Post by holbuzvala »

No passives in my lang, alas. But using some noun incorporation i could do:

"1p.s.patient 3p.human.agent-X-CALL"
"Me they-X-call."
My name is X.
Dormouse559

Re: Yay or Nay?

Post by Dormouse559 »

holbuzvala wrote:Which should I use? Or any further suggestions? (P.S. Not a fan of "I call myself X" as I think one shpold relish that one's name is chosen by others and thus delightfully out of our control)
A lot of Romance languages use a reflexive construction (Might that be what you're thinking of with "I call myself X"?), but the usage of reflexives throughout these languages often corresponds closely to a passive or middle voice. So except in certain contexts, it would be unuseful to think of "Je m'appelle …", "Me llamo …", etc. as meaning "I call myself …" rather than simply grouping them with "I am called …" or "They call me …"
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Dormouse559 wrote:
holbuzvala wrote:Which should I use? Or any further suggestions? (P.S. Not a fan of "I call myself X" as I think one shpold relish that one's name is chosen by others and thus delightfully out of our control)
A lot of Romance languages use a reflexive construction (Might that be what you're thinking of with "I call myself X"?), but the usage of reflexives throughout these languages often corresponds closely to a passive or middle voice. So except in certain contexts, it would be unuseful to think of "Je m'appelle …", "Me llamo …", etc. as meaning "I call myself …" rather than simply grouping them with "I am called …" or "They call me …"
You know, now that I think of it, I never really thought of Spanish as using a reflexive conjugation. I always interpreted it as an extension of an impersonal se...
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

qwed117 wrote:You know, now that I think of it, I never really thought of Spanish as using a reflexive conjugation. I always interpreted it as an extension of an impersonal se...
… Which is a reflexive by origin. So yeah, two sides of the same coin.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

Thanks all - very helpful.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

holbuzvala wrote:I'm trying to think up how to translate 'my name is X.' Obviously, there are several versions available, and these are the ones I've thus far thought up:

1. My name is X
2. They call me X
3. I am X
4. I hold the name X
5. They gave me the name X
6. On/in me is the name X

Which should I use? Or any further suggestions? (P.S. Not a fan of "I call myself X" as I think one shpold relish that one's name is chosen by others and thus delightfully out of our control)
Swedish has heta and German has heißen. They are translated 'be called' but they are not passives.
Jag heter X.
Ich heiße X.

Finnish has olla nimeltään lit. "Be from one's name"
Olen nimeltäni X.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Omzinesý wrote:
holbuzvala wrote:I'm trying to think up how to translate 'my name is X.' Obviously, there are several versions available, and these are the ones I've thus far thought up:

1. My name is X
2. They call me X
3. I am X
4. I hold the name X
5. They gave me the name X
6. On/in me is the name X

Which should I use? Or any further suggestions? (P.S. Not a fan of "I call myself X" as I think one shpold relish that one's name is chosen by others and thus delightfully out of our control)
Swedish has heta and German has heißen. They are translated 'be called' but they are not passives.
Jag heter X.
Ich heiße X.

Finnish has olla nimeltään lit. "Be from one's name"
Olen nimeltäni X.
Polish has "mam na imię X", literally "for (my) name, I have X".
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

^Latin has something similar with the dative "mihi":

The name to/for me is X
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Yay or nay?

Vrkhazhian's Abjad and Onschen's Syllabary should share a common, logographic ancestor, though both civilization are separated by a couple thousand kilometers.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Ahzoh wrote:Yay or nay?

Vrkhazhian's Abjad and Onschen's Syllabary should share a common, logographic ancestor, though both civilization are separated by a couple thousand kilometers.
Yea. That definitely sounds like a possibility, especially since I don't think a few thousand kilometers is a very huge gap to bridge.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Eh, it's a bit more than a few thousand I've realized. Yonstsagonians live in an icy peninsula about 60-70 degrees latitude while Vrkhazhians are around 20-30. But they contact by sailing along the coastline!
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

That still sounds OK, at least to me.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I'm making a Graecolang. I know it's gonna be something of the Arcadian-Cypriot-Pamphyllian trio, but which one should I choose? I got SCA2 block. If it's Pamphyllian, it's gonna be heavily influenced by the Turks. Cypriot is going to be influenced by a potpourri of Arabic, Turkish, and Italian. And Arcadian will be barely influenced by Koine, with the rest of the changes coming a priori.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Tough choice… I'd probably go with Cypriot myself.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

I've recently gotten into Chữ Nôm and I think it might be one of my favorite writing systems aesthetically. I was wondering what you guys thought about the idea of me making a language, probably Austroasiatic, Malayo-Polynesian, or Tai-Kadai, written in Chữ Nôm? Does it seem kinda pointless?
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

All4Ɇn wrote:I've recently gotten into Chữ Nôm and I think it might be one of my favorite writing systems aesthetically. I was wondering what you guys thought about the idea of me making a language, probably Austroasiatic, Malayo-Polynesian, or Tai-Kadai, written in Chữ Nôm? Does it seem kinda pointless?
If it suits your fancy. Go at it for sure.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

loglorn wrote:
All4Ɇn wrote:I've recently gotten into Chữ Nôm and I think it might be one of my favorite writing systems aesthetically. I was wondering what you guys thought about the idea of me making a language, probably Austroasiatic, Malayo-Polynesian, or Tai-Kadai, written in Chữ Nôm? Does it seem kinda pointless?
Yeah, I'd say definitely go for it! Knowing the languages you've made so far, All4Ɇn, I'm confident it will turn out great!
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

shimobaatar wrote:
loglorn wrote:
Yeah, I'd say definitely go for it! Knowing the languages you've made so far, All4Ɇn, I'm confident it will turn out great!
It'd certainly be pretty unique as conlangs go. In fact, I think we've yet to see a conlang use it at all. Go for it!
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

Shonkasika (in its current iteration, heh) has two sets of personal endings for verbs. One for the non-past tenses and another for past tenses.

Non-past

Code: Select all

sg. pl.
1 -t -nde
2 -m -meth
3 -s -ks
Past

sg. pl.
1 -ti -ndi
2 -mi -methi
3 -si -ksi
Right now, the past marking -i isn't based on anything at all. I was thinking of changing that to -or based on the medial determiner forms that contain the stem *-or(e) (Cf. norelto "then", noruga "there"). That would yield:

Past

sg. pl.
1 -tor -ndor
2 -mor -methor
3 -sor -ksor
I could also base them on the distal determiner forms that contain *-uj(e) /ud͡ʒe/ and use -u

Past

sg. pl.
1 -tu -ndu
2 -mu -methu
3 -su -ksu

Yay or nay?
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Frislander wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
loglorn wrote:
It'd certainly be pretty unique as conlangs go. In fact, I think we've yet to see a conlang use it at all. Go for it!
Devil's dissent: You might as well go a prior. All three are extremely poorly reconstructed (especially if you choose to make your language straight from the reconstruction, and not from a famous branch.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad