Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lexicon milestones

Post by DesEsseintes »

Sangfroidish wrote:For the first time in several iterations, Vorynthel finally has over a thousand words! 1007, in fact!
Congratulations!! [:D]

After reading your post, I counted and found 493 words in the Enello lexicon, so I forced myself to coin seven new words without recourse to the lexicon building threads on here, and a few minutes ago I entered the 500th word, namely pobottso fat, obese. Yay!
Sangfroidish
greek
greek

Post by Sangfroidish »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Sangfroidish wrote:For the first time in several iterations, Vorynthel finally has over a thousand words! 1007, in fact!

After reading your post, I counted and found 493 words in the Enello lexicon, so I forced myself to coin seven new words without recourse to the lexicon building threads on here, and a few minutes ago I entered the 500th word, namely pobottso fat, obese. Yay!
I wouldn't be surprised if about 80% of Vorynthel's words originated from those threads. :v

Congrats yourself!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DesEsseintes wrote:

Congratulations on both of your milestones!

Pobottso . . . looks like "potbelly" plus "bloat" plus "fatso".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lonmai Luna/Liunan now has more than 2300 words, including functional words, compounds and loans.

Nevotak now has more than 1000 words.
Edit: some entries in the Nevotak word list doesn't have something, and that inflected the actual number of lexeme
These numbers will change, as I may add or delete some words in the future.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

The Aboa Lexicon has reached a hundred words! [:D] The 100th word is nyatra - weeping.

Unlike Enello, where I never felt the words actually meant what they were supposed to mean, I find many of my Aboa words very apt. Perhaps it's the Europeany consonant clusters. [:$]

Some of my favourites are vıvtís - beautiful, yoyònsda - language and skyórık - storm.

I think Aboa is four days' old today. [:)]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

DesEsseintes wrote:The Aboa Lexicon has reached a hundred words! [:D] The 100th word is nyatra - weeping.
So how in Aboa does one say "puts on Sinyatra and starts to cry"?
Incorruptus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Incorruptus »

I'm likely up to 50. My favorite so far (and a stone of some sort) is ĄPČĄYĘP [am.'tʃan.dʒem]: the shoreline. It's a milestone as it is the only word, yet, where all vowels are nasal vowels.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Project Warthog (formelly know as Sunday) has about 30 words.

Do you want to see the whole wordlist?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I have approximately 30 words and they're mostly monosyllable biliterals.
I also have around 20-30 verb roots and I have no idea what to do with them...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Incorruptus
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Incorruptus »

Ahzoh wrote:I have approximately 30 words and they're mostly monosyllable biliterals.
I also have around 20-30 verb roots and I have no idea what to do with them...
For me, it's forging words (as many as you want/can), while remembering you will be making sentences, at some point. The words will have to start making sense together. (A word for 'swim' or 'ignite' before 'water' or 'fire' would be odd, for example.) My sentences are minimal, but this is possible, in lieu of it still being early: Ųte plu ąpčąyęp, the man runs (to) the shoreline/"beach".
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Xing wrote:Project Warthog (formelly know as Sunday) has about 30 words.

Do you want to see the whole wordlist?
*I* do!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote:
Xing wrote:Project Warthog (formelly know as Sunday) has about 30 words. Do you want to see the whole wordlist?
*I* do!
[+1]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Just added the 200th word to the Aboa lexicon. The word is:

savkrím n fighter, gladiator
sàvak vti to fight + rım suffix (profession)
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Man, how do you guys keep track of your lexicons? I tried counting up my Sunbyaku words for this thread and just said "fuck this" when I got to page 4 of like 15, all filled with words. Got to 204 and I believe at this rate I have nearly around 400.

The 200th, for the record, was:

kyo n fun, enjoyment, entertainment, from kyoku v to enjoy, have fun

Make sure not to confuse with kyō n self-immolation, from kyōku v to be on fire, burn
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Sangfroidish
greek
greek

Post by Sangfroidish »

Chagen wrote:Man, how do you guys keep track of your lexicons? I tried counting up my Sunbyaku words for this thread and just said "fuck this" when I got to page 4 of like 15, all filled with words. Got to 204 and I believe at this rate I have nearly around 400.
Every entry in my lexicon document has a · in it, so I just run a search for "·" and then do a word count whenever I want to know how many words I have. [:D]

1541 now, incidentally.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Sangfroidish wrote:
Chagen wrote:Man, how do you guys keep track of your lexicons? I tried counting up my Sunbyaku words for this thread and just said "fuck this" when I got to page 4 of like 15, all filled with words. Got to 204 and I believe at this rate I have nearly around 400.
Every entry in my lexicon document has a · in it, so I just run a search for "·" and then do a word count whenever I want to know how many words I have. [:D]

1541 now, incidentally.
Congratulations! I've yet to reach a thousand words in any one lang. I haven't checked in a while, but I think Enello might be in the upper 800s by now. But Enello is receding into the past, TLFKAT is the future...
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

My Rireinutire lexicon lives in an Excel spreadsheet. One of the sheets has one line per lexeme, so I know immediately how many lexemes I have. (3305 at the moment, as it happens.)

#3305 was heyañara (adj.) afraid
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

The Géarthnuns-English lexicon has just reached 10,000 entries this evening. Just got off the batphone with the Academia Gearthnuntiæ, who/which seemed begrudgingly appeased for the nonce. I would be even happier if this milestone had been reached a little earlier this year. 7,000 was achieved in March of last year, and 3,000 entries per year, loosey-goosey, seems a decent pace for vocabulary development generated the old-fashioned way (though at that rate, by the time I reach π x 104, the number of the conlanging beast, I will be quite well "of a certain age"), but meaningful dates as a quasi-"deadline" for reaching this lean-to on the mountain seemed to come and go. But hey, we'll take it! Will unpack my sleeping bag and spend the night here before heading up the next scarp. May build a campfire and make me some s'mores. [:P]

Thanks to all who've contributed to the vocab-building threads and thereby assisted and participated in the progress. [<3]

Next stop: 14,000! * (and you should know why [}:D] )

*Oddly, the <३> of ओम् looks a lot like Géarthnuns' <m> [O.O] [:O]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Congratulations, Lao Kou!!! [:D]

That's a great milestone. [B)]

...and I'm going to be conceited and claim a fractional part - albeit very small - in your accomplishment. [:P]
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

DesEsseintes wrote:...and I'm going to be conceited and claim a fractional part in your accomplishment. [:P]
As well you should. Now, get back over there and give the man a feed! [>:)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名