Nereifa

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Re: Nereifa

Post by Ebon »

Adjectives!
Adjectives in Nereifa can be attributive or predicative. They can also modify verbs as adverbs. There are three adjective classes ending in -al, -ail and -nil respectively.

When used attributively, they're placed between the article and the noun and inflect for number. Their adjective ending is removed and replaced by the appropriate suffix.
-al adjectives: singular ending -> a, plural ending -> ai
palal (new) -> singular pala, plural palai

-ail adjectives: -ai in both singular and plural
zebanail (dark) -> zebanai in both

-nil adjectives: singular ending -> ni, plural ending -> nii
kasornil (physical) -> singular kasorni, plural kasornii

Predicative adjectives don't undergo any changes.

Adjectives are turned into adverbs by once again removing their adjective ending and adding the following:
-al adjectives: -u
palal -> palu

-ail adjectives: -au
zebanail -> zebanau

-nil adjectives: -nu
kasornil -> kasornu

When stringing together several adjectives or adverbs, all but the last one have their adjective endings removed.
kita pala eŋesha kuigwa (big new red house) -> kit pal eŋesha kuigwa
felua besa tokori (spicy hot meal) -> felu besa tokori

Examples:
sui luirenga renvei [suj lujˈɾɛŋ.ga ˈɾɛn.vɛj] - the unhappy child
dya kert varnai yirem [dja ˈkɛɾt ˈvaɾ.naj ˈji.ɾɛm] - a small rich person
sui ratsira timauku [suj ɾaˈt͡si.ɾa tiˈmau̯.ku] the unanimous agreement

Equatives, Comparatives and Superlatives
In Nereifa, all three are based on location.

Equatives
use the proximative case.
Rei Sil aeltal sir alyouril.
be.3SG Sil tall DEF.PROX monarch.PROX
Sil is as tall as the monarch. (Literally, "Sil is tall near the monarch".)

Comparatives
use the ablative.
Rei Sil aeltal suzen alyouruyen
be.3SG Sil tall DEF.ABL monarch.ABL
Sil is taller than the monarch. (Literally, "Sil is tall from the monarch".)

Superlatives
also use the ablative, but instead of giving a specific noun to compare to, the word everything is used (everyone and everywhere may also be used where appropriate).
Rei Sil aeltal nerseshetuyen / neryiremuyen.
be.3SG Sil tall everything.ABL / everyone.ABL
Sil is the tallest. (Literally, "Sil is tall from everything/everyone".)

Rei kal gwa besal nergwuyen.
be.3SG DEM place hot everywhere.ABL
This place is the hottest. (Literally, "This place is hot from everywhere").

Because nerseshetuyen is a rather long word, it's been progressively shortened all the way to naesh over time. Saying the full word sounds very formal.

Rei Sil aeltal naesh.
be.3SG Sil tall SPLV
Sil is taller than everyone.

Equatives, comparatives and superlatives may all be used as attributes as well:
Rei sui aelta nerseshetuyen renvei.
be.3SG DEF tall everything.ABL child
It's the tallest child.

Rei sui aelta Siluyen renvei.
be.3SG DEF tall Sil.ABL child
It's the child that's taller than Sil.

Rei sui aelta Silil renvei.
be.3SG DEF tall Sil.PROX child
It's the child that's as tall as Sil.
Last edited by Ebon on 21 Aug 2016 14:57, edited 3 times in total.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Ebon wrote:Adjectives in Nereifa can be attributive or predicative. They can also modify verbs as adverbs. There are three adjective classes ending in -al, -ail and -nil respectively.
I'm afraid I don't have much to say other than that I like how adjectives work and how you've presented the information on them, as usual.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

shimobaatar wrote:
Ebon wrote:Adjectives in Nereifa can be attributive or predicative. They can also modify verbs as adverbs. There are three adjective classes ending in -al, -ail and -nil respectively.
I'm afraid I don't have much to say other than that I like how adjectives work and how you've presented the information on them, as usual.
Thanks!

It just occured to me I never actually talked about personal pronouns and ways of addressing people, aside from mentioning it briefly.

Nereifa's pronouns, like the nouns, have a singular/plural distinction, and additionally something I've been calling a generic pronoun for lack of knowledge what the proper term for it is. They are as follows:

1SG: re / 1PL: tharye
2SG: neme / 2PL: nimarith
3SG: dwi / 3PL: wearith
Generic: yato

There isn't much to the usage of the first six. Of note is that there is no polite pronoun; regardless of who you're talking to, you always use neme. Dwi can only refer to specific nameable things, not as a placeholder pronoun; a tree, a person, an emotion or a thought can all be dwi, but a sentence like "it's raining", where it doesn't refer to anything in particular, isn't allowed with dwi. I'll probably end up handling raining differently anyway, but whatevs.

As for the generic pronoun, it has a number of use. It acts as an impersonal pronoun, comparable to English "one" (or somewhat colloquially "you" as well) and it can be used instead of the 2SG/2PL pronouns with the imperative for more polite requests. (Compare "go do it" to "one must do it".)
(I intend to add more uses, but it's still a bit of a work in progress.)

Now, I said there is no polite pronoun, but you can effectively create one by putting your conversation partner's title in the genitive in front of neme. Unless you're in the presence of a very high ranking person that you want to be very, very polite to, doing it once the first time you address them usually suffices. It looks like this:

dhiriseli neme: for addressing mages
lugeleli neme: for addressing farmers
meleyeli neme: for addressing a master of something

You would usually do this once with strangers who aren't noticeably above you socially, but not with friends or family, unless they're very high-ranking. If you're family with a monarch, you would call them alyoureli neme, at the very least in public, and even in private some monarchs might take offence to being called just neme.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

I reworked my articles to reflect noun case, complete with a shiny table that can be found in the first post. The sample sentences in this thread should all be updated now, but anything else on here I still need to work over.

Also, I added a section on equatives, comparatives and superlatives to the adjective post, since apparently I somehow forgot about it.

Conditionals

As mentioned previously in the verb post, conditionals have their own verb form, used only in the first clause of a conditional statement.
Class I: daaran -> daaradh
Class II: sivain -> sivaidh
raiu -> dharai

In addition to that, there are three different conjunctions used to denote different kinds of conditionals.

Iedha
denotes a natural consequence; if A, then B, no other possible outcomes.
Naizadh neme saseorash iedha, ru neme eral.
swim.COND 2SG DEF.LOC_ocean.LOC if, be.2SG 2SG wet
If you swim in the ocean, you'll be wet.

Kir describes an outcome that isn't guaranteed but likely. The focus lies more on the first clause, the action that leads to the consequence. In colloquial Nereifa, kir is often used regardless of which type of conditional it is.
Sedh neme dyazu kita yaramauya kir, imerindin neme dwor yiremaeor lurai.
go.COND 2SG INDEF.ALL big city.ALL if, become_acquainted.2SG 2SG INDEF.PL.ACC person.PL.ACC many
If you go to a big city, you'll get to know many people.

Vai is the irrealis if; it didn't happen, but if it had, this would have been the consequence.
Lugeludh neme vai, akei rei sui daiban tharye radh.
grow_food.COND 2SG if, now be.3SG DEF eat.1PL 1PL ability
If you had grown food, we would be able to eat now.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

I feel like updating this, but I can't seem to think of anything. Anyone want to see something specific?