Mij bamê, Bî

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
deli73
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Mij bamê, Bî

Post by deli73 »

So here's a general overview of my first (and badly named) conlang, which is phonemically mainly a subset of English, in vocabulary a bit of an amalgamation of French, English, and complete randomness, and grammatically... well, I tried to make it very distinct from the few natlangs I do know.
Edit: I should probably note that I'm not the sole creator of this, it started out as a group project and the co-creator still makes contributions sometimes.
Anyway, the phonemes for this language are as follows (will arrange these properly soon):

Consonants:
/m n/ <m n>
/p b t d k k/ <p b t d k q>
/f v s z ʒ h/ <f v s ś j h>
/l/ <l>
/ɹ/ <r>
/dʒ/ <g>
/w ʎ/

Vowels:
/i u/ <î u>
/ɪ/ <i>
/ei/ <é>
/ɛ œ ʌ/ <e o ù>
/æ ɐ/ <à a>
/oʊ aɪ ɛɹ ɔɹ/ <ö y r or>

Aside from a few rules/exceptions, which I'll get to in a moment, all of these correspond to a single letter and can be put together more or less arbitrarily.

As promised, said exceptions:
  • The letter r corresponds to /ɹ/ after all vowels, but when placed after o/œ/ the two letters become /ɔɹ/.
  • If the letter r directly follows another consonant and does not start a syllable, it's expressed as ɛɹ.
  • When u or î (/u/ and /i/) is followed directly by another vowel, they become /w/ and /ʎ/ respectively. For example, "uu" would be pronounced /wu/.

Dictionary: http://conworkshop.info/dictionary.php?L=B73

Grammar/Syntax:
Pronouns
Accusative is actually (kind of) the base case. Each accusative pronoun has two letters. The first corresponds to person:
  • 1st Person: m-
  • 2nd Person: s-
  • 3rd Person: l-
And the second to gender and number:
  • Singular Animate: -i
  • Singular Male*: -r
  • Singular Female*: -a
  • Singular Inanimate: -u
  • Plural Animate: -y
  • Plural Inanimate: -o
  • General/Ambiguous**: -e
*Male/female pronouns are only used for emphasis with a distinct purpose; the generic animate is preferred
**has several uses, many of which are rather specific, but "lu" serves as a fourth-person pronoun
Last edited by deli73 on 18 Apr 2016 17:55, edited 4 times in total.
Native: :eng: | Intermediate/Learning: :fra: | Planning to learn: :epo: :con:(various conlangs)

Conlangs: ("bî"), Pilit -> Kapeti ("kypyti"), Hypu, Proto-Datian, Tsuto, Temmie ("tem")

Current status: conlanging~
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: Mij bamê, Bî

Post by gestaltist »

What's the reason for having phonemic ʒ dʒ but no ʃ tʃ?
deli73
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by deli73 »

gestaltist wrote:What's the reason for having phonemic ʒ dʒ but no ʃ tʃ?
Honestly, absolutely none. It just doesn't have them. ^^;

woo arbitrary decisions
Native: :eng: | Intermediate/Learning: :fra: | Planning to learn: :epo: :con:(various conlangs)

Conlangs: ("bî"), Pilit -> Kapeti ("kypyti"), Hypu, Proto-Datian, Tsuto, Temmie ("tem")

Current status: conlanging~
jute
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by jute »

I think my phonology also has /ʋ/ rather than /v/ because I found it prettier and more interesting... so you are not the only one with arbitrary decisions :P

Last bumped by deli73 on 18 Apr 2016 17:56.
Jutean: Hawaiian phonology meets Tagalog, with English ergativity and Mandarin tenselessness added.
Also on CWS.
Information on Juteans and their homeland