Does my grammar make sense?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Re: Does my grammar make sense?

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Adarain wrote:
Frislander wrote:
MrKrov wrote:Define more accurate.
More accurate in the sense that /w/ is more labial than it is velar articulation-wise.
I mean it's the approximant equivalent to [k͡p]. You could call it a labialized velar approximant [ɰʷ] or a velarized labial approximant [β̞ˠ]. Whether you classify the phoneme as anything in particular only matters if it takes part in alterations that are restricted to a certain PoA.
That would be [ɰβ], not [ɰʷ], i.e. the “Japanese W”.

β] is a labial-velar approximant, i.e. a consonant that has two points of approach*: one is between the lips (as in [β̞]), the other is between the dorsum and the velum (as in [ɰ]).

[ɰʷ], or [w], is a labiovelar approximant, i.e. labialized velar approximant, i.e. a velar approximant with lip rounding. There is only one point of approach*: dorsum-velum (as in [ɰ]), but the lips don't produce an approximant, they are rounded instead.

*) By “approach” I mean the closest distance two parts of the mouth can have without producing a fricative, i.e. the state of producing an approximant.

So, [w] is actually “more” velar than labial.

And then, there's [ɰβʷ].
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

The problem is - I guess - that rounding vs. labial approach plus rounding are difficult to distinguish in approximants.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Maybe not at the phonemic level, but I can imagine a language with /β̞/ vs /ɰ/ contrast and anticipatory assimilation to the following vowel, contrasting e.g. /β̞u/ [ɰβʷu] and /ɰu/ [ɰʷu].

(Depending how common each of the phonemes is, it can end with a merger or not.)
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Ear of the Sphinx wrote:And then, there's [ɰβʷ].
How is that articulated?