Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
lsd
greek
greek

Re: Conaccents or invented accents of natlangs

Post by lsd »

In natural languages, it should be noted that often the accents (and local idiomatics) come from a recessive (or even disappeared) linguistic substratum of the territory or origin of immigrant population...

The conlangs are indeed recursive languages, they could give rise to original accents... if their creators really use them...

And could you imagine the recessive language phonology from an ex nihilo conaccent...
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

lsd wrote:In natural languages, it should be noted that often the accents (and local idiomatics) come from a recessive (or even disappeared) linguistic substratum of the territory or origin of immigrant population...

The conlangs are indeed recursive languages, they could give rise to original accents... if their creators really use them...

And could you imagine the recessive language phonology from an ex nihilo conaccent...
Did you see my latest video? What does my invented accent sound like there?
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Stephen Hawking at the bottom of a septic tank...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

teengirlsquad wrote:Did you see my latest video? What does my invented accent sound like there?
lsd wrote:Stephen Hawking at the bottom of a septic tank...
I think that's from the quality of the recording, and/or the background noise, rather than the conaccent itself.
I could be wrong.
I hope teengirlsquad didn't take offense at lsd's post; I doubt any offense was intended.
@teengirlsquad, I hope you keep participating on this CBBoard!
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Sure, it was a joke...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

That's a lot clearer, I think. I understand more and longer stretches of the utterances.
I still have no idea what influences there are. You'd have to tell me.

[hr][/hr]

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between an accent and a speech-impediment. My relatives and neighbors and friends have sometimes been thought to have an impediment by people who were newbies to our accents (and indeed to all accents other than their own, in most cases!).

A person who is used to very many accents, and is interested in them, can sometimes mistake an impediment for an accent!
I did this; a young person was serving me and I thought her accent interesting, so I asked her about it. She said "it's not an accent, it's a speech impediment".
I was sorry I hurt her feelings, but I thought too slow.
Later -- too late to say it to her -- it occurred to me that it wasn't much of an impediment because her speech wasn't very impeded -- I understood her perfectly, I just thought she had an interesting accent.
Of course, when she was younger, it may have been more of an impediment. And, of course, if you get made fun of for something for a few years when you're 15 and younger, you're not going to be completely over it by your middle 20s.

[hr][/hr]

Executive summary;
No, @teengirlsquad, I still can't tell what RL accents influenced your conaccent.
Will you tell us, please?
(If you're ready to!)
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

eldin raigmore wrote:
That's a lot clearer, I think. I understand more and longer stretches of the utterances.
I still have no idea what influences there are. You'd have to tell me.

[hr][/hr]

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between an accent and a speech-impediment. My relatives and neighbors and friends have sometimes been thought to have an impediment by people who were newbies to our accents (and indeed to all accents other than their own, in most cases!).

A person who is used to very many accents, and is interested in them, can sometimes mistake an impediment for an accent!
I did this; a young person was serving me and I thought her accent interesting, so I asked her about it. She said "it's not an accent, it's a speech impediment".
I was sorry I hurt her feelings, but I thought too slow.
Later -- too late to say it to her -- it occurred to me that it wasn't much of an impediment because her speech wasn't very impeded -- I understood her perfectly, I just thought she had an interesting accent.
Of course, when she was younger, it may have been more of an impediment. And, of course, if you get made fun of for something for a few years when you're 15 and younger, you're not going to be completely over it by your middle 20s.

[hr][/hr]

Executive summary;
No, @teengirlsquad, I still can't tell what RL accents influenced your conaccent.
Will you tell us, please?
(If you're ready to!)
I'm not gonna say all of the influences right now, but there are some influences of the Raccoon Girl from Teen Girl Squad, or the show that inspired my username. (The stretched vowels and vocal fry, I mean. Kind of a subtle influence though.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QoakRwtoaU
Last edited by teengirlsquad on 25 Jun 2017 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

As I understand it, utterance-final vocal fry is a common diachronic prelude to utterance-final devoicing, in some natlangs or natlects.
Also in some RL natlects there's utterance-final vowel-stretching; but I would guess those two tendencies would militate against each other (I am no expert, though, so that's just a guess!).

(BTW utterance-final stuff sometimes migrates to sentence-final stuff, then clause-final stuff, then phrase-final stuff, then word-final stuff. Look what's happened to so many word-final syllables in French, e.g.)

Vowel-stretching the emphasized word, or morpheme, or major-stressed syllable thereof, also happens IRL; and I think probably could happen at the same time and in the same 'lect as the final vocal fry.

I had never before heard of Teen Girl Squad, and didn't know what it was.
I'd never have guessed that as an influence.
Makes me think I also would never guess most of your other influences.
I think maybe I'd be lucky to peer past the age-gap between my 65 years and your however-many; are some of the influences things that are likely to be familiar to both of us?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

eldin raigmore wrote:As I understand it, utterance-final vocal fry is a common diachronic prelude to utterance-final devoicing, in some natlangs or natlects.
Also in some RL natlects there's utterance-final vowel-stretching; but I would guess those two tendencies would militate against each other (I am no expert, though, so that's just a guess!).

(BTW utterance-final stuff sometimes migrates to sentence-final stuff, then clause-final stuff, then phrase-final stuff, then word-final stuff. Look what's happened to so many word-final syllables in French, e.g.)

Vowel-stretching the emphasized word, or morpheme, or major-stressed syllable thereof, also happens IRL; and I think probably could happen at the same time and in the same 'lect as the final vocal fry.

I think maybe I'd be lucky to peer past the age-gap between my 65 years and your however-many; are some of the influences things that are likely to be familiar to both of us?
BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

teengirlsquad wrote:BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
I'd think a teenager from California's West Coast, who sometimes liked to talk falsetto for some reason.
That'd be my first and best guess, but I suppose there'd be more to it.
I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

teengirlsquad wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:As I understand it, utterance-final vocal fry is a common diachronic prelude to utterance-final devoicing, in some natlangs or natlects.

BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
Any other opinions?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

teengirlsquad wrote:BTW, if you were to hear my conaccent in real life, where would you think the person who said it would be from?
Any other opinions?
. . .
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

On second thought there might be some U.K.-ishness there.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

eldin raigmore wrote:
I'd think a teenager from California's West Coast, who sometimes liked to talk falsetto for some reason.
That'd be my first and best guess, but I suppose there'd be more to it.
I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
But I'm not from Singapore.
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

TBH, I heavily revamped my conaccent in my latest video because the other times, it only sounded like an inarticulate American accent.
Last edited by teengirlsquad on 30 Jun 2017 13:06, edited 3 times in total.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

teengirlsquad wrote:TBH, I heavily revamped my conaccent in the latest video because the other times, it only sounded like an inarticulate American accent.
No your exaggerated accent doesn't sound particularly Singaporean, though your native Tagalog and Malay are both Austronesian languages. There are a lot of non-borrowed words that are the same and mean the same thing (anak, kami, lima, langit, etc.) The processes of code-switching and combining with English are similar in both countries (Singlish / Taglish). The education is also similar in both where "English" is the medium of education, but not even the teachers are really aware how to speak or enunciate English.

It's no surprise that some whiff of Singaporean should show up in your exaggerated speech form!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

teengirlsquad wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
Well,
in the first place, we're talking about your creatively-made-up conaccent, not your real-life natural accent;
in the second place I said I wasn't confident and didn't think I really knew enough about Singlish to have any confidence;
in the third place you said to guess, and if I had to guess, that might be part of my guess, but given my ignorance I probably would have preferred not to guess.

I'd guess you're also not from California?
And, based on your appearance and the sound of your voice, aren't a girl?
Also, if you're still a teen, I'd guess you're past or close to eighteen; if not still a teen, still shy of 25 (maybe close to 21?).

All of the above are just guesses on my part. I will not be at all embarrassed to find out any or even all of them are in error.
I will, however, be chagrinned if my errors offend you; I hope they don't!

Are the characters in Teen Girl Squad supposed to be Californian? Or other West Coast USAnian? Or Hawaiian?
Are its creators men from California or the West Coast or Hawaii? I'd guess so.

What about my saying that, if forced to guess, I'd say I detected a bit of UK influence there?
teengirlsquad
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by teengirlsquad »

eldin raigmore wrote:
teengirlsquad wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:I don't really know what Singapore English sounds like, but based on what I think I know, I might also guess some influence from Singlish. I wouldn't be confident at all, though.
Well,
in the first place, we're talking about your creatively-made-up conaccent, not your real-life natural accent;
in the second place I said I wasn't confident and didn't think I really knew enough about Singlish to have any confidence;
in the third place you said to guess, and if I had to guess, that might be part of my guess, but given my ignorance I probably would have preferred not to guess.

I'd guess you're also not from California?
And, based on your appearance and the sound of your voice, aren't a girl?
Also, if you're still a teen, I'd guess you're past or close to eighteen; if not still a teen, still shy of 25 (maybe close to 21?).

All of the above are just guesses on my part. I will not be at all embarrassed to find out any or even all of them are in error.
I will, however, be chagrinned if my errors offend you; I hope they don't!

Are the characters in Teen Girl Squad supposed to be Californian? Or other West Coast USAnian? Or Hawaiian?
Are its creators men from California or the West Coast or Hawaii? I'd guess so.

What about my saying that, if forced to guess, I'd say I detected a bit of UK influence there?
I do have a bunch of vlogs where I talk in my natural voice though.