Coveny's ConLang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Coveny
rupestrian
rupestrian

Coveny's ConLang

Post by Coveny »

So I've been working on my ConLang and I'd like to get some feedback.

How I got to my letters and glyphs - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Fonts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIk99I ... sp=sharing
- *Note* The idea is that the glyph should give you an idea of how to pronounce it.

My idea is to have words structured as follows
No more than two consonants in a row
No more than one vowel in a row
No consonants or vowels repeating
Can end with a vowel but can't start with a vowel
Direct Orthography

NOUNS will "NADG" case-systems
Verbs will morph for past, present, future, perfect, and adpositions for Continuous

If you wouldn't mind looking it over and telling me what you think I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark
ForDebating.com is coming in February. A debating website that I hope to populate with intelligent critical debator. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating

Feature comparison chart
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: Coveny's ConLang

Post by Iyionaku »

Coveny wrote: 05 Dec 2017 23:22 Fonts - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vIk99I ... sp=sharing
- *Note* The idea is that the glyph should give you an idea of how to pronounce it.
This is called a featural writing system. You may want to have a look at Hangeul, Korean's writing system which is the only natural writing system that follows that principle. In fact, you may have already had a look at it, because your writing system looks similar. However, I can't really tell about the principle you used because I don't know your phonemes.
Coveny wrote: 05 Dec 2017 23:22 No more than two consonants in a row
So your syllable structure is in fact like that:

C(C)V

Gemination (doubling of consonants) is prohibited, vowel lengthening is prohibited.

I cannot say much more to your language because so far you haven't provided information to phonetics, phonology, morphology or syntax.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Coveny
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Coveny »

Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2017 07:52
This is called a featural writing system. You may want to have a look at Hangeul, Korean's writing system which is the only natural writing system that follows that principle. In fact, you may have already had a look at it, because your writing system looks similar. However, I can't really tell about the principle you used because I don't know your phonemes.
They should be visible on the second tab (Glyphs) of the first link. Which should also list the IPA phonetics associated to my glyph. All glyphs directly connect to one and only one phoneme. I don't have the lexicon yet, but I intend to pull the same word in IPA form from all 8 of my base languages and then compare them side by side to look for similarities, and try to take whatever the most common/popular between them is, and convert it to by system.
Iyionaku wrote: 06 Dec 2017 07:52
Coveny wrote: 05 Dec 2017 23:22 No more than three consonants in a row
So your syllable structure is in fact like that:

C(CC)V

Gemination (doubling of consonants) is prohibited, vowel lengthening is prohibited.

I cannot say much more to your language because so far you haven't provided information to phonetics, phonology, morphology or syntax.
Should have been three consonants sorry. Changed above. I want two to be the norm but I want the ability to go three for rare words.

Syntax I'm going with SVO.

Morphology will be a different letter for a different tense except for Continuous which will use adpositions. The general idea will be something like this:

Verbs
Tense: English - mine
Simple Present: He sings. - He sings
Present Perfect: He has sung. - He sung
Present Continuous: He is singing - He singing
Present Perfect Continuous: He has been singing - He sunging

Simple Past: He sang - He sang
Past Perfect: He had sung - He song
Past Continuous: He was singing - He sanging
Past Perfect Continuous: He had been singing - He songing

Simple Future: He will sing - He seng
Future Perfect: He will have sung - He sɛng
Future Continuous: He will be singing - He senging
Future Perfect Continuous: He will have been singing - He sɛnging

Not likely that I will use "ing" as the affix, but this shows the general concept. That leaves /ə/ out, so I will likely say it can be Present as well as /i/. But also the vowel to tense correlation is not "set", and is subject to change. So I'm open to feedback/ideas on the subject, especially if there is a basis for it in the 8 languages.

Nouns: English - mine
Nominative (Subject of verb): I - mi
Accusative (Direct objects): ? - mo
Dative (Indirect objects): me - me
Genitive (Possession): mine - ma

With the nouns I have can double up and still have one extra so it will be two letters for each. Of course I could be missing something I'm not thinking of and need those vowels elsewhere. I also haven't worked on adjectives or adverbs yet. I'm hoping not to have any prepositions in the language at all, but we'll see how that turns out.

I'm new to all this but hopefully what I'm talking about is clear, and haven't made some major error...
ForDebating.com is coming in February. A debating website that I hope to populate with intelligent critical debator. You can follow updates at https://www.facebook.com/fordebating

Feature comparison chart
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I'm just posting this here now, to remind myself to make a useful post later, when I have more time.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Well, I guess this is a useful post.
It’s been a year; any news?
Coveny
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Coveny »

Nope, I stopped working on it. I hired some people to develop my website ForDebating.com and they couldn't get the job done and strung me along. So I finally decided to learn to program and develop myself. I gave that project more priority than this one and have been working on that for several months now.

Feature comparison chart
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Coveny wrote: 03 Dec 2018 21:52 Nope, I stopped working on it. I hired some people to develop my website ForDebating.com and they couldn't get the job done and strung me along. So I finally decided to learn to program and develop myself. I gave that project more priority than this one and have been working on that for several months now.
I hope you’re successful!