Yay or Nay? [2011–2018]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: Yay or Nay?

Post by Creyeditor »

Why not have an alien language where only the tones matter and the segments are predictable? Apart from the fixed Hertz (which is really alien) that would make it even more alien.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Lek-Tsaro had a system wherein there were words not for static colours, but rather colour transitions (i. e. green → blue is a separate root from green or blue). I was wondering if I should carry it to Middle Rymakonian, or replace it with something else.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Fixed stress in Cissian, yay or nay?

Either on the first syllable or the penultimate syllable. I like the current unpredictable stress but it's a lot of work to work out the individual stress pattern for every new word I create.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

ixals wrote: 24 Jan 2018 01:41 Fixed stress in Cissian, yay or nay?

Either on the first syllable or the penultimate syllable. I like the current unpredictable stress but it's a lot of work to work out the individual stress pattern for every new word I create.
I vote, keep what you have.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

For fixed primary stress, IIRC, penultimate is first choice, initial is second choice, and ISTR final is third choice.

Why is what you have now choresome for you?
Spoiler:
Do you now have weight-sensitive primary stress, or what?
Do you have rhythm? If so is it weight-sensitive? If rhythm and primary stress are both weight-sensitive, is "weight" the same for both?
If you have secondary stress but not rhythm, is it "polar" (that is, likely to be close to the opposite end of the word from the primary stress)?
Do you have a different system for verbs from non-verbs?
Or do you have a different system for nouns than for non-nouns?
Or do you have a different system for borrowed words from native words?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

As much as I like making things easy, I'd say keep the stress unpredictable, if only to help further differentiate the language from the West Slavic branch.

Edit: Post #8989, apparently.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

eldin raigmore wrote: 25 Jan 2018 00:49

For fixed primary stress, IIRC, penultimate is first choice, initial is second choice, and ISTR final is third choice.

Why is what you have now choresome for you?
Spoiler:
Do you now have weight-sensitive primary stress, or what?
Do you have rhythm? If so is it weight-sensitive? If rhythm and primary stress are both weight-sensitive, is "weight" the same for both?
If you have secondary stress but not rhythm, is it "polar" (that is, likely to be close to the opposite end of the word from the primary stress)?
Do you have a different system for verbs from non-verbs?
Do the points 4 and 5 actually exist in natlangs?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Iyionaku wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:25Do the points 4 and 5 actually exist in natlangs?
The closest I can think of is PIE accent, but that's so complicated and specific you can't really say that one pattern favours one word class over the other. There might be a language out there which behaves like this, but I would first wonder how that situation came about and secondly I wouldn't expect it to be through-going either.

When it comes to tone on the other hand the situation is quite different, but I won't go into it now.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Frislander wrote: 25 Jan 2018 17:08
Iyionaku wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:25Do the points 4 and 5 actually exist in natlangs?
The closest I can think of is PIE accent, but that's so complicated and specific you can't really say that one pattern favours one word class over the other. There might be a language out there which behaves like this, but I would first wonder how that situation came about and secondly I wouldn't expect it to be through-going either.

When it comes to tone on the other hand the situation is quite different, but I won't go into it now.
One could even say English works that way. A large number of Latinate loans have their part of speech distinguished by stress. And I can conceive a few ways that would develop, at least within derivational relationships. A more across the board example will probably prove tricky, but might be possible of you posit a language with, say, an initially closed class of verbs that was subjected to intense language contact, like Japanese and Korean.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

eldin raigmore wrote: 25 Jan 2018 00:49Why is what you have now choresome for you?
Cissian's stress is unpredictable and currently the same as Russian's stress. So that's about ten different stress patterns in nouns. There wouldn't be much of an issue with it, if I had enough materials. What's the stress pattern for words that didn't survive in Russian (or Ukrainian)? What's the stress pattern for derivations that don't exist in Russian? Of course, I might make a problem out of this by myself and I could easily assign a random and/or likely stress pattern to these words, but I'd like the language to be as accurate as possible.
eldin raigmore wrote: 25 Jan 2018 00:49Do you now have weight-sensitive primary stress, or what?
Haven't worked on that in detail yet. It's also not that important for now I'd say.
eldin raigmore wrote: 25 Jan 2018 00:49Do you have a different system for verbs from non-verbs?
This should give a basic overview I think. Loanwords have fixed stress however. It's only native words that are choresome to me.
shimobaatar wrote: 25 Jan 2018 01:18 As much as I like making things easy, I'd say keep the stress unpredictable, if only to help further differentiate the language from the West Slavic branch.
That's a good point. The stress pattern right now really is what differentiates Cissian from West Slavic the most.

I think I'll keep the unpredictable stress pattern but make it a little bit more regular in some cases.
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Iyionaku wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:25 Do the points 4 and 5 actually exist in natlangs?
All of them do. And there are yet more possible complication that occur in that line.
And there is also the ultimate complexity;
“Each word has its own ‘pattern’; There is no way to generalize between groups of words”.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Iyionaku wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:25 Do the points 4 and 5 actually exist in natlangs?
All of them do. And there are yet more possible complication that occur in that line.
And there is also the ultimate complexity;
“Each word has its own ‘pattern’; There is no way to generalize between groups of words”.

And by the way thank you for answering my questions!
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

For Stoplang, I thought I'd take a page from Babylonian, and only have two numbers (excluding 0s and the base number)

1 - 'uud [ʔu:d]

10 - 'a'u [ʔa.ʔu]

100 - 'a3 [ʔaʒ]

...my question is if I should have a second 1... 'agh [ʔag_h] ?

thoughts?

thank you.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I have no idea what you're asking Keenir.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

gestaltist wrote: 28 Jan 2018 10:37 I have no idea what you're asking Keenir.
if I should have two unrelated words for the number 1, or just stick with one word.
apologies for my inclarity.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Keenir wrote: 28 Jan 2018 12:02
if I should have two unrelated words for the number 1, or just stick with one word.
Ah, thank you. And why do you want to have two? Any reason in particular or "just because"?
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

gestaltist wrote: 29 Jan 2018 10:20
Ah, thank you. And why do you want to have two? Any reason in particular or "just because"?
kinda just because...a niggling feeling in the back of my skull that whispered "no, you can not only have one word for one." It was the part of my brain that says things without researching.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Keenir wrote: 29 Jan 2018 11:13
kinda just because...a niggling feeling in the back of my skull that whispered "no, you can not only have one word for one." It was the part of my brain that says things without researching.
"mono", "uni", "one", "ichi", "hito" ... Don't ignore the niggle. [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Keenir wrote: 29 Jan 2018 11:13
In that case definitely go for it. I believe in listening to intuition.
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

This is an organization/documentation related question.

Shonkasika verbs have two ways of forming their perfect stem, which is the basis of the two conjugation classes. Most verbs belong to one class, but there is a substantial number of verbs that belong to the other.

There are also two ways each to form the future stem and the habitual stem. For each stem, the suffixed way includes the overwhelming majority of verbs, with 20-40 other verbs forming the stem in some other way (ablaut for future and partial reduplication for the habitual). For now, I’ve simply been calling those minority of verbs “irregular” although they could be their own classes since their

Question: should I organize them into classes, bringing the number of verb conjugation classes to 8, or should I leave it as is with 2 classes with a remainder of “strong/irregular” future and habitual forms?
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!