A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Þrinn: The Mid-Germanic Language

Post by Lambuzhao »

Fun & neat~!
[:D]

Þrinn's Regensturm (or mebbe Regenriðe) would be Hälcledes 'hell-sky' in Sadraas.

[;)]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Building materials?
Straw, stucco, plaster, brick, adobe, timber, concrete, cement, steel, glass?
Cinderblock, marble, mortar, gabion, slate?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Lambuzhao wrote:Þrinn's Regensturm (or mebbe Regenriðe) would be Hälcledes 'hell-sky' in Sadraas
Oooh! I really like that word!! [:D] Sriðe in the meaning of storm only survives in Haghelsriðe and Snávsriðe, Sturm's used everywhere else.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

qwed117 wrote:Building materials?
Sure!
Býtmen- Concrete
Drüg- Wood
Fange- Mud
Gips- Plaster
Glas- Glass
Kalk- Limestone
Limel- Mortar
Stan- Stone
Marmer- Marble
Mülndrüg- Timber/Lumber
Plastik- Plastic
Skist- Slate/Schist
Stäl- Steel
Strö- Straw
Stukko- Stucco
Týgla- Brick
Þana- Clay
Þanatýgla- Adobe/Mudbrick
Zement- Cement
Zementstan- Cinderblock
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Schleicher's Fable
Thought this would be a nice little text to translate.

Sjaf, anaðer var nen ule, sa éghrer: kura vaghen dragend, gröta bürðe bearend äg mann radt bearend. Þat sjaf ságde éghrem: „sa hearta svírd mig, mann éghrer driven seħen.“ Þa éghrer ságden: „hör sjaf, þa hearter svearen uns, near seħem vir þat: mann, se bassa, do þa ule þara sjafa in varmem kläðinge für sig. Äg þa sjafe haven nen ule.“ Neþat hörte þat þat, fljúhte þat sjaf ina fläke.

Glossing & IPA:
Spoiler:
sheep.NOM on.REL.PRO.DAT.NEUT be.PST.3s NEG wool-ACC see.PST.3s horse-ACC.PL heavy-strong.MASC.ACC wagon.ACC pull.PRESP.NMZ.ACC big-strong.FEM.ACC load.ACC carry.PRESP.NMZ.ACC CONJ mann.ACC fast.NOM carry.PRESP.NMZ.ACC | DEF.ART.NEUT.NOM sheep.NOM say-PST.3s horse-DAT.PL DEF.ART.MASC.NOM heart-NOM hurt.PRES.3s 1s.PRO.ACC man.NOM horse-ACC.PL drive-INF see-INF | DEF.ART.MASC.NOM say-PST.3s hear.IMP sheep.NOM DEF.ART.MASC.NOM.PL heart-NOM.PL hurt-PRES.3p 1p.PRO.ACC when see-PRES.1p 1p.PRO.NOM 3s.NEUT.PRO.ACC man.NOM DEF.ART.FEM.NOM master.NOM make-PRES.3s DEF.ART.FEM.ACC wool-ACC DEF.ART.NEUT.GEN.PL sheep-GEN.PL CONJ warm-strong.NEUT.DAT clothing-DAT for 3s.REFL.PRO.ACC | CONJ DEF.ART.NEUT.NOM.PL sheep.NOM.PL have-PRES.3s NEG wool-ACC | after hear-PST.3s 3s.NEUT.PRO.NOM 3s.NEUT.PRO.ACC flee-PST.3s DEF.ART.NEUT.NOM sheep-NOM in.DEF.ART.FEM.ACC plain-ACC

ɕɑːf ˈänɑːðər vɑːr neːn ˈuːlœ sɑː ˈeːɣrər ˈkʰuːrɑ ˈväɣən ˈtraːjənˀ ˈkrøːtʰɑ ˈpyrθœ ˈpɐːrənˀ æk män rätˀ ˈpɐːrənˀ | θätʰ ɕɑːf ˈsɑːktə ˈeːɣrəm sɑː ˈhɐːɖˀɑ sviːrˀ mɪk män ˈeːɣrər ˈtriːvən ˈseːhən | θɑː ˈeːɣrər ˈsɑːktən høːr ɕɑːf θɑː ˈhɐːɖˀər ˈsvɐːrən ʊns nɐːr ˈseːhəm viːr θat män seː ˈpäsɑ toː θɑː ˈuːlœ ˈθɑːrɑ ˈɕɑːfɑ ɪn ˈvärməm ˈkʰlɛːðɪŋœ fʏr sɪk | æk θɑː ˈɕɑːfœ ˈhɑːvən neːn ˈuːlœ | ˈneːðätʰ ˈhøːɖˀœ θätʰ θätʰ ˈfʎuːʔtʰœ θätʰ ɕɑːf ˈɪnɑ ˈflɛːkʰœ
English:
Spoiler:
A sheep that had no wool saw horses, one of them pulling a heavy wagon, one carrying a big load, and one carrying a man quickly. The sheep said to the horses: "My heart pains me, seeing a man driving horses." The horses said: "Listen, sheep, our hearts pain us when we see this: a man, the master, makes the wool of the sheep into a warm garment for himself. And the sheep has no wool." Having heard this, the sheep fled into the plain.
Edit: Whoops sorry about the mistakes earlier. It was pretty late when I first typed it [>_<]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

All4Ɇn wrote:
qwed117 wrote:Building materials?
Sure!
Býtmen- Concrete
Drüg- Wood
Fange- Mud
Gips- Plaster
Glas- Glass
Kalk- Limestone
Limel- Mortar
Stan- Stone
Marmer- Marble
Mülndrüg- Timber/Lumber
Plastik- Plastic
Skist- Slate/Schist
Stäl- Steel
Strö- Straw
Stukko- Stucco
Týgla- Brick
Þana- Clay
Þanatýgla- Adobe/Mudbrick
Zement- Cement
Zementstan- Cinderblock
Is býtmen supposed to be asphalt, not concrete? Or is it semantic drift?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

One of my concultures, the Vdaons and Sadraas, build boats from reeds, akin to the Ancient Egyptian reed-boats and the Pre-Colombian caballitos de totora.

And the Mesopotamians' (and today's Marsh Arabs') mudhif
https://classconnection.s3.amazonaws.co ... 505942.png

https://pbr2010.files.wordpress.com/201 ... dhif-2.jpg

Would you consider 'reeds' a separate building material?

How would you say that in Thrinn, apart from Strö ??

Also, in a similar Poales vein, wut about bamboo????

:wat:
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

qwed117 wrote:Is býtmen supposed to be asphalt, not concrete? Or is it semantic drift?
It's semantic drift. Virtually every European language I could find uses some word from bitūmen to mean concrete. The Thrinn word for asphalt is simply asphalt [:)] .
Lambuzhao wrote:One of my concultures, the Vdaons and Sadraas, build boats from reeds, akin to the Ancient Egyptian reed-boats and the Pre-Colombian caballitos de totora. Would you consider 'reeds' a separate building material? How would you say that in Thrinn, apart from Strö ?? Also, in a similar Poales vein, wut about bamboo???? :wat:
That's a really cool idea! Sadly being 21st century European country, Thrinn doesn't use reed as a building material. But since other cultures have and do it still counts as one. The Thrinn word for that would be rör. Bamboo would be bambs
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

All4Ɇn wrote:
qwed117 wrote:Is býtmen supposed to be asphalt, not concrete? Or is it semantic drift?
It's semantic drift. Virtually every European language I could find uses some word from bitūmen to mean concrete. The Thrinn word for asphalt is simply asphalt [:)]
So, I'm looking at Wikipedia's list of translations. It seems to suggests that where beton (from bitumen) is used, it's a loanword from French.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

qwed117 wrote:So, I'm looking at Wikipedia's list of translations. It seems to suggests that where beton (from bitumen) is used, it's a loanword from French.
Yeah I definitely shouldn't have said "virtually every" since it's mostly just languages concentrated between Germany and Russia. I could've used something derived from "béton" but I wanted to mix it up a bit
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

I was working on making some more compound nouns when I realized I have no Þrinn equivalent to the -able suffix!

I'm trying to decide what to do. Should I simply derive it from the same source as German -bar and make it something along the lines of -ber/-bear/-bär or should I go with something completely different? Anyone have any ideas?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

You could look for alternative strategies in German(ic) dialects. I think -bar/-able is a very standard language-y feature, IINM.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Given that the word -bar comes from a word meaning bearable, one possibility is deriving it from PG *ubatją (fruit) meaning it could turn into something like -uft. So visible, for instance, would be siħtuft. I could also add a u-laut to words with that suffix making it syħtuft in that particular case. What do you guys think of that?

On a similar note I've been working on the Thrinn words for neighbor and neighborhood and right now have the following idea:
Neighborhood would be varr (derived from *warjaz). Neighbor would follow a kind complicated series of steps. Its word would be derived from * nēhwagabūrô initially as neħagevura which would be further simplified to neħvura. Neħvura would then be analogized to nevarr (meaning near-neighborhood). Nevarr itself would then be analogized with the suffix -er to the Thrinn word for neighbor: never.
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 11 Mar 2017 23:31, edited 2 times in total.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

All4Ɇn wrote:Given that the word -bar comes from a word meaning bearable, one possibility is deriving it from PG *ubatją (fruit) meaning it could turn into something like -uft. So visible, for instance, would be siħtuft. I could also add a u-laut to words with that suffix making it syħtuft in that particular case. What do you guys think of that?

On a similar note I've been working on the Thrinn words for neighbor and neighborhood and right now the following idea:
Neighborhood would be varr (derived from *warjaz). Neighbor would follow a kind complicated series of steps. It's word would be derived from * nēhwagabūrô initially as neħagevura which would be further simplified to neħvura. Neħvura would then be analogized to nevarr (meaning near-neighborhood). Nevarr itself would then be analogized with the suffix -er to the Thrinn word for neighbor: never.
I really like syħtuft and will like whatever -uft's you come up with.

Also, [pun]neighbor say neighbor[/pun]
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

loglorn wrote:I really like syħtuft and will like whatever -uft's you come up with.
Looks like that's going to be the suffix then [:D]
loglorn wrote:Also, [pun]neighbor say neighbor[/pun]
Won't you be my never? [:P]
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

So there's been a bit of a plot twist

The letter <ħ> represents /h/ non-initially and, unknowingly, I've actually been pronouncing it as [ħ] word finally or before a consonant. So /h/ now has the allophone [ħ] which is coincidentally also written as <ħ>. :wat:
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

2016 Election
Given the upcoming elections across Europe I though it'd be a good time to go into some more detail about Thrinn's presidential election past September
1st Round:
Major Candidates
Cärel Huverd (Green): Governor of Gotland (2012-2016)
Mark Úlfsund (Far Left): President (2012-2016)
Josef Fisker (Left): Senator from Posen (2000-2012)
Tadä Skriver (Center): Minister of Justice (2004-2012)
Geörge Fljogel (Right): Governor of Silesia (2004-2016)
Jakob Vixer (Far Right): Representative from Mön (2012-present)

The first round of voting for the general election is always held on the 3rd Sunday of August and campaigning for it typically begins between April and May with each party's primary occurring in the months before. Despite facing high disapproval ratings, then current president Mark Úlfsund announced his plan to run for president. He easily won his party's primary. As part of a similar wave of increased voting for 3rd party candidates as well division among party boundaries, all 6 major candidates were seen as possibly being able to win. Final results for the election were extremely close with Úlfsund getting 17.6%, Huverd getting 16.7%, Fljogel getting 16.6%, Vixer getting 16.3%, Fisker getting 16%, and Skriver getting 15.1%.
Spoiler:
Green: Green Party
Dark Blue: Far Left
Light Blue: Left
Brown: Center
Red: Right
Pink: Far Right
2nd Round:
The 2nd round is held on the last Sunday in September and although virtually every combination of candidates was seen as a possibility in the runoff, the Úlfsund/Huverd pair was particularly seen as unexpected due to both parties far left views in a year that saw significant gains by the right elsewhere. The general consensus among Thrinns was that this would lead to record low turnout among members of the political center and right. Úlfsund saw this as the perfect opportunity to make his policies even more liberal in an attempt to distract from the scandals surrounding his presidency and take away the liberal votes from the Green party. Meanwhile

Huverd, seeing an opportunity to pick up voters from the right, selected Fljogel as her running mate for vice president. Despite being more liberal than the far left on most issues, the Green party has also been fairly nationalistic. Huverd brought this element out to the full extreme to bring in voters from the Far Right including taking a stance far more anti-immigration than previous Green candidates.. Huverd's immigration stance as well as her choice of Fljogel over Fisker or Skriver brought her a lot of dislike from the Left and Center parties who overwhelmingly voted for Úlfsund. Despite this, the members of the Right and Far Right who voted, voted overwhelmingly for Huverd and she also managed to win a lot of voters over from the Far Left due to her liberal positions and lack of scandals compared to Úlfsund. In the final results Huverd won around 53.3% of the final vote
Spoiler:

Hopefully I'm not annoying anyone with this since it's not really language related. Just seems like something fun to cover [:)]
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 14 Mar 2017 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Wow Thrinn politics seem to be really different from other countries in Europe. Just to clarify: what exactly do you mean by liberal? Maybe give some examples? I always get the English words confused, I think they may be kind of false friend with cont. German liberal.
Also, funny side note: The Green Party in Germany is almost the only political party in Germany right now, that has no anti-immigration policy whatsoever.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Subsections and percents would be nice. Also vote totals and a legend, because I can't understand the maps whatsoever. The colors vary a lot in the Us
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Why would presidential candidates select "running mates" from totally different parties? Nobody's going to want a situation where the vice president is from a different party from the president!

Why is a "far left" candidate having "liberal" policies? That seems like a contradiction in terms!

It seems extremely unlikely that you'd have such an even spread - surely the parties/blocs will come together, formally or informally, to preselect their candidates, rather than potentially throwing their chances of power away through vote-splitting?

Why would there be low turnout from the centre and the right, if they were in a position where they had to vote to stop a far left candidate being elected? Surely the turnout would be higher than normal, not lower?