Post by DesEsseintes »

Awesome milestone, Khemehekis!! [:D] [:O] [:D]

Many Happy Returns!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by Khemehekis »

Thanks for the congratulations, everyone!
clawgrip wrote:You also coined the word "boarf", which is something special.
Hmmm . . . would this refer to the act of vomiting up garbage posts onto an Internet forum?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: congratulations, Khemehekis, let me call you a saint of conlangers.
I like the idea of being a saint. Right up there with Hildegarde of Bingen! (Of course, her Lingua Ignota may not have been a true conlang; Aszev once suggested it may be a relex.)
I hope I can be more conscientious like you and be as continuously industrious in expanding the vocabulary of existing conlangs as you. :)
I'll take this as a compliment! Just keep at it.

What is the significance of 50,000, you ask? Well, it's a twentieth of a million words, a nice round number that takes a lot of work to reach. But also, according to the site http://kumfut-toneys-wong.yolasite.com/:
Any language which includes less than 50,000 words for a vocabulary, cannot be qualified as an accurate language. Languages need more than this to reflect accuracy in today’s complicated world which needs lots of flexible expressions ! ! Current IALs’ do not meet this qualification and therefore cannot do the job as any truly useful global-language and can be useful only as personal languages of sorts. When it reaches 80,000 figure however, it can make more than a comforting accurate global language.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lao Kou wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:Calls for a celebration. Lao Kou, would you like some zhinwa?
I should be delighted! Chin-chin! Congrats. [:D]
Glo:gg glo:gg glo:gg! Yay!
(Though one hopes this isn't one of those local "delicacies" like bat nasal linings fermented in snake bile, in which case I'll stop at one.)
[/quote][/quote]

This may refresh your memory:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4616&p=185300&hilit=zhinwa#p185300
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Keenir wrote:
Many congratulations and *offers you cake*
Lao Kou wrote:Cake?!

Image [B)]
Yay! Cake!

Perhaps a tunnel cake (pastry resembling a half-cylinder filled with cream), or a uesheuvi (Povoian coconut milk cake), or a zhadati (sweet cake of wheat and shredded yula)?
♂♥♂♀

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Khemehekis wrote:This may refresh your memory:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4616&p=185300&hilit=zhinwa#p185300
Cilantro booze. Okay, I'll raise two to you.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ari!
Yay!
♂♥♂♀

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Lexicon is now 1230 in Vrkhazhian
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Post when you reach 1,234.
♂♥♂♀

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

My lexicon count is now 1288.
544 verb roots and 744 non-verb dictionary entries (nouns, adjectives, adpositions, etc.)
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

You skipped the 1,234 milestone!

4-3-2-1,
Through the barrel of a gun . . .
♂♥♂♀

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Khemehekis wrote:4-3-2-1,
Earth below us
drifting falling
floating weightless
calling calling home...
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lao Kou wrote:
Khemehekis wrote:4-3-2-1,
Earth below us
drifting falling
floating weightless
calling calling home...
Major Tom.

Seriously, I sing the Guster line every time I see the clock say 12:34. It's become a compulsion . . .
♂♥♂♀

shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

Khemehekis wrote: I wonder how Silarg is doing these days. Silarg is a language for the gay community that was approaching its ten thousandth word as of the time I last saw its creator active online. The conlang most likely to be learned by Lady Gaga!
According to someone on QueerConlangers, Silarg is basically a relexification of French. As someone with no experience with either language, I can not know.

Though I do find it odd that there are not more languages like Silarg and Láadan. Maybe glossopoeia is considered too heteronormative or phallocentric for queer theorists.
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shanoxilt wrote: According to someone on QueerConlangers, Silarg is basically a relexification of French. As someone with no experience with either language, I can not know.

Though I do find it odd that there are not more languages like Silarg and Láadan. Maybe glossopoeia is considered too heteronormative or phallocentric for queer theorists.
Wow! I never knew Silarg was a relex of French.

Conlanging does have a male bias, but there are a disproportionately high proportion of LGBT conlangers (I myself am bisexual). See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451
♂♥♂♀

shanoxilt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by shanoxilt »

Khemehekis wrote: Conlanging does have a male bias, but there are a disproportionately high proportion of LGBT conlangers (I myself am bisexual). See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1451
My anecdotal experience inclines me to believe it. It also seems that asexuals are slowly becoming more visible in glossopoeic circles.

Do you have any hypotheses as to why queerfolk are so attracted to this hobby?
Click here to join the Common Honey server. Or click here for a general glossopoeia server.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shanoxilt wrote:It also seems that asexuals are slowly becoming more visible in glossopoeic circles.
I can think of at least one asexual conlanger . . . Shm Jay, from the ZBB. I couldn't name too many, though.
shanoxilt wrote: Do you have any hypotheses as to why queerfolk are so attracted to this hobby?
I'd say it goes along with the general neurodivergent, exonorm, Neanderthal-gene (according to the Ekblad theory, that is) nature of conlangers. A lot of Aspies, a lot of bipolar people, a lot of synaesthetes (including yours truly!) . . . this could also explain why conlangers are such a male bunch, because females are less likely than males to have physical or mental disorders. Aszev said in the other thread, though, that conlangery seems to be about 90% male to 10% female, so the neurodivergence factor alone wouldn't explain the extreme gender imbalance.
♂♥♂♀

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Khemehekis wrote:
shanoxilt wrote:It also seems that asexuals are slowly becoming more visible in glossopoeic circles.
I can think of at least one asexual conlanger . . . Shm Jay, from the ZBB. I couldn't name too many, though.
shanoxilt wrote: Do you have any hypotheses as to why queerfolk are so attracted to this hobby?
I'd say it goes along with the general neurodivergent, exonorm, Neanderthal-gene (according to the Ekblad theory, that is) nature of conlangers. A lot of Aspies, a lot of bipolar people, a lot of synaesthetes (including yours truly!) . . . this could also explain why conlangers are such a male bunch, because females are less likely than males to have physical or mental disorders. Aszev said in the other thread, though, that conlangery seems to be about 90% male to 10% female, so the neurodivergence factor alone wouldn't explain the extreme gender imbalance.
Simpler explanation: Only "rich" people have time to conlang! Or at least post about it on the internet. And only rich people unfortunately have the social class to reveal their sexuality openly, and only rich people have the money to get diagnosed with mental disability. Only the rich upperclass have the want to enter linguistics. And unfortunately, that's the way it will stay. (Not that it's bad to be rich, but let's be brutally honest: have you seen a Native American internet conlanger? One from Nigeria? One from [Insert Impoverished Group Here]?)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

qwed117 wrote: Simpler explanation: Only "rich" people have time to conlang! Or at least post about it on the internet. And only rich people unfortunately have the social class to reveal their sexuality openly, and only rich people have the money to get diagnosed with mental disability. Only the rich upperclass have the want to enter linguistics. And unfortunately, that's the way it will stay. (Not that it's bad to be rich, but let's be brutally honest: have you seen a Native American internet conlanger? One from Nigeria? One from [Insert Impoverished Group Here]?)
Not a bad explanation, but that still doesn't explain why conlanging is so overwhelmingly male a hobby.
♂♥♂♀

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Khemehekis wrote:
qwed117 wrote: Simpler explanation: Only "rich" people have time to conlang! Or at least post about it on the internet. And only rich people unfortunately have the social class to reveal their sexuality openly, and only rich people have the money to get diagnosed with mental disability. Only the rich upperclass have the want to enter linguistics. And unfortunately, that's the way it will stay. (Not that it's bad to be rich, but let's be brutally honest: have you seen a Native American internet conlanger? One from Nigeria? One from [Insert Impoverished Group Here]?)
Not a bad explanation, but that still doesn't explain why conlanging is so overwhelmingly male a hobby.
Because of sexist norms that prevent women from being introduced into conlanging? I feel that males are forced towards linguistics more, while women are forced to achieve something real (aka, sciences and mathematics) or pushed to the other extreme (social work and teaching)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad