Collabromlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Collabromlang

Post by qwed117 »

Now, I know not-a-lot of you like romlangs, but I thought it might be interesting to see how a collab romlang would work out. The format will be largely based on Artaxes' Indo-European collablang

1) Where will we place our lang initially? This will be its location at 250 AD (or if history requires it, earlier or later) We'll specify further in later question options. These areas are not meant to correspond to historical regions of the Roman Empire. "Asia" could mean trading post in India, and "Africa" could mean an outpost in Soqotra, areas that the Roman Empire didn't canonically control, but could possibly have had a major influence.
a) Asia
b) Europe
c) Africa

2) Will we be following the Spezia-Rimini line?1
<The Spezia-Rimini line is a sociolinguistic line that separates two of the major different families within the Romance family, Eastern Romance, and Western Romance. There is one other major language family within Romance, Southern Romance, which is/was spoken in North Africa, and Sardinia. The Spezia-Rimini line will affect the vowel system, simplification of -kt clusters, final -s in accusatives and 2nd person, and intervocalic voicing. The Sardinian choice is an intermediate of the two, featuring qualities from both, plus its own mix in. A more detailed explanation is available on Wikipedia. I can give a run-down of what the Wikipedia says to people behind firewalls, just pm me>
a) East
b) West
c) Sardinian/Southern
d) No

Let's see how these two questions go. I plan on finalizing the results by Wednesday, 12:00 PM GMT-5

1If East/West gets more than half the votes, without either gaining a majority, a recount will be held with just those two options
Last edited by qwed117 on 18 Jul 2016 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Collabromlang

Post by elemtilas »

I'd vote for Southern / Africa. African romance languages are quite rare -- I know only of Carrajina. Harder to do, there being much less material to work with, but could yield an interesting project.
qwed117 wrote:Now, I know not-a-lot of you like romlangs, but I thought it might be interesting to see how a collab romlang would work out. The format will be largely based on Artaxes' Indo-European collablang

1) Where will we place our lang initially? This will be its location at 250 AD (or if history requires it, earlier or later) We'll specify further in later question options. These areas are not meant to correspond to historical regions of the Roman Empire. "Asia" could mean trading post in India, and "Africa" could mean an outpost in Soqotra, areas that the Roman Empire didn't canonically control, but could possibly have had a major influence.
a) Asia
b) Europe
c) Africa

<The Spezia-Rimini line is a sociolinguistic line that separates two of the major different families within the Romance family, Eastern Romance, and Western Romance. There is one other major language family within Romance, Southern Romance, which is/was spoken in North Africa, and Sardinia. The Spezia-Rimini line will affect the vowel system, simplification of -kt clusters, final -s in accusatives and 2nd person, and intervocalic voicing. The Sardinian choice is an intermediate of the two, featuring qualities from both, plus its own mix in. A more detailed explanation is available on Wikipedia. I can give a run-down of what the Wikipedia says to people behind firewalls, just pm me>
a) South/East
b) North/West
c) Sardinian
d) No

Let's see how these two questions go. I plan on finalizing the results by Wednesday, 12:00 PM GMT-5

1If East/West gets more than half the votes, without either gaining a majority, a recount will be held with just those two options
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

1) c) a)
2) c) a) d)
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
TallaFerroXIV
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by TallaFerroXIV »

a)
c)

Would be cool to see an asian romance conlang!
"Ij ogare ge kot. Ogare ke kumath."

Darun the Savage
Viorp
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Viorp »

a) d)
Artaxes
sinic
sinic

Post by Artaxes »

1.c
2.c
Last edited by Artaxes on 19 Jul 2016 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

1. a) c)
2. d)

I like the idea of the -s later being lost leaving tone as the main marker of plurals.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

1.) c
2.) c
Last edited by Ælfwine on 19 Jul 2016 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Spoiler:
elemtilas wrote:I'd vote for Southern / Africa. African romance languages are quite rare -- I know only of Carrajina. Harder to do, there being much less material to work with, but could yield an interesting project.
qwed117 wrote:Now, I know not-a-lot of you like romlangs, but I thought it might be interesting to see how a collab romlang would work out. The format will be largely based on Artaxes' Indo-European collablang

a) Asia
b) Europe
c) Africa

a) South/East
b) North/West
c) Sardinian
d) No

Just to make sure your vote is counted properly, does Southern Romance, in your terminology go with the traditional Sardinian-Africa Romance (My fault for being obtuse, it's just that the line is "North-South", but the divisions is "East-West")
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

C African has interesting features to adopt.
D Different innovations spread though more or less ineligible languages anyway. There is no need to lock oneself in those theoretic constructions.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Even though I'm now used to the premise of the thread, try as I might, I still keep parsing this as Colla/bromlang rather than Collab/romlang, so that at a glance, it still hits the eyeballs as sth. like "Conbrolang". Wow, a brolang:

-- "Dude."
-- "Dude."
-- "Urp."
-- "Dude."
-- "Dude."
-- "Packers."
-- "Dude."

Back to the project... [B)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Viorp
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Viorp »

I propose Southern India.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

As soon as I figured out this wasn't a brolang (You're not alone, Lao Kou.), I was quite interested. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

1) c
2) d
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Surprise!
1) c
2) c

Let's do Saint Augustine a favour. [:D]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

1: a c
2: c d
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

I'm gonna start processing the results of the current voting now. All votes after 5:30 (GMT-4) will not be counted.
Elemtilas, I still need verification. Right now, I'm assuming "Southern" refers to the South Romance family (of Sardinian, South African Romance, and (apparently) Old Corsican)
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

1) A B C

2) A D
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Spoiler:
qwed117 wrote:1) Where will we place our lang initially? This will be its location at 250 AD (or if history requires it, earlier or later) We'll specify further in later question options. These areas are not meant to correspond to historical regions of the Roman Empire. "Asia" could mean trading post in India, and "Africa" could mean an outpost in Soqotra, areas that the Roman Empire didn't canonically control, but could possibly have had a major influence.
a) Asia 6
b) Europe 1
c) Africa 10
Our romlang will be spoken in Africa
Spoiler:
qwed117 wrote: 2) Will we be following the Spezia-Rimini line?1
a) East 4
b) West
c) Sardinian/Southern 7
d) No 7
A recount will be taken between Sardinian and no East-West divide.

3) Will we be following the Spezia-Rimini line?
a) Sardinian/Southern
b) No

4) Which Roman province will our speakers come from?
<There's a lot of chance for migration, which means that this will likely not be their final location>
a)Mauretania (Modern day Morocco, and Northern Algeria)
b)Africa Proconsolaris (Modern day Tunisia and West Libya)
c)Cyrenaica (Benghazi, and a little bit south)
d)Aegyptus
e)Other

5) How do you want to conduct migrations?
<This question is based on a suggestion that I made to the Indo-European Collablang. My option was to give a situation, and two options for the language to go. For example, here's one possible "scenario": "The Vandals are invading your province. What will we do? a)Assimilate b)Go south. The other option (hereforth referred to as "Traditional") is "Where do you want our language to be spoken? a) Central Africa b) Northern Africa".>
a) Scenario
b) Traditional
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

qwed117 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:I'd vote for Southern / Africa.
Just to make sure your vote is counted properly, does Southern Romance, in your terminology go with the traditional Sardinian-Africa Romance (My fault for being obtuse, it's just that the line is "North-South", but the divisions is "East-West")
Ah, by "southern" I mean "North African"! I know that modern Romance is divided roughly into Eastern & Western; but, since the Invasions, the Southern family of Romance languages never got a chance to grow and blossom! I'd imagine that if such languages had survived, we'd probably see such a three-branched system.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

elemtilas wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
elemtilas wrote:I'd vote for Southern / Africa.
Ah, by "southern" I mean "North African"! I know that modern Romance is divided roughly into Eastern & Western; but, since the Invasions, the Southern family of Romance languages never got a chance to grow and blossom! I'd imagine that if such languages had survived, we'd probably see such a three-branched system.
Yeah, I'd love to see texts in Old Corsican, but alas, if they exist, they aren't archived in Google. [:'(]
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad