Constructed script challenge

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Constructed script challenge

Post by rafaeru »

I challenge every one to create a constructed script for French or English(or both), that looks like Chinese hanzi, Vietnamese Chu Nom or Japanese kanji. The writing has to be the most beautiful possible( by that I mean that I has to be very close to these scripts so one who read(at least a little) kanji, hanzi or chu nom could think that it is kanji, hanzi or chu nom). It has to use Chinese characters 'block structure' and be alphabetical, no ideograms, no pictograms etc...

You have until September the first to create it.

I ask people to do that challenge because there are very few people that done that only 2 or 3 are on omniglot.com.
It would be very interesting to see the results.
Native: French Fluent: English, toki pona Learning: German, Esperanto, Chinese and Japanese.
Batailleur
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Constructed script challenge

Post by Batailleur »

Do the characters have to be taken from the scripts you mentioned or can they be made-up and yet in a Chinese style?

Also, are you sure about it being alphabetical? The radicals could very conveniently be used for vowels in an abudiga system.
ILR 5 = :eng:
ILR 4 = :rus:
ILR 3 = None
ILR 2 = :fra:
ILR 1 = None
Abandoned = :gla: (Scots), :sqi:, :heb:, :epo:
Current Obsession = ASL
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

rafaeru wrote: I ask people to do that challenge because there are very few people that done that only 2 or 3 are on omniglot.com.

You are referring to:
Linglese (Ling <凌>) - ( [<3] the hiragana-style letters)
Square Word Calligraphy (Xu Bing 徐冰) - [<3]
Rhaelik (Jeff Anderson <Akumu>) - Passable

Also, our own Bristel seems to be writing some form of Chinese to represent English in the Rite English Yor Waythread.

Furthermore,
Lambuzhao wrote:Enjoying two new fonts made for my :con: Yauchuan's abugida. They are based in principle upon the Old Persian cuneiform script. However, it was "re-imagined" (I know, sooooo overused) as written with ink & brush instead of stylus on clay. I used Chinese stroke forms to rework the symbols. I have a straighter, more block form that I tweaked from MingLiu font. I also have a more cursive, hiragana-ish "grass style" font that I tweaked from an online chinese font displayer.

The sweet part is, since there's no pesky diacritics to worry about as in Rozwi and Kwijin, Yauchuan stacks up really nicely vertically and/or horizontally.

BTW, I have given up writing Rozwi vertically. So far, the diacritics just won't behave well when I try to line the symbols up vertically. Plus, there's like a ton of
wasted space between each character. I think when I mapped the symbols, the individual characters were way too small.

Next challenge - uploading samples for y'all to see.

Sounds interesting :wat:

Not to jump the gun, but maybe a second challenge would be to come up with a Hanzi-emulating font/writing style for one's own :con: ?
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

So it has to be aesthetically like Hanzi but functionally like Hangul or Katakana?
g

o

n

e
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

sano wrote:So it has to be aesthetically like Hanzi but functionally like Hangul or Katakana?
...and has to be able to fool someone who can read those scripts.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

Batailleur wrote:Do the characters have to be taken from the scripts you mentioned or can they be made-up and yet in a Chinese style?

Also, are you sure about it being alphabetical? The radicals could very conveniently be used for vowels in an abudiga system.
They can be made-up and yet in a Chinese style and I like your idea of abugida, I'm very impatient to see the result.
Native: French Fluent: English, toki pona Learning: German, Esperanto, Chinese and Japanese.
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

Lambuzhao wrote:
rafaeru wrote: I ask people to do that challenge because there are very few people that done that only 2 or 3 are on omniglot.com.

You are referring to:
Linglese (Ling <凌>) - ( [<3] the hiragana-style letters)
Square Word Calligraphy (Xu Bing 徐冰) - [<3]
Rhaelik (Jeff Anderson <Akumu>) - Passable

Also, our own Bristel seems to be writing some form of Chinese to represent English in the Rite English Yor Waythread.

Furthermore,
Lambuzhao wrote:Enjoying two new fonts made for my :con: Yauchuan's abugida. They are based in principle upon the Old Persian cuneiform script. However, it was "re-imagined" (I know, sooooo overused) as written with ink & brush instead of stylus on clay. I used Chinese stroke forms to rework the symbols. I have a straighter, more block form that I tweaked from MingLiu font. I also have a more cursive, hiragana-ish "grass style" font that I tweaked from an online chinese font displayer.

The sweet part is, since there's no pesky diacritics to worry about as in Rozwi and Kwijin, Yauchuan stacks up really nicely vertically and/or horizontally.

BTW, I have given up writing Rozwi vertically. So far, the diacritics just won't behave well when I try to line the symbols up vertically. Plus, there's like a ton of
wasted space between each character. I think when I mapped the symbols, the individual characters were way too small.

Next challenge - uploading samples for y'all to see.

Sounds interesting :wat:

Not to jump the gun, but maybe a second challenge would be to come up with a Hanzi-emulating font/writing style for one's own :con: ?
Indeed, I'm referring to them. But I never saw Akumu. And your conscripts seem interesting, could you give me a link?
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

sano wrote:So it has to be aesthetically like Hanzi but functionally like Hangul or Katakana?
Yes
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

Keenir wrote:
Yes, it has to be able to fool someone who can read those scripts. By the way, you can use katakana and hiragana, but it's better if they're combined with kanji.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

what, can't you just [horribly ab]use bopomofo

/p b t d tS dZ k g/ <ㄆ ㄅ ㄊ ㄉ ㄔ ㄓ ㄎ ㄍ>
/m n N l r j w/ <ㄇ ㄋ ㄫ ㄌ ㄖㄐ ?>
/f v T D s z S Z h/ <ㄈ ㄪ ㄘ ㄗ ㄙ ㆡ ㄕ ㄕ ㄏ>
/{ A E V O e @` o I U i u ai au oi/ <ㄚ ㄜ ㄝ ㆨ ㄛ ㄟ ㄦ ㄡ 市 ㄨ ㄧ ㄩ ㄞ ㄠ
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

rafaeru wrote:
Keenir wrote:
Yes, it has to be able to fool someone who can read those scripts. By the way, you can use katakana and hiragana, but it's better if they're combined with kanji.
:?: [O.o]
So...do you want us to create a script, or just use kanji/hiragana/katakana to cipher English? :?:
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

I think the bopomofo is ugly, I need something that really looks like chinese characters.
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

Yes, I already have my idea(doing a mix of kanji and hiragana), but I would like to see what the others can do.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

rafaeru wrote:I think the bopomofo is ugly, I need something that really looks like chinese characters.
So, are we making a script for you, then?
g

o

n

e
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

No, I'm making my own script following the principles I said upper, what I want here is to see what can the other do. I'll show you my conscript before the first of september. My only objective here is to share creativity between conlangers.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Nortaneous wrote:what, can't you just [horribly ab]use bopomofo

/p b t d tS dZ k g/ <ㄆ ㄅ ㄊ ㄉ ㄔ ㄓ ㄎ ㄍ>
/m n N l r j w/ <ㄇ ㄋ ㄫ ㄌ ㄖㄐ ?>
/f v T D s z S Z h/ <ㄈ ㄪ ㄘ ㄗ ㄙ ㆡ ㄕ ㄕ ㄏ>
/{ A E V O e @` o I U i u ai au oi/ <ㄚ ㄜ ㄝ ㆨ ㄛ ㄟ ㄦ ㄡ 市 ㄨ ㄧ ㄩ ㄞ ㄠ
Best idea for this, really.

You could extend this by using a few of the Kangxi radicals for common phoneme clusters...

/aɪər/ - 比

/ɪər/ - 白

etc...
g

o

n

e
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

How would you use bopomofo in a block structure? For Example can you show me the word "Liberty" written in bopomofo in block structure?
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

rafaeru wrote:How would you use bopomofo in a block structure? For Example can you show me the word "Liberty" written in bopomofo in block structure?
Hey, guess what, "Liberty" doesn't even occur in "block structure" in Hanzi.

自由 - freedom; free; liberty

You're probably not going to get what you want out of this. Just sayin'.
g

o

n

e
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

I mean that every Chinese character can be placed in an invisible square. This is what I call block structure.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

rafaeru wrote:I mean that every Chinese character can be placed in an invisible square.
OH.

Well then:

ㄌ市ㄦㄖㄊㄧ = "Liberty" with Nort's bopomofo repurposing.
g

o

n

e