A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Dubs into conlangs!

Post by Lambuzhao »

Harkani & 2-4 (Wabafet-drottinn):

A possibility -
Monkey around with some free TTS voices online. See which language/accent comes closest to how you want your conlang to sound. Record that!

E.g. I've done this with Rozwi. Even though I have imagined Rozwi as a kind of Indo-Aryan sounding descendant, the voices
I liked best were the female Romanian & Polish voices (plus their sound inventories could accomodate Rozwi's best).

I hope this might help some.
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

I am definitely going to do a couple of these! Though...the Hra'anh word for "horse" doesn't exist because it's an alien language. I'll have to create it.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

I did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7x6hZoiNs

but Youtube scrubbed the audio. :(
I doubt that valve sent a take-down so fast, so it seems you tube is scrubbing videos they judge infringing themselves.
hubris_incalculable
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by hubris_incalculable »

Foolster41 wrote:I did this

I doubt that valve sent a take-down so fast, so it seems you tube is scrubbing videos they judge infringing themselves.
Odd, it worked for me (I live in Canada, if that's any help)
<äʒƺçķļ>
<áéíóú>
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

Oh, I had my speakers off (feel dumb now. :P). Scrubbing is usually what they do.
Still, I find it a little weird, and I'm thinking of challenging this since they give permission to use the TF2 assets to make movies (there are countless versions of "met the heavy" on youtube. but simply doing a fan dub of a video is not OK? I suppose those might be deemed parody, and this is not.

Would translating a video (previously released for free to view on the internet, as opposed to a feature film or tv show) into my language constitute "educational" and thus fair use?

Hmm. It seems the assets for Meet the heavy and meet the engineer were released, thus permission to use (though I had thought the assets were the limit of the permission, why not allow making films with other materials as well?), so maybe if I translate one of those it will be alright.

Skomakarn, Pirka: Did you receive take down notices?
Harkani
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Harkani »

Skógvur wrote:
Harkani wrote:
Skógvur wrote:
Harkani wrote:Skógvur you lack sanity.
nevertheless this is awesome. I wish I could make a dub for myself...
:D

You should!
Haven't I already said I can't because I lack voice recording equipment?
Well, get some!
I don't have that kind of money!
"You can rant all you want about how amazing the video game industry would be if only you controlled it, but all you're accomplishing is confirming my image of you as a total crank." - Micamo 2011
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

Foolster41 wrote:I did this

I missed this link. Nice!
Foolster41 wrote:Skomakarn, Pirka: Did you receive take down notices?
Nope. We did both put notices that we claim no copyright in the description, though. Did you?
Harkani wrote:
Skógvur wrote:
Harkani wrote:
Skógvur wrote:
Harkani wrote:Skógvur you lack sanity.
nevertheless this is awesome. I wish I could make a dub for myself...
:D

You should!
Haven't I already said I can't because I lack voice recording equipment?
Well, get some!
I don't have that kind of money!
I feel you. I wouldn't have been able to get the equipment with my resources now, either, so I'm glad I already had it. Too bad.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

No, though I said it belongs to Valve in the description. After I got the warning I added "this is for educational purposes".
I'm still trying to contact valve, but I'm STILL not activated for the forums. :mrred:

It strikes me as strange that valve would care about a translation of a video they put out on the internet for free that gives credit, that is content they've already given permission to do remixes of for film making software they released.

Also, I find it odd they told me it's a violation (or I think they said "possible violation") but nothing's changed. If it were an actual violation, why did they not do anything?
CrazyEttin
sinic
sinic

Post by CrazyEttin »

Foolster41 wrote:No, though I said it belongs to Valve in the description. After I got the warning I added "this is for educational purposes".
I'm still trying to contact valve, but I'm STILL not activated for the forums. :mrred:

It strikes me as strange that valve would care about a translation of a video they put out on the internet for free that gives credit, that is content they've already given permission to do remixes of for film making software they released.

Also, I find it odd they told me it's a violation (or I think they said "possible violation") but nothing's changed. If it were an actual violation, why did they not do anything?
It might be an automated process or something.
mbrsart
sinic
sinic

Post by mbrsart »

Far as I know, YouTube uses bots to police their DMCA stuff. I think these qualify under Fair Use, but I'm not sure.
:con: Hra'anh | :eng: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :grc: [:|] | :heb: [:|] | :epo: [:S] | :deu: [:S] | :ita: [:S] | :bra: [:'(] | :fra: [:'(]