Watu: New Auxlang after 11 days of work

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Watu: New Auxlang after 11 days of work

Post by holbuzvala »

So, I was looking at Toki Pona and I thought I could make something similar. I doodled for a few days, and I've come up with what I am calling "Watu".

Phonology:

p t k
m n
l s
w j

a i u

Naturally, because it's only really important the contrast between the sounds, <p> can be realised as /b/ or /ph/; and <w> as /v/ etc etc.

Syllables:
CV
CVn
V

with /wu/ and /ji/ not allowed.

Tidbit 1:
I generated the root words using a computer program to maximise the distribution of sounds across the language, and to assign each word at random. This is because I noticed Toki Pona has a vast proliferation of <l>s in it, which, considering the rest of the phonology, seems like it ought to be rarer, or at least in equal distribution with the other words.

However, when I have two roots that form an antonym pair (good-bad, hot-cold, push-pull), I make sure that they share no onset consonants, nor the same vowel structure across the word to ensure distinctness.

I also thought it would be good to have the words generated randomly in case I accidentally end up Euro-centric, or fall into that pitfall of 'borrowing' token words from many extant langs but changing them so much that they're unrecognisable anyways.

Grammar:

The name of the game is simplicity, in case the phonology hadn't given that away. So, for words that can, they can function as verbs, nouns, prepositions, and adjectives. Allow me to elucidate, with a nice antonym pair:

"nupu" - stuff to do with movement towards object

1. transitive verb meaning 'to push'
2. preposition meaning 'towards, to, into'
3. intransitive verb meaning 'to go (towards)'

"mikin" - stuff to do with movement away from object

1. transitive verb meaning 'to take, pull'
2. preposition meaning 'from, away from, out of'
3. intransitive verb meaning 'to come (from, out from)'

Or an example with things that can be nouns as well:

"pawa"
1. trans verb 'to drink'
2.noun 'water, liquid'

"juma"
1. trans verb 'to eat'
2. noun 'food, meal'

Grittier Grammar (but not very gritty):

Well, probably more fun for you all to figure it out, eh? So, with the word list supplied (inc. words above), and the translations of the sentences, tell me how they work! (I'll post more complex stuff later - and it's almost the same as Toki Pona FYI). Enjoy!

1. mi = 1st person
2. kun = 2nd person
3. ta = 3rd person

i. mi wa nupu
i. I am going/ I go

ii. mi wa juma ku juma
ii. I am eating food/ I ate food/I will eat food

iii. mi wa nupu ku juma nupu kun
iii. I give food to you

iv. kun wa mikin ku juma ku pawa mikin mi
iv. You take food and drink from me
Last edited by holbuzvala on 15 Jun 2017 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Watu: New Auxlang after 11 days of work

Post by holbuzvala »

Also, adjectives follow nouns, as in:

ini anu mi wa san mutu japu mi wa juma ku ali muwa kun ku kusan kala kun
DAY THIS 1 subj. PERSON MANY GOOD 1.possessive subj. EAT obj. LEG BIG 2.possessive obj. ARM BAD 2.possessive
Today, me and my friends will eat your long legs and ugly hands.

Nothing like cannabalism to make grammar exciting
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

I like this.

May I be so bold as to suggest "rawi" as (to comment; retort; reply, etc)

mi rawi kun
I am replying (to) you.
g

o

n

e
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

@masako

I made an error writing the phonology! So meant to write <s> instead of <r>. However, as /l/ and /r/ woyld be in free variation, /rawi/ could defiinitely be a pronounciation of <lawi> (Especially if you were Japanese).

And I commend your boldness. However, before I might add your suggestion of <lawi> to my root list, I mist make a point. Each root covers quite broad areas of meaning, and in the goal of basic communication, is there an important difference between 'replying/responding' and simply speaking? Alas, there already exists a root for that <watu> (a pretty easy starter for ten).

Doubly however, if you can give me a good reason to make the distinction between speaking overall and strictly replying, I will be glad to add it. (Perhaps a root for 'reactions'? Though, that would probably just fall under 'change')

P.S. While the grammar of Watu is pretty similar to Toki Pona, you still need to use the 'subject-predicate-splitter' with all subjects, including the 1st and 2nd person pronouns. So, to say "I am replying to you" would be:

Mi wa lawi (ku ta) nupu kun = I am replying (it) to you

OR

Mi wa watu (ku ta) nupu kun = I am saying (it) to you

I havent decided yet if the stuff in brackets should be optional or obligatory. What do you think?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Cannot wait to see you try it out on the Conlang Conversation Thread!
[:)]
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

@lambuzhao

I hadn't thought of that! But I shall definitely make good use of it. On the subject of translating 'i hadn't thought of that', do you think there's a worthwhile distinction between 'thinking' and 'knowing' that wpuld make having two distinct roots worthwhile?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Rather than us talking about how to talk before we get to talking,
I'm of the mind "let's try it out and use it" and then see what happens.
What works today for you may or may not not work 11 days or 11 years later.
But you won't know until you actually jump into the pool, IMHO.

The important thing, in my book at least, is to give it a go.
Try your lang out on the Conlang Conversation Thread. Always welcome!
:mrgreen:
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

Mi sinu wa sunja ku ta!
1 NEXT subj. DO obj 3
I'll do it!

A mi wa lajun ku kun pansi anu
Conj. 1 subj SEE obj 2 PLACE dem.
And I shall see you there.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Can't wait for the next installation in the series:New auxlang after 11 milliseconds of work.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

qwed117 wrote:Can't wait for the next installation in the series:New auxlang after 11 milliseconds of work.
I'm waiting for the 11 picosecond special.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

OTʜᴇB wrote:
qwed117 wrote:Can't wait for the next installation in the series:New auxlang after 11 milliseconds of work.
Nê disana
[:x]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lambuzhao wrote:
OTʜᴇB wrote:
Nê disana
[:x]
11 zeptoseconds will be the start of the third trilogy I hear, although they might be making the 11 ky prequel first.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Itekkanuk inyete!
No lo maltrates
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lambuzhao wrote:Itekkanuk inyete!
No lo maltrates
I'm not killing anythin'
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

qwed117 wrote:
No lo maltrates
I'm not killing anythin'
Yes you are.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

I retract my interest in this project as the likeness to Tokipona makes it hugely less appealing.
g

o

n

e
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

DesEsseintes wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
No lo maltrates
I'm not killing anythin'
Yes you are.
DesEsseintes, I'm pretty sure holbuzvala was ragging on the other thread called Rondinia.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
cromulant
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by cromulant »

masako wrote:I retract my interest in this project as the likeness to Tokipona makes it hugely less appealing.
The sole difference between this lang and Toki Pona is that this one lacks /e o/. Other than that, everything is completely identical. The consonants are identical. The phonotactics are identical, even down to the allowable /n/ coda and the ban on /ji/ and /wu/. The orthography is identical, even down to <j>.

This is also very close to the phonology that awkwords starts you out with you.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Well, the language was meant to be an auxlang, i.e. easy. You cannot vary too much in terms of phonology from one language that is meant to be easy to another language that is meant to be easy. Getting rid of /e o/ is propably very clever because many language worldwide don't distinguish [e] and or [o] and , respectively.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 23 Jun 2017 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

The sole difference between this lang and Toki Pona is that this one lacks /e o/. Other than that, everything is completely identical. The consonants are identical. The phonotactics are identical, even down to the allowable /n/ coda and the ban on /ji/ and /wu/. The orthography is identical, even down to <j>.
Mi wa watu ku ta: watu mutu na ali wa kinpi (a misa na watu wa kinpi mutu mutu). Toki Pona wa tipu ku <tawa> aju 'nupu, namin, namin', a winan ku IDEA GENERAL na niman, a Watu wa tipu ku <nupu> aju 'nupu' aju nimin mikin san watu, a 'nupu, nupu, nupu, nupu, nupu (THING nupu junwi)' wa sunja. watu kinpi wa aju ku jaki anu, a misa mutu wa sunja aju 'mikin, mikin, mikin, mikin, mikin, mikin', aju 'tipu, tipu, tipu, tipu, tipu, tipu, tipu', aju 'sunja, sunja, sunja, sunja, sunja, sunja, sunja, sunja, sunja'. Mi wa kuni ku ta: kun wa lajun ku ta: anu wa kinpi ku Toki Pona.

1 subj. SAY obj. 3: WORD MANY poss. ROOT subj. DIFFERENT (conj. GROUP poss. WORD subj. DIFFERENT VERY VERY). TOKI PONA subj. USE obj. "TAWA" AS 'TOWARDS, MOVE, GO', conj. CONCERNS obj. IDEA GENERAL poss. MOVEMENT, conj. WATU subj. USE obj. "NUPU" AS 'TOWARDS' AS MOVEMENT FROM PERSON SPEAKING, conj. 'PUSH, GIVE, GO, TOWARDS, GIFT (THING GIVE FINISH)' subj APPEAR. WORD OTHER subj. RESSEMBLE obj. STRUCTURE THIS, conj. GROUP MANY subj. APPEAR AS 'AWAY.FROM, OUT.OF, TAKE, PULL, FROM, COME.FROM', AS 'TOOL, IMPLEMENT, MACHINE, BY, WITH, USING, USE', AS 'MAKE, DO, CAUSE, TASK, DEED, HAPPEN, CHANGE, BECOME, APPEAR.' 1 subj. DESIRE obj. 3: 2 subj. SEE obj. 3: THIS subj. DIFFERS obj. TOKI PONA.

I mean, the root words are different too (insofar as the vocabulary is almost completely different). Toki Pona uses <tawa> to mean 'towards, move (vt/vi), go', so the root concerns an idea of general movement, whereas Watu uses <nupu> to mean 'towards' in the sense of any action away from the speaker, thus allowing its use as 'push, give, go, towards, gift (thing given)'. This paradigm is mimicked with other words to yield groups like 'away from, out of, take, pull, from, come from', 'tool, implement, machine, by, with, using, use', and 'make, do, cause, task, deed, happen, change, become, appear'. I hope you see how this is different from Toki Pona.
This is also very close to the phonology that awkwords starts you out with you.
Mi wa nimu usi ku awkwords lanta ninja anu, a ninja anu mi wa lajun junwi ku ta a mi wa tipu ku ta!

1 subj. neg. HEAR obj. AWKWORDS BEFORE TIME THIS, conj. TIME THIS 1 subj. SEE FINISH obj. 3 conj. 1 subj. USE obj. 3

Never heard of awkwards before, but now I've seen it I may very well use it!
Well, the language was meant to be an auxlang, i.e. easy. You cannot vary to much in terms of phonology from one language that is meant to be easy to another language that is meant to be easy. Getting rid of /e o/ is propably very clever because many language worldwide don't distinguish [e] and or [o] and , respectively.

Mi wa kuni ku ta: japu mutu wa nupu kun, san Iyionaku

1 subj. DESIRE obj. 3: GOOD MANY subj. FOR 2, PERSON IYIONAKU

Cheers, Iyionaku.