Savvinic (Modern Day Oscan)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Iparxi_Zoi
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Savvinic (Modern Day Oscan)

Post by Iparxi_Zoi »

I have a soft spot for a posteriori conlangs. [<3]

Forgive my ignorance, I may have missed it, but where did you get the nominative -u ending from?
Iparxi_Zoi
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Iparxi_Zoi »

The developments are actually quite remarkable. Savvinic seems to be a very innovative Italic language, much in the same way as French has evolved to be so different from Latin. The nasal+plosive --> double/germinated plosive sounds interesting. I've only seen it occur in one Native American language family, I can't remember which now right now. Do you have a complete phonological inventory that you could show us for this language? [:)]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Iparxi_Zoi wrote:Do you have a complete phonological inventory that you could show us for this language?
There's a "sketch" of one in the first post of the thread, and a more detailed look at the phonology around the middle of the second page in this post.
Iparxi_Zoi wrote:The nasal+plosive --> double/germinated plosive sounds interesting. I've only seen it occur in one Native American language family, I can't remember which now right now.
Could you perhaps quote an example of this from the thread? I looked back over the sound changes and only saw instances of nasal + stop > geminate nasal, but I could be overlooking something.
Iparxi_Zoi
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Iparxi_Zoi »

kanejam wrote: nt → tt /_V (not sure about these three)
nk → kk /_V
mp → pp /_V
There you go [:)] shimobaatar
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Ah, OK. I assumed you meant voiced stops only for some reason.
Iparxi_Zoi
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Iparxi_Zoi »

shimobaatar wrote:Ah, OK. I assumed you meant voiced stops only for some reason.
Maybe because it is more common for voiceless plosives to become voiced after a nasal consonant.
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Iparxi_Zoi wrote:I have a soft spot for a posteriori conlangs. [<3]

Forgive my ignorance, I may have missed it, but where did you get the nominative -u ending from?
Thanks! The -u for a-stems comes from Oscan -ú /o/ which comes from Proto-Italic *-ā, same as the nom. ending for Latin first declension.

It's funny you say that Savvinic feels innovative. To me, it seems horridly conservative, although I'm a little more familiar with Oscan, which is itself fairly conservative. For example, the ei in deicun goes back to PIE *ey. That, along with the retention of cases and the original future makes me think of it as fairly conservative. Most of the innovations are shared by (or at least parallel to) the most conservative Romance languages. This will be apparent in basic vocabulary as well, although it will be somewhat eclipsed by the large number of loanwords.
Iparxi_Zoi wrote:The nasal+plosive --> double/germinated plosive sounds interesting. I've only seen it occur in one Native American language family, I can't remember which now right now.
Um I can't remember where I got it from, but I definitely borrowed it from somewhere in Europe. Maybe the Scandinavian languages? It might not be common but I certainly don't think it's that weird.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Um I can't remember where I got it from, but I definitely borrowed it from somewhere in Europe. Maybe the Scandinavian languages? It might not be common but I certainly don't think it's that weird.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that happened in Icelandic, cf. bakki cognate with English bank (I think). Prinsessa would know the details. [:)]
Sumelic
greek
greek

Post by Sumelic »

I think it occurs across morpheme boundaries in a lot of dialects of Inuit as well, since consonant clusters have to agree in MOA.
Zythros Jubi
sinic
sinic

Post by Zythros Jubi »

And what would be modern descendants of Umbrian, Sicel and Messapic look like?
Lostlang plans: Oghur Turkic, Gallaecian Celtic, Palaeo-Balkanic