Re: Lago

Post by shimobaatar »

thaen wrote:"It's got...FANGS!!
Hehe.
thaen wrote:so we'll call it Harsh.
You can say that again.

This is quite interesting. I do have a few questions, though:
thaen wrote:"The making of the honorable broods."
How often does this take place within a given nest?
thaen wrote:When the gestation period is up,

How long does this take?
thaen wrote:Upon reaching sexual maturity,
What age is this?
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Questions! Huzzah!

Okay, so all of this depends on how similar these rabbits are to Earth-Rabbits. Earth rabbits have a gestation period of one month, and become sexually mature at six months, IIRC. Actually, the gestation period is freakishly on point; 30~31 days on the dot. It takes another month for the young to be separable from their mother, so, theoretically, the ceremonious mating could take place every two months, but I may have it be more like every six months, so that the queens can focus on raising their brood and preparing them for D-Day. Then, on the two days following the ceremony, the Warrior-Buck would impregnate the queens again. This means that from impregnation to sexual maturity (on the day) would be seven months; that is one "cycle," just over half of an Earth-year.
Alternatively, the Queens could take one month after birthing to provide another month of attention to the raising of their brood without being pregnant, then become pregnant again. This means that, in the space of Twelve months, four cycles are started.

Month 1: Ceremony
Month 2: Birth of Cycle One
Month 3: End of Post-Birth Necessary Maternal Presence

Month 4: Ceremony
Month 5: Birth of Cycle Two
Month 6: End of Post-Birth Necessary Maternal Presence

Month 7: Ceremony
Month 8: Birth of Cycle Three
Month 9: End of Post-Birth Necessary Maternal Presence

Month 10: Ceremony
Month 11: Birth of Cycle Four
Month 12: End of Post-Birth Necessary Maternal Presence

Obviously, it isn't an exact science, but it's close enough for now.

So, for now, I will be following the reproductive and developmental traits of Earth-Rabbits, but that is subject to change.

In explicit answer to your questions, Shimo:

1) Four times a year, approximately.

2) The Queens are prego for one month, then take two months to raise their brood without being pregnant.

3) The age of sexual maturity is six months.
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

A Bit O' Hist'ry

Eendaryd, the sole survivor in his aboluth ngååles, killed his father to become the mbaryng of his nest (something unheard of), and murdered all of the aboluth amb, both ngååles and ngenge. Then he impregnated the Queens of his father, and did not honor the fammyl dy lhi aboluth elve nor the ymbųwey lhi aboluth! He raised him an army of offspring and began enslaving other nests, killing the mbaryngs and their aboluth amb ngååles; then he raised up the aboluth amb ngenge and won their favor. He took the best Queens for himself and gave the rest to the weak broods: in this way he gained their loyalty, for otherwise they would never have the right to a Queen. He subjugated all in his region, then moved over the mountains to attack there. The nests there heard of his coming and banded together.

Alas! Eendaryl had so many warriors! They had no honor, not having experienced the ymbųwey lhi aboluth, but they were many. Their numbers overcame the experience and skill of the nests over the mountains. They were all slaughtered, except for the few who were able to escape.

Eendaryd set himself up over all, and ruled over all -- how unnatural! He made the nests send them their children to feed his army.

Oh, can anyone stop him?!

Spoiler:
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

A Quandary

I think I want to make Lago isolating-fusion, instead of purely isoating. I just am not really happy with how it's going right now. I also need to shorten the morphemes to single syllables. That's one of the main problems. I am having to resist the call of morpheme to word ratios -- ratios along the lines of n:1, where n>7. [:S]

So, I was thinking I could have nouns take a single, polyexponential morpheme (a suffix, for now), maybe utilizing additional morphemes in the form of particles. Verbs, OTOH, would remain isolating. I'd like to make use of suprafixes, such as rhoticizing vowel in position x to show volition, etc. Maybe Proto-Lago was agglutinating, and the nominal morphemes fused, and the verbal morphemes separated into particles. /hu: no:z/? I'm not sure if that is even a naturalistic process. And, I want adjectives to decline for agreement with their heads.

Also, I was at work today, contemplating the intricacies of the Spanish tu/Ud. forms, and I decided I was going to basically toss what I had - actually, toss isn't a good way to say it. I am revamping it, and I am going to expand it in light of the new cultural stuff I have discovered. I want to have kinship terms based on what brood one is from, different pronouns for members of dominant, weak, and outcast broods. Special forms for a mbaryng to use when speaking to his Queens, and vice versus. Different forms for members of different nests. Different forms for before and after the Day of the Brood ( maybe all broods use the same forms before they endure the Day of the Brood).

This is gonna be fun! [}:D]

Spoiler: