The First CBB Inverse Relay

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
loglorn
mayan
mayan

The First CBB Inverse Relay

Post by loglorn »

Separate thread for the Inverse Relay we've been talking about in the Conlang Relay VI thread.

In an inverse relay, instead of writing in your language and having someone translate out of your language into theirs, you share your documentation, someone writes in your language and sends you, who in turn writes in the next person's language.

(If there are doubts someone's ought to explain it better later)

The usual Relay rules also apply:
  1. Four days limit. You can take more but please don't exaggerate, or you will be skipped
  2. If you want to participate, post below the name of the language. If you haven't decided yet please mind that it'll be used before it's actually your turn.
  3. Send me a copy of the torch, with the English translation, and one without to the next person
I'll list the participants below:
  • loglorn (Retla)
  • DesEsseintes (Nınuıntı)
  • shimobaatar (Project Steppe)
  • Sḿtuval (Ysjtocka)
  • elemtilas (Kerno)
  • kanejam (Qmachah)
  • Lao Kou (Géarthnuns)
Last edited by loglorn on 14 Sep 2015 15:12, edited 8 times in total.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Re: The First CBB Inverse Relay

Post by Sḿtuval »

loglorn wrote:Am i safe to assume that shimobaatar, Sḿtuval and DesEsseintes are in?
I don't know about them, but I'm in. [:D]

Can't decide whether to use new romlang or the revived 2.0 version of an older conlang...
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I'm in, with Nınuıntı, probably. I'm unlikely to have any other language ready before it's my turn (or that of the person before me), but if I do, I'll notify you.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

I think I'll give this a try. I like Romance conlangs too so will torture some poor soul with a nice easy romlang!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Could I take a shot at participating in this with Project Steppe?
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

I've never done one of these before and am intrigued. But unless the text is quite short (i.e. 1~3 sentences short), 48 hours doesn't seem like a whole lot of time. After all, the reason Lambuzhao is able to do what he does is because he creates his own original sentences in a target conlang based on what he can find -- he has not as yet, to my knowledge, been charged with translating the first paragraph of the Gettysburg Address into, say, Tlapthuv. That'd be a bit of a slog.

Based on what I found here, participants were given a week, which allows for more time for questions like "Hey, Kou, how does Géarthnuns handle relative clauses?" or "Hey, what's the Géarthnuns word for 'aluminum'?" as well as for answers which may require a crash course or word coinages as needed. The page I linked to also suggests using the lead time to practice the target lang by, for example, creating sentences, and staying in contact with one's successor and available to one's predecessor. So maybe more time or less text? :wat: at least for this first run since many of us seem to be first timers at this, and that would give us a chance to get settled into the unfamiliar format.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

I'm in cautiously with Qmachah - cautiously in that its vocab will need a big boost before it's usable.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

What kind of vocab does your language need for this?
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

The one week limit sounds quite reasonable. I'll provide the text.

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

In with Géarthnuns, please (unavailable from August 8-15; looks like Relay VII will fall to me before the 8th, so perhaps after the 15th?).
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

loglorn wrote:The one week limit sounds quite reasonable. I'll provide the text.
If we have a one week limit, and we have 7 participants so far (if I counted correctly), the inverse relay could already last up to 7 weeks. You're running it, so it's your choice in the end, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to have a shorter text and a shorter time limit, or is that just from my perspective?
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

I em being mostly democratic and i can see 7 weeks being a hell lot of time. But, erm, just about how small would it need to be?
Spoiler:
Edit: Seems like this was my 1000th post. Yay! [:D]
Last edited by loglorn on 30 Jul 2015 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Ok I've decided to use Ysjtocka 2.0, but leave the "2.0" part out in the OP.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

loglorn wrote:I em being mostly democratic and i can see 7 weeks being a hell lot of time. But, erm, just about how small would it need to be?
Well, I don't know about "needs", but I personally like the sound of Lao Kou's suggestion:
Lao Kou wrote:But unless the text is quite short (i.e. 1~3 sentences short), 48 hours doesn't seem like a whole lot of time.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

shimobaatar wrote:
loglorn wrote:The one week limit sounds quite reasonable. I'll provide the text.
If we have a one week limit, and we have 7 participants so far (if I counted correctly), the inverse relay could already last up to 7 weeks. You're running it, so it's your choice in the end, but wouldn't it be more reasonable to have a shorter text and a shorter time limit, or is that just from my perspective?
That short a time? Wow. I'm more used to Relays that last months. And I think one or two that, like the Korean War, have never officially concluded... after years!

I have the distinct feeling that, even with seven torches to run, this relay can easily last two to three months or more!

I'm all for a shorter text; but am also happy with the week long time limit!
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

elemtilas wrote:That short a time? Wow. I'm more used to Relays that last months. And I think one or two that, like the Korean War, have never officially concluded... after years!

I have the distinct feeling that, even with seven torches to run, this relay can easily last two to three months or more!

[+1] Yeah I don't mind the wait, but a shorter text (or at least simple one) would be better for those who make a lot of somewhat developed langs (like me [:$] ) instead of focusing on one lang. None of mine have more than a thousand words.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Going for democracy here. What will be the length of the text/turns?

a. Short text / 48h turn
b. Longer text / 1 week turn

New people will be accepted until August 1st, but it sounds like a good idea to hear out which languages would you like to write in already.

For the record, i'd like to write in Nınuıntı. I want a deeper feel at how polysynthesis works
Spoiler:
Sḿtuval wrote:
elemtilas wrote:That short a time? Wow. I'm more used to Relays that last months. And I think one or two that, like the Korean War, have never officially concluded... after years!

[+1] Yeah I don't mind the wait, but a shorter text (or at least simple one) would be better for those who make a lot of somewhat developed langs (like me [:$] ) instead of focusing on one lang. None of mine have more than a thousand words.
Do you think any of mine have more than a 1000 words? I participated the last relay with less than 250 in PG. And coined some 20 words for it. Quite fun.

kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

How about compromise? 48 hours seems a bit short but on the other hand there's no need to write up a grammar, so how about 4 days? We can probably still go for a longer text, as I often find the relay texts to be a bit short.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

elemtilas wrote: That short a time? Wow. I'm more used to Relays that last months. And I think one or two that, like the Korean War, have never officially concluded... after years!

Well, I know that at least a few of us aren't used to this kind of relay (inverse) at all, which is where it seems to me the idea of pretty short texts but the same time limits as the regular relays came from.

Personally, I would very much like for this to be finished before the end of August, but that's just me, and by no means do we have to do it that way.
kanejam wrote:How about compromise? 48 hours seems a bit short but on the other hand there's no need to write up a grammar, so how about 4 days? We can probably still go for a longer text, as I often find the relay texts to be a bit short.
Compromise sounds good to me. My vote would still be for about three sentences that aren't too long or purposefully complex so those of us who are new at this can test the waters, so to speak. I'd be fine with a limit of four days.
loglorn wrote:
Sḿtuval wrote: [+1] Yeah I don't mind the wait, but a shorter text (or at least simple one) would be better for those who make a lot of somewhat developed langs (like me [:$] ) instead of focusing on one lang. None of mine have more than a thousand words.
Do you think any of mine have more than a 1000 words? I participated the last relay with less than 250 in PG. And coined some 20 words for it. Quite fun.
I've only participated in one relay so far (the last regular one), but that helped me come up with more of the language I was using than I already had before the relay.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:
loglorn wrote:
Sḿtuval wrote: [+1] Yeah I don't mind the wait, but a shorter text (or at least simple one) would be better for those who make a lot of somewhat developed langs (like me [:$] ) instead of focusing on one lang. None of mine have more than a thousand words.
I've only participated in one relay so far (the last regular one), but that helped me come up with more of the language I was using than I already had before the relay.
But this time, you can't coin words due to the restrictions.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad