Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang (Voice)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang (NP: Aspects)

Post by thaen »

Post IV: Aspects

Here it is: Aspects, and the end of the TAM system, for now.

There are four aspects: perfective, imperfective, inceptive, and terminative.

Perfective

The Perfective aspect is used to reference an action in it's entirety, without looking at time frame. It usually indicates the action has been completed. IT is formed by placing the infix -t before the onset of the stressed syllable.

øtnod
ø-t-nod
REAL-PFV-eat
"He has eaten it"

θnũvd
t-n<u><ⁿp>d
PFV-eat/FUT/DUB
"He probably will not have eaten it"
or
"I doubt he'll have eaten it"
etc.

tatkoor
t-tk<o><:>r'
PFV-make/PST/IRR
"He had not made it."

tatkuular'
t-tku<:r>r'
PFV-make/POT
"He has probably made it."

Imperfective

The imperfective often contrasts with the perfective, indicating the doing of an action; that is, it usually indicates an action that is undergoing. It is marked by infixing -ga- before the onset of the stressed syllable.

øganod
ø-ga-nod
REAL-IMPF-eat
"He is eating it."

ganũvd
ga-n<u><ⁿp>d
IMPF-eat/FUT/DUB
"He probably will not be eating it."
or
"I doubt he'll be eating it."
etc.

gatkoor'
ga-tk<o><:>r'
IMPF-make/PST/IRR
"He was not making it."

gatkuular
ga-tku<:r>r'
IMPF-make/POT
"He is probably making it."

Inceptive

The inceptive is used to indicate that an action is beginning, either for the first time, or it is the beginning of a new iteration, but is not used when an action is being resumed. I'm not sure how resumptive constructions will be handled. The Inceptive is marked by the infix -nʷ- before the onset of the stressed syllable.

ønmod
ø-nʷ-nod
REAL-INC-eat
"He begins to eat it."

nunũvd or numũvd or namũvd
nʷ-n<u><ⁿp>d
INC-eat/FUT/DUB
"He probably will not begin to eat it."

nutkoor or nupdoor or napkoor
nʷ-tk<o><:>r
INC-make/PST/IRR
"He did not begin to make it."

nupkuular' or nupkuulr'a
nʷ-tku<:r>r'
INC-make/POT
"He is probably beginning to make it."

Terminative

The Terminitive is used to indicate the stopping of an action before it is completed. It is marked by the suffix -d-.

ønodd or ønoð
ø-nod-d
REAL-eat-TERM
"He stops eating."

nũbð
nu<ⁿp>d-d
eat/DUB-TERM
"He will probably not stop eating."

tkoor'ad or tkoorð
tk<o><:>r'-d
make/PST/IRR-TERM
"He did not stop making it."

tkuulr'ad
tku<:r>r'-d
make/POT-TERM
"He is probably not stopping making it."

NOTE: It can be argued that Øð has a fifth, unmarked aspect, the Indicative, but there is no documented evidence, although through conversation with the native speakers it does seem that there is an Indicative.

Hopefully, I'll be able to put up a post about asking yes/no questions, which are altered depending on the expected answer.
Last edited by thaen on 21 Feb 2015 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Re: Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang (NP: Basic Verbs, Part I)

Post by Prinsessa »

You've done it again! Vanga's inceptive and terminative morphemes are -n- and -t- respectively. Bit more interesting allophony involved in your case, tho~

Looking very nice!
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang (NP: Basic Verbs, Part I)

Post by thaen »

Prinsessa wrote:You've done it again! Vanga's inceptive and terminative morphemes are -n- and -t- respectively. Bit more interesting allophony involved in your case, tho~

Looking very nice!
[:x] I promise I didn't steal them! [:$]

The allophony is all up in the air, still, but I've started seeing patterns in how things usually end up.

Thank you! [:D]

Spoiler:
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang

Post by thaen »

This isn't an official post. It's more of my working out the animacy hierarchy and such for Øð. I'd do it on paper, but I'm too lazy to get up.

There is a two-way animacy distinction: animate vs. inanimate. Animates are typically things that are alive, whereas inanimates encompass the rest. There are a few nouns considered to be animate that aren't necessarily alive, such as "fire," celestial bodies, the dead, diseases (they have not reached the level of technology that allows them to know that diseases are caused by living things), and some other stuff I haven't decided on yet.

As far as the hierarchy goes, it is (tentatively): celestial bodies/gods/spirits > humans > all the other animates > inanimates.

The pronouns hierarchy is (tentatively): 1P > 2(P) > 1S > 3(P). My excuse for the first person plural being above the second person is that the group is greater than one person; maybe it used to go something like 2P > 1P > 3P > 2S > 1S > 3S and now only the first person retained the distinction. I dunno.

Nouns are marked differently for all of their things depending on their animacy, but I plan to have some of them overlap. Marking will be obligatory, since roots can't stand alone.

This also means that I probably won't be using the flow of action indicators when glossing my pronomial affixes for Øð (that is, the > in between the two person numbers).

Spoiler:
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

What are the pronouns like anyway?
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Prinsessa wrote:What are the pronouns like anyway?
Not 100% sure, but I think they will be a bare root plus some affixation, probably. But I'll be looking for ways to spice them up. [:D]

Spoiler:
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

thaen wrote:
Not 100% sure, but I think they will be a bare root plus some affixation, probably. But I'll be looking for ways to spice them up. [:D]
The Indo-European way would of course be to have different subject and object roots for some of the pronouns. c;
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Prinsessa wrote:
thaen wrote:
The Indo-European way would of course be to have different subject and object roots for some of the pronouns. c;
Hmm, I might do that. I'm still thinking about case, or whether or not to have it. Also, I've been playing around with the idea of a colorless vowel whose surface form is dependent on surrounding phonemes, especially consonants. But I'm not sure when I'd use it.

Spoiler:
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð: a Thaeneous Speedlang ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ

Post by thaen »

Post V: Basic Questions

There are three ways to ask yes/no questions in Øð: one when expecting a "yes" response, one for a "no", and one when you are not sure what to expect.

Neutral Questions:

A neutral question is formed by placing the circumfix ʃo- -n'a around the verb.

ʃoʃoʃŋøʃn'a?
ʃo-ʃoʃ-'<ⁿ>øʃ-n'a
Q-water-verb_of_motion/INST-Q
"Did he swim here?" (lit, "Did he come here by water?")

ʃogatkor'n'a?
ʃo-ga-tk<o>r'-n'a
Q-IPFV-make/PST-Q
"Was he not making it?"

Positive Questions:

A positive question expects a "yes" answer. It is formed like the neutral, but the standalone clitic =be.

ʃotøtnodn'a be?
ʃo-tø-t-nod-n'a=be
Q-REAL-PFV-eat-Q=POS.POLARITY
"He has eaten it, hasn't he?"

Negative Questions:

Negative questions expect a "No" answer. They are formed like the neutral, but with the clitic =kapa

ʃotkoor'n'a kapa?
ʃo-tk<o><:>r'-n'a=kapa
Q-make/PST/IRR-Q=NEG.POL
"He did not make it, did he?"

I'm out of time, or else I'd put up more examples. Lemme know what you think!
Last edited by thaen on 20 Feb 2015 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler:
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Everything looks good, as usual.
thaen wrote:ʃotøtnodn'a be?
ʃo-tø-t-nod-n'a=be
Q-REAL-PFV-eat-Q-POS.POLARITY
There should be a = in the third line, right?
thaen wrote:ʃoʃoʃŋøʃn'a?
ʃo-ʃoʃ-'<ⁿ>øʃ-n'a
Nice! Makes me wonder how you'd say "Did he come here by boat?".
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

shimobaatar wrote:Everything looks good, as usual.
thaen wrote:ʃotøtnodn'a be?
ʃo-tø-t-nod-n'a=be
Q-REAL-PFV-eat-Q-POS.POLARITY
There should be a = in the third line, right?
thaen wrote:ʃoʃoʃŋøʃn'a?
ʃo-ʃoʃ-'<ⁿ>øʃ-n'a
Nice! Makes me wonder how you'd say "Did he come here by boat?".
1. Yes there should. It should read "=POS.POLARITY"

2. Probably via some incorporation of the root for "boat," which would potentially be different than the unincorporable form. I hope that didn't come out as sarcastic, because it wasn't.

Spoiler:
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

There are a bunch of interesting ideas here. Keep it up!
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

clawgrip wrote:There are a bunch of interesting ideas here. Keep it up!
Thank you! [:D] hopefully I'll get to show off my pronouns this afternoon!

Spoiler:
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

Post by thaen »

Post VI: Pronouns

In Øð, pronouns are handled very differently, on a fundamental level, than are verbs. Pronouns are formed via biliteral roots. I have no justification for this of yet, except that maybe Proto-Øð or whatever was tri/biliteral, and it got polysynthetic verbs from Nillahimma, which it shares a conworld with (maybe there will be a forced integration via imperialism, then the Øð-speakers broke back off, something like that...).

Also, there is a "colorless vowel"; colorless for a lack of a better word. I guess liquid vowel, shifting vowel, or something would work. Anyways, it's surface realization is totally dependent on the surrounding phones. The behaviors of the colorless vowel are almost totally arbitrary. As of now, the vowel is written <x>, but don't worry; it never shows up on the surface.
There are four persons in Øð: first, second, third, and fourth, with the third and fourth being sometimes called proximate and obviate, respectively. Øð marks (pro)nouns for two numbers: singular and plural.

Øð has, as of now, four cases: Agent, Undergoer, Theme, and Benefactive. These are suffixed onto the pronoun. The Agent is used for the doer of the verb...pretty straightforward. The Undergoer and Theme ought to be explained together: they both mark a Patient, but the Undergoer marks a Patien that undergoes change, while the Theme marks a Patient that does not change. This brings forth the implications of a active/static distinction (I decided to add Theme literally five minutes ago), which will wreck who-knows-what kind of havoc on my verbs. [:'(] We shall have to see...
These pronouns also have incorporated forms, which usually truncates them into more bite-sized syllables, and combining the Agent/Patient/Theme forms.
There is also a null pronoun, which is used for such constructions as "It rained," "It is September," or "It is a bad day."
All right, now for the real deal. Here we go:

Unincorporated Forms

k-r First Person
kxr [kır] 1S.AGT kxrn [kırn] 1S.UND kxrg [kırg] 1S.THE kxrs [kırs] 1S.BEN
kør 1P.AGT kørn 1P.UND kørg 1P.THE kørs 1P.BEN

t-ʔ Second Person
txʔ [teʔ] 2S.AGT txʔn [teʔn] 2S.UND txʔg [teʔg] 2S.THE txʔs [teʔs] 2S.BEN
tøʔ 2P.AGT tøʔn 2P.UND tøʔg 2P.THE tøʔs 2P.BEN

n-b Third Person
nxb [nub] 3S.AGT nxbn [numb]1 3S.UND nxbg [nuvg]2 3S.THE nxbs [nubs[/b] 3S.BEN
nøb 3P.AGT nøbn [nomb]1 3P.UND nøbg [nøvg]2 3P.THE nøbs 3P.BEN

g-ʃ Fourth Person
gxʃ [gıʃ]v4S.AGT gxʃn [gıʃn] 4S.UND gxʃg [gıʃg] 4S.THE gxʃs [gıʃs] 4S.BEN
gøʃ 4P.AGT gøʃn 4P.UND gøʃg 4P.THE gøʃs 4P.BEN

1. Note the change /n/>[m] and the metathesis
2. Note the change /b/>[v]

Incorporated Forms

The incorporated forms are as follows:

Code: Select all

A/U/T       BEN
1S   kı        kıs
1P   kø        køs
2S   te        tes
2P   tø        tøs
3S   nu        nu
3P   nø        nøs
4S   gı        gıs
4P   gø        gøs
Null Pronoun

The null pronoun in Øð is -ʔx [ʔu]. It suffixes on to the verb. It can change in surface form depending on following sounds. The most common change is when followed by the clitic =kapa, where it becomes -ʔı.

Spoiler:
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð : a Thaeneous Speedlang ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

Post by thaen »

Post VII: Tone

Here is the rudimentary tone system in Øð. If I don't scrap the tone, this will be my first conlang to have it.

Basics

There are two tones: high and low.
The high tone is marked via an acute diacritic, and the low tone is unmarked.
For the purposes of this post, all <x> is any vowel. <X> is any other vowel, when paired with <x>. For instance, xxX is a sequence is two like vowels followed by a different vowel.

High tone: x́
Low tone: x

Long vowels can achieve a "rising" or "falling" effect:

Rising: xx́
Falling: x́x

Depending on how I decide on diphthongs, xX patterns may merge into a diphthong that has one tone, depending on conditions currently unknown.

Sandhi I think

[->] high tone becomes low before a glottal stop x́ > x / _ʔ*

[->] a short high tone vowel preceded by a different long high tone vowel becomes low x́x́X́ > x́x́X

[->] a short low tone vowel preceded by a different long low tone vowel becomes high xxX > xxX́

[->] when three adjacent vowels (two may form a long vowel xxX or Xxx, or may be three different vowels) have the same tone, the middle vowel switches tone xxX Xxx > xx́X Xx́x ; x́x́X́ X́x́x́ > x́xX́ X́xx́

*the glottal stop is now written as <ʔ> in the orthography

Effects on Morphology

Barring the few exceptions, morphemes do not have inherent tone. When they are put onto a root, they are allocated tone of the previous vowel, following the sandhi rules. Incorporated nouns keep their tone, but are subject to the sandhi rules, so their tones may change drastically.

Spoiler:
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

thaen wrote:Barring the few exceptions, morphemes do not have inherent tone. When they are put onto a root, they are allocated tone of the previous vowel, following the sandhi rules. Incorporated nouns keep their tone, but are subject to the sandhi rules, so their tones may change drastically.
Do you mean that bound/dependent morphemes don't have inherent tone? Roots are a kind of morpheme, but it sounds like they do have inherent tone, unless I'm misreading this.
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

shimobaatar wrote:
thaen wrote:Barring the few exceptions, morphemes do not have inherent tone. When they are put onto a root, they are allocated tone of the previous vowel, following the sandhi rules. Incorporated nouns keep their tone, but are subject to the sandhi rules, so their tones may change drastically.
Do you mean that bound/dependent morphemes don't have inherent tone? Roots are a kind of morpheme, but it sounds like they do have inherent tone, unless I'm misreading this.
Ah, thank you! Yes, bound morphemes do not have inherent tone, whereas unbound morphemes (roots, in this case) do.

Spoiler:
thaen
roman
roman

Re: Øð:a Thaeneous Speedlang ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ

Post by thaen »

Post VIII: Voice

Øð has eight voices: active, passive, middle, reciprocal, three applicatives, and causative.

Active Voice

The active voice indicates that the subject acts on the object. In the case of Øð, the agent acts upon the patient. It is unmarked.

øtned
ø - t - n<e>d
REAL-PFV-eat/PST
He had eaten it.

kinestesøbuk
ki-tes-net-ø-buk
1s.A-2s.B-cake-REAL-give
I give a cake to you

Passive Voice

The passive is a valency-decreasing operation that demotes or deletes the agent, and promotes the patient to the subject. In Øð, the promoted argument does not change case, and the original agent is demoted to the oblique. The passive voice is marked by the infix oⁿ placed before the onset of the first root syllable.

akir netθesøomuk
akir net - tes - ø - oⁿ - buk
1S.O cake-2S.B-REAL-PASS-give
A cake is given to you by me.

Notice how it differs from kinestesøbuk; the order of the second person pronoun and the IN are switched. The IN takes the agent/undergoer/theme slot (I just made this up, so it might mean that the incorporated forms of pronouns are not changed for case) instead of the IN slot, thus showing that cake is the focus of the sentence, instead of akir netθesøomuk, where the focus is me, yielding I am given a cake by you.

Middle Voice

The middle voice is an operation that indicates the agent is action on itself. Can also be called a reciprocal voice. It is marked by the suffix -ti, which almost always surfaces as .

ʃrøn ørbeʔekɕ
ʃrøn ø - rbe<ʔe>k - ti
bunny REAL-love/PST-RECIP
The rabbit loved itself

Reciprocal Voice

The reciprocal voice is an operation that indicates that the agents are acting on themselves. It is marked via the suffix -naz. Interestingly enough, this is, so far, the only occurrence of /z/.

gakteetnez
ga - kte<:>t - nez
IMPF-hit/IRR-MID
He and it are not hitting each other.

(Yes, that is a really lame sentence, but I'm too lazy to make a decent one.)

Locative Applicative Voice

The locative applicative voice is a valency-increasing operation that promotes the location or destination to the oblique case. It is marked by the suffix -ʔee. Note: locatives such as =nʔu do not require the locative applicative voice.

naaøʔøʃʔee
naa - ø - ʔ<ø>ʃ - ʔee
home-REAL-verb_of_motion/PST-APPL.LOC
He went home

The agent is assumed to be the third person, since the verb is in the applicative voice, which assumes the explicit (even unmarked) argument (if there is only one) to be the oblique.

Comitative Applicative Voice

The comitative applicative voice is a valency-increasing operation that promotes the noun accompanying the subject to the oblique case. It is marked by the infix -ʲ-, which is inserted in between the onset and the vowel of the first root syllable.

tekikııʃ
te - ki - ga - ʔ<ʲ>ı<:>ʃ
2s.A-1s.O-IMPF-verb_of_motion/APPL.COM/IRR
I am not going with you

Instrumental Applicative Voice

The instrumental applicative voice is a valency-increasing operation that promotes the instrument to the oblique case. It is marked by the infix -tⁿ- placed before the vowel and before the onset of the second vowel of the root syllable; if the root is monosyllabic, it is placed like the comitative applicative voice infix.

ʃoʃøtʔtĩʃnʔu
ʃoʃ - ø - t - ʔ<tⁿ>ıʃ=nʔu
water-REAL-PFV-verb_of_motion/APPL.INST=LOC.PROX
He has swum here.

Causative Voice

The causative voice is a valency-increasing operation that introduces a causer as the agent, and demotes the original agent to the theme. It is indicated by the suffix -run.

kir teøuʃerun
kir te-ø-uʃe-run
1s.A 2s.U-sleep-CAUS
I make you sleep

kir tenetønodrun
kir te-net-ø-nod-run
1s.A 2s.THE-cake-REAL-eat-CAUS
I make you eat a cake

kir tenetøbukrun ginee
kir te-net-ø-buk-run gin-ee
1s.A 2s.THE-cake-REAL-give-CAUS man-BEN
I make you give a cake to the man

Spoiler:
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

thaen wrote:kinestesøbuk
ki-tes-net-ø-buk
D:

Not ki-net-tes-?
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Prinsessa wrote:
thaen wrote:kinestesøbuk
ki-tes-net-ø-buk
D:

Not ki-net-tes-?
Ah, that's a typo. I am will working on the template, so either the slots will be case-based or pronoun v. Noun based. That is, as of now, the first two slots are for pronouns especially, so the benefactive will come first. But I may change it to the order or case hierarchy, something like A-U-T-B or something along those lines. What do you think?

Spoiler: