Vuase

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Corphishy
greek
greek

Vuase

Post by Corphishy »

Edit: skip to here
Vuase is a conlang that I have been tinkering with, abandoning, picking back up, and abandoning again for about 6 years (or about since I was 10). I think that making a thread will help to make more constructive progress on the language.

As is obligatory of a conlang thread, the first post will be about the phonology! Vuase has a very simple one:

PHONEME INVENTORY

/m n/ <m n>
/p b t d k g/ <p b t d k g>
/v s h/ <v s h>
/w r l/ <w r l>
Consonants can also be labialized, which is written as <Cu> (e.g. vuase)

/i y u o e a/ <i y u o e a>
/ai au/ <ai au>

ALLOPHONY
/s/ > [ʃ] before /i y e/

PHONOTACTICS

(C)(R)V(N)(K)
C=a consonant
R=/r l/
V=a vowel or diphthong
N=/r l n m/
K=/p t s k/

there are, however, some restrictions:
  • If V is a diphthong, there can be no N
  • (m w n r l)R cannot occur
  • When N=/m n/, the K cannot be /k/ (ironically). In fact, clusters of /m n/K can only be /mp nt ns/
Last edited by Corphishy on 01 Sep 2018 17:52, edited 3 times in total.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Re: Vuase

Post by Corphishy »

Ignoring the previous (now deleted) post I made ever so slightly, let's try this again. I've been stewing over the nitty-gritty, and admittedly boring details of this language for the past couple of weeks, and I think I have something that isn't half bad.
[hr][/hr]
NOUNS (again)
The information on nouns is basically the same as the last post. So allow me to repost it:

Nouns in Vuase decline for 5 cases and for singular and plural number. The cases are called nominative, accusative, oblique, locative and genitive:
  • The nominative and accusative cases are pretty self explanatory. They are just the direct subject and direct object respectively.
  • The oblique case is used for both the indirect object of the noun (i.e. the dative case), and in some cases as an instrumental or a benefactive, or for possession of non-subject nouns. When a noun has an adposition attached, it usually takes this case.
  • The locative case is used for, well, the locative case, but sometimes used when taking other locational adpositions, such as the ablative on.
  • The genitive case is used to mark possession on the subject (i.e., only on nominative nouns).

This is the general declension paradigm which nouns in Vuase use. There are other irregularities out there, but that's what I like to classify as "interesting," so it isn't going to be discussed today.

There are some general notes on this chart and the chart after this one. Namely, that when nouns end in /i/ or /y/, they replace the /e/ in the endings which begin with /e/, and all vowels replace the /a/ in -as.

VERBS
Verbs were something that fucked me in the ass a little bit harder took a little bit more time to work out than nouns did. Which is kind of weird if you consider that the end result was the initial design. I guess I just tried so hard to reinvent the wheel in such stupid, complex and, at the end of the day, unsatisfying ways.

Another note for the verbs table is that RDP stands for reduplication (namely, reduplication of the final syllable). I did this to save space. You understand.

As shown, Vuase verbs generally decline for 3 aspects: simple, progressive and perfect; and 2 tenses: past and nonpast. And, as my 8th grade English teacher taught me once, I must again define my terms. Here goes:

• The simple aspect is pretty much the most complicated one. It covers a lot of ground in Vuase. Specifically, it acts as a habitual and a gnomic, and is used for what have been previously coined in another thread of mine, "copular clauses" (e.g. a sentence like "I am a man" or "I am hungry": statements wherein the subject is being described in some way using a copula to link the subject with the descriptor). It is also, in conjunction with the temporal adverb nau used to form the future tense.
  • The progressive aspect is basically the present tense.
  • The perfect aspect is basically the past tense.
  • The past implies a more distant past, and is also used as a "narrative" tense.

I would love to hear some feedback from the folks at home. Hopefully I explained everything well enough.
Last edited by Corphishy on 01 Sep 2018 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

If the progressive aspect "is basically the present tense", where would then be the difference between the progressive past and the non-past perfect?
I assume that the simple past is used for habitual actions in the past, but I cannot guess between the lower two aspects.

There is nothing much to say to the phonetics: Pretty usual, but pretty pretty.

To nouns: How could one differentiate between indirect and direct objects when both are in plural? Are there special particles, or maybe restrictions in word order?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Iyionaku wrote:If the progressive aspect "is basically the present tense", where would then be the difference between the progressive past and the non-past perfect?
I assume that the simple past is used for habitual actions in the past, but I cannot guess between the lower two aspects.
The simple answer is that there's not a lot of difference between the past progressive and nonpast perfect, other than they aren't interchangeable. Like I said, the past tense conveys a more distant past or "narrative" tense, and so is used to refer to events which occured in the past. The perfect is more for evens which have just ended, so saying "I died"/"I have died" or "I exploded"/"I have exploded" would use the perfect. Sorry if that was confusing, I'm not the best at this kind of stuff.

Iyionaku wrote:To nouns: How could one differentiate between indirect and direct objects when both are in plural? Are there special particles, or maybe restrictions in word order?
Well, my good friend I am glad you asked, as word order is a great next topic to discuss.

In Vuase, there are two word orders. For sentences with a verb that is in the simple aspect, the order is generally VISO (verb-indirect object-subject-object, to clarify what "I" stands for). Otherwise, the order is SVIO or ISVO (the only difference being that ISVO makes you sound a little on the "simple peasant" side of things). So one can easily tell the case of a noun by its position in the sentence.
Last edited by Corphishy on 01 Sep 2018 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Corphishy wrote:I think that making a thread will help to make more constructive progress on the language.
Hopefully!
Corphishy wrote: Consonants can also be labialized, which is written as <Cu> (e.g. vuase)
Can all consonants be labialized? Can consonants be labialized before any of the vowels?
Corphishy wrote:
  • The nominative and accusative cases are pretty self explanatory. They are just the direct subject and direct object respectively.
  • The oblique case is used for both the indirect object of the noun (i.e. the dative case), and in some cases as an instrumental or a benefactive, or for possession of non-subject nouns. When a noun has an adposition attached, it usually takes this case.
  • The locative case is used for, well, the locative case, but sometimes used when taking other locational adpositions, such as the ablative on.
  • The genitive case is used to mark possession on the subject (i.e., only on nominative nouns).
So the language is nominative-accusative in terms of alignment, it seems. I really like how possession is marked differently depending on whether or not the noun is nominative. What do you mean by "the ablative on"?
Corphishy wrote: This is the general declension paradigm which nouns in Vuase use. There are other irregularities out there, but that's what I like to classify as "interesting," so it isn't going to be discussed today.
I look forward to hearing more about them in the future.
Corphishy wrote:
  • The simple aspect is pretty much the most complicated one. It covers a lot of ground in Vuase. Specifically, it acts as a habitual and a gnomic, and is used for what have been previously coined in another thread of mine, "copular clauses" (e.g. a sentence like "I am a man" or "I am hungry": statements wherein the subject is being described in some way using a copula to link the subject with the descriptor). It is also, in conjunction with the temporal adverb nau used to form the future tense.
  • The progressive aspect is basically the present tense.
  • The perfect aspect is basically the past tense.
  • The past implies a more distant past, and is also used as a "narrative" tense.
Could you perhaps show us some example sentences to demonstrate the distinctions between the different tense-aspect combinations? Also, I audibly laughed at the first sentence here. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but I found it pretty funny.
Corphishy wrote: I would love to hear some feedback from the folks at home. Hopefully I explained everything well enough.
You explain things very well!
Corphishy wrote: In Vuase, there are two word orders. For sentences with a verb that is in the simple aspect, the order is generally VISO (verb-indirect object-subject-object, to clarify what "I" stands for). Otherwise, the order is SVIO or ISVO (the only difference being that ISVO makes you sound a little on the "simple peasant" side of things). So one can easily tell the case of a noun by its position in the sentence.
Interesting!

Also, I believe I've seen "X" used to represent an indirect object, or at least an oblique argument. I could be wrong, though.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Wow jesus I kind of abandoned this thread and also this language for the millionth time because of a lack of focus. It's really hard to try to sustain a conlang you've been tinkering with for over 6 years. Either way, I'll try to answer your questions.

shimobaatar wrote:Can all consonants be labialized? Can consonants be labialized before any of the vowels?
only /p b v t d s k g/ can be labialized, and all vowels can come after a labialized consonant besides /u/
shimobaatar wrote:So the language is nominative-accusative in terms of alignment, it seems. I really like how possession is marked differently depending on whether or not the noun is nominative. What do you mean by "the ablative on"?
Thank you for the complement. on (bolded to represent a lexical item, which I forgot to do) is the ablative adposition (i.e. its the one I use to mean "from").
shimobaatar wrote:Could you perhaps show us some example sentences to demonstrate the distinctions between the different tense-aspect combinations? Also, I audibly laughed at the first sentence here. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but I found it pretty funny.
Okay. So the thing about Vuase is i kind of hate it. And one of the main reasons why is because I seem to have this nagging desire to make something "complex," especially with verbs. But the thing is that I don't know anything about verbs, aspects or tenses outside of English (Ive taken one year of french in high school and i can only speak in the present and future tense). And this translates well I think into how fucking confusing I have made the verb system in Vuase. I don't have any idea what I am doing and it makes me angry so I just avoid it which sums up how I treat the entire language. So no, I don't think I have the mental strength to give example sentences yet.
Last edited by Corphishy on 01 Sep 2018 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Corphishy wrote:Either way, I'll try to answer your questions.
Thank you very much.

Sorry for bringing back something you're no longer working on. Are you no longer working on your other threads, either? I was going to comment on a few other posts of yours from when I was "gone" from the board, but I won't if you don't want me to.
Corphishy wrote: on (bolded to represent a lexical item, which I forgot to do) is the ablative adposition (i.e. its the one I use to mean "from").
Oh, sorry, I couldn't tell it was bolded.
Corphishy wrote: Okay. So the thing about Vuase is i kind of hate it. And one of the main reasons why is because I seem to have this nagging desire to make something "complex," especially with verbs. But the thing is that I don't know anything about verbs, aspects or tenses outside of English (Ive taken one year of french in high school and i can only speak in the present and future tense). And this translates well I think into how fucking confusing I have made the verb system in Vuase. I don't have any idea what I am doing and it makes me angry so I just avoid it which sums up how I treat the entire language. So no, I don't think I have the mental strength to give example sentences yet.
That's fine; don't feel like you have to do anything you personally don't want to do.

I can definitely relate to how you feel about Vuase. Hopefully you can get over these feelings that are keeping you from enjoying creating the language soon.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

shimobaatar wrote:Sorry for bringing back something you're no longer working on. Are you no longer working on your other threads, either? I was going to comment on a few other posts of yours from when I was "gone" from the board, but I won't if you don't want me to.
That's quite alright, actually. Having people discuss my conlangs/ask me questions kind of forces me (in a good way) to actually do something, so I would appreciate posting on any of my threads.
shimobaatar wrote:I can definitely relate to how you feel about Vuase. Hopefully you can get over these feelings that are keeping you from enjoying creating the language soon.
I cannot agree more. Maybe over the next few days I'll try to revive both Vuase and some of the other languages I've posted on here.
Last edited by Corphishy on 01 Sep 2018 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Corphishy wrote: That's quite alright, actually. Having people discuss my conlangs/ask me questions kind of forces me (in a good way) to actually do something, so I would appreciate posting on any of my threads.
OK, good!
Corphishy wrote: I cannot agree more. Maybe over the next few days I'll try to revive both Vuase and some of the other languages I've posted on here.
Good luck!
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Edit: Edited on March 24, 2019
When I first created Vuase, I was maybe 13 years old (late 2012). I really have grown attached to this little conlang that could. 7 years have gone by, with constant reforms and revisions. The same, I think can also be said of its creator. But now I’m a 19 year old college freshman, and I think its time I finally do this conlang justice. So, with that being said...

Vuase is a personal language that I have been tinkering with, abandoning, picking back up, and abandoning again for about 7 years (disregard the first post’s computation: I have had an abysmal sense of the progression of time since forever). I think that continuing this thread will help to put the many ideas I have in my head into a more tangible form. Think of it like one of them “scratchpads” (if I’m using that term correctly). Nothing said in this thread is set in stone; as I’ve stated, this is a personal language. If I decide to change or get rid of something, I’ll do so at my leisure in an attempt to make an end product that I find enjoyable to use and work on.

As is obligatory of a conlang thread, the first 11th post will be about the phonology!

PHONEMIC INVENTORY

/m n/ m n
/p b t d k g/ p b t d c g
/β s z ʝ/ v s z j
/r l/ r l

/i ɨ u ɛ ɔ a/ i y u o e a
/uː ɛː ɔː aː/ ū ē ō ā

PHONOTACTICS
CCVC

STRESS
Stress is usually penultimate. When it is not, it will be written with an acute accent on the stressed vowel.

/i ɨ u ɛ ɔ a/ > [ɪ ʊ ɤ ə ɤ ə] in unstressed syllables
- /i ɨ u/ do not change word finally
- This de-stressing does not occur in the syllable before the stressed syllable
- long vowels do not change in quality

OTHER ALLOPHONY
[k g s z]/[c ɟ ɕ ʑ]/_[i ɨ ɛ]1
[r l]/[r̥ ɬ]/C[-voice]_

1. this rule occurs independent of the stress rules.

Throughout this labor day weekend, I plan to add more and more to this thread. I hope this was coherent enough. I have a lot of ideas; some I'm sure of, others I'm very much not. Everything's always much clearer in your head than it is on paper, eh?
Last edited by Corphishy on 25 Mar 2019 02:04, edited 3 times in total.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Edit: Edited on March 24, 2019
Much like I did two years ago, I will now discuss nominal morphology in Vuase. However, since I have a little bit more to say than I did last time, I will split nouns and verbs into different sections (verbs will probably get a few subsections as well).

Due to my kind of janky set up at the moment, I wont be able to show an entire declension chart. That may be a blessing in disguise, as it means I'm forced to individually describe every case etc. So let's get into it:

Nouns in Vuase have four cases: nominative/absolutive, accusative, locative, and genitive/ergative. Here is what they all do.

NOM/ABS: −∅ The nominative/absolutive case is the unmarked case. It marks the subject of an intransitive clause, and the subject of a transitive clause if the clause is nominative or the object of a transitive clause if the clause is ergative. It is also the dictionary form of nouns. I will discuss ergativity in Vuase in a later post.

ACC: −i/ai/avi1 The accusative case marks the object of a clause, both direct and indirect (or only indirect objects in ergative clauses), and can thus be used as a dative. It also functions as a vocative.

1. The accusative ending is −i in every circumstance except after i y. After i, it becomes -ai and after y it becomes -avi.

LOC: −(e)r The locative case is used to indicate, well, location, or position relative to another object. Since Vuase only has one locative case, it still does use postpositions to indicate specific direction. If the locative noun is unmarked, it usually has the sense of "in, on, at."

GEN/ERG: −(á)s The genitive case has a few purposes. Primarily, it indicates possession. It is also used as an instrumental, and a benefactive. The genitive case is also used as an ergative, marking the subject of transitive ergative clauses.

Nouns can either be count or mass nouns, like pretty much every other language. In Vuase, mass nouns are treated as if they were plurals, but conjugate as if they were singular. Count nouns have separate endings for the plural forms.

NOM: −(a)n
ACC: −in/ain/avin
LOC: −(e)rer
GEN: −(a)zas

That's about all I have for nouns right now. As I implied earlier, I have more to say about Vuase verbs than nouns. I just don't know what other stuff nouns do. If anyone has any suggestions of topics to cover about nouns and the fun things you can do with them, I'd be more than happy to hear it.
Last edited by Corphishy on 25 Mar 2019 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

So, in the old days, Vuase had this system where modifiers agreed with the heads by just repeating the same suffixes, and then the heads would just stop being marked altogether. Besides being completely unnatural and not very pleasant to look at (which is in keeping with the rest of the language circa 2013). I've since overcorrected to have no agreement whatsoever, and I don't like that either. So, as the God of the Vuase Language, I will now bring to you the gold tablets of how adjectives in Vuase work.

So a fun little etymological history lesson about the Vuase accusative:

The accusative is the oldest case in Vuase. It used to be a postposition *iə. It was only used as a direct object, so it wasn't an oblique case (indirect objects were still unmarked). Anyway, this postposition then begun to be redundantly placed at the end of noun phrases, which basically meant that when it began to cliticize, it would be placed both on the accusative nouns and on their dependents. As the function of the accusative expanded, so too did the accusative marking on adjectives. However, eventually the accusative was restricted as new cases emerged, while the agreement markings stayed the same.

All this rambling is all to say that adjectives agree to two cases: called Nominative and Oblique. They also agree for number. This is also trying to say that the oblique marking is purposefully the same as the accusative case.
I usually talk about comparatives with regards to adjectives because, speaking English, I think of comparatives as a thing that happens to adjectives. However, in doing some research, I have come to a very interesting conclusion (at least I think so) of how Vuase comparatives work.

Vuase has a locational comparative. Basically what that means is that to form comparatives, the comparee takes the locative case. Here is an example:

Sed sie utra trys.
be-2S.IMPV 1S.LOC horse-NOM.SG happy-NOM.SG
"The horse is happier than me."

Of course, because of Vuase's loosey goosey syntax, that sentence can be reordered in a number of ways. This is just the most standard way of forming comparatives. I like this system for a number of reasons. For one, it gives the locative more things to do. It also makes Vuase less SAE, because the way PIElangs form comparatives is actually pretty rare cross-linguistically.

Superlatives are formed using the genitive on the "comparee" (or whatever it is called in superlatives), similar to in French (the only other language I know). Here is that example:

Sed tigosia utra trys
be-2S.IMPV 1S.GEN horse-NOM.SG happy-NOM.SG
"The horse is the happiest in the world."
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

The most basic/least marked form of a verb is the imperfective aspect. It is essentially the present tense, or I guess more accurately the "nonpast" as it is used for the future tense in conjunction with the future particle nau. Verbs in Vuase agree for the person and number of the subject. There are only two persons in Vuase, however: the first and second person. The second person is used for both second and the third person subjects. Here are the conjugations:

1 -e|es
2 -da|dan

SG|PL

The second person singular specifically has some odd features. Namely, before vowels, it is -d; before consonants, it is -a. The same is somewhat true for second person plurals, except instead its -an before consonants (but -dan otherwise).

The rest of the aspects build on this framework. The perfect is marked with the -mi- suffix. This goes after the stem and before the person marking. This aspect works a bit like a past tense, but it's more complicated than that. I'll explain when I get to the perfect aspect. The conjugations look like this:

1 -mie|mies
2 -mid|midan

Now, the perfective I put after the perfect and not after the imperfective because Vuase considers both of these aspects to be somewhat past tenses. The perfect, as perfects do, refers to verbs in the past tense with present relevance ("I have done"). The perfective, however, does not. It acts more like a simple past. These conjugations can usually both appear on verbs (not at the same time, of course), but not all verbs. Telic verbs can only take the perfect aspect as their past tense form.
The perfective marker is -(a)r. The perfective is younger than the perfect, and so unlike it, it goes after the person marking. Here is the conjugation table:

1 -er|esar
2 -dar|danar

What defines a telic verb in Vuase is my own judgement, as that's a question of semantics. Verbs will be marked vt. and va. for telic and atelic from this point on.
Now, those are verbs in the indicative. There is one other mood in Vuase: the subjunctive. The subjunctive, for one, does not distinguish between perfective and perfect, so that's one less thing to worry about. The subjunctive is used for counterfactuals, conditionals, hypotheticals etc. Standard "might" functions. Combined with the future particle, it also forms the imperative.

The subjunctive marker is -ai-, and goes after the perfect ending, and before the person marking. The imperfective form looks like this:

1 -aie|aies
2 -aid|aidan

And the perfect form looks like this:

1 -miaie|miaies
2 -miaid|miaidan

I should also note that the es in -aie, -aies, -miaie, -miaies are optionally pronounceable, but not optionally written.

After class (which is in a few minutes) I will post about nonfinite verbs.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Vuase has three kinds of nonfinite verb forms: participles, gerunds and infinitives. Let's first discuss participles, as they are the most complicated.

Just a head's up, this is basically the end of Vuase's inflectional morphology.

A participle's function is very simply as a verbal adjective. They distinguish the imperfective and perfect aspects, and number and person. In this way they can function as entire adjectivized verb phrases. The participle marker is -yn-. This reacts quite a bit more violently than the other affixes. When the final vowel of a stem is /ɔ ɛ a/, then the resultant *oy *ey *ay clusters become ou ei ai [ou̯ ei̯ ai̯] respectively. After /i/, the stem's vowel is deleted.
This problem is avoided in the perfect aspect, where the ending is -myn-. I'm sure I don't need to share the paradigm with you because you already know from the previous how to add the person/number endings to things.

Participles have a few functions beyond adjectives. They can also be used in converbial constructions in conjunction with adpositions (they do other things but I will get into tnat in a different post). Unlike the rest of the language, which utilizes exclusively postpositions, the adpositions used for this construction goes before the verb. This is because the participle is viewed as modifying the adposition, rather than the other way around.

Converbs (or just converbial periphrases) are formed using cyn "after" before the participle. This has the meaning of "because, after, while, when" etc. Typical converb things. Here is an example sentence:

Sed cyn amonmyna aisai utra trys
be-2S.IMPV after eat-PRF.PTCP-2S grain-ACC.SG horse-NOM.SG happy-NOM.SG
"The horse is happy because he ate some hay."
Besides verbal adjectives, there are also verbal nouns. There are two kinds of verbal nouns: gerunds and infinitives. I'll talk about infinitives last because they're the simplist.

Gerunds, like participles, mark for aspect, person and number. Note also that neither mark for mood. Anyway the gerund suffix is -ec- and -miec- for the imperfective and perfect respectively. Gerunds do not decline for anything.

The reason why there are two different types of verbal nouns because they do different things. Gerunds primarily form subordinate clauses. Specifically content clauses and supines. In this way, gerunds sometimes compete for semantic space with relative clauses.

Infinitives are basically just plane jane verbal nouns. They primarily act as a kind of derivational morphology, having its purpose long eroded and consumed by the gerund. The primary grammatical function is to discuss a verbs action as a whole, which I think is true for most infinitives.
They do not conjugate at all, but they do decline for things, and actually I want to discuss something. First, let me show you the declension paradigm for the infinitive, and you can tell me what problems you see

NOM -a|an
ACC -ai|ain
LOC -a|ar
GEN -a

If you couldn't tell, the main problem is that the nominative, locative and genitive marking all have the same ending. This is actually a small problem with Vuase in general, at least with regards to nouns. So, I have decided that I will be writing postpositions manditorily alongside the locative and genitive case (an and tyla respectively: of course, there are other postpositions, but these are the ones which convey the same meaning as the original unaccompanied cases). I imagine this to be a thing which is mandatory to write, but not mandatory to say, much like French "ne."
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Alright, so I have been workshopping this language and the world of which it is a part for quite a while now. Namely, I have been fleshing out the protolang for Vuase and thus its sisters: Proto-bʷn̩ (Henceforth PB). I will take this post and perhaps subsequent posts to outline PB for y'all.

Phonology
m n
p b t d k g
bʷ dʷ gʷ1
s z θ ð h2
w r l j

e ɤ o a
eː ɤː oː aː
i3 u3 m̩ n̩ r̩ l̩

PB is written with the bare IPA, except that long vowels are written with macrons.
1. the voicing of the labialized consonants is unclear; it is however clear that there was never a distinction between voiced and voiceless, and it is most likely the voicedness of these consonants was in free variation between voiced and devoiced /b̥ʷ d̥ʷ g̥ʷ/
2. uncertain whether it was h or ʔ; I write it h because thats easier and less ugly than any other option
3. these are not strictly vowels, but actually syllabic j w
CRVC syllable structure

C = a consonant
R = w1 r l j m n2 3
V = a vowel or syllabic consonant

1. Cʷw is illegal; there is no known examples of a contrast between Cʷ and C[+voice, +stop]w: however, that is not to say that Cʷ is an allophonic realization of these clusters, as labialized stops can appear in the coda position
2. CN clusters cannot be homomorphic (i.e. pm bm bʷm tn dn dʷn are all illegal); the C has to be a stop
3. the C of all CR clusters cannot be any of w r l j m n

syllable structure is, with few exceptions, penultimate. When this is not the case, stress will be marked with an acute accent.

GRAMMAR
Word order is OVS or VSO
Head initial
Split ergative (realis-irrealis split)
Nouns are declined for 2 cases: nominative/absolutive and ergative.

NOM/ABS - This case is indicated by the unmarked form of the noun. As the name implies, it is used to mark the subject of nominative constructions, and the agent of ergative constructions. For ease of communication, this case is called the "nominative" or "unmarked" case.
ERG - -asl̩ This marks both the subject of transitive clauses, as well as a genitive case--it covers the same semantic space as the previously stated Vuase genitive.

There are also a few postpositions in PB, which modify the unmarked form of the noun.

At the time of PB, there was no standard or obligatory way to mark plurality in nouns; some words in Vuase thus have irregular plurals.
Verbs conjugate for two tenses: past and nonpast; as well as two moods: realis and irrealis

Nonpast - unmarked
Past - -n/n̩

Realis - unmarked
Irrealis - -(a)j used variously to mark the future tense, negatives, questions, and indirective evidentiality, as well as other things

As well as this, PB employed many particles, adverbs and serial verbs for to indicate aspects and modality etc.

This doesnt seem like much but this is honestly about all I have for PB (as well as a lexicon of a little under 400 words). Tomorrow I will update you guys on how Vuase has changed over these past few months.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Instead of introducing this conlang for the third time what I will instead do is just start talking about the new stuff that Vuase does and I'll finish editing the older posts later (the posts on verbal morphology can just as well be completely rewritten and I may just strikethrough them entirely, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it). So today (tonight?) I will be discussing the topic of ergativity in Vuase.

The first thing to know is that Vuase is technically a split-ergative language, or perhaps an active-stative one. The terminology is less important than the actual goings-ons. The Vuase language has a kind of weak form of ergativity that in all honesty should be dead by now. Let me explain my predicament. The ergativity split is tied to the irrealis mood. The irrealis mood marks things such as conditionals, negation, questions and the future. There are however two currently competing irrealis markers, one which triggers the ergativity split and one which does not. I don't know whether I should keep some and create a new class distinction between verbs, one which cause ergativity and ones which do not, or alternatively have certain fossilized phrases or verbal constructions. The only other option is to completely get rid of it and if I did that then I just wasted a couple months-worth of grammar, but it also makes Vuase very unique grammatically from its sisters.

As for the morphology, as I said there are currently two suffixes which mark the irrealis mood. The first one is the oldest, -ai. This form of the verb does not conjugate for person at all. The newer one is -(a)s (from PB *aθ "enjoy; want, may"). This one does conjugate for person. There are also a few examples of verbs with suppletive irrealis forms.

Unfortunately, I do not have all that much to say. I may come back and write up some example sentences for the various usecases of the Vuase irrealis. I will probably cover the uses more in depth in their own posts, mostly because they all need to be fleshed out (especially asking questions).
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Very cool! [:D]
Is Vuase prodrop in any circumstances? Seeing as of the two irrealis forms you mentioned, only one marks for person.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Jackk wrote: 25 Mar 2019 11:39 Very cool! [:D]
Is Vuase prodrop in any circumstances? Seeing as of the two irrealis forms you mentioned, only one marks for person.
Yes, it is pro-drop usually, except when the clauses is ergative (ie except when the verb does not mark for person at all). Although in some circunstances the subject of a verb can be omitted if context is sufficient.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Today I want to talk about the fruits of my very complex and frankly obscene sound changes from Proto-Bwn to Vuase. Writing them all out in sequence would be a nightmare and probably pretty boring, but at some point I probably will (however, I will probably make an entire thread dedicated to PB).
Anyway, the topic of today's discussion is ablaut. There are several different categories of ablaut, each with their own history, but the main groups are vowel alteration and consonant alteration. Lets talk about the meatier group first: vowel alteration.

There are about 3 different types of vowel alteration that I can count, though there may be more that I've forgotten. In any case, let's discuss them.
These guys can also be divided into two categories: openness and stress (both with regards to the syllable), although only one is stress based. Let's discuss that one first.

O-E ablaut
For some o's and e', but not all, they will swap depending on if they are stressed or not--o in stressed syllables, e in unstressed ones. This also applies to the long version of these vowels. The reason for this is in PB this vowel was . Common examples of this ablaut occuring include the perfective suffix, which is -me in the first person, but -mód in the second person.

I-E ablaut
Next is what I call i-e ablaut, however it is more accurately described as i y-e o ablaut or something similarly obtuse. This is the first form of openness ablaut. When derivation or grammar makes a syllable containing i or y, they will change to e or o respectively. The reason for this is due to a chain of sound changes where basically *i and *u diphthongized in open syllables and then monophthongized later. An example of a word which exhibits this form of ablaut is syg- "pull, cut" which in the first person is soge.

I-Ē ablaut
This last vowel alteration is by far the most common, as it has the most vowels, namely all of them. When some i y u o are in an open syllable, they change to become ē ū ō ā respectively. Technically, that ō is also subject to O-E ablaut. The origin of this vowel alteration comes from a sound rule where long vowels were shortened and raised in closed syllables. A very common word, used to form the perfect past, is ēner which is the locative form of in "all."
Now to consonant alteration. There are 3 types of consonant alteration--and this time there are not subtypes therein. Comparatively speaking, consonant alteration is much calmer. They all occur when a consonant goes from the end of a word to intervocallic

T-S alteration
T-S alteration happens when words originally ended in a dental. At the ends of words, these dentals became alveolar stops t d, but intervocallically they became sibilants s z. An example of this is the word for person, it, which has two different alternation patterns. It's plural form, for example, is esen.

S-Z alteration
S-Z alteration is one of the trickier rules to learn about Vuase, because it causes ghost segments to appear sometimes. Sometimes, when a word ends in an s, it voices to a z in intervocallic position. And somrtimes when a word has no coda, when you suffix things a s will appear. This happened as a result of a rule which devoiced *z and deleted *s word finally. An example word is cru "lizard," crusen "lizards."

Labialization
This one doesn't have an "X-Y alteration" name because it's a slightly different rule. Basically, in Vuase word finally all the labialized stops lost their labialization and wer realized as plain stops. However, in every other location they became b. It's not a hard rule to explain but it is very weird in practice when the second person form of "to give" is madda but the first person form is mabe.
That's about all I have for this post. As I alluded to, these systems all interact with one another to create some strange instances where for example you have dud "coal" become dēbás "of coal." Vuase has come a long way in terms of phonological complexity from "English, Except..." to, well, this.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

> morphophonological processes leading to bizarre looking paradigms

Good shit [:D]

I'd enjoy seeing a verb it noun paradigm as a table [:)] especially one if the least transparent ones [}:D]
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world