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
mira
greek
greek

A little head start on lexicon.

Post by mira »

I have reached the point with my conlang where I should start working on a lexicon as I have loads of grammar and having some words to use for translations would be useful to help find areas to work on in grammar. The catch is, I still can't do it after some 20 attempts.

What I thought would be the best way of learning would be like riding a bike: Get help starting off, then continue by yourself once you're moving - just without the falling over and grazing your knee bit.

What I'd like help with is choosing some word roots and making little groups of characters for them, then make 10 or so words with a guide and explanation of the whole thought process and how you got from roots to a word and a meaning. Once I understand it, I can then use that as a guide to continue on by myself and make the rest of my lexicon. This could also be a fairly good resource for other people that might be new to conlanging and need ideas for lexicon.

Thanks for any help.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner