Quick Diachronics Challenge

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
sangi39

Re: Quick Diachronics Challenge

Post by sangi39 »

ixals wrote: 24 Apr 2018 23:31 Now to declaring the winner, well, I'm actually on the fence. While vo1dwalk3r was the closest in the beginning, sangi worked out a lot of the groupings and sound changes, but then Nortaneous comes pretty much out of nowhere with a reconstructed *q which I was trying to get everyone to find out so badly! :roll: [:D] I would say it's between Nortaneous and sangi and if Nortaneous is up for it, I would propose that he could do the next challenge since he hasn't done one yet [:)]
I'd say that Nort should definitely be put forward as winner and come up with the next challenge.

Apart from the *s, his reconstruction seems closer than mine, especially regarding vowel length and the final *q. On top of that, he also took the time to reconstruct the second word (which was really only there as a hint if I remember correctly), and was almost spot on there (making the same mistake with *s, and having in place of *q in the last syllable, but pretty much got everything else right).

Inkcube-Revolver wrote: 24 Apr 2018 19:51 Y'know, it's pretty crazy how, despite the hectic lifestyles and long stretches of inactivity, users still keep returning to this thread, putting in their reconstructions through good and bad weather. In fact, I find it so admirable, I would like to set a day sometime in the summer where as many users as possible (that are interested, of course) are at work to reconstruct a protolang challenge all at once.

Now, I don't know if this is something that can be done here on CBB, or if we'd have to go elsewhere like Skype or Twitch or something, but I'd definitely want to do a live competition of sorts. It'd be all for sport, of course, and can be a nifty way for some of the users on this site to get to know each other and gain a sense of good ol' camaraderie.
There can even be teams pitted against each other that work together to reconstruct the protowords first. Not sure how it'd work, but if anyone's game, I'll be more than happy to figure it out.

You can PM me through CBB, or if there's enough people interested, I'll make a new thread dedicated to how we go about this.

Best regards, and good luck on finals to our collegefolk and high schoolers,

- Inkcube Revolver
I'd love to do something like this! [:D]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

Although I've never won one of these challenges, I also like the sound of Inkcube's idea. I'd definitely join in.

I also hope I can participate in the next challenge.
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Post by CarsonDaConlanger »

Is it cool if I rip this off and start a thread of my own? I have a family I think might be fun.
He/they bisexual weeb
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Why would you start a third thread with the same topic? Did I miss something?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Davush
greek
greek

Post by Davush »

CarsonDaConlanger wrote: 27 Apr 2018 03:24 Is it cool if I rip this off and start a thread of my own? I have a family I think might be fun.
I think diachronic challenges are better kept in this thread. People can easily see who the previous winner was and who's making the next challenge, and who is participating if it's all together. (Plus yeah, why make a third thread for the same thing?)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Hmmm, I think I'd largely agree with Davush and Creyeditor. If you started a separate thread just for the family you have in mind, following the same general pattern hear of "reconstruct the proto-word(s)", and someone wins, then either that thread becomes identical to this one (in which case, eventually, the same person might win in both threads so they should just be merged), or it's going to go silent as people return to this thread.

Having two challenge threads would be nice, but as Inkcube sort of mentioned, some of us already have trouble making time for just a single challenge.

However, what I will say is that if Nort doesn't want to come up with a challenge, then I'd be happy to pass things over to CarsonDaConlanger. It's entirely up to Nort though.
Just one time.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Also, this is already the second thread. The first one was already kind of abandoned.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

sangi39 wrote: 27 Apr 2018 13:47 Hmmm, I think I'd largely agree with Davush and Creyeditor. If you started a separate thread just for the family you have in mind, following the same general pattern hear of "reconstruct the proto-word(s)", and someone wins, then either that thread becomes identical to this one (in which case, eventually, the same person might win in both threads so they should just be merged), or it's going to go silent as people return to this thread.

Having two challenge threads would be nice, but as Inkcube sort of mentioned, some of us already have trouble making time for just a single challenge.
Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't fully understand what this was: I thought it was one guy giving people more words, not that the winner gets to go.
sangi39 wrote: 27 Apr 2018 13:47 However, what I will say is that if Nort doesn't want to come up with a challenge, then I'd be happy to pass things over to CarsonDaConlanger. It's entirely up to Nort though.
Works for me!
He/they bisexual weeb
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

CarsonDaConlanger wrote: 30 Apr 2018 00:29
sangi39 wrote: 27 Apr 2018 13:47 Hmmm, I think I'd largely agree with Davush and Creyeditor. If you started a separate thread just for the family you have in mind, following the same general pattern hear of "reconstruct the proto-word(s)", and someone wins, then either that thread becomes identical to this one (in which case, eventually, the same person might win in both threads so they should just be merged), or it's going to go silent as people return to this thread.

Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't fully understand what this was: I thought it was one guy giving people more words, not that the winner gets to go.
Ohhh, well that makes sense [:)] Yeah, it's a "winner goes next" type of game, but who wins and how long people have to work on it is up to the person setting the challenge (some people take into account whether people work out the branching, other's just go by how close the reconstruction is, for example).
Just one time.
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Since it's been a while, do y'all mind if I take over? Not to sound impatient.
He/they bisexual weeb
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

CarsonDaConlanger wrote: 11 May 2018 00:51 Since it's been a while, do y'all mind if I take over? Not to sound impatient.
It has been about 3 weeks. If nobody else would object (including Nort) then I'd be happy to see a new challenge go up [:)]
Just one time.
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Since it's been a while with no objections, I'm gonna go ahead and post.
Here are the words in no particular order:
Spoiler:
A ['sa:.jaṷk]
B ['ɕi.tɕ:æŋ]
C ['ʃɛ.kw:ǝ]
D ['aʃ.ɔk:]
E ['ɕi.cɛk]
F ['çi:.k:ǝ]
G ['saj.xɔ:]
H ['ʧɑ:.go]
I [ʃa'ɣɯk]
J ['ʃæ.kxu]
K ['a.zi.ɣɒk]
L [tsa:.ɣɒp]
Here is a map of the languages. (I couldn't get it to turn right side up, so you may want to rotate your screen. Sorry.)
He/they bisexual weeb
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

CarsonDaConlanger wrote: 16 May 2018 15:58 Since it's been a while with no objections, I'm gonna go ahead and post.
Here are the words in no particular order:
Spoiler:
A ['sa:.jaṷk]
B ['ɕi.tɕ:æŋ]
C ['ʃɛ.kw:ǝ]
D ['aʃ.ɔk:]
E ['ɕi.cɛk]
F ['çi:.k:ǝ]
G ['saj.xɔ:]
H ['ʧɑ:.go]
I [ʃa'ɣɯk]
J ['ʃæ.kxu]
K ['a.zi.ɣɒk]
L [tsa:.ɣɒp]
Here is a map of the languages. (I couldn't get it to turn right side up, so you may want to rotate your screen. Sorry.)
As a rough guess:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[ˈtseːkːʌkʷ] > [ceːkːʌk]    > [ˈtʃɛː.kːo]   > [ˈtʃɛː.kːu]   > [ˈʃæ.kːu]     > [ˈʃæ.kxu]
                                                            > [ˈtʃɛ.kʷːu]   > [ˈʃɛ.kʷːə]
                                            > [ˈtʃɛː.ko]    > [ˈtʃæː.go]    > [ˈtʃɑː.go]
                            > [ˈciː.kːʌk]   > [ˈtɕi.kːɛk]   > [ˈɕi.cːɛk]    > [ˈɕi.cɛk]
                                                                            > [ˈɕi.tɕːæʔ] > [ˈɕi.tɕːæŋ]
                                            > [ˈciː.kːʌ]    > [ˈciː.kːə]
             > [ˈtseː.gʌkʷ] > [ˈtseː.ɣʌwkʷ] > [aˈtsiː.ɣɑwk] > [aˈdziː.ɣɑwk] > [ˈa.zi.ɣɒk]
                                            > [ˈtsaː.ɣʌwkʷ] > [ˈtsaː.ɣɑwp]  > [ˈtsaː.ɣɒp]
                                                            > [ˈsaː.ɣau̯k]   > [ˈsaː.jau̯k]
                                                                            > [ˈhaː.ʒau̯k] > [ˈaʃ.ɔkː]
                            > [ˈseː.kɤk]    > [seˈɡɯk]      > [seˈɡɯk]      > [sɛˈɡɯː]
                                                            > [ʃeˈɣɯk]      > [ʃaˈɣɯk]
                                            > [ˈseː.kok]    > [ˈseː.xok]    > [ˈsaj.xoː]
Just one time.
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

sangi39 wrote: 16 May 2018 19:50 As a rough guess:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

[ˈtseːkːʌkʷ] > [ceːkːʌk]    > [ˈtʃɛː.kːo]   > [ˈtʃɛː.kːu]   > [ˈʃæ.kːu]     > [ˈʃæ.kxu]
                                                            > [ˈtʃɛ.kʷːu]   > [ˈʃɛ.kʷːə]
                                            > [ˈtʃɛː.ko]    > [ˈtʃæː.go]    > [ˈtʃɑː.go]
                            > [ˈciː.kːʌk]   > [ˈtɕi.kːɛk]   > [ˈɕi.cːɛk]    > [ˈɕi.cɛk]
                                                                            > [ˈɕi.tɕːæʔ] > [ˈɕi.tɕːæŋ]
                                            > [ˈciː.kːʌ]    > [ˈciː.kːə]
             > [ˈtseː.gʌkʷ] > [ˈtseː.ɣʌwkʷ] > [aˈtsiː.ɣɑwk] > [aˈdziː.ɣɑwk] > [ˈa.zi.ɣɒk]
                                            > [ˈtsaː.ɣʌwkʷ] > [ˈtsaː.ɣɑwp]  > [ˈtsaː.ɣɒp]
                                                            > [ˈsaː.ɣau̯k]   > [ˈsaː.jau̯k]
                                                                            > [ˈhaː.ʒau̯k] > [ˈaʃ.ɔkː]
                            > [ˈseː.kɤk]    > [seˈɡɯk]      > [seˈɡɯk]      > [sɛˈɡɯː]
                                                            > [ʃeˈɣɯk]      > [ʃaˈɣɯk]
                                            > [ˈseː.kok]    > [ˈseː.xok]    > [ˈsaj.xoː]
Interesting. A few of your guess are quite close, but the grouping is off by a lot and other reconstructions off.
Also, bless your heart for assuming I have that much work ethic, but there's nowhere near the number of intermediate forms you put!
He/they bisexual weeb
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

My guess is: ˈtsæk:ɛkʷ . Sorry for not having enough time for a full reconstruction at the moment.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

Creyeditor wrote: 16 May 2018 23:24 My guess is: ˈtsæk:ɛkʷ . Sorry for not having enough time for a full reconstruction at the moment.
Hmm, you and Sangi seem to be on the same page, and moving sort of in the right direction, but not quite there yet.
He/they bisexual weeb
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Wow, I just spent about 2 hours on this, but while I was working on it, the CBB logged me out so when I tried to submit it, so I lost everything. I might try again later.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Here's my second, less detailed attempt.

I've assumed that word "L" has initial stress. Also, one of the words on the map isn't listed in the original post, so I've labeled it "M".
Spoiler:
Group 1 (Northeast):
B ['ɕi.tɕːæŋ]
E ['ɕi.cɛk]
F ['çiː.kːǝ]
< *[ˈɕi.kːɛk] (Proto-Northeast)

Group 2 (Northwest):
C ['ʃɛ.kʷːǝ]
H ['tʃɑː.go]
J ['ʃæ.kxu]
< *[ˈtʃa.kːo] (Proto-Northwest)

PNE *[ˈɕi.kːɛk]
PNW *[ˈtʃa.kːo]
< *[tsaj.kːɔk] (Proto-North)

Group 3 (Southwest):
I [ʃa'ɣɯk]
M [sɛˈgɯː]
< *[sajˈgɯːk] (Proto-Southwest)

Group 4 (Southeast):
A ['saː.jaṷk]
D ['aʃ.ɔkː]
G ['saj.xɔː]
K ['a.zi.ɣɒk]
L [ˈtsaː.ɣɒp]
< *[ˈsaj.xau̯kː] (Proto-Southeast)

PSW *[sajˈgɯːk]
PSE *[ˈsaj.xau̯kː]
< *[ˈsaj.kuːk] (Proto-South)

PN *[ˈtsaj.kːɔk]
PS *[ˈsaj.kuːk]
< *[ˈtsaj.kːok] (Proto-World)
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

shimobaatar wrote: 19 May 2018 00:34 Wow, I just spent about 2 hours on this, but while I was working on it, the CBB logged me out so when I tried to submit it, so I lost everything. I might try again later.
Dang man, it's things like that that cause me to save after inserting a comma in a word doc. You can never be too careful!
shimobaatar wrote: 19 May 2018 02:02 Here's my second, less detailed attempt.

I've assumed that word "L" has initial stress. Also, one of the words on the map isn't listed in the original post, so I've labeled it "M".
Spoiler:
Group 1 (Northeast):
B ['ɕi.tɕːæŋ]
E ['ɕi.cɛk]
F ['çiː.kːǝ]
< *[ˈɕi.kːɛk] (Proto-Northeast)

Group 2 (Northwest):
C ['ʃɛ.kʷːǝ]
H ['tʃɑː.go]
J ['ʃæ.kxu]
< *[ˈtʃa.kːo] (Proto-Northwest)

PNE *[ˈɕi.kːɛk]
PNW *[ˈtʃa.kːo]
< *[tsaj.kːɔk] (Proto-North)

Group 3 (Southwest):
I [ʃa'ɣɯk]
M [sɛˈgɯː]
< *[sajˈgɯːk] (Proto-Southwest)

Group 4 (Southeast):
A ['saː.jaṷk]
D ['aʃ.ɔkː]
G ['saj.xɔː]
K ['a.zi.ɣɒk]
L [ˈtsaː.ɣɒp]
< *[ˈsaj.xau̯kː] (Proto-Southeast)

PSW *[sajˈgɯːk]
PSE *[ˈsaj.xau̯kː]
< *[ˈsaj.kuːk] (Proto-South)

PN *[ˈtsaj.kːɔk]
PS *[ˈsaj.kuːk]
< *[ˈtsaj.kːok] (Proto-World)
Man you're really really close on a few of your proto-forms as well as your proto-world. However your grouping is off (subfamilies didn't necessarily form homologous blocks, so don't trust areal grouping too much). I will say you grouped NE correctly, and almost got the proto-form correct. The four proto-langs come directly from proto-world though.
He/they bisexual weeb
CarsonDaConlanger
sinic
sinic

At the end of the day tomorrow, I won't be able to post very often, so I will declare a winner then, and pass this off. Thanks to those of you who participated!
He/they bisexual weeb