Con-Script Development Centre

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Con-Script Development Centre

Post by Ahzoh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 30 Dec 2017 07:07 I'm a fan of the one on the right, as I prefer the more stylized versions of scripts, generally. However, it looks like both of them have a few semi-transparent artefacts where two letterforms are supposed to connect but don't quite. You may want to make sure that the ends of your letters don't have semi transparent elements that are meant to be more sharp demarcations.
The font doesn't really do semi-transparency, those are where sharp demarcations are supposed to be but the program acts wonky near the edges like that. There's really nothing I can do about it since it's the program's doing.

My concern about the right one is I don't want people thinking it's comic-sans-y when it's supposed to be more resemblant of Syriac.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I see where you get the very slight Comic Sans vibe... but honestly, I see Syriac influence first (especially the first letter in the left-hand column). I wouldn't worry too much what the average person says... as most of the average folk will have no clue what your are doing in the first place with an invented language.

However, there are some spots which seem way too flat and square to fit with the style you seem to be going for. I circled 2 examples in red, but there are likely others. I feel like those would flow a bit more "curvaceously" than they do.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 30 Dec 2017 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I think I solved the problem of that letters tail, though the curve leading to the looped letter (henceforth "Abal") still makes it look squarish even though it's not when looked at closely.

I also have some diacritics of indeterminate value. Not liking the tilde one very much though, seems too thick for my tastes, especially compared to the dots.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

IMO, the changes you made, although subtle, helped a lot. As for the diacritics? I like them all except for the 3-dot one. Oh, and I agree about the tilde.

Maybe try something that (can?) connect to the character it modifies? Just thinking out loud.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 30 Dec 2017 11:01As for the diacritics? I like them all except for the 3-dot one. Oh, and I agree about the tilde.
Shame, the three-dot one is my favorite.

I think I will use double diacritics to indicate the long/nasal vowels, thus one dot for /e/ and two dots for /ẽ:/, one stroke for /o/ and two strokes for /õ:/
Maybe try something that (can?) connect to the character it modifies? Just thinking out loud.
I still haven't figured out how to get ligatures to work in this thing.
samthewoxx
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by samthewoxx »

What programs can I use to create my con-script?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Personally, I use a super old version of Photoshop. Illustrator is a really nice choice, but I'm not well versed in it. On the cheap, there's free versions like Inkscape and Gimp (I think that's the name). As long as you are messing with something better than Paint... There's hope you can make something cool. However, all of those programs take time to learn and get comfortable with.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

samthewoxx wrote: 30 Dec 2017 18:00What programs can I use to create my con-script?
I used a simple website called Fontstruct to generate the .ttf font file for my alphabetic/phonemic conscript. It is quick and easy to use, but the font can get pixelly if you are not good at graphic design. Also, this does not work for other writing systems, obviously.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

The script now has vowel diacritics:
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Here's a conscript which is the refinement of a conscript I developed a long time ago. I don't know how to make it a font, but I thought I'd post it here for some feedback.

The original name of the script was Ralin, although that is probably not going to be its current name as the language I've adapted it for does not have an /r/ phoneme. The script is essentially an abugida. The first photo shows the consonants, the second shows the vowel diacritics. The third photo shows a few example words. THe fourth does as well, but I wrote them with a calligraphy marker in a black letter-esque style.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Looks great, Spanick! And looks like you put a lot of work and a lot of thought into it, too!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

@Spanick: To be honest, I wasn't really on-board with your script until I saw the more calligraphic mode in that last spoiler. I really like it! It looks more distinctive in that form than just the "Ms and Us" of the other images as I first perceived them. Also, I see you changed your avatar to a flag. Is that for one of your con-nations? Seems to be a cool (and quite likely) design for a country's flag.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Thank to you both!
Thrice Xandvii wrote: 03 Jan 2018 01:13 @Spanick: To be honest, I wasn't really on-board with your script until I saw the more calligraphic mode in that last spoiler.
I totally understand. The original inspiration was the various styles of medieval manuscripts, particularly blackletter. It is in that mode that imagine it being written the most. That aesthetic doesn’t work using a regular ink pen. I’m glad that, despite my horrible calligraphy, that it works!
Also, I see you changed your avatar to a flag. Is that for one of your con-nations? Seems to be a cool (and quite likely) design for a country's flag.
Yes, it’s the flag for the Republic of Sortsberg. I can’t boast of having designed it. It’s actually just the flag of the Prince-Bishropic of Montenegro with a blue border, instead of white. Since Sortsberg takes the place of real life Montenegro, I try to keep it tethered to it in some ways. In real life, that flag (with the white border) was the first flag used when Montenegro declared themselves independent of the Ottomans. In my con-history, it is around this time that the Kingdom of Sortberg is established using this flag but with a golden border. After the Second World War and the establishment of the Republic, the royal flag is reused but with the blue border.

PS: I just realized that the script wasn’t called Ralin, that was the language it was for. The script was called ngaxwsrix and can be viewed here (it’s awful): https://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/fence.htm
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Not sure what this is exactly... but I made it. Unlikely to do anything at all with it. So, if you wanna play with it, be my guest.

(It was originally inspired by something fluffy8x posted somewhere. It's been changed a good deal, but that was most certainly where the idea sparked. From there I innovated some shapes, and such. Sylfaen is the font inspiration here, so I can't take credit for all of the forms either. It's "italicized" by skewing the finished normal product by -15°.)
Edit: I spent some time messing around with my own drawing of something similar... but much more angular and ended up with this:

Me likes.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I've been trying all week to come up with new letters for my script and looking at various scripts for inspiration, but nothing comes to mind.

Meanwhile, I've got archaic forms of my script's letters.

And put some of the letters into a table:
https://conworkshop.info/view_article.p ... 60c2dfe3bf
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 06 Jan 2018 02:02
Spoiler:
Not sure what this is exactly... but I made it. Unlikely to do anything at all with it. So, if you wanna play with it, be my guest.

(It was originally inspired by something fluffy8x posted somewhere. It's been changed a good deal, but that was most certainly where the idea sparked. From there I innovated some shapes, and such. Sylfaen is the font inspiration here, so I can't take credit for all of the forms either. It's "italicized" by skewing the finished normal product by -15°.)
Edit: I spent some time messing around with my own drawing of something similar... but much more angular and ended up with this:
Spoiler:
Me likes.
Looks a bit Armenian, doesn't it? Or maybe Nushkuri-Georgian?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 06 Jan 2018 02:02 (It was originally inspired by something fluffy8x posted somewhere. It's been changed a good deal, but that was most certainly where the idea sparked. From there I innovated some shapes, and such. Sylfaen is the font inspiration here, so I can't take credit for all of the forms either. It's "italicized" by skewing the finished normal product by -15°.)
Hmm, I can't remember posting anything that could possibly inspire your post. Maybe one of my posts about Jbl or Middle Rymakonian, but in that case, I can't take credit for the script.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Fluffy8x wrote: 06 Jan 2018 18:17 Hmm, I can't remember posting anything that could possibly inspire your post. Maybe one of my posts about Jbl or Middle Rymakonian, but in that case, I can't take credit for the script.
You posted some snippet of grammar or somesuch with a light pink background and a modified Latin script in use. It got my mind going and shot me on a trajectory that ended with what you see above. So, basically, you were my muse. LOL

(This post.)
Creyeditor wrote: 06 Jan 2018 12:50 Looks a bit Armenian, doesn't it? Or maybe Nushkuri-Georgian?
It does.

Also, up until I read this, I don't know that I'd ever looked at Nushkuri. As such, thanks!
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 06 Jan 2018 20:13 You posted some snippet of grammar or somesuch with a light pink background and a modified Latin script in use. It got my mind going and shot me on a trajectory that ended with what you see above. So, basically, you were my muse. LOL

(This post.)
That's no modified Latin script; that's hacm!
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

...which is a modified Latin alphabet.