cuneiform

My invented language

Post by teengirlsquad »

mira
greek
greek

Re: My invented language

Post by mira »

Interesting. Can we see some info on it? A phonology and Romanisation would be a good start, then maybe some grammar?
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

BTW, what does it sound like to you?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

OTʜᴇB wrote:Interesting. Can we see some info on it? A phonology and Romanisation would be a good start, then maybe some grammar?
Phonology-wise, what you see is what you get, but as for anything unusual about the phonology, it would be the use of uh to represent schwas and dh to represent soft th's. Also, y in my invented language is a Finnish y, not an English y. http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showth ... d-language
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

It sounds very English. I can hear a lot of English words in it. Does it use English as a proto-language or ancestor?
teengirlsquad wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:Interesting. Can we see some info on it? A phonology and Romanisation would be a good start, then maybe some grammar?
Phonology-wise, what you see is what you get, but as for anything unusual about the phonology, it would be the use of uh to represent schwas and dh to represent soft th's. Also, y in my invented language is a Finnish y, not an English y. http://www.forumbiodiversity.com/showth ... d-language
Interesting. Can we see it properly laid out in IPA? It's very helpful as "English y" could mean anything from /j/ to /i/ for me, and probably something different to say a Geordie.

EDIT: Here's an example of a phonology from one of my conlangs:
/ p b t d k ɡ / 〈 p b t d k g 〉
/ m w n ɾ l~ɫ ŋ j / 〈 m w n r l ŋ j 〉
/ i ɯ e o æ / 〈 i u e o a 〉

IPA allows everyone to know exactly how a language is pronounced regardless of interpretations due to accent or dialect. For example, if someone says a word is pronounced "or-tum", then you could get all sorts of different pronunciations like /ɔ˞tʌm/, /ɔʔəm/, or /ɔtum/, but as soon as you tell everyone it's pronounced /ˈɔ.təm/, everybody can say it the same.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Welcome to the CBB!

It basically sounds based off English with mostly English sounds and English words rearranged with some foreign or unique words thrown in there.

I listened and took a stab at the phonology and got the following on a one time pass:

m n ŋ
b t d k g ʔ
f v ð s z
l ɹ j w

i ɪ u
ɛ ʌ o
ä

ai aʊ ɔɪ ua

I don't know for sure you've made a cipher or not but that is quite different from an entire language. A cipher is like a code used to obscure a message like a system like pig latin does. What O to the B says about the usefulness of the IPA is spot on the nose. It is almost essential for this hobby :)

Can you describe some things about your language like the grammar and sound system yourself?
Last edited by Nachtuil on 25 Mar 2017 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Haven't listened to the youtube link, but I would presume that Finnishy means agglutinating. Can't tell though, as I haven't seen the link.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

teengirlsquad wrote:BTW, what does it sound like to you?
Taglish ba. Especially the "mizmo fasyon" bit. The accent to me sound Tagalog.

Is this your first foray into the wonderful world of glossopoesy (the fashioning of tongues)?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

teengirlsquad wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM_HYl_pMmA
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

teengirlsquad wrote:
Phonology-wise, what you see is what you get, but as for anything unusual about the phonology, it would be the use of uh to represent schwas and dh to represent soft th's. Also, y in my invented language is a Finnish y, not an English y.
That's not phonology (how the language sounds), that's orthography (how the language is written down).
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

So. . .were any of the answers close? As expected? Totally off the chart?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

elemtilas wrote:
Did you also spot the Finnish loanwords?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

teengirlsquad wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Alas no, that wasn't me! But I wouldn't know Finnish from Karelian or Hungarian!

So, Tagalog was nowhere close!?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

elemtilas wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:
elemtilas wrote:
Alas no, that wasn't me! But I wouldn't know Finnish from Karelian or Hungarian!

So, Tagalog was nowhere close!?
There is Tagalog there too, yes, but you only guessed because of my accent and not because of any loanwords, because in the clips, there aren't many of them.
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

Your original video and the others sound like English with a completely altered grammar with some East-Asian-sounding words thrown in, to my ears.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Frislander wrote:Your original video and the others sound like English with a completely altered grammar with some East-Asian-sounding words thrown in, to my ears.
Well, I mean, I'm pretty sure that can be used to describe any language.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

qwed117 wrote:
Frislander wrote:Your original video and the others sound like English with a completely altered grammar with some East-Asian-sounding words thrown in, to my ears.
But in this case it was almost like a text written in English with the words rearranged and some then replaced with forms from other languages/a priori.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

Frislander wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
But in this case it was almost like a text written in English with the words rearranged and some then replaced with forms from other languages/a priori.
I only speak two languages, that's why.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

teengirlsquad wrote:
Frislander wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
I only speak two languages, that's why.
I can speak 1.01 languages (the 0.01 is French that I learned to GCSE and haven't used in well over a year) and even my first language had pretty much nothing in common with English.