What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Chagen
runic
runic

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Chagen »

Yup!

That's supposed to be "Maryusic", a Latinized term that ultimately means "sea-dwellers".
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Haha, I was reading that and thought to myself, "I think I would've remembered if Chagen said he was going to make a language named Maryland, that's weird." Only afterward did it occur to me that yes, it's not actually called "Maryland".
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

I've started compiling a proper document detailing Volarian, but all that morphophonology is so annoying to put down in a table.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Ælfwine wrote:Playing around with agglutinating Old Norse:

I walk - eggang I-Walk
I will walk - eggangsko I-Walk-Shall
I can walk - eggangget I-Walk-Can

To me a romlang seemed a bit more natural, as I can potentially build the language around the verbs with regularized suffixes, but I don't know.
So that is why I tried, but not with a romlang.

hafða + ek = hafðak “I have”
kann + ek = kannk “I can”
heyr + tú = heyrtu “You hear”
fórt + sú = fórsu “She went”
etc.

I'm unsure on how this will work into phrases like "I can see," whereas the regular form of see is sér. Perhaps sérkannk? Usually I have the personal suffixes right after the verb.
Last edited by Ælfwine on 28 Sep 2016 06:56, edited 2 times in total.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Today, I worked with my nephew to document a language he made up.

Some of it was just a change of one letter (cushion=tushion, for example, and napkin=shapkin)

...but at least half of those, changed the word's vowel, usually from a short vowel to a long vowel (and=faand, in the sense of "i and my friend")

But the most original parts, to my eye, at least, were these:
attack = beekaanan
retreat = reekanan

(at one point, he looked at me, and said "'how are you?' is one word"...and I told him, "that's perfectly okay, and lots of languages do that"....and the word he coined is showsharshu; based on where else in the wordlist the -shu- and -shuu- appears, I suspect it may be feminine)

At the end, I asked him whether, when things are said, nouns come first, or if verbs do (he learned them in school)..."is it Retreats Tony or is it Tony Retreats?" Under most circumstances, its noun-first ('tony retreats')....but, as he then added, "Sometimes its verb-noun", giving the example of "Attack Tony."

Tomorrow, if he remembers any of it, I'll ask him about word order (how to tell who's doing what to who, using the words he's already given me)

It was fun!
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Today, I finally set up a guard file so that while I'm editing the markdown documents for my conworld, I don't have to hop over to Terminal and `make deploy` every single time. Now I just need to make it auto-reload my browser :)

...yes, I keep all my information in markdown (/svg for flags) files in a private git repository. It makes things easier in terms of backup, and I get a nice history (not that I ever use it). I then have a Makefile that allows me to run all the markdown files through MultiMarkdown (/svg files through mogrify) and drop them into a site directory, which I can then rsync up to my web server. Someday I'll share that link :)

Otherwise, I'm currently starting to think of the name of my conworld as "Mto", at least in the lingua franca, Situnyan. This is curious to me, as the primary Situnyan city (and largest/busiest city in the world) is "Kyamto", and I find myself wondering if the two are related, or I just really like the "mt" sound.

I also spent some time fleshing out a cosmology. Now that I have that and a (really) rough continents map, I keep telling myself I should do an effortpost on the world, and start actually figuring out climates (so that I can adjust the map in cases where my preconceived climate notions don't fit where I ended up putting things).

Conworlding while novel-writing is fun, because it's kind of like going to a buffet every day. You have so many different things you can nibble on, and you can choose a different thing each day. So sometimes I work on the actual novel, but other times when I'm in a bit more of a writer's block (like now), I can work on one of the languages (and each language needs its own work) or on cosmology, or geography, or climate, or fleshing out gazetteer pages for each of the nations...

On the other hand, it's like going to a buffet that has a million dishes. No matter how many days you go and how many things you eat, there's always so many more you just haven't quite gotten to yet, and it just seems never-ending.
Conworld: Mto
:con: : Kuvian
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

4000 CWS entities for Urban Basanawa
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Axiem wrote: Conworlding while novel-writing is fun, because it's kind of like going to a buffet every day. You have so many different things you can nibble on, and you can choose a different thing each day. So sometimes I work on the actual novel, but other times when I'm in a bit more of a writer's block (like now), I can work on one of the languages (and each language needs its own work) or on cosmology, or geography, or climate, or fleshing out gazetteer pages for each of the nations...

On the other hand, it's like going to a buffet that has a million dishes. No matter how many days you go and how many things you eat, there's always so many more you just haven't quite gotten to yet, and it just seems never-ending.
Gahhh it never endsssss.

Okay, so you start off with, like, the basics of political entities and biology if you have non-humans and geography and normal stuff like that, but then one day you look up and you're writing an elaborate explanation of legal separation and divorce laws, or an essay on whether or not the use of portals violates causality, or a list of every matriarch/patriarch in a major family since AD 1512, and that's when you know you've been sucked into a pit from which you will never escape.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

alynnidalar wrote:
Axiem wrote: Conworlding while novel-writing is fun, because it's kind of like going to a buffet every day. You have so many different things you can nibble on, and you can choose a different thing each day. So sometimes I work on the actual novel, but other times when I'm in a bit more of a writer's block (like now), I can work on one of the languages (and each language needs its own work) or on cosmology, or geography, or climate, or fleshing out gazetteer pages for each of the nations...

Gahhh it never endsssss.

Okay, so you start off with, like, the basics of political entities and biology if you have non-humans and geography and normal stuff like that, but then one day you look up and you're writing an elaborate explanation of legal separation and divorce laws, or an essay on whether or not the use of portals violates causality, or a list of every matriarch/patriarch in a major family since AD 1512, and that's when you know you've been sucked into a pit from which you will never escape.
I kinda want to be sucked by that pit, to be honest.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Axiem wrote:Today, I finally set up a guard file so that while I'm editing the markdown documents for my conworld, I don't have to hop over to Terminal and `make deploy` every single time. Now I just need to make it auto-reload my browser :)

...yes, I keep all my information in markdown (/svg for flags) files in a private git repository. It makes things easier in terms of backup, and I get a nice history (not that I ever use it). I then have a Makefile that allows me to run all the markdown files through MultiMarkdown (/svg files through mogrify) and drop them into a site directory, which I can then rsync up to my web server. Someday I'll share that link :)
I also store everything in Markdown but I simply use Dropbox - Git feels overkill/too much work. Plus DB is easily accessible from any platform.
Otherwise, I'm currently starting to think of the name of my conworld as "Mto", at least in the lingua franca, Situnyan. This is curious to me, as the primary Situnyan city (and largest/busiest city in the world) is "Kyamto", and I find myself wondering if the two are related, or I just really like the "mt" sound.
How about "kya" means navel?
I also spent some time fleshing out a cosmology. Now that I have that and a (really) rough continents map, I keep telling myself I should do an effortpost on the world, and start actually figuring out climates (so that I can adjust the map in cases where my preconceived climate notions don't fit where I ended up putting things).
Cosmology, yay! Please make a post about it. I'm also working on the cosmology of my newest conworld - but it's more of an alternate universe kinda thing. There are no planets and no stars, for example.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Sorry for the double post but I just thought about a new thing for Tisisito that I think is neat.

Preliminary information: in Tisisito, there are agreement markers on verbs - both for the subject and the direct object. I.e., 1sg-kill-PST-3sg = I killed him.

Now, the new thing I thought of is that for transitive verbs stemming from previous serial-verb/ACI constructions, the stem would have two parts, and the agreement suffix (for the direct object) would actually become an infix:

1sg-send_away_1-3sg-send_away_2 = I send him away - and this from earlier "I tell/order he goes."

These verbs would be a closed group, no longer productive since Tisisito doesn't have serial verb constructions, unlike its ancestor.

However, some verbs would have been used for evidential and/or aspectual purposes:

*I watch he died => He died (as personally witnessed by me).

This will be the only group that is still productive in the modern language.
SLiV
sinic
sinic

Post by SLiV »

Yesterday I spent all day rewriting my Project Efetik code. I now want to use it to create three fusional languages from the same list of roots, using only sound changes. I realized I could also encode the agglutinative inflection rules themselves as sound changes, and that allows the three languages to have somewhat differing grammars. Adding daughter-specific neologisms and merging certain cases or tenses should add additional differences. (Perhaps I could even have a word be dropped in one daughter language and then be readded as a borrow from another?)

I've been focussing on the first of the three languages which is a greeklang. I think I might have gone a bit overboard with my attempt to mimic ancient greek... λυω ελυον ελυσαν λελυκω ελελυκαν λυσω are the present, imperfect, aorist, perfect, plusperfect and future forms of the verb 'wash'. Apart from a couple of cheats like that, most roots are a priori though, and I hope with enough weird sound changes I can get some interesting result (e.g. the imperfect of γοω is εωον because a protophoneme /w/ sometimes goes /w/ > /g/ but after /e/ goes /e/+/w/ > /eu/ > /e/.)
:nld: native | :eng: fluent | :deu: :fra: :esp: reading | :lat: :grc: translating
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I've been working on digitizing the Caber logograms. I've gotten around half of them done so far.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

gestaltist wrote: I also store everything in Markdown but I simply use Dropbox - Git feels overkill/too much work. Plus DB is easily accessible from any platform.
I used to use Dropbox for everything, but I just don't really trust it not to silently delete/corrupt my data. And it doesn't have a really good recovery mechanism for "accidentally selecting a huge block of text and deleting it without noticing before saving and closing the file, losing it forever".

I'd agree that git is probably overkill, but I'm also weird and am on the command line for doing other things (like Makefiles) anyway. :shrug:

Or maybe I just have been following Gary Bernhardt too long.

As for multi-platform: I pretty much only work on my stuff from my (Mac) laptop. I just can't get into using an iPad for serious creation. Beyond that, I only use Macs, so I don't feel that pain. If I want to access the information from my phone, then I just head to the website where I always automatically deploy everything :)
That's a good thing to consider. I also had contemplated "center". It just is missing the preposition "of" in there, and I'm not sure if I want to do noun apposition to accomplish that in Situnyan. Then again, place names are funny things :/
Cosmology, yay! Please make a post about it.
I'm torn when writing/posting about it, though. Some aspects of the cosmology are not initially known to my novel's characters, and I feel like some of them could make for great reveals in a story at some point. So it's a quandary for me what to say when/where.
There are no planets and no stars, for example.
That's...interesting. How does that work?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I made a naming language but can't help but turn it into an actual language even though it is needless work.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Changes for today:

Added some vowel assimilation to Yélian (resulting in shorter words, which is nice).

Example:
espai [ˈespaɪ̯] - I fly
Past tense: yi-espai; realized as old: yiespai [ɕiˈespaɪ̯], new: yèspai [ˈʃɛspaɪ̯] (I flew)
Future tense: ro-espai; realized as old: roespai [rɔˈespaɪ̯], new: ræspai [ˈrœspaɪ̯] (I will fly)

Changed phonetics of Bath'aso, because the original attempt was mistaken. One allophony rule said that dark vowels are unrounded after stops. So /pu/ became [pɯ], which was regular. However, /pɔ/ became [pɤ], what did not make any sense. Now it has changed to [pʌ]. That is better. [:)]

And I also removed the progressive aspect from Paatherye (it was ugly). Now I need some new cool stuff to fill up with. This will catch me a while.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Ahzoh wrote:I made a naming language but can't help but turn it into an actual language even though it is needless work.
I usually do the same with naming langauges, but I generally don't make conlangs whose original purpose was to be a naming language in the first place.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Axiem wrote:
gestaltist wrote: Otherwise, I'm currently starting to think of the name of my conworld as "Mto", at least in the lingua franca, Situnyan. This is curious to me, as the primary Situnyan city (and largest/busiest city in the world) is "Kyamto", and I find myself wondering if the two are related, or I just really like the "mt" sound.
That's a good thing to consider. I also had contemplated "center". It just is missing the preposition "of" in there,[/quote]

does it need the "of"? maybe its literally "World Center", and any 's or of is implied or understood?

------------------------

Worked with nephew a little today to add to his conlang...mostly word order
("if I say man attack men, ban beekaanan* ben, is Iron Man attacking the lego men, or are the men attacking him?" the men are under attack, it turns out)

* = changed to beekaanen today.

and question words got added, as well as warrior (ri.yu), army (ri.yus), spaceship, warship, and a few others.
Keenir wrote:Today, I worked with my nephew to document a language he made up.

Some of it was just a change of one letter (cushion=tushion, for example, and napkin=shapkin)

...but at least half of those, changed the word's vowel, usually from a short vowel to a long vowel (and=faand, in the sense of "i and my friend")

But the most original parts, to my eye, at least, were these:
attack = beekaanan
retreat = reekanan

(at one point, he looked at me, and said "'how are you?' is one word"...and I told him, "that's perfectly okay, and lots of languages do that"....and the word he coined is showsharshu; based on where else in the wordlist the -shu- and -shuu- appears, I suspect it may be feminine)

At the end, I asked him whether, when things are said, nouns come first, or if verbs do (he learned them in school)..."is it Retreats Tony or is it Tony Retreats?" Under most circumstances, its noun-first ('tony retreats')....but, as he then added, "Sometimes its verb-noun", giving the example of "Attack Tony."

Tomorrow, if he remembers any of it, I'll ask him about word order (how to tell who's doing what to who, using the words he's already given me)

It was fun!
Last edited by Keenir on 29 Sep 2016 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Axiem wrote:
gestaltist wrote: There are no planets and no stars, for example.
That's...interesting. How does that work?
The Universe (Suuso) consists of infinite space filled with the Void (Abyss) - a primordial, non-sentient force of creation and destruction. In the middle of it is the Firmament: a giant ball of light and heat. It exerts a repelling pressure on the Void. It also affects living things and is then known as gravity.

The world as we know it extends in the relatively thin area between the Firmament and the Void. The Firmament is so huge that from the human perspective the Firmament and the Void are flat confines of their world, placed overhead and below, respectively. But in reality, the world extends above the Void like on the inside of a sphere.

In some places, gravitational anomalies, known as the Maelstroms, happen. They are huge vortices of the Void extending vertically toward the Firmament. Most of them are unstable and either quickly dissipate or change their sizes and speeds. A select few however become stable, keeping their vertical axis, and transporting Things of the Void, and the water which fell in the rains, back upwards. These anomalies also interact with Light Crystals inside of islands, causing them to orbit around them.

The human civilization appeared around a few of these systems which happen to be pretty close together. It is assumed that there are many more such systems out of reach of the human civilization.
Axiem
sinic
sinic

Post by Axiem »

Keenir wrote: does it need the "of"? maybe its literally "World Center", and any 's or of is implied or understood?
Possibly. It's just that it would more literally gloss to "Center-World", and it's hard for me to wrap my mind around that being interpreted backwards from how I want to interpret apposition like that. (And then contemplating how that would play out in the rest of the language). Though I'm sure there are languages that do it.

..."apposition" is the right word, right? For two nouns next to each other, where one acts as an effective adjective on the either, but staying in noun form?

As for me, last night I discovered that ruby was all sorts of screwed up on my computer. So I spent time poking at that, and my next step is to go make sure bundler actually does the right thing from now on.