Lenga Kagena

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Lenga Kagena

Post by Omzinesý »

Lat. servus -> VLat. sɛrvʊs -> West-Romance sɛrvos

If I want definite masculine nominatives/absolutives to have /u/, should I actually use the Sardinian vowel system where Latin vowels just lose their length?
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Omzinesý wrote:Lat. servus -> VLat. sɛrvʊs -> West-Romance sɛrvos

If I want definite masculine nominatives/absolutives to have /u/, should I actually use the Sardinian vowel system where Latin vowels just lose their length?
Or you could have some degree of tensing in th w back vowels. That being said, it's more likely that that happens in the front
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

qwed117 wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:Lat. servus -> VLat. -> West-Romance sɛrvos

Or you could have some degree of tensing in th w back vowels. That being said, it's more likely that that happens in the front
Sorry I formulated my problem badly.
I just want to keep the nominative distinct from the dative.

In Vulgar Latin o: and ʊ are merged.
Of course those grammatical endings can just behave differently or one of them can be affected by the definite suffix articles.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Omzinesý wrote:
qwed117 wrote:

Of course those grammatical endings can just behave differently or one of them can be affected by the definite suffix articles.
Nasal consonants tend to lower. If nasality is still contrastive in Vulgar Latin, then before it is lost you could go an extra step and lower õ > ɑ̃.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Ælfwine wrote:
Omzinesý wrote:
qwed117 wrote:

Nasal consonants tend to lower. If nasality is still contrastive in Vulgar Latin, then before it is lost you could go an extra step and lower õ > ɑ̃.
It's not contrastive in VL. The best option is to choose either a Sardinian (all length lost) or Eastern vowel system (o:>o, u:>u, e>i, i:>i).
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I think it's the easiest to condition the change with the suffix articles:

The nominative:
Lat. servus ille -> V.Lat sɛrvo el -> sɛrvo-el -> sɛrvu-el (rising before another vewel) -> sɛrvu (loss of the old article in some syntctic contexts)

The dative:
Lat. servo: illo: -> V.Lat. sɛrvo lo -> sɛrvo (loss of the old article in some syntactic contexts)

Pl.nom.
Lat. servi: illi: -> V.Lat sɛrvi li ->sɛrvi (loss of the article)

Pl.dat.
Lat. Servi:s illorum -> V.lat sɛrvi lor -> sɛrvɨ lor (backing of i and e when a back vowel follows) -> sɛrvɨ (loss of the article )
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I have a new idea.

Vulgar-Latin /s/ is backed -> /S/ in all contexts.
/k/ -> /s/ in front-vocalic contexts, as it does in West-Romance. This frequency of /S/ gives the language a nice flavour. It also makes writing look Hungarian.
I just have to check how it affects the whole consonant system.