Con-Script Development Centre

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Keenir »

clawgrip wrote:If you've never designed a logographic script before and you want assistance on its development, here's a good example of how to do that.
tried my hand at it... http://rodlox.deviantart.com/art/Speedc ... -604595998 with each step spelled out. basic glyphs, small group of phone(me)s, and some examples. (written right to left)
going to nap now. may transcribe to a post later
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

History of the Kàleshian script:
The Kàleshian script was originally an alphabet (though before that it was an logography). However, around 800 years ago, a High Priest named K'arman codified it into an Abugida, based on this quote from Malasim's Commentary to The Book of Ces (the Kàleshian scriptures):
[The Book of Ces says] "Pray carefully, for some of your words are like your bodies when you do good with Ces [G-d], and some are like the sacrifices you offer to him". Meaning, that words have souls, being the vowels, and bodies, being the consonants. And the consonants sometimes have their "mouths" open, in an open syllable, but otherwise they are closed. And some vowels, they are close to consonants [/i/ and /u/]. They float above the body like the souls of the sacrificial animals.
Based on this, K'arman "connected" the vowels to the consonants, sorrounding the vowels in closed syllables. And the high vowels "float above".
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
deli73
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by deli73 »

Rough sketch of a syllabic alphabet for Hypu:

Planning to make this into the font, but having 100 different characters makes that.... difficult. Any suggestions?
Native: :eng: | Intermediate/Learning: :fra: | Planning to learn: :epo: :con:(various conlangs)

Conlangs: ("bî"), Pilit -> Kapeti ("kypyti"), Hypu, Proto-Datian, Tsuto, Temmie ("tem")

Current status: conlanging~
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

My suggestion is to make a font with 100 characters. Time-consuming, sure, but not impossible by any means.

What's the difference between the two versions of each character?
deli73
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by deli73 »

clawgrip wrote:My suggestion is to make a font with 100 characters. Time-consuming, sure, but not impossible by any means.

What's the difference between the two versions of each character?
Yeah, that seems like the best course of action here.
The difference is basically just an added line somewhere. It's the "long" variant that lengthens the vowel and gives the syllable stress (which overrides the default penultimate stress)
Native: :eng: | Intermediate/Learning: :fra: | Planning to learn: :epo: :con:(various conlangs)

Conlangs: ("bî"), Pilit -> Kapeti ("kypyti"), Hypu, Proto-Datian, Tsuto, Temmie ("tem")

Current status: conlanging~
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I'm testing out modifying the Naduta script for use with the unrelated Tuchuqfa language, about a millennium after the heyday of the Naduta.

The simplification of the syllabary is in some cases more extreme than the logography, and in some cases not. Here is a sample (the first line is logographic characters, the following two lines are from the syllabary):

I'm not completely sure what I think of this. Any opinions/suggestions/etc?

Also not exactly sure how I will apply this script to Tuchuqfa, which is a very different language.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

clawgrip wrote:I'm testing out modifying the Naduta script for use with the unrelated Tuchuqfa language, about a millennium after the heyday of the Naduta.
The simplification of the syllabary is in some cases more extreme than the logography, and in some cases not. Here is a sample (the first line is logographic characters, the following two lines are from the syllabary):
I'm not completely sure what I think of this. Any opinions/suggestions/etc?
I like all four rows, and can see nothing to change; sorry.
Also not exactly sure how I will apply this script to Tuchuqfa, which is a very different language.
maybe one set of the signs (one row of the shown) has an inherent vowel, with the two of them nestled within the syllable <ba>[.ba.]....and another set of the signs (another row) is a vowel followed by either an inherent consonant or vowel, the two of them parted by a syllable break <tae><tab>[ta.e] [ta.b]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

The syllabary already has a few syllable-final consonant signs, so I suppose a few characters could be repurposed, making it a combined syllabary-alphabet. I think I will have to rely on the logograms to conceal the more complex syllable structures. Like say, declensions like this:

ĕtwapkh-ĕ
ĕtwapkh-ĕl
ĕtwapkh-ĕr
ĕtwápp-mun
ĕtwápc-cã
ĕtwápkh-ĕs
ĕtwápp-lús
ĕtwápp-rús
ĕtwápkh-ĕnthú
ĕtwápt-thú

could be written as:
<LOGO>
<LOGO>-l
<LOGO>-r
<LOGO>-mun
<LOGO>-cã
<LOGO>-ĕs
<LOGO>-lus
<LOGO>-rus
<LOGO>-nthu
<LOGO>-thu

So the phonetic portion of the script can be insufficient for writing the language fully, but enough for the suffixes.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

So this is basically how it will work, I guess.

In Naduta, we have Image phah- "write" and Image reu- "mark; symbol", combined to make Image phahreu- "writing; alphabet; script"

In Tuchuqfa, Image becomes Image kán- "write" and Image becomes Image qót- "mark; spot". These are combined the same way as Naduta to get Image ĕtwápkh- "writing; alphabet; script". This makes it an ateji compound, because both the Naduta and Tuchuqfa pronunciations of each sign are ignored; only the actual semantics of the characters are retained.

So with this character, we can add phonetic signs to mark the suffixes:

These declensions:
ĕtwápkhĕ
ĕtwápkhĕl
ĕtwápkhĕr
ĕtwáppmun
ĕtwapccã
ĕtwápkhĕs
ĕtwapplús
ĕtwapprús
ĕtwapkhĕnthú
ĕtwaptthú

are written as:

which works out as:

ĕtwapkh
ĕtwapkh-l
ĕtwapkh-r
ĕtwapkh-mu-n
ĕtwapkh-cã
ĕtwapkh-s
ĕtwapkh-lu-s
ĕtwapkh-ru-s
ĕtwapkh-n-thu
ĕtwapkh-thu
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

looks like it was written using charcoal. [;)]
A signature.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Not entirely sure what it's written with, honestly.

The fun thing about this script is that it conceals the vowel alteration that sometimes occurs in various conjugations/declensions of stems. For example:

Image kán "I write"
Image ĕknyó "we write"

The glyph for the stem remains the same; the only difference is the addition of the phonetic sign for yo.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I'm having some fun with this conversion of the Naduta script to Tuchuqfa. Some weird stuff is turning up. As an example, the character Image (from Naduta Image biti- "to wrap; to cover") has at least four pronunciations:

The native Tuchuqfa pronunciation is:
Image jíx- "to cover"

It also retains the superstrate Naduta pronunciation biti-. However, Tuchuqfa phonology causes this to get a bit mixed up, e.g.:

Image thúpth(ĕ)- "delivery" (from Naduta Image tubiti-)
Image yústt(h)- "knowledge; wisdom" (from Naduta Image yusbiti-)
Image pitkír- "complete" (from Naduta Image bitigir-)

The character in isolation would theoretically be ĕpthí, but I'm not sure there would be any time this would occur. Probably pith- would be the best base pronunciation for this character. So:
  • jíx-
  • pth(ĕ)-
  • tt(h)-
  • pith-
  • (ĕpthí)
(I might also add a native Tuchuqfa verb for "to wrap" which would add another pronunciation)

I look forward to discovering more nonsense like this.
Last edited by clawgrip on 22 May 2016 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

So you have something similar to the onyomi and kunyomi of Japanese? Nice!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Yeah, that was one of my goals from the start. There are also phonetic complements that don't work for native Tuchuqfa words, like in Japanese. For example, both Image mám- "to know" and Image ś- "chest" have the phonetic sign Image yu, which has nothing to do with Tuchuqfa and reflects the Naduta pronunciations yus- "to know" and yur- "chest".
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I'm creating a Logographic script for Fuman.
The graphs are composed from 42 strokes:
And here are six characters with their meanings beneath them:
Thoughts?
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Shemtov wrote:I'm creating a Logographic script for Fuman.
The graphs are composed from 42 strokes:
And here are six characters with their meanings beneath them:
Thoughts?
I have a question, what tool are using to make the letter forms? I think using Inkscape's calligraphy tool would produce neater results.
qwed117 wrote:Image
An attempt to create an anti-abugida failed and I ultimately just created an alphabet. Too bad. It's one of the two official Akuriga sentences. This is from the CWS song, "Just Can't Wait to Be King"
/tis visɹan kɛʃɛɹ ɛkatjos lɛtɹada/
"Kings don't take advice"

The only part that actually came out good was the first word <tis>. Everything else was a mess up. I wrote it much better in pencil, than in Inkscape.
I think it's probably okay to transfer this from the "What did you accomplish today" thread,
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

How do you write 5 or 31 for that matter? Also house uses a stroke that doesn't exist above...
jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

These are some diacritics I made for my alpha syllabary, they are put under the glyph and indicate tone and the medial consonant.

A signature.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:How do you write 5 or 31 for that matter? Also house uses a stroke that doesn't exist above...
I don't think it was meant to be counting . But given that, it's only 40 different strokes. And there's no word "house" shown.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Keenir wrote:
clawgrip wrote:If you've never designed a logographic script before and you want assistance on its development, here's a good example of how to do that.
tried my hand at it... http://rodlox.deviantart.com/art/Speedc ... -604595998 with each step spelled out. basic glyphs, small group of phone(me)s, and some examples. (written right to left)
going to nap now. may transcribe to a post later
very belated, but...