Gotski

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
spanick
roman
roman

Re: Gutisk

Post by spanick »

Nominal Morphology
Tözisk Gutisk joins the Balkan Sprachbund by the merging of the dative with the genitive. It has also lost the vocative and instrumental. There has also been significant leveling and regularization although the four basic declensions still remain intact.

First Declension
Masculine Singular/Plural
Nom. -s/-as
Acc. --/-as
Gen. -s/-as

Neuter Singular/Plural
Nom. --/-as
Acc. --/-as
Gen. -s/-as

Feminine Singular/Plural
Nom. --/-os
Acc. --/-os
Gen. -os/-as

Second Declension
All Genders Singular/Plural
Nom. -s/-es
Acc. -i/-es
Gen. -s/-es

All Genders when ends in coronal
Nom. -(i)/-es
Acc. -(i)/-es
Gen. -(i)/-(i)

-(i) indicates palatization of the preceding consonant.

Third Declension
Masculine & Feminine Singular/Plural
Nom. -os/-üs
Acc. -u/-os
Gen. -os/-ü

Neuter
Nom. -u/-os
Acc. -u/-is
Gen. -os/-ü

Fourth Declension
Masculine & Neuter Singular/Plural
Nom. --/-an
Acc. -an/-an
Gen. -ens/-an

Feminine Singular/Plural
Nom. -o/-on
Acc. -on/-on
Gen. -ons/-on

Adjective Declension
Strong/weak distinction in adjectives is lost in favor of the strong declension which has undergone some leveling and regularization.

Masculine/Neuter/Feminine/Plural
Nom. -s/--/-o/-os
Acc. -an/--/-o/-os
Gen. -as/-as/-ero/ero

Pronouns

Personal pronouns
First Person Singular/Plural
Nom. ek/ves
Acc. mek/os
Gen. men/oser

Second Person Singular/Plural
Nom. tu/er
Acc. tek/erös
Gen. ten/erör

Third Person Masculine/Neuter/Feminine/Plural
Nom. es/et/se/jos
Acc. en/et/ja/jos
Gen. es/es/ero/ero

Interrogative Pronouns
who/what
Nom. hos/hot
Acc. hon/hot
Gen. hös/hös

Reflexive Pronoun
The reflexive pronoun is seob and is declined like an adjective. It is used alone for all persons and numbers.

Demonstrative Pronoun
The demonstrative pronoun is jen and is declined like an adjective. It functions for both this/that in English.

Relative Pronouns
hos and hot function as relative pronouns for introducing relative clauses which refer to people (hos) or other nouns (hot).

The former relative particle now surfaces as te and is used only in a conjunctive way to subordinate clauses such as English "that" or German "dass"
Last edited by spanick on 04 Jan 2018 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Verb Morphology
Again, there's been some leveling and simplification. The subjunctive endings have merged into one set. There are two conjugation classes. The first class has the infinitive marked with -n the second class has the infinitive marked with -in. The first class is by far the most common. The second is a relic of some old causatives. The second class is unique in that the -i is present as part of the stem. Stems which have a coronal coda palatalize and the -i does not surface.

Personal Endings
Present Indicative Singular/Plural
1 --/-am
2 -s/-ad
3 -d/-an

Preterit Singular/Plural - Weak verbs generally add -ez before personal endings.
1 --/-om
2 -s/-od
3 --/-on

Subjunctive Singular/Plural
1 -o/-em
2 -es/-ed
3 -e/-en

Passives not longer have verbal conjugation and rely entirely on periphrastic constructions

Participles
Present: -ads
Past: -ans

Strong Verb Ablauts
These don't differ greatly from the church language except for the simplification of the diphthongs as described above.

EDIT: Class three, which was composed of nasal vowels merged with class four after the loss of nasalization.

Class Infinitive/Past/Past Participle
1 a, i, ö, ü/i, ü/i, ü
2a ö, ü/u, o/u
2b a, u/u, o/u
3 e, ö/a, o/u
4 e, ö/a, o/e, ö
5 a, o/u, o/a, o

Verbs: Perfective/Imperfective
The inherent (im)perfective aspect of verbs has not changed in Tözisk.

Verb Tenses
Only the tenses which have significant changes will be presented here.

Future: the future can often be indicated by the perfective present form which in context or in conjunction with an adverb indicates the future: After ek em mek tohans, ek gamaca "After I wash myself, I will eat.". In more formal or academic language, the construction of veljn plus the infinitive still exists. However, in daily speech, a different construction is most common: the conjugated perfective of 'veljn' followed by the (impferective or perfective) conjugated subjunctive (without pronoun) of the main verb which is introduced by 'te'. Ex: Ek gavelj te (ga)maco. "I will (be) eat(ing)."

Imperative
The imperative is most commonly formed by fronting the subjunctive and dropping the pronoun: Maces! "Eat!" The older form of using the indicative still exists but would normally be considered quite rude or used in emergency situations.

Passive
The passive endings have been lost in Tözisk and entirely replaced by the periphrastic construction: using the conjugated form (either imperfective or perfective) of verdn followed by the past participle is used Gers gaverd verpans 'The spear is thrown.'

The agent of a passive is introduced as a prepositional phrase with fram (+gen): Boka verd fram men. 'The book is being written by me.'
Last edited by spanick on 10 Jul 2017 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Conhistory
The history of the Gutisk following the establishment of the Gothic-Greek Catholic Church closely follows that of the real life Montenegro. The area enjoyed a unique level of autonomy within the Ottoman Empire but nonetheless the Gutisk chaffed against their Ottoman overlords and joined in the Great Ottoman War after which the Kingdom of Svartsberg (Rič Svartsbergs) was founded.

Border wars with the Ottomans were quite common with Svartsberg slowly gaining more territory. After the conclusion of the Balkan Wars, definite borders were arranged between Svartsberg and its neighbors: Serbia, Albania, and Austria-Hungary.

During the First World War, Svartsberg joined on the side of the Allies. By 1916, the country had been occupied and the King and other government officials fled to France. The bishops (who were also members of the Ričmot (Parliament) and the Archbishop (nominally co-regent) did not flee. At the conclusion of the war, Svartsberg was annexed into the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. This was a cause of frequent, but short lived, insurrections.

During the Second World War, the Germans invaded Yugoslavia and created a Svartsberg puppet state. The Gutisk were quite ambivalent towards their Nazi occupiers. They were quite glad to be rid of the rule of Yugoslavia but were very wary of the Nazis. The archbishop in particular was very anti-Nazi. All things being equal, the Gutisk faired rather well during the war. Hitler and Himmler were quite interested in this group of Germanic speaking peoples in the Balkans and the Ahnenerba presence was quite strong. That being said, the puppet government was complicit in the massacre and ethnic cleansing of Slavic and Romani minorities in Svartsberg. As the end of the war approached and the Yugoslav Partisans began to liberate the country, the Svartsberg resistance finally gained enough momentum to liberate itself. After the war, Svartsberg gained its independence from Yugoslavia becoming the Republic of Svartsberg (Republik Svartsbergs) in 1946.

Tensions ran high between Svartsberg and Yugoslavia during the Cold War. Svartsberg had managed to resist communist control and eventually joined NATO in 1956, putting it on the front lines of the great ideological divide of the 20th century. It's membership in NATO initially protected it from the War but by 1995, Svartsberg was at war with Serbia and the Svartsbergish Serb rebels. In 1999, the war ended for Svartsberg. Many of the ethnic Serbs had left after the war to Serbia. Svartsberg received about 25,000 ethnic Gutisk refugees, mostly from southern Serbia.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Here's a list of the top 10 most populous cities in Svartsberg. I've included the corresponding Montenegrin name. I have not come up with a name for Ražaje. Cetinje, Berane, and Tivat likely don't have drastically different names because these cities were founded in the Middle Ages by Slavs. In the modern era, they are still most heavily slavic but are significantly smaller in size than in the real life Montenegro.

Montenegrin/Tözisk Gutisk
Zeta/Losk
Podgorica/Dzoku
Nikšić/Angast
Pljevlja/Monjičip
Herceg Novi/Nüborgs
Budva/Bodva
Bijelo Polje/Hötafeod
Bar/Ativaž
Ulcinj/Olčenj
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Very cool. Interesting how Gutisk preserved the final -n whereas most germanic languages lost it. (This also happens in my Iberian Gothic, except with an epithetic -e between /n/ and /s/.)
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Ælfwine wrote:Very cool. Interesting how Gutisk preserved the final -n whereas most germanic languages lost it. (This also happens in my Iberian Gothic, except with an epithetic -e between /n/ and /s/.)
Thanks. Are you referring to the final /n/ in the genitive?

I realized that according to the sound changes I laid out the word Gutisk should actually be Gotesk...which I hate. However, I can see the Slavic influence and metathesis yielding Gotski...which I'm cool with. This may be the new name for this language.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Useful Phrases (I swear I'll get back to the grammar eventually)
For your convenience, I have opted to use only the Latin Orthography. It should be noted that <er> "you (pl)" is also used as the polite singular, which is why I've given both informal and formal translations of some phrases. Also the combination <td> is simply pronounced /t/. The use of moli vs molim depends on the speaker. Moli is used when the speaker is speaking in the first person singular while molim while speaking in the plural, which is done for polite effect or to speak on behalf of a group or organization.

Welcome - Veljkom
Hello - Hels, Čau, Zdravo
Goodbye - Medgož, Abgamucanj, Čau
Good morning - Gudan morgen
Good day/afternoon- Gudan dag
Good evening - Gudan ivad
Good night - Gudo naht
My name is.... - Ek hat mek....
What is your name? - Hu hats tu tek?; Hu hatad er erös?
How are you? - Hu er tu?; Hu erod er?
How do you say X in Gothic? - Hu közd man X ab Gotski?
Please -Moli(m)
Thank you - Takas, Hvala
Where is... - Hor est...?
...the toilette - toalet
...the hotel - hotel
...the embassy - ambasad
...the airport - lufthabn
...the museum - muse
...the train station - asanvegstanic
How much does this cost? - Hufelu kostd jens?
spanick
roman
roman

Re: Gotski

Post by spanick »

I'm thinking about recreating the orthography for Old Gotski (the ecclesial language) based off of Gothic script. It has the downside of employing many more digraphs. I also opted to include a couple redundant letters for historical spellings. This is what I have so far:

/p t k b d g/ <𐍀 𐍄 𐌺~𐌵 𐌱 𐌳 𐌲>
/ts dz tʃ dʒ/ <𐍄𐌾 𐌳𐌾 𐌺𐌾 𐌲𐌾>
/f θ s ʃ ʒ x/ <𐍆 𐌸 𐍃 𐍃𐌾 𐌶 𐌷~𐍈>
/m n ɲ/ <𐌼 𐌽 𐌽𐌾>
/ʋ j/ <𐍅 𐌾>
/l λ/ <𐌻 𐌻𐌾>
/r/ <𐍂>

/i y u/ <𐌹 𐌹~𐌹𐌿 𐌿>
/e ø o/ <𐌴 𐌴~𐌴𐍉 𐍉>
/a/ <𐌰>
/ẽ õ ã/ <𐌴𐌼 𐍉𐌼 𐌰𐌼> (before a consonant)
/ie uø uo/ <𐌹𐌴 𐌿𐌴 𐌿𐍉>
/oy ai au/ <𐍉𐌹 𐌰𐌹 𐌰𐌿>

𐌺 and 𐌵 are pronounced the same, the difference is that 𐌵 signals rounding of the following vowel. This same rule is applied to 𐌷 and 𐍈 and is responsible for the alteration between 𐌹 and 𐌹𐌿 and 𐌴 and 𐌴𐍉. Similarly, when 𐍅 is preceded by a consonant but followed by a vowel, it rounds the vowel and is not itself pronounced.

Some examples:
𐍆𐌴𐌼𐍆 /fẽf/ "five"
𐍃𐍅𐌰𐍂𐍄𐍃 /sorts/ "black"
𐌵𐌴𐌼𐌰𐌽 /køman/ "to come"
𐌸𐌰𐌼𐌺𐌾𐌰𐌽 /θãtʃan/ "to think"
𐍃𐍄𐌴𐍉𐍂𐍃 /størs/
𐍃𐌻𐌾𐌴𐍀𐌰𐌽 /ʃλepan/ "to sleep" (in this example, the 𐍃 automatically assimilates to the palatalization of 𐌻𐌾)

Thoughts?
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Still experimenting with using a Gothic-based script, I've written our the Our Father in it and the current Romanization. I may develop a new Romanization which is more reflective of the Gothic script, since this Romanization is heavily influenced by Slavic conventions.

𐌰𐍄𐌰 𐍉𐌼𐍃𐌴𐍂𐍃 𐌸𐌴 𐌴𐌽 𐌷𐌹𐌼𐌴𐌽𐌴,
𐌸𐌴𐌽 𐌽𐌰𐌼𐌰 𐌲𐌰𐍅𐌴𐍂𐌸𐌴 𐍅𐌹𐌴𐌷𐌹𐌰𐌽𐍃.
𐌸𐌴𐌽𐍃 𐌸𐍉𐌹𐌸𐌰𐌽𐌲𐌰𐍂𐌳𐍃 𐌲𐌰𐌵𐌰𐌼𐌴,
𐌸𐌴𐌽 𐍅𐌴𐌻𐌾𐌰 𐌲𐌰𐍅𐌴𐍂𐌸𐌴 𐌲𐍉𐌽𐍃
𐌰𐌽 𐌴𐍂𐌸𐌴𐍉 𐍃𐍉𐌷𐍉 𐌴𐌽 𐌷𐌹𐌼𐌴𐌽𐌴.
𐌲𐌰𐌾𐌴𐍅𐍃 𐌸𐌿 𐍉𐌼𐍃𐌴𐍃 𐍃𐌴𐌼𐍄𐌹𐌽 𐌱𐍂𐍉𐌸 𐍉𐌼𐍃𐌴𐍂
𐌾𐌰𐌷 𐌰𐌱𐌻𐌾𐌴𐍄𐍃 𐌸𐌿 𐍃𐌺𐍉𐌻𐌳𐌴𐍃 𐍉𐌼𐍃𐌴𐍂𐍉𐍃
𐍃𐍉𐌷𐍉 𐍅𐌴𐍃 𐌴𐍂𐍉𐌼 𐌰𐌱𐌻𐌾𐌴𐍄𐌰𐌽𐍃 𐍃𐌺𐍉𐌻𐌳𐌰𐌽 𐍉𐌼𐍃𐌴𐍂𐌰𐌽.
𐌾𐌰𐌷 𐌽𐌴 𐌱𐍂𐌴𐌼𐌲𐍃 𐌸𐌿 𐍉𐌼𐍃 𐌴𐌽 𐍆𐍂𐌹𐌴𐍃𐌹𐌸𐌰
𐌴𐌸 𐌻𐌿𐍉𐍃𐌾𐌰𐍃 𐌸𐌿 𐍉𐌼𐍃 𐌰𐌱 𐌿𐍅𐌹𐌻𐌴. 𐌰𐌼𐌴𐌽.

Ata ǫsers þe er en himene,
þen nama gaverþe viehians.
Þens þoüþangards gaköme,
þen vilja gaverþe dons
an erþö soho en himene.
Gajevs þu ǫses sętin broþ ǫser
jah abljets þu skoldęs ǫseros
soho ves erom abljetans skolan ǫseran.
Jah ne bręgs þu ǫs en friesiþa
eþ luošas þu ǫs ab uvile. Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
They kingdom come,
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses
as we have forgiven those who have trespassed against us
and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

There’s a few changes and additions I’m making to Gotski, in particular for Ekljeski Jęsük. I’ll mention the changes here, and make them in the respective sections above when I have more time.

(1) The first change concerns the preterite. I had done very little to it other than add the imperfective/perfective distinction. I found that system inadequate and somewhat confused. Instead, the preterite will shift to the aorist

Aorist: the aorist is used to refer to past actions without reference to aspect. It is also used to indicated gnomic past events and habitual past events. It is constructed by vowel ablaut in strong verbs and by the weak suffix for most week verbs.

(2) The second change concerns noun cases. I had originally intended to explain how OCS influence EJ’s use of cases. These are couple with some of the common Germanic uses of case to create a somewhat complicated system. Bear in mind that EJ is a liturgical language and is somewhat archaic and uses more OCS influenced grammar than the spoken language of the same era would.

Nominative: the nominative case is used to mark the grammatical subject of clauses.

Accusative: the accusative can be used in several ways
- it is used to mark the direct object of most clauses
- it is used in expressions of time
- some prepositions use accusative exclusively
- some prepositions can take either accusative or dative. In these prepositions, the accusative use indicates motion.

Dative: the dative can be used in several ways
- it is used to mark the indirect object
- some prepositions use dative exclusively
- some prepositions can take either accusative or dative. In these prepositions, the dative indications a stable location or state of being

Genitive: the genitive is used a couple ways
- it is used to mark possession
- it is used with some verbs which regularly take the genitive
- it is used with some verbs which normally take the accusative but the use of the genitive denotes a part of a whole
- it is used in negated “there is...” statements

Instrumental: the instrumental is used in several ways
- it can be used to indicate the tool, object of person by which an action was carried out
- It can be used as the comitative
- It can be used with the sense “with respect to”
- some prepositions use the instrumental exclusively

(3) I will also be introducing a new defective verb bön which only has third person present forms [b/]büþ[/b]/böþ which are used exclusively for the copular phrases “There is...” and “There are...”

(4) I neglected to indicate the reflexive pronouns. In EJ the reflexive pronoun sek is used for all persons and numbers except for the first person and second person singular which use mek and þek respectively.

(5) I would also like to expand upon the difference between strong and weak adjective endings. Originally I only indicated that strong endings indicated definiteness and weak endings were indefinite. That is still the case but there are other shades of meaning as well.

Possessive pronouns are primarily declined using the strong endings to indicate definite possession. If the weak endings are used, it indicated that the item possessed is part of a whole or one of many.

Ex: Mens hǫds morþžeþ katu. “My dog killed a cat.”
but...
Ex: Mena hǫds morþžeþ katu. “A dog of mine killed a cat.”

With humans, it can have this meaning too but it can also be used as a way of indicating that the relationship is not particularly strong. When used in this manner in reference to a close relationship it can be rude, depending on context. The quintessential example of these uses is with frönds “friend”.

Est mens frönds. “He is my friend.”
Est mena frönds. “He’s a friend of mine.” Or “He’s an acquaintance.”

When speaking about personal opinions, beliefs, likes or dislikes, the endings indicate how strongly held that position is. Strong endings mean the person holds it relatively certainly while weak endings mean some degree of uncertainty. One can also speak about other’s opinions using the weaving endings to indicate one’s dubiousness in their opinion.

Nu, jena est þena biþąks. “Well, that’s your opinion.”

(6) The final change is like to make concerns the perfectivity of verbs. Unmarked verbs will still be considered inherently imperfective but now any prefix will cause the verb to become perfective and usually change its meaning:

mieljan “to write” (impf)
anmieljan “to enroll” (pf)
uvermieljan “to edit” (pf)
framieljan “to prescribe” (pf)