Yay or Nay? [2011–2018]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: Yay or Nay?

Post by eldin raigmore »

Fluffy8x wrote: 26 Apr 2018 21:27 Wondering how I should do the joint agent/patient/tense conjugation on verb roots in levian10.
Swahili and other Bantu languages prefix the verb with a complex morpheme made up of the follwing sequence:
The agent’s (subject’s) noun-class (fusionally marking both its gender and its grammatical number);
The verb’s tense (maybe in some languages also one or more of its aspect, modality/mode/mood, voice, and/or polarity?);
The patient’s (object’s) noun-class (gender&number).
For reference, levian10 is a triconsonantal root language in which the consonants of a root can be reördered for inflectional purposes.
Really? I thought of that, but was told I could never make it work! I tried and ran into difficulty and decided my lang’s critics were right and gave up!
If you can do it I will be filled with about equal parts curiosity, admiration, and envy!
Show me, please?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Fluffy8x wrote: 26 Apr 2018 21:27 Roots also have a gender in (Z ∩ [-13, 13])3, ...
I know what that means!
And I know it also means you’re either a math major or you at least passed Calculus I!
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Apr 2018 22:23
Fluffy8x wrote: 26 Apr 2018 21:27 Wondering how I should do the joint agent/patient/tense conjugation on verb roots in levian10.
Swahili and other Bantu languages prefix the verb with a complex morpheme made up of the follwing sequence:
The agent’s (subject’s) noun-class (fusionally marking both its gender and its grammatical number);
The verb’s tense (maybe in some languages also one or more of its aspect, modality/mode/mood, voice, and/or polarity?);
The patient’s (object’s) noun-class (gender&number).
Yeah, I could go with that, but I want to fuse cats in odd combinations.
For reference, levian10 is a triconsonantal root language in which the consonants of a root can be reördered for inflectional purposes.
Really? I thought of that, but was told I could never make it work! I tried and ran into difficulty and decided my lang’s critics were right and gave up!
If you can do it I will be filled with about equal parts curiosity, admiration, and envy!
Show me, please?
All roots in levian10 follow an ordering in which the root abc (translated into a triplet of integers mod 729) satisfies f(a) ≼ f(b) ≼ f(c). f: Z729Z729 is bijective and ≼ is kind of a cyclic less-than-or-equals: pq iff (qp) ≤ 364.

In some degenerate cases, two or more of the consonants could equal each other. This happens only in derived roots, but levian10 has its strategy for resolving this issue.
eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Apr 2018 22:26
Fluffy8x wrote: 26 Apr 2018 21:27 Roots also have a gender in (Z ∩ [-13, 13])3, ...
I know what that means!
And I know it also means you’re either a math major or you at least passed Calculus I!
CS major, but maths minor.

Edit: so far, I've been calling this language by its koznumber, but I've named it ŊþaċaḤa /,ŋθatɬa,xa/.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

spanick wrote: 26 Apr 2018 19:18 I have a couple ideas for my Romlang Túrnnan that is like to get some opinions on.

1) initially, I didn’t design Túrnnan with a subjunctive because the present subjunctive and present indicative of Latin became identical in Túrnnan. It didn’t take long for me to wish there was some subjunctive so I tried deriving it from the imperfect subjunctive but again the results were blurry. I’m the singular, the forms largely look like the infinitive and in the plural the forms were identical to the future tense.

That gave me this idea: the future tense shifts to the subjunctive and the is replaced by the periphrastic construction of “go + infinitive”. Does this seem reasonable?

2) The speakers of Túrnnan live in Austria and are largely bilingual. Given this, I’d like to incorporate some german syntax, particularly placing the main verb finally in periphrastic constructions and also in subordinate clauses. Thoughts? Am I pushing the realism here?
I can't give you much advice about realism/naturalism, I'm afraid, but I do know that future and irrealis moods are and have been conflated in some languages, so I think your idea #1 is interesting.

As for idea #2, it does happen that languages in certain areas can share certain features despite not being derived from the same parent language. I believe that situation can be called a Sprachbund.
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

felipesnark wrote: 27 Apr 2018 01:29 I can't give you much advice about realism/naturalism, I'm afraid, but I do know that future and irrealis moods are and have been conflated in some languages, so I think your idea #1 is interesting.
Yeah. Intuitively, I thought that the future was connected to the irrealis but when looking at other Indo-European languages, it seems it’s more strongly connected with the past tense. A little digging turned up that the pluperfect indicative became the conditional in Sicilian and the imperfect subjunctive in Spanish, so I could always use that for the present subjunctive.
As for idea #2, it does happen that languages in certain areas can share certain features despite not being derived from the same parent language. I believe that situation can be called a Sprachbund.
After a little digging, it seems there is some precedent in Romance languages for V2 syntax such as Old French and Romansch, so I’ll probably make this change.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Should I add a set of nasal vowels to Castellan?

Pro:
>Romance languages seem to love them. Portuguese, French, Spanish allophonically and many Italian dialects have them.
>Common Slavic had them.
>I like the way they sound

Con:
>Not an areal feature
>Romanian, my closest neighbor, never developed them, despite strong Slavic influence

Aquincum > Aquęc /ə'ke~k/
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Ælfwine wrote: 05 May 2018 06:43 Should I add a set of nasal vowels to Castellan?

Pro:
>Romance languages seem to love them. Portuguese, French, Spanish allophonically and many Italian dialects have them.
>Common Slavic had them.
>I like the way they sound

Con:
>Not an areal feature
>Romanian, my closest neighbor, never developed them, despite strong Slavic influence

Aquincum > Aquęc /ə'ke~k/
It looks like the cons are outnumbered by the pros, the most important of which is that you like the way they sound. So I'd say go for it. Mind you, I subscribe to the "if it feels good, do it" school of conlanging, as opposed to the "there's a panel of persimmon-sucking linguistics professors judging your every move" school. And if this genuinely concerns you, surely there is a way to explain the nasalization in (or if not, a little wave of hand or throwing a 'Hail Mary' (American football term)).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

I mean I don't really know what the worry is with the areal thing, Polish and the Sorbian languages have nasal vowels despite being surrounded by languages that lack them entirely, I see no reason your language can' be the same.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Both of you raise good points. I guess I'll try them and see how the end product sounds.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

So I've got an idea for an auxlang. I've noticed most auxlangs tend to go for the smallest possible phonetic inventory so that anyone can pronounce all of its words. However, I think this is not an appropriate way to go about it, as instead of having absolute sounds, one can have prototypical(? - this might not be the right word) sounds. For instance, you can say the phonology contains a /p/ and /b/ contrast; but depending on the speaker's original tongue this may manifest as a [ph]-[p] contrast, or a ejective-voiceless contrast etc. My groupings (allowed allophonic variation, in parentheses) and contrasts (dash-linked) thus far are as follows:

p-b
k-g
t-d

(w/v)
(j)
(s/ʃ/h/ç)

Now, based on this paradigm, do we think 1, it's worth including an '(l/r)' grouping?
and 2, should there be a voiced contrast between the sibilants to create a minimal pair of /s/ with /z/ (and their likenesses)?

i.e. Yay or nay to include an (l/r) group, and yay or nay to add a voicing distinction to create s-z contrast?
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

holbuzvala wrote: 09 May 2018 19:51 i.e. Yay or nay to include an (l/r) group, and yay or nay to add a voicing distinction to create s-z contrast?
Pretty late for a reply, but I'll go with "yay" for both.

My question. I am working on a new a priori artlang/personal conlang that is not an IE-lang, but inspired by many IE languages.
I'm working on the noun/adjective declensions and I feel unsure about the accusative and genitive plurals. I've come up with three possible paradigms. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
Spoiler:
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

felipesnark wrote: 05 Jul 2018 18:15 My question. I am working on a new a priori artlang/personal conlang that is not an IE-lang, but inspired by many IE languages.
I'm working on the noun/adjective declensions and I feel unsure about the accusative and genitive plurals. I've come up with three possible paradigms. What are your thoughts or suggestions?
Spoiler:
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Interesting. I've faced a similar dilemma myself.

I think I would go with version 1 or 2, although I'd say I prefer version 1 personally.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

shimobaatar wrote: 05 Jul 2018 23:02
felipesnark wrote: 05 Jul 2018 18:15 My question. I am working on a new a priori artlang/personal conlang that is not an IE-lang, but inspired by many IE languages.
Spoiler:
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3

I think I would go with version 1 or 2, although I'd say I prefer version 1 personally.
Thanks for your input. I think I may also prefer 1, or perhaps 3. I'm more hesitant because it seems to be a bit too neat, tidy, and regular.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

felipesnark wrote: 05 Jul 2018 23:51
Spoiler:
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3

Thanks for your input. I think I may also prefer 1, or perhaps 3. I'm more hesitant because it seems to be a bit too neat, tidy, and regular.
Hmm, that's a valid concern. My "issue" with version 3 was that it makes it look, at least to me, like the genitive plural endings were derived from the accusative plural endings via the addition of -su/-sa/-se.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

shimobaatar wrote: 06 Jul 2018 00:24
Spoiler:
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3

Hmm, that's a valid concern. My "issue" with version 3 was that it makes it look, at least to me, like the genitive plural endings were derived from the accusative plural endings via the addition of -su/-sa/-se.
Good point. I actually like version 1 fine, just thinking of ways to make the paradigm seem a bit less regular. Here's an idea: version 1, but the genitive plural changed to -udes(-odes?)/-ades/-ides for the masculine/feminine/neuter respectively.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

felipesnark wrote: 06 Jul 2018 02:21
shimobaatar wrote: 06 Jul 2018 00:24
Spoiler:
Version 1
Version 2
Version 3

Good point. I actually like version 1 fine, just thinking of ways to make the paradigm seem a bit less regular. Here's an idea: version 1, but the genitive plural changed to -udes(-odes?)/-ades/-ides for the masculine/feminine/neuter respectively.
I like that!
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

Another question for my new project, now dubbed Denkurian.

The past tense for regular verbs forms by a type of vowel ablaut of the final vowel of the stem:
bodat I love / bodot I loved
munit I drink / munyot I drank
etc...

I am thinking of adding some sort of stem prefix for the past tense forms, like perhaps a(h)-
ex: bodat, abodot

Or perhaps partial reduplication?
bodat, bobodot

So which one for the past tenses?
Option 1: no prefix/reduplication
bodat, bodot

Option 2: one prefix for all verbs
bodat, abodot

Option 3: partial reduplication
bodat, bobodot

Option 4: some combination of the above with 2 or 3 verb classes?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

I think I like Option 2 the best.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Using multiple strategies can be fun. I'd go for Option 4.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Didn't see Option 4 before. I'd go with that.