‘mhm̋ = ‘ohaa

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Re: ‘mhm̋ = ‘ohaa

Post by Nortaneous »

Can't be bothered to quote the post where this came up, but some natlangs contrast [m] with [ŋ͡m]. And just look at all the contrasts Yeli Dnye has.

Is the point that the language can be pronounced with the mouth closed, or is the point that the language can be pronounced with no tongue?
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

Spoiler:
Micamo wrote:
Raydred wrote:
CMunk wrote:Oh, and I'm not Micamo ;-)
Forgive me mate. Those comics keep distracting me damn it.
>.>
Nortaneous wrote:Is the point that the language can be pronounced with the mouth closed, or is the point that the language can be pronounced with no tongue?
With the mouth closed, almost sure of it.
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

Spoiler:
Do these cartoons have a homepage? They're hilaríous. (I assume Micamo is the author, no?)
Raydred wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:Is the point that the language can be pronounced with the mouth closed, or is the point that the language can be pronounced with no tongue?
Yeah, mouth closed. I thought the difference between different "vowel" qualities was quite sublte, but a two-way distinction may actually work (for me). I could romanize it as n contra m and as ö ï ä ë contra o i a e. I'll have to give it some thought - I really could use the extra vowels.
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
Creating: :con:Jwar Nong, :con:Mhmmz
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

CMunk wrote:
Spoiler:
Do these cartoons have a homepage? They're hilaríous. (I assume Micamo is the author, no?)
Raydred wrote:
Yeah, mouth closed. I thought the difference between different "vowel" qualities was quite sublte, but a two-way distinction may actually work (for me). I could romanize it as n contra m and as ö ï ä ë contra o i a e. I'll have to give it some thought - I really could use the extra vowels.
1. mimiandeunice.com
2. Rising and falling vowels sound weird unless put on a whole sentence. But still two vowels is too little.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Raydred wrote:But still two vowels is too little.
You Ubykh/Margi/Arrernte me mad.
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

MrKrov wrote:
Yes yes... Let me rephrase that. Two vowels is too troublesome. Is it doable? Perfectly doable! But it's troublesome...
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

Raydred wrote:
MrKrov wrote:
Yes yes... Let me rephrase that. Two vowels is too troublesome. Is it doable? Perfectly doable! But it's troublesome...
I guess I could make a three-way (ooh, sexy) distinction if I made them far enough from eachother. Plain [m̩], palatal [ɲ͡m̩] and uvular [ɴ͡m̩]. And romanize them as m, n, ŋ and o i a e, õ ĩ ã ẽ, ǫ į ą ę.

I must say this way it seems sillier and sillier to mark tone with the vowel symbol and quality with a diacritic. Especially since the blue romanization is no longer easy to type...
Native: :dan: | Fluent: :uk: | Less than fluent: :deu:, :jpn:, :epo: | Beginner: Image, :fao:, :non:
CMunk
greek
greek

Post by CMunk »

Here's a chart of the vowels and some awkworded monosyllabic words to see what it would look like: