Atlas: new auxlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Re: Atlas: new auxlang

Post by Nachtuil »

alynnidalar wrote:There's numbers between 1 and 2, you know--I assume Xing is asking if something like "1.5" takes the singular or plural.
Ah that makes sense! English: 1.5 apples. French: 1.5 apple (but in French)
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

There was a TC about that.
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

alynnidalar wrote:There's numbers between 1 and 2, you know--I assume Xing is asking if something like "1.5" takes the singular or plural.
Oh ye
I remember ranting about >= and <= for non-variable integers.
GamerGeek
sinic
sinic

Post by GamerGeek »

What about the plurality of null?
Rodiniye
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Rodiniye »

alynnidalar wrote:How would "He saw that she was killing the cat." be translated, then? The same way, given that it's still in the past relative to the frame of reference of the speaker?
Ze viset, ze wazat al-nekoa - so yes, the same way.
Another question would be how to handle the pluperfect. (He saw that she arrived vs He saw that she had arrived.)
Ze viset, ze viket / ze viset, ze viket vo

So basically you need to introduce "vo" ("before") in order to mark that the second action is happening before the other.
Setting aside the optional dual for a moment, does the plural indicate 'more than one' or 'two or more'? (This can be a somewhat tricky question...)
Dual is optional, so plural is +1.
There's numbers between 1 and 2, you know--I assume Xing is asking if something like "1.5" takes the singular or plural.
I would say plural, because it is more than 1.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Rodiniye wrote:
Setting aside the optional dual for a moment, does the plural indicate 'more than one' or 'two or more'? (This can be a somewhat tricky question...)
Dual is optional, so plural is +1.
There's numbers between 1 and 2, you know--I assume Xing is asking if something like "1.5" takes the singular or plural.
Suppose I want to use the dual. Would it then be:

1 day – singular
1,5 days – plural (or dual??)
2 days – dual
2,5 days – plural (or dual??)

Can the dual be used only where there's exactly two discrete entities of something?
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Rodiniye wrote:
So 1.5 is marked the same way 3 is and not 2?
Rodiniye
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Rodiniye »

Nachtuil wrote:
Rodiniye wrote:
Dual is optional, so my view is 1.5 could be dual or plural.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Rodiniye wrote:
Nachtuil wrote:
Rodiniye wrote:
Dual is optional, so my view is 1.5 could be dual or plural.
That certainly depends on the language, and the spoken versions of those improper fractions.

Sometimes in my :con: Rozwi, I have said 1 hour<SG> and a half<SG>.
Or 2 hours<DU> and a half<SG>.

I might have based this on French (Cf. il est une heure et demie)
It might also have been :lat:. For the few :lat: nouns with /sesqui/ prefixed, the nouns AFAICT are treated like singulars (Cf. sescuplum, sesquiannus, sesquihora, sesquidies, sesquimodius). And I used to enjoy looking up little 'families' of thematically- or conceptually-related words like these way back in High School.
I cannot remember which influenced, or maybe both (?)
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

elemtilas wrote:If anything, the world-wide deaf community is the ideal field for an auxlanger to work his magic. There is actually a real need for an international auxiliary language there. To be fair, Atlas has no chance of ever becoming the or even a spoken IAL. As an intellectual exercise, as a creative exercise, all well and good. As an exercise in international politics, it has no hope. Putting that energy into a SIAL, now that would raise the art of auxlangery out of the 19th century quagmire it's been stuck in since the early 20th century! Pulling this off would definitely put the hard working auxlanger on the map.
Even better, perhaps the "world language" could be a sign language for all people (excluding the blind), even for hearing people; it's practically impossible to be parochial about choices with vocabulary and to a lesser extent grammar, and it'd be equally hard for all hearing people to learn!
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Frislander wrote:it's practically impossible to be parochial about choices with vocabulary
How so?
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

alynnidalar wrote:
Frislander wrote:it's practically impossible to be parochial about choices with vocabulary
How so?
Well, at least from the perspective of the hearing population, since the vast majority of hearing people don't know a sign-language, though I guess you could rely on one sign language more heavily, (most probably ASL), which would lead to that kind of thing for deaf people.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Frislander wrote:
elemtilas wrote:If anything, the world-wide deaf community is the ideal field for an auxlanger to work his magic. There is actually a real need for an international auxiliary language there. To be fair, Atlas has no chance of ever becoming the or even a spoken IAL. As an intellectual exercise, as a creative exercise, all well and good. As an exercise in international politics, it has no hope. Putting that energy into a SIAL, now that would raise the art of auxlangery out of the 19th century quagmire it's been stuck in since the early 20th century! Pulling this off would definitely put the hard working auxlanger on the map.
Even better, perhaps the "world language" could be a sign language for all people (excluding the blind), even for hearing people; it's practically impossible to be parochial about choices with vocabulary and to a lesser extent grammar, and it'd be equally hard for all hearing people to learn!
I'm hoping that was an invisible tongue-in-cheek smiley I saw there!

It would rather defeat the purpose of an IAL to actually make communication not only more difficult and impractical, but also to handicap its users needlessly by forcing them to use an unnatural medium.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Rodiniye wrote:I admit it could be easier. Everything could be easier. Just do one pronoun, 3 verbs and 6 nouns and you might be able to communicate. Or even use pictures, why bother with grammar? But for me, an auxlang should be a common tool for effective communication, not only communication.

And no, it is not about saying "hey! my auxlang is very easy!", you have the grammar available and you can compare it to others. Everything you need to be fluent is in 20 pages, including index and practice. No way Chinese is easier than Atlas. The basics basics maybe yes (no tense for instance, no number). But then, if you look into it deeply... things change a bit. Then you adding "le" to verbs, "hui", "zai" and all the possibilities, and all the constructions, and all of the sudden verbs are not that easy anymore.
except you make it harder than you perhaps considered:
Rodiniye wrote: 4 - Preposition in Atlas play a key role in word construction. In Atlas you create the vocabulary with only 500ish roots and prepositions, so the meaning of the prepositions needs to be clear, otherwise the words meanings would not be intuitive.
but if the Atlas-users in Maryland create vocabulary...that doesn't mean it'll be understandable to Atlas-speakers in Moscow. the words might be transparent in what Atlas had for their original meaning...but once you create vocabulary, you also (then or later on) give it new roles -- carpenters can nail things with a screwdriver, but anyone can listen to the Carpenters and drink a screwdriver.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

elemtilas wrote:
Frislander wrote:
I'm hoping that was an invisible tongue-in-cheek smiley I saw there!

It would rather defeat the purpose of an IAL to actually make communication not only more difficult and impractical, but also to handicap its users needlessly by forcing them to use an unnatural medium.
I disagree with that characterisation of sign language, but yeah, you still have the implementation problem (arguably the most challenging/impossible part of the whole IAL enterprise).
Rodiniye
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Rodiniye »

Atlas growing strong and many people helping, so I am extremely grateful.

Latest and last upgrade has been a recent grammar upgrade which made the language easier:
- given structures now to help recognize words and part of speech.
- simplified verbs.
- no dual number any longer.
- no verb prefixes any longer.

And all roots now are 3 letters long.

More information here:

http://atlas-language.blogspot.com.es/2 ... pdate.html

I think it has taken Atlas to where it should be, now it is even easier and more logical.

Hope you like it [:)]
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Rodiniye wrote: - no dual number any longer.

What made you change your mind on having this as optional and instead just getting rid of the dual?
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Rodiniye wrote:- no verb prefixes any longer.

I think it has taken Atlas to where it should be, now it is even easier and more logical.
if "stop" is now "sop"...then what has "sop" become? (yes, sop is a real word)

and are there both suffixes and prefixes? if so, how do we determine where the root/stem begins and ends?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Rodiniye
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Rodiniye »

Nachtuil wrote:
Rodiniye wrote: - no dual number any longer.

What made you change your mind on having this as optional and instead just getting rid of the dual?
Keenir wrote:
Rodiniye wrote:- no verb prefixes any longer.

if "stop" is now "sop"...then what has "sop" become? (yes, sop is a real word)

and are there both suffixes and prefixes? if so, how do we determine where the root/stem begins and ends?
1)
Simplification basically.

2) There are no prefixes. You always start counting from the left, count 3. All roots are 3 letters long for adjectives, nouns, adverbs and verbs. The rest beyond the 3 (or multiples of 3) are suffixes.

"sop" comes from "stop" because all roots now are 3 letters, following 3 patterns: CVC, VCC, VVC. So "stop" was not usable any longer and "sop" was free.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Rodiniye, check your PM box. I've replied to you in another thread.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!