Yay or Nay? [2011–2018]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: Yay or Nay?

Post by shimobaatar »

Ælfwine wrote: 04 Apr 2018 02:18 Hey guys. So I am changing the name of my Romlang, Pelsodian, to Castellian, based around the fact that many nearby Dalmatian languages also take their name from the city they are from. such as Ragusean from Ragusa. (In my example, it is from the modern Hungarian city of Keszthely, which would be from <CASTELLUM.) My only worry is that it becomes too close to the name "Castilian." This is formed from the same suffix -ianu in Vulgar Latin, so I thought about using another suffix, like -icu (Castellic) or -esis (Castellese), or perhaps another suffix if you guys know any. What do you think is the best choice?
Pelsodian.

Between Castellic and Castellese, I prefer Castellic.
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Planning to cover relative clauses in levian9. I'm set on the Rel/N order (same as Adj/N), but unsure of which strategy I should use or what should be relativisable. Thinking of using non-reduction, though, if I can't find something more unorthodox (aside from ditching relative clauses completely as I did in Lek-Tsaro).

Any opinions?
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

My main conlang needs a sound change
I’m thinking of changing the massive kitchen-sink phonology into something simple
I could’nt post the first phonology because it would take too long.
I’ve decided to simplify it into this
Consonants
/m n ɲ ŋ/ m n ñ ŋ
/p pʰ b t tʰ d c cʰ ɟ k kʰ g ʔ/ p ph b t th d ķ ķh ģ k kh g ɂ
/ts tsʰ dz tʃ tʃʰ dʒ/ c ch ʒ č čh ǯ
/cç cçʰ ɟʝ/ ċ ċh ǧ
/s z ʃ ʒ ɕ ʑ/ s z š ž ś ź
/ɸ β f v θ ð ç ʝ x ɣ ħ ʕ h/ ᵽ ƀ f v ṯ ḏ ĥ ĵ ḵ ḡ ḥ x h
/l ɬ r ɽ j w ɰ/ l ɫ r ɽ ȷ w ẅ
/i y ɯ u ɪ ʊ e ø ɤ o ə ɛ ʌ̈~ɜ ɔ æ ɐ a ɒ/ + /aː ã aˀ/ i ü ư u ĭ ŭ e ö ë o ĕ ê ŏ ä ă a ô ā aƞ ả
What are your opinions?
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

I would simplify the vowels into something like this:
/i y ɯ u e ø ɤ~ə o ɛ ɔ a/ + /aː ã aˀ/ and combinations of these
<i ü ũ u e ö õ o é ó a> <aa ą a’> + <aa’ ą’ ąą ąą’>
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I don't understand the question.
Fluffy8x wrote: 05 Apr 2018 23:40 Planning to cover relative clauses in levian9. I'm set on the Rel/N order (same as Adj/N), but unsure of which strategy I should use or what should be relativisable. Thinking of using non-reduction, though, if I can't find something more unorthodox (aside from ditching relative clauses completely as I did in Lek-Tsaro).

Any opinions?
What are the "strategies" you are considering?
Non-reduction? What's that?
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

opipik wrote: 06 Apr 2018 12:51 I would simplify the vowels into something like this:
/i y ɯ u e ø ɤ~ə o ɛ ɔ a/ + /aː ã aˀ/ and combinations of these
<i ü ũ u e ö õ o é ó a> <aa ą a’> + <aa’ ą’ ąą ąą’>
Ok.
I’ll make it like the following
/i y ɯ~ɨ u e ø ə~ɤ o ɛ ʌ~ɜ ɔ æ a/ and the same vowel mods
Ii Üü Ûû Uu Éé Öö Ôô Oo Èè Êê Òò Ee Aa
And
Āā Ãã AɁaɂ Ā̃ā̃ ÃɁãɂ ĀɁāɂ Ā̃Ɂā̃ɂ
What about the consonants?
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

OK, I simplified the consonants a bit.

/m n ɲ ŋ/ m n ñ ŋ
/p pʰ b t tʰ d ts tsʰ dz tʂ tʂʰ dʐ tɕ tɕʰ dʑ c cʰ ɟ k kʰ g ʔ/ p ph b t th d c ch ʒ č čh ǯ ć ćh ʒ́ ķ ķh ģ k kh g ɂ
/r ɽ/ r ɽ
/ɸ β θ ð ɬ s z ʂ ʐ ɕ ʑ x ɣ ħ ʕ h/ f v ṯ ḏ ɫ s z š ž ś ź ḵ ḡ ḥ x h
/w l ʎ j ɰ/ w l ľ j ẅ
maybe some implosives (for example /ɓ ɗ ʄ/ ƀ đ ɉ)?
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

opipik wrote: 06 Apr 2018 21:36 OK, I simplified the consonants a bit.

/m n ɲ ŋ/ m n ñ ŋ
/p pʰ b t tʰ d ts tsʰ dz tʂ tʂʰ dʐ tɕ tɕʰ dʑ c cʰ ɟ k kʰ g ʔ/ p ph b t th d c ch ʒ č čh ǯ ć ćh ʒ́ ķ ķh ģ k kh g ɂ
/r ɽ/ r ɽ
/w l ʎ j ɰ/ w l ľ j ẅ
maybe some implosives (for example /ɓ ɗ ʄ/ ƀ đ ɉ)?
OK. Thanks. I will definitely add implosives.
Now
/i y ɯ~ɨ u e ø ə~ɤ o ɛ ʌ~ɜ ɔ æ a/ and the same vowel mods
Ii Üü Ûû Uu Éé Öö Ôô Oo Èè Êê Òò Ee Aa
And
Āā Ãã AɁaɂ Ā̃ā̃ ÃɁãɂ ĀɁāɂ Ā̃Ɂā̃ɂ
/m n ɲ ŋ/ m n ñ ŋ
/r ɽ/ r ɽ
/w l ʎ j ɰ/ w l ľ j ẅ
/ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ/ ƀ đ ɉ ǥ
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 Apr 2018 02:26
Ælfwine wrote: 04 Apr 2018 02:18 Hey guys. So I am changing the name of my Romlang, Pelsodian, to Castellian, based around the fact that many nearby Dalmatian languages also take their name from the city they are from. such as Ragusean from Ragusa. (In my example, it is from the modern Hungarian city of Keszthely, which would be from <CASTELLUM.) My only worry is that it becomes too close to the name "Castilian." This is formed from the same suffix -ianu in Vulgar Latin, so I thought about using another suffix, like -icu (Castellic) or -esis (Castellese), or perhaps another suffix if you guys know any. What do you think is the best choice?
Pelsodian.

Between Castellic and Castellese, I prefer Castellic.
I might end up going down that route, anyway. I was looking into the etymology of Keszthely, and one reconstructed form seems to be Kostelьcь from PS. While the Latin -icu suffix was no longer productive, Slavic -jec was, so I think it's native name might have been /cæstėljėk/ around the 6th century.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

In light of recent events, I found myself going to the Géarthnuns dictionary to see if there was a word for what I, as an American goy, would have called a yarmulke. Surprisingly, there is naught. The word bandied about on the news is kippah (כִּיפָּה), which, frankly, I had never heard before. So I'm wondering how to bring this word in.

1) kípalats or íarmulkelats would be the usual way to deal with foreign words, and while their neutrality wouldn't necessarily piss anybody off, they feel a little distant and cold. We're not talking about kimchee, for goodness sake.

2) The plural, kippot, as kípots, כִּיפּוֹת would make a nice loan word. Albeit plural, it could get loaned in as a singular (cf. English spaghetti -- which is uncountable, at least in my idiolect, but let's not go there, girlfriend).

3) íarmulks would also be a decent, if uncommon, loan.

4) Allow both kípots and íarmulks and let the Géarthtörs Jewish community duke it out amongst themselves as to what's appropriate.

5) The Yiddish, קאפל‎ koppel, as kaupels, would also work, but how did it get to the Sea of Japan? (reality is not a priority, but sheesh!)

6) Coin or calque ("dome") something else.

Opines?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

It looks like you prefer option 4) [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Creyeditor wrote: 21 Apr 2018 14:16 It looks like you prefer option 4) [:D]
What makes you say that?

In any case, though, I actually do prefer option 4 myself.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

shimobaatar wrote: 21 Apr 2018 18:09
What makes you say that?
I haven't really noticed shimo prone to sarcasm, and if the above comment isn't that, I suspect what Creyeditor means is that I stacked the deck/loaded the dice to get the result I wanted in the first place. Perhaps, perhaps not. I was more concerned about stepping into a terminological minefield.
In any case, though, I actually do prefer option 4 myself.
Without some complicated, convoluted backstory, this is probably a good way to go: fob the responsibility off on to the fictional people. [xP]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Lao Kou wrote: 23 Apr 2018 13:41
What makes you say that?
I haven't really noticed shimo prone to sarcasm, and if the above comment isn't that, I suspect what Creyeditor means is that I stacked the deck/loaded the dice to get the result I wanted in the first place. Perhaps, perhaps not. I was more concerned about stepping into a terminological minefield.
No, that wasn't sarcasm. Creyeditor made it seem like you had made your preference obvious somehow, but I didn't see any indication of that at all, so I was asking for clarification.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Using a derivative of “yarmulke” has the same problem as option (5) in that “yarmulke” is a Yiddish term derived from Slavic sources. Unless you have a large Ashkenazi population, I wouldn’t expect it to be part of the lexicon. Therefor, I’d suggest options (1) or (2).
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

shimobaatar wrote: 23 Apr 2018 16:37
What makes you say that?
No, that wasn't sarcasm. Creyeditor made it seem like you had made your preference obvious somehow, but I didn't see any indication of that at all, so I was asking for clarification.
Option 4) was the only option that was not listed with a disadvantage. Option 1) distant and cold, option 2) "let's not go there" 3) uncommon 4) duke it out 5) how did it get to the Sea of Japan 6) something else
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Creyeditor wrote: 23 Apr 2018 23:01
shimobaatar wrote: 23 Apr 2018 16:37
What makes you say that?
Option 4) was the only option that was not listed with a disadvantage. Option 1) distant and cold, option 2) "let's not go there" 3) uncommon 4) duke it out 5) how did it get to the Sea of Japan 6) something else
Well, it seems like we interpret some things differently. Anyway, this isn't really relevant.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Lao Kou wrote: 21 Apr 2018 05:35 In light of recent events, I found myself going to the Géarthnuns dictionary to see if there was a word for what I, as an American goy, would have called a yarmulke. Surprisingly, there is naught. The word bandied about on the news is kippah (כִּיפָּה), which, frankly, I had never heard before.
Interesting difference there; I only knew the word kippah before I arrived on the internet, because kippah is the word used when Judaism is talked about in Religious Education classes in the UK and outside of certain urban areas Jewish culture doesn't really have anything like the presence it has in the popular consciousness of the US. (similarly I had never heard of the word "goy" until I came on the internet; for most of my childhood I only knew the word "gentile").
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I have a couple ideas for my Romlang Túrnnan that is like to get some opinions on.

1) initially, I didn’t design Túrnnan with a subjunctive because the present subjunctive and present indicative of Latin became identical in Túrnnan. It didn’t take long for me to wish there was some subjunctive so I tried deriving it from the imperfect subjunctive but again the results were blurry. I’m the singular, the forms largely look like the infinitive and in the plural the forms were identical to the future tense.

That gave me this idea: the future tense shifts to the subjunctive and the is replaced by the periphrastic construction of “go + infinitive”. Does this seem reasonable?

2) The speakers of Túrnnan live in Austria and are largely bilingual. Given this, I’d like to incorporate some german syntax, particularly placing the main verb finally in periphrastic constructions and also in subordinate clauses. Thoughts? Am I pushing the realism here?
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Wondering how I should do the joint agent/patient/tense conjugation on verb roots in levian10. For reference, levian10 is a triconsonantal root language in which the consonants of a root can be reördered for inflectional purposes. 75 (5 each for agent/patient [0, 1, 2, 3 prox, 3 obv; number marked elsewhere] × 3 for tense) different forms is quite tedious to do by hand, so perhaps I could delegate the work to a mathematical function. Roots also have a gender in (Z ∩ [-13, 13])3, and right now I don't really have plans for that other than for adjectives and adverbs, but I could factor that into verb conjugation.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.