Aqcin language

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Aqcin language

Post by Omzinesý »

I decided to go on with developing my conlang from the old forum. Maybe it never gets ready. So, I stay in the name Aqcin as an English form, but 'aaqcin really means a person with that "nationality", as it's usual in English. I gathered the most important things from the old forum, but something is of course changed.

Aqcin language
Aqcin (’eepcân as they say themselves) was a language spoken on a little moon called ’eehcân (Aqcin area). Nowadays the moon is destroyed by jealous neighbour planets. Aqcin langauge is only spoken by some separated survivors all over the galaxy. So Aqcin is not anymore used in everyday communication. The specialty of the language are large mental terminology and categories. In their good days the Aqcins worked commonly as psychologists. For example a very strong curse word in Aqcin is ‘ruochâq’, meaning Alzheimer’s disease.
The stucture of the laguage is rather similar to Arabian. The real meaning of the words is formed by three radical consonants, and the vowels between them are used for inflection. Because almost all vowel combinations are used in inflection, the language maybe resembles Ithual more.

Aqcin has 27 consonant phonemes.
p [p] t [t] c [c] k [k] q [q] ‘ [ʔ]
f [ϕ] th [θ] s lh [ɬ] ch [ç] kh [x] qh [χ] h [h]
*b [b/β] d*[d/ð] z[z] l [ɮ] j* [ɟ/ʝ] r* [G/ʁ]
m [ɱ] n[n] nj[ɲ] ng [ŋ] nr [N]
*b, d, j and r are pronounced as plosives in the beginning of the word and as fricatives in other positions.

Aqcin has 12 vowels.
i/i/ ü y/ y/ɯ/ u/u/
e/e/ ö/ø/ õ/ɤ/ o/o/
â/a/ ä/ɶ/ a/ɑ/ å/ɒ/
The first syllable is always stressed and vowels are pronounced long. I also write them with two graphemes. In the first syllable there can also appear four diphthongs: üö, ie, yõ and uo.

The normal Aqcin syllabic structure is C1V1C2V2C3. There can be a derivational consonant between V1 and C2. The meaning of the word is expressed in the three radical consonants, and the vowels bear inflection.
There are two parts of speech in the language, but actually they are only inflected forms of one word. The inflection in the V1 is similar among both nouns and verbs.
E.g. nââbik ‘a star ship’
nååbåk ‘He travels with a star ship.’
naabik ‘a star ship traveller’

The second feature that affects all words is concreteness in the V1. Because the Aqcin culture is so deep in psychological thinking, there are special paradigms for mental and concrete words. For example a human can be either jaarim or jõõrim, depending on if he is comprehended as a physical being or a psychological being.
In the verbs: jyõfåh ‘He is thinking.’ (mental)
ryõzåt ‘He is working.’ for example on a computer
ryyzåt ‘He is working.’ for example with a shovel

The third category is voice/transitivity. There are two voices in Aqcin, active/transitive, and medio-passive/intransitive. Only transitive can get an object. (Aqcin doesn’t separate direct and indirect object.) Active expresses action that is caused by the subject; medio-passive action that is not.
Act. pyytäk ‘He fell (something).’
Med. paatäk ‘He fell.’
The transitive forms of clearly in transitive verbs are interpreted causatives. E.g. puolâp ‘s/he makes him/her sing’
poolâp ‘s/he sings’
There are three noun classes in Apcin, rational, irrational and abstract. They are expressed in the first vowel, as well. Rational the words are beings who can think or human groups. Irrationals are objects, plants animals… who cannot think. Abstracts are more action. For example animals can be rational or irrational, depending on teller’s vision. Nevertheless, the border between irrational and abstract is very clear. For example singing ‘püülâp’ is abstract but the song ‘piilâp’ is irrational. In the verbs noun class marking expresses the noun class of the subjects of the sentence.
There are two kinds to mark rationality: volitional rational and non-volitional rational. It expresses if the subject is willing to do the action. With nouns volitional forms can only be used in subject. Normally both subject and verb are either volitional or non-volitional.
These categories are expressed by variation in the first vowel.

Code: Select all

abstract, irrational,  rational non-volitional, rational volitional    
concrete, transitive         üü          ii            yy                           uu 
mental, transitive           üö          ie            yõ                           uo 
mental, intransitive         öö          ee            õõ                           oo 
concrete, intransitive       ää          ââ            aa                           åå
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Aqcin language

Post by Omzinesý »

The second vowel indicates the part of speech, tense and aspect in the verbs, and definiteness in the nouns.

verbs:

present/future            past
imperfective         o                           ö
perfective           u                           ü
stative              å                           ä
There are three degrees of definiteness in the language, they correspond to demonstarative pronouns. The endings depend on vowel harmony: a front vowel after a front vowel and a back vowel after a back vowel.
nouns:

'a'            i/y
'that/the'     a/â
'this'         e/õ
LetoAtreides
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by LetoAtreides »

The name is similar to Nolikan word for boy (axčin).
The specialty of the language are large mental terminology and categories. In their good days the Aqcins worked commonly as psychologists. For example a very strong curse word in Aqcin is ‘ruochâq’, meaning Alzheimer’s disease.
Great idea, but more suitable for a professional slang than an ethnic language.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

The specialty of the language are large mental terminology and categories. In their good days the Aqcins worked commonly as psychologists. For example a very strong curse word in Aqcin is ‘ruochâq’, meaning Alzheimer’s disease.

Great idea, but more suitable for a professional slang than an ethnic language.
Really? Professional languages are rather boring.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Code:
one i/y
this e/õ
that â/a
[/code]

These can be interpreted as articles. One is of course an indefinite article. But the demonstrative infix 'this' expressis everything that is close to the first person, also mentally. It's in his/her/its possession, it means him/her/it, its location is near... The infix 'that' is the same with the second and third person.

The vowel harmony can sometimes be broken to emphasize the meaning of the word more affective.

There are two noun cases in Aqcin: nominative and oblique. Oblique is formed from nominative with consonant graduation without any suffix. So it’s often similar to nominative. But it gets consonant graduation. In consonant graduation radical C3 becomes a sounded fricative if it is a soundless plosive, lh or s. p → b, t → d, c → j, k → g, q → r, ‘h → h, lh → l, s → z

Nominative is the case of the subject and the object. There is only one object in Aqcin. It often corresponds to English indirect object. Rational volitional nouns can only be used as subjects.

Oblique is used in many kinds of case governments. E.g. läähâr haamic ‘at-swimming he-is-good’
It marks also the direct object of dative-like action, while the recipient is the nominative object. Oblique case is also used to express the object of participle structures. Oblique is used with all postpositions, as well.

It’s a case of definition if there are more noun cases in Aqcin. The postpositions after oblique case are very similar to case suffixes, but I’ll call them postpositions. For example genitive is formed with a postposition o/ö. A locative postposition is ikh/ykh, which can be dropped off if the context is clear. Postpositions agree vowel harmony, as well.
E.g. jaarim o naabak. ‘person’s star ship’
naabag (yx) 'in the star ship'
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Adjective attributes are formed, by adding the adjective suffix e to a verb or noun stem with this soft mutation (consonant graduation). Often, if it’s easy to pronounce, the vowel V2 is dropped off before the adjective suffix. The e is actually the participle marker.
E.g. boonyt ‘It is blue.’
boon(y)de ‘blue’ (which is blue)

The difference between adjectives and participles is so only the possible dropping of V2.
There are no relative clauses in Aqcin. They are replaced by participles. There are two kinds of participles: active and passive. They are similar to active and medio-passive but they get the adjectival e –suffix.
E.g. Raahalh Haafaq nuulüp. ‘Raahalh kissed Haafaq.’
‘Haafar nuulübe Raahalh ‘Raahalh who kissed Haafaq’ (Haafaq is in oblique case.) (Haafaq-kissed Raahalh)
Rååhal o naalübe Haafaq ‘Haafaq whom Raahilh kissed.’ (Raahilh as an agent gets genitive postposition.)