Con-Script Development Centre

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

As some of you may know, I've begun working on my first "logographic" script. It is heavily based on an existing real world script called Tangut. However, the current design makes me worry it is too derivative. I have made many modifications to the order and placement of elements but relatively few to the form: with the notable exception of adding in some glyph shapes that don't ever appear in Tangut.

So, my question is, does anyone have any thoughts?

There are three characters in my sig and a bunch more on the Frath page: https://www.frathwiki.com/Vung_D%C3%A1c_T%C3%B5
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I've been working on a horizontal script for Onschen. I want it to be a syllabary, but it will likely be an abugida. As for its letterforms, I'm trying to make it a mix between Devanagari and Mongolian alphabets, without trying to make it look like either.

The writing system was originally written on the bones of various marine mammals, like seals and whales, which are apparently a bit grainy. Hence, the letter forms consist of straight lines at various angles (usually increments of 15 degrees) and wide curves.
The bottom one got cut out a bit since I haven't figure out how to get parts of letters to go to the line above if possible.

Also, anybody got idea for letterforms?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I actually made a lot of modifications to letters and now they have word-initial forms:
samthewoxx
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by samthewoxx »

Working on this, what do you guys think?
https://imgur.com/jTbQvYX
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Not exactly sure what I was looking at aside from a lot of lines. Is there description on how that is used or what different things mean?
Ghoster
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ghoster »

What would happen if China had colonized Persia.
Native: :pol:; Advanced: :usa: :chn: :nld:; Intermediate: :esp:; Lower intermediate: :deu: :rus: :fra: :nor:; Beginner: :jpn: :kor: :hkg:
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Ghoster wrote: 24 Dec 2017 00:07http://i67.tinypic.com/30uzuqt.png
What would happen if China had colonized Persia.
Neat! [B)]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Dat is pretty cool.

Also, Eldin, I'm quite miffed you haven't used one of the avies I made you yet.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 24 Dec 2017 00:51 Dat is pretty cool.

Also, Eldin, I'm quite miffed you haven't used one of the avies I made you yet.
Sorry! I don't know how to do that any more, apparently. Also I appear to have forgotten where they are? Will try again sometime this holiday.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

LOL

'Twas mostly a joke. If you click the little person silhouette on the top bar, then user control panel, then profile and then I think there's a tab that says avatar? As for the images, they are here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6392
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 24 Dec 2017 19:53 LOL

'Twas mostly a joke. If you click the little person silhouette on the top bar, then user control panel, then profile and then I think there's a tab that says avatar? As for the images, they are here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6392
OK, I have done it. It wouldn't let me use my first choice because the file-size was out-of-range (>19KB?). But it liked my second choice!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I can see if I can adjust the filesize of the other one when I get home if you like. The parchment one, right?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have two more letters, although I am not being satisfied with the bottom-most one:
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Are there any programs for making syllabaries? I'm working on my cat langs again and haven't decided if they'll use their own writing or an extended version of Japanese kana, but I think they will use a syllabary and maybe occasional kanji. So I'd like to know my options for digital things without needing to "write" it in an art program.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

What do you mean exactly by program for making syllabaries?
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 25 Dec 2017 19:26 What do you mean exactly by program for making syllabaries?
Just, I know there are programs for making fonts tied to the Latin alphabet which could be used for making some conscripts, but I was wondering if any were specifically good for making a font for syllabaries not connected to existing syllabaries? Or would I probably use a Latin based one and use a lot of ligatures so that, for example <la> -> [tick] but <lo> -> [cross] ? I've never made a font in the first place but I'd think there would be programs that are better or worse for specific types of writing system. I could be wrong on that.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Well, depending on your consonant inventory, you could just create your glyphs and overwrite the Japanese range in a font making program. That way you could use an IME for Japanese to write in your script. Honestly, I'm not the best to ask for this type of thing. Clawgrip would be a much better choice.
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 25 Dec 2017 19:48 Well, depending on your consonant inventory, you could just create your glyphs and overwrite the Japanese range in a font making program. That way you could use an IME for Japanese to write in your script. Honestly, I'm not the best to ask for this type of thing. Clawgrip would be a much better choice.
There's going to be a few more consonants, including syllable final ones, than are in Japanese but I might end up with a 4-vowel inventory (haven't decided yet). It might or might not work out. But this is a good start and I'll look into it. Thanks [:D]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Keep in mind that you could make use of the hiragana and katakana blocks... though I don't know how IMEs end up treating those or how easy it is to switch between them.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 24 Dec 2017 23:43 I can see if I can adjust the filesize of the other one when I get home if you like. The parchment one, right?
Yes!

Ahzoh wrote: 25 Dec 2017 07:33I have two more letters, although I am not being satisfied with the bottom-most one:
https://s9.postimg.org/4m3hplllb/seal_bone_script_3.png
(Is this when we're expected to say "looks like Tengwar"?) [;)]
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 26 Dec 2017 03:11, edited 1 time in total.