Dŕun (Drunworld)

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Dŕun (Drunworld)

Post by druneragarsh »

Backstory: I have conlanged for some time, but took a break during the final years of high school. Dŕun started as a nice and surprisingly complete concept from my pre-break time, so I decided to resurrect it. Concrit and suggestions very much welcome.

Phonology:
Regular consonants:
/m̥ mʲ m/ /n̥ nʲ n/ /ŋ̊ ŋʲ ŋ/
/p pʲ b/ /t tʲ d/ /k kʲ g/
/f fʲ v/ /s sʲ ʃ/ /x xʲ ɣ/
/l̥ lʲ l/

Tonal consonants:
/ʙ r ʀ/
Tones: rising ´, falling `, and steady ¯

Vowels:
/i e æ u o ɑ/

/f fʲ v/ allophonically realized as bilabial [ɸ ɸʲ β] when preceded or followed by a bilabial trill /ʙ/

Syllable structure:
(C)TV(C)
(C)VT(C)
Most syllables include both the initial and final C. Near-exclusively monosyllabic roots.
EDIT: some grammatic particles are CV or CVC, with no trill.

Grammar:
Ergative-Absolutive (though the first time round, I seem to have forgotten this halfway through)
SVO
Cases: (with dr̄un, ‘ten’)
Ergative: dr̄una
Absolutive: dr̄un
Genetive: dr̄unin
Vocative: dr̄une
No distinction between singular and plural for non-pronouns. If quantity is important, it is stated eg:
ŕaa ne gaŕš bʀ̄em kʲʙ̀̀an̥
I-ERG past read two book
‘I read two books’

Adjectives agree with nouns, and the copula (‘to be’) can be dropped:
xʀ́ætʲa gir̄b-kʙ̀̀ækʲa l̥uʙ́v
new-ERG fly-person-ERG good.ABS
‘The new pilot is good’

Pronouns:
These have separate singular and plural forms. Third person employs switch reference. Polite forms are used mostly in high-register speech.

Code: Select all

| sing | plu | polite
1p | ŕa   | r̀̀æ  | (r̄i)
2p | ʙ́o   | ʙ̀̀e  | ʙ̄o
3p | ʀ́u   | ʀ̀̀i  | ʀ̄o
   | ʀ́a   | ʀ̀̀æ  | ʀ̄æ
(Warrning: I'll gloss the lower row of 3p pronouns as 4p.)
There is no proper passive voice; however, there is an equivalent of sorts to the english ‘one’: ur̄.

Counting:
35 = five and three tens, (kʀ̀̀ut ŋo xoŕ dr̄un)

Questions:
Yes-no questions are formed by appending ɣu to the end:
ʙ́oa xʀ́ætʲ ɣu?
thou-ERG new.ABS query
Are you new?

Sample usage:
ʀ́́ua ar̄ɣ ʀ́́a ŋo ŕaa šog.
3ps.erg see 4ps.abs and 1ps.erg also
S/he sees him/her and I do, too.

ʀ́ua kʲi ar̄ɣ ʀ́a ŋo ŕa ɣu?
3ps.erg future.tense see 4ps.abs and 1ps.abs question
Will s/he see him/her and me?

dŕune, ŕa gaŕš		 O Drun, I read
ʙ̄oa ʙ̄an kaʙ̄š		   You are a corpse
ge ʙ̄oin kʙ̄otʲ		  But Your glory
læ gʀ̀̀ut mʲaʀ̀n ʀ̀otʲ	Shall return some day

Gloss:
dŕune, ŕa gaŕš
Dŕun-VOC I.ERG read
ʙ̄oa ʙ̄an kaʙ̄š
you.polite-ERG emphasis corpse/dead.ABS
*ge ʙ̄oin kʙ̄otʲ
but you.polilte-GEN glory/shine
læ gʀ̀̀ut mʲaʀ̀n ʀ̀otʲ
far.future return some/one/a day.ABS
The poet has employed artistic licence: ge ʙ̄oin kʙ̄otʲa (but you.polite-GEN glory-ERG) has been reduced to the ungrammatical ge ʙ̄oin kʙ̄otʲ to achieve a rhyme.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything I've missed?
A lot of the more complex syntax is still undecided. It'll be an isolating lang, and the phonology and syllable structure will remain, but nothing else is really set in stone. So: tones on consonants, feasible ɣu?
Last edited by druneragarsh on 07 Sep 2015 19:18, edited 2 times in total.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: Dŕun

Post by shimobaatar »

druneragarsh wrote:Backstory: I have conlanged for some time, but took a break during the final years of high school. Dŕun started as a nice and surprisingly complete concept from my pre-break time, so I decided to resurrect it. Concrit and suggestions very much welcome.
druneragarsh wrote:Thoughts? Suggestions? Anything I've missed?
A lot of the more complex syntax is still undecided. It'll be an isolating lang, and the phonology and syllable structure will remain, but nothing else is really set in stone.
I really like what you've shown us of the language so far, personally, and I hope we get to see even more of it in the future. [:D] I like the symmetry of your consonants, but I also like how that's thrown off a bit, for lack of a better term, by having /ʃ/ where one would "expect" /z/ based on the rest of the inventory.

Your presentation, in my opinion, is very straightforward and accessible, so to speak, so I'm afraid I might not have a lot of specific questions/comments/concerns, but I'll try my best.
druneragarsh wrote:Ergative-Absolutive (though the first time round, I seem to have forgotten this halfway through)
What do you mean by this, if you don't mind my asking?
druneragarsh wrote:These have separate singular and plural forms. Third person employs switch reference. Polite forms are used mostly in high-register speech.
Cool! I'm particularly fond of the inclusion of switch-reference. If you wouldn't mind, could you perhaps elaborate upon the usages of polite forms and the existence of multiple registers of speech? Do polite pronouns not distinguish number, or am I misinterpreting the code chart/table? Is "r̄i" in parentheses because it would be considered rude to refer to yourself in a "polite" way? Also, what is the intended setting, so to speak, for this language?
druneragarsh wrote:Yes-no questions are formed by appending ɣu to the end:

My apologies if I've accidentally overlooked the explanation for this, but how would you form other kinds of questions?
druneragarsh wrote:The poet has employed artistic licence: ge ʙ̄oin kʙ̄otʲa (but you.polite-GEN glory-ERG) has been reduced to the ungrammatical ge ʙ̄oin kʙ̄otʲ to achieve a rhyme.
[+1] I love it! Little details like this, in my opinion, can add such depth to a language, so to speak.
druneragarsh wrote:So: tones on consonants, feasible ɣu?
Tone on syllabic consonants? Absolutely. I'm almost certain there are some Sinitic and Volta–Niger languages that have syllabic nasals capable of carrying tones like more typical vowels/syllable nuclei, but at the moment I'm blanking on specific languages to use as examples. Oh, and I should note that I don't intend to imply that those are the only two families in the world that have syllabic consonants and tone (and syllabic consonants carrying tone, to be more specific); they're just the two that I could think of at the moment.

However, looking at your phonology section, I assume you don't mean on syllabic consonants. Technically speaking, no, I don't think non-syllabic consonants can carry tone. However, if you want to mark tone orthographically on the trills that have to accompany the vocalic nucleus of every syllable, that should be fine. Although, looking at some of your words, there appear to be syllables without trills. Am I misinterpreting your phonotactic notation? What would be the difference, in this language, between a steady-toned syllable and a toneless syllable? But anyway, I think you could have "tonal" non-syllabic consonants more than just orthographically, perhaps. There are some Southern Bantu languages, I believe, that have two sets of consonants, in some cases, where one is transcribed as breathy-voiced, and the other is not. They're pronounced the same, technically, but the "breathy-voiced" set affects the tone of adjacent vowels. I'm probably oversimplifying things and getting parts of it a bit wrong, but the point is that, while non-syllabic consonants technically can't carry tone themselves, I would say you could consider them "tonal" if they were to have an affect on the tones of vowels, which they feasibly could. So you could have, perhaps, /ʙ́ ŕ ʀ́/, /ʙ̀ r̀ ʀ̀/, and /ʙ̄ r̄ ʀ̄/. All three sets would be pronounced the same, technically, but they would influence the tones of the syllables they're part of in different ways, making them distinct from one another, and since the changes in tone could be said to be tied more directly to the consonants than to the vowels, you could describe them as "tonal consonants".

Wow, I really rambled on there, and I'm sure those paragraphs are full of redundancies. My sincerest apologies, as it's after 2 in the morning in my time zone.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

shimobaatar wrote:I really like what you've shown us of the language so far, personally, and I hope we get to see even more of it in the future. [:D] I like the symmetry of your consonants, but I also like how that's thrown off a bit, for lack of a better term, by having /ʃ/ where one would "expect" /z/ based on the rest of the inventory.

Your presentation, in my opinion, is very straightforward and accessible, so to speak, so I'm afraid I might not have a lot of specific questions/comments/concerns, but I'll try my best.
Yeah, I like the /ʃ/, too :3
shimobaatar wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:Ergative-Absolutive (though the first time round, I seem to have forgotten this halfway through)
What do you mean by this, if you don't mind my asking?
I seem to have forgotten the Erg-Abs alignment and half my examples were Nom-Acc. I have corrected this, but I might've missed some.
shimobaatar wrote:Cool! I'm particularly fond of the inclusion of switch-reference. If you wouldn't mind, could you perhaps elaborate upon the usages of polite forms and the existence of multiple registers of speech? Do polite pronouns not distinguish number, or am I misinterpreting the code chart/table? Is "r̄i" in parentheses because it would be considered rude to refer to yourself in a "polite" way? Also, what is the intended setting, so to speak, for this language?
Polite forms do not distinguish number, corrrect. The 2p polite form is the most commonly used form; it's used in customer service and when talking to dignitaries, sometimes to bosses etc, depending on company culture. "r̄i" is only used in the plural, when praising one's in-group, in high registers (eg ministers may speak of their group with r̄i if they're particularly proud of their cooperation) as well as in some forms of sarcasm. Using r̄i in place of the 1p singular is considered highly rude.

Intended setting: Drunworld, a far-future colony that was settled from Earth and then lost, and is now at approximately 1850s to 1950s level in technology and medicine, some being further "ahead" of others. Dŕun is the lingua franca, spoken by the Dŕunish ethnic majority. The planet is earthlike, though the atmosphere is only around 60% nitrogen, with 20% oxygen and 20% argon plus trace gases. The gravity is slightly smaller.
shimobaatar wrote:My apologies if I've accidentally overlooked the explanation for this, but how would you form other kinds of questions?
I have some question-words (tŕu ‘which’, tŕug ‘what’ etc), but I'm still debating where to put them. At the end, like ɣu? At the start? Replacing the word they're asking after? (‘The door was what.color?‘) I feel that they're also a bit English-y at the moment. The current list:

adj    | which | tŕu
thing  | what  | tŕug
reason | why   | tŕum
way    | how   | tŕun̥
time   | when  | tŕuŋʲ	(tŕuŋ ‘time’)
place  | where | tŕux
shimobaatar wrote:Tone on syllabic consonants? Absolutely. I'm almost certain there are some Sinitic and Volta–Niger languages that have syllabic nasals capable of carrying tones like more typical vowels/syllable nuclei, but at the moment I'm blanking on specific languages to use as examples. Oh, and I should note that I don't intend to imply that those are the only two families in the world that have syllabic consonants and tone (and syllabic consonants carrying tone, to be more specific); they're just the two that I could think of at the moment.

However, looking at your phonology section, I assume you don't mean on syllabic consonants. Technically speaking, no, I don't think non-syllabic consonants can carry tone. However, if you want to mark tone orthographically on the trills that have to accompany the vocalic nucleus of every syllable, that should be fine. Although, looking at some of your words, there appear to be syllables without trills. Am I misinterpreting your phonotactic notation? What would be the difference, in this language, between a steady-toned syllable and a toneless syllable? But anyway, I think you could have "tonal" non-syllabic consonants more than just orthographically, perhaps. There are some Southern Bantu languages, I believe, that have two sets of consonants, in some cases, where one is transcribed as breathy-voiced, and the other is not. They're pronounced the same, technically, but the "breathy-voiced" set affects the tone of adjacent vowels. I'm probably oversimplifying things and getting parts of it a bit wrong, but the point is that, while non-syllabic consonants technically can't carry tone themselves, I would say you could consider them "tonal" if they were to have an affect on the tones of vowels, which they feasibly could. So you could have, perhaps, /ʙ́ ŕ ʀ́/, /ʙ̀ r̀ ʀ̀/, and /ʙ̄ r̄ ʀ̄/. All three sets would be pronounced the same, technically, but they would influence the tones of the syllables they're part of in different ways, making them distinct from one another, and since the changes in tone could be said to be tied more directly to the consonants than to the vowels, you could describe them as "tonal consonants".

Wow, I really rambled on there, and I'm sure those paragraphs are full of redundancies. My sincerest apologies, as it's after 2 in the morning in my time zone.
Oh crap, I forgot to say that some grammatic particles (tense-particles, mood-particles, some prepositions etc) are CV (or CVC for some prepositions). Going to edit that now!

No, the locals don't think that the vowels have tone. I'm considering having a two-tone system (high low) where the tones ‘bled over’ onto the trills, so that two tones of the same height would make a steady tone, and different-height tones would create the contour tones, and then the tones would be reanalyzed as being part of the trills, and the words (which would have different tone contours depending on the surrounding words) had their tones standardized. CV syllables would then drop their tone, and thus modern Dŕun was born.

Having the vowels have tones that are "caused" by the consonants sounds interesting, though that's probably going to just be ŕa -> rá, which looks a bit boring :P. (Especially considering that part of Dŕun's charm is that all the non-natives are dreadful at pronouncing all the stuff.)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

More stuff!
Questions:

adj    | which | tŕu
thing  | what  | tŕug
reason | why   | tŕum
way    | how   | tŕuŋ̊
time   | when  | tŕunʲ
place  | where | tŕux
The question-word goes in the place of what it is replacing. English values approximate.
Example:
ɣær̀̀la læn̥ kʲiʀ̄fʲ
joy-ERG from/of kʲiʀ̄fʲ
Ɣær̀̀l is from Kʲiʀ̄fʲ

ɣær̀̀la læn̥ tŕux?
joy-ERG from/of where
Where's Ɣær̀̀l from?

Verb tense and mood:
Formed with a CV particle in front of the verb.

šu  | remote past
ne  | near past
kʲi | near future
læ  | far future
The precise point at which something is near vs far in time depends on the speaker's age and dialect. While young children view everything as either "now" or "far, far away", in adults, the distinction is typically made around a half year to a year.
ŕa ne gaŕš
I.ABS past read
I read

The perfective and imperfective particles can be and are often left out if it is either obvious or doesn't matter

ŋʲe | perfective
mʲa | imperfective
xa  | conditional
nu  | optative
mu  | potential
le  | imperative
vi  | habitual
do  | negative
Example usage:
le uʙ̄sʲ šem xʲeŕ!
IMPERAT laugh at/to/in.face.of desert!
literally: Laugh at the desert!
used as a local "May you succeed", akin to "break a leg".

ŕa xa kʲi gaŕš, ge ŕaa le fŕum ŕain l̥ʀ́om
I COND FUT read, but I-ERG IMPERAT meet I-GEN mother's.older.sister's.daughter(s)
I would to read (tomorrow/later today) but I have to meet my cousin(s)

ŕaa do nu fŕum ŕain l̥ʀ́om
I-ERG neg OPT meet I-GEN mother's.older.sister's.daughter(s)
I don't wish to meet my cousin(s)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

This language seems nice so far, except tone does not work in a way where it only appears on non-syllabic trills. Contrasting /ʀ/ and /r/ (when /ʀ/ patterns as a rhotic) is also pretty weird, but I think some forms of Portugese might do that, so it's probably not bad. I like the switch-reference a lot though. My Hoskh language also has switch-reference, but it's definitely not analytic. Switch-reference appears in hundreds of unrelated natlangs and pretty much no conlangs, so it's always nice to see it in conlangs because it's just a nice system (there would be nothing ambiguous about "Bob didn't understand why John was angry when he said he loves his wife" in a language with switch-reference markers everywhere where they appear in natlangs, and in fact, in many if not most switch-reference languages you can also just leave out pronouns or verb agreement if the subject is the same) and can fit into almost any type of conlang, unlike the proximate-obviate thing that everyone goes for (nothing wrong with proximate-obviate though, only that it seems to only pop up in a quite small amount of typologically-similar languages yet seems to be the go-to for keeping discourse straight in conlangs as opposed to the numerous other systems including switch-reference).
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

All right, in name of reality, all tones apply to the vowel. Thus Dŕun becomes Drún and so on and so forth. The locals will still write the tones on the trills for, uh, Reasons. The first linguist-like people analyzed the tones as being caused by the consonants?

Tones:
Drún has four tones: rising í, falling ì, steady ī, and null i. Null tone exists in "deficient" CV (rarely CVC) syllables, and is not traditionally considered a tone. They are generally either pronounced with the same level of voice as the preceding syllable's end, but occasionally take on a contour (eg rising, if preceded and followed by falling tones).
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

druneragarsh wrote:All right, in name of reality, all tones apply to the vowel. Thus Dŕun becomes Drún and so on and so forth. The locals will still write the tones on the trills for, uh, Reasons. The first linguist-like people analyzed the tones as being caused by the consonants?

Tones:
Drún has four tones: rising í, falling ì, steady ī, and null i. Null tone exists in "deficient" CV (rarely CVC) syllables, and is not traditionally considered a tone. They are generally either pronounced with the same level of voice as the preceding syllable's end, but occasionally take on a contour (eg rising, if preceded and followed by falling tones).
You can still have tones on trills if they're syllabic. Languages with both tone and syllabic consonants seem to always have tone on syllabic consonants.

Where does null tone come from? Is it like a pitch-accent system where only some syllables get lexical tone?
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:All right, in name of reality, all tones apply to the vowel. Thus Dŕun becomes Drún and so on and so forth. The locals will still write the tones on the trills for, uh, Reasons. The first linguist-like people analyzed the tones as being caused by the consonants?

Tones:
You can still have tones on trills if they're syllabic. Languages with both tone and syllabic consonants seem to always have tone on syllabic consonants.

Where does null tone come from? Is it like a pitch-accent system where only some syllables get lexical tone?
I don't want syllabic consonants [:D]

Null tone is used on the small amount of CV words, which are typically on the level of ŋo ‘and’. Some kind of pitch-accent lenition system might work? Hmm.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

druneragarsh wrote:Intended setting: Drunworld, a far-future colony that was settled from Earth and then lost, and is now at approximately 1850s to 1950s level in technology and medicine, some being further "ahead" of others. Dŕun is the lingua franca, spoken by the Dŕunish ethnic majority. The planet is earthlike, though the atmosphere is only around 60% nitrogen, with 20% oxygen and 20% argon plus trace gases. The gravity is slightly smaller.
Are the Dŕunish people human? Is Dŕun descended from any of the languages of Earth?
druneragarsh wrote:I have some question-words (tŕu ‘which’, tŕug ‘what’ etc), but I'm still debating where to put them. At the end, like ɣu? At the start? Replacing the word they're asking after? (‘The door was what.color?‘) I feel that they're also a bit English-y at the moment. The current list:
I wouldn't say they're too much like English, personally, but if you want to distance them from English interrogative words, so to speak, as much as possible, I'd recommend having them replace the words they're asking about. You don't have to, though. You could place them anywhere, really. Because of their differences in meaning/use/etc., you don't have to place them in the same position as ɣu if you don't want to.
Edit: Whoops, I see you've already made a decision in a post below.
druneragarsh wrote:The precise point at which something is near vs far in time depends on the speaker's age and dialect. While young children view everything as either "now" or "far, far away", in adults, the distinction is typically made around a half year to a year.
Cool!
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

shimobaatar wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:Intended setting: Drunworld, a far-future colony that was settled from Earth and then lost, and is now at approximately 1850s to 1950s level in technology and medicine, some being further "ahead" of others. Dŕun is the lingua franca, spoken by the Dŕunish ethnic majority. The planet is earthlike, though the atmosphere is only around 60% nitrogen, with 20% oxygen and 20% argon plus trace gases. The gravity is slightly smaller.
Are the Dŕunish people human? Is Dŕun descended from any of the languages of Earth?
They're human, but the langs are not diachronically derived from any natlang. Mira (the small isolate) is supposed to feel vaguely Uralic, though. (Dŕun is an isolate at the moment, the other three langs are related.)
shimobaatar wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:I have some question-words (tŕu ‘which’, tŕug ‘what’ etc), but I'm still debating where to put them. At the end, like ɣu? At the start? Replacing the word they're asking after? (‘The door was what.color?‘) I feel that they're also a bit English-y at the moment. The current list:
I wouldn't say they're too much like English, personally, but if you want to distance them from English interrogative words, so to speak, as much as possible, I'd recommend having them replace the words they're asking about. You don't have to, though. You could place them anywhere, really. Because of their differences in meaning/use/etc., you don't have to place them in the same position as ɣu if you don't want to.
Edit: Whoops, I see you've already made a decision in a post below.
The current decision is that they go in the position of the word they're replacing. I've decided to differentiate them from English by only differentiating them by category of word they're inquiring after - noun, adjective, verb, with additional reason, way, time, and place. (I might axe some of those or add more, depending.)

Next up is more complex grammar. What sorts of questions should I ask myself?
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

druneragarsh wrote: They're human, but the langs are not diachronically derived from any natlang. Mira (the small isolate) is supposed to feel vaguely Uralic, though. (Dŕun is an isolate at the moment, the other three langs are related.)
Ahh, cool! Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if this has been answered before, but how many languages and/or language families exist in this world?
druneragarsh wrote:Next up is more complex grammar. What sorts of questions should I ask myself?
I often have this problem myself, as I'm sure most conlangers do. Sometimes, when I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I haven't decided on how to handle in a particular conlang yet, I'll skim through some of the chapters of WALS. I've also found reading linguistics-related articles on Wikipedia to be "inspirational" for this kind of thing in the past.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

shimobaatar wrote:
druneragarsh wrote: They're human, but the langs are not diachronically derived from any natlang. Mira (the small isolate) is supposed to feel vaguely Uralic, though. (Dŕun is an isolate at the moment, the other three langs are related.)
Ahh, cool! Thanks for the clarification. Sorry if this has been answered before, but how many languages and/or language families exist in this world?
At the moment, there is one inhabited continent, with three language families: Drún (Dŕun), Šile (Eyþï, Žilèði, Kixaḷi) and Mira (Mira). I might add another continent on the other side of the planet, though I'm not sure yet. Even if I do, I'm not sure whether it'll be inhabited. No aliens, though.
shimobaatar wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:Next up is more complex grammar. What sorts of questions should I ask myself?
I often have this problem myself, as I'm sure most conlangers do. Sometimes, when I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I haven't decided on how to handle in a particular conlang yet, I'll skim through some of the chapters of WALS. I've also found reading linguistics-related articles on Wikipedia to be "inspirational" for this kind of thing in the past.
I should probably go through WALS. And yeah, Wikipedia is nice. Kixaḷi has 16 locational cases, inspired by the Wikipedia chart with (interior - surface - adjacency - state) × (from - in - into - via), derived from Proto-Šile stuff.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

A quick addition:
Adjectives
adjective - xʀǽtʲ new
comparative - gen-xʀǽtʲ
superlative - xʀǽtʲ-xʀǽtʲ (reduplication)

xʀǽtʲa kʙæ̀kʲa ārɣ xór kʲʙàn̥
new-ABS person-ABS see three book
The new person sees three books.

gen-xʀǽtʲa kʙæ̀kʲa ārɣ bʀēm kʲʙàn̥
COMP-new-ABS person-ABS see two book
The newer person sees two books.

xʀǽtʲ-xʀǽtʲa kʙæ̀kʲa ārɣ kʀùt kʲʙàn̥
SUP-new-ABS person-ABS see five book
The newest person sees five books.
Last edited by druneragarsh on 16 Dec 2015 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

druneragarsh wrote:Concrit
Is it correct to assume this means "constructive criticism" or is that some kind of typo? If it is what I think, is that really something that folks use? This is the first time I've ever seen it.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
druneragarsh wrote:Concrit
Is it correct to assume this means "constructive criticism" or is that some kind of typo? If it is what I think, is that really something that folks use? This is the first time I've ever seen it.
It's "constructive criticism", and used fairly frequently in some of my other internet circles. I didn't realize I was the first one to bring the term here.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Re: Dŕun (Drunworld)

Post by druneragarsh »

Noun phrases:
Generally head-final

drúnin kʙōt
drún-GEN bird
Drún's birds

l̥úʙv-gīrb
good-fly
to fly well

Relative clauses:
The relative pronouns are the same as the interrogative pronouns. In determining which pronoun to use, use the pronoun that would be used to ask after the thing that the relative clause modifies.

Ráa ārɣ kʙōt, trúg ráa ne ārɣ neʀòtʲ
I-ERG see bird, what I-ERG past see past-day
I see the bird that I saw yesterday.
The relative clause is modifying the noun kʙōt ‘bird’, so the relative pronoun is the same as the interrogative pronoun with which one would ask what one has seen.
Ráa ārɣ kʙōt -> Ráa ārɣ trúg? -> ...trúg ráa ne ārɣ neʀòtʲ
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Now has a CWS page, complete with vocabulary!
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

druneragarsh wrote:Now has a CWS page, complete with vocabulary!
Congratulations! [:D]
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Now has a recorded sample!
audio
Text:
neʀòtʲ ráa ne ārɣ kʙōt gīrb šem m̥ʀón, gæ rá pʀēk šem ʙó. ʙóa ŋ̊o-trāš ŋārd m̥ʀón. ŋo kʙōt.
ne-ʀòtʲ rá-a ne ārɣ kʙōt gīrb šem m̥ʀón, gæ rá pʀēk šem ʙó. ʙó-a ŋ̊o-trāš ŋārd m̥ʀón. ŋo kʙōt.
past-day I-ERG IPF see bird fly on sky, and I think on thou. thou-ERG and-ever like sky. and bird
Yesterday I saw a bird flying in the sky, and thought of you. You always liked the sky. And birds.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Grammar's in an adequate state and I can't figure out what to add to it, so I'll post some culture-specific texts here.

Sríše, drètʲin kírše! Le šòrg šem ʙōʙì! ʙōa vùʙl̥ kírg dag ŋùʀl!
sríš-e, drètʲ-in kírš-e! le šòrg šem ʙō-ʙì! ʙō-a vùʙl̥ kírg dag ŋùʀl!
copper-VOC earth-GEN daughter-VOC! IMP look at you.polite-self! you.pol-ERG perfect tool for science
Copper, daughter of the Earth! Look at yourself! You are a perfect tool for science!
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS