How to make an Indo-Iranian conlang?

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
samsam
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

How to make an Indo-Iranian conlang?

Post by samsam »

Hello everyone,
I want to make an Indo-Iranian conlang (mostly Iranian) based on Proto-Indo-Iranian, Avestan, Old Persian and Sanskrit.
I know that I'll put an augment for the imperfect tense. I know that if an aspirated consonant is followed by another aspirated consonant in the next syllable, the first one loses the aspiration too. But there are a lot of things that I hesitate between two options (do as avestan or sanskrit for example.)

Do you have any tips for (Indo-)Iranian conlangs? Or features I could put in it?
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: How to make an Indo-Iranian conlang?

Post by Shemtov »

I'm making a new branch of Indo-Iranian with one language: Yr̄ Phāsā. The idea is that a group branched off and settled at the border of the Indosphere and Sinosphere. I have no access to any resources on PII, so I'm taking resources on Gathic Avestan and Vedic Sanskrit, and making my own reconstruction and then running through the sound changes.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
samsam
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by samsam »

I quickly googled "Gathic Avestan" and found the origin of /ǝ/ in Avesta (I searched it during 3 hours and didn't find it before) and other sound changes and their origin.
Thanks a lot Shemtov !
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

It might be old news to you, but Benjamin W. Fortson IV's Indo-European Language and Culture: An Introduction contains a chapter each on the Indic and Iranian languages and might be a good source of inspiration. It shouldn't be hard to find at a library, but there are also PDFs available (albeit illegal) online.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
samsam
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by samsam »

Thanks for your information Clio !