CBB Conlang Relay IX

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: CBB Conlang Relay IX

Post by DesEsseintes »

Jackk wrote: 24 Feb 2018 12:48The big handedness is definitely somewhat on me [:D] . I put "a big handful of the villagers" to mean "many of the villagers"... and then never explained that sense of the word fo "hand" anywhere. [xD]
Lol!

That was one of the weirdest sentences for me in the relay as gestaltist’s Nakarian sentence glossed as sth along the lines of
big hand-having people
which I interpreted as “giants with hands”. My delightful giants then swiftly evaporated. [xD]

I’m also responsible for the moon becoming a star, cos Núta lacks a word for ‘moon’ for in-world reasons.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

This looks like it was fun! I hope to take part in the next one :)
DzêtaRedfang
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by DzêtaRedfang »

Iyionaku wrote: 24 Feb 2018 10:51
Reyzandren wrote: 24 Feb 2018 06:23 The old beautiful lord with grey hair sees a thingamajig.
loglorn wrote: 24 Feb 2018 06:23 An old beautiful chief saw something.
Yeah... I propably would have handled it that way too.
kiwikami wrote: 24 Feb 2018 06:49 The beautiful man became an angry man, then a sad man, and then everyone was miserable.
I feel a little bad for changing the man from 'beautiful' to 'angry' - poor guy! I just hope that there is no parallel universe somehow where now a maid changed into a miserable man and vanished...

What happened is that: The noun phrase DzêtaRedfang provided me was xãiyë obrämøkä yã fläbmøkä eu üþmøkä.

xãiyë = chief
obrämøkä = old
fläbmøkä = bloody
üþmøkä = hot

From the particles in that phrase, I somehow determined that it should mean "hot-blooded old chief". Most likely this is even correct, but unlike I assumed, being in hot blood apparently is no synonym for anger in Atruozan culture, but for handsomeness. Well...
Yeah, you are right, it does mean hot-blooded old chief. I am glad that my torch was well done enough for you to translate it with the degree of accuracy you did. Atruozan in its full glory isn't the easiest thing to figure out when broken down like that. I remember making an image for a lexember day in the past, so I'll post it below. Just note that the phrase given is from an older form of the lang, so the affixes are different than the current ones.
Spoiler:
tl;dr : It stems from the language being spoken in polar regions in really cold climates.
Your friendly neighbourhood french-canadian penguin
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

Wow, this text really changed a lot! Very nice!

I'm the one who introduced the elders and the megalith. This happened because (a) I always try to make relay texts fit in with my concultures (in this case, a late chalcolithic / early bronze age society in which astronomy has religious significance, and where megaliths mark the places from where the stars should be watched), and (b) because in the text I received, it was not clear to me whether "he" (one good man) and "they" (several good men) were meant to be the same or different, so I decided to just talk about a group of elders who can be assumed to have lots of experience observing the stars.

I also seem to have introduced a couple of other minor things in the process of rendering the story with the typical (and often slightly idiomatic) serial verb constructions of Ronc Tyu, such as the detail that the elders turn around before looking towards the stars, which is a slightly too literal translation of the Ronc Tyu gyè ruzruo ngòc, 'shift one's position and lift the eyes', where gyè 'move sideways, shift one's position' appears only because ruzruo 'raise, lift', like all verbs with the causative prefix rV-, is syntactically defective and can't be used without a (semantically fairly empty) second verb to support it... [;)]

By the way, the translation listed under my name in the results post is the one I made when deciphering the Silvish text, so it doesn't really show what happened during my turn. A proper back-translation of the Ronc Tyu text is here: (it would be nice if kiwikami could add it to the results post!)
This moment was very much perfect. Before sunrise, the elders got up and walked to the megalith at the shore of the lake. There was a single cloud high above their village, but apart from that the sky was cold and clear and completely free of clouds.

The elders quietly stood at the shore and looked up to the stars. They were wise and understood why people were sad, why they kept worrying whether things might have a hidden meaning, and why they were trying to find out which star was the brightest one.

And for those who are interested, here's a full interlinear gloss of my Ronc Tyu torch:
Ki línc mumbùn nyac.
this SGV\time INTENS~good win
This moment was very much perfect.

Nyu nrènc, hunc ndzu kein zúc zúc do ruoc runc sáe rae yaon.
see sunrise, elders rise go_from.1 walk walk come_to.3I megalith beside shores at_edge_of lake
Before sunrise, the elders got up and walked to the megalith at the shore of the lake.

Trà sru yéi poun poun màc yu ndzì ko,
exist INDEF.A SGV\clouds above above village of 3A.COLL barely
There was a single cloud high above their village,

kè wèi kù hru, myòu trae làe o dzó pec tác kàc tè tè léi.
but outside that detail, sky cold clear and same.A NEG hold carry any any clouds
but apart from that the sky was cold and clear and completely free of clouds.

Hunc tò pùn suo sáe o dzó gyè ruzruo ngòc yunc myen nyu láo myéc.
elders silent stand LOC.STAT shores and same.A shift_position lift eyes concentrate look see watch stars
The elders quietly stood at the shore and looked up to the stars.

Ndzì tsáo ndźei dwá trén tsèi gyào twín yèanc,
3A.COLL wise know understand which.I reason REL.I PL\person sad
They were wise and understood why people were sad,

trén tsèi gyào ndźi lùo lùo zrin trá ndáo tó,
which.I reason REL.I 3A.PL worry worry HYP Q PL\thing significant
why they kept worrying whether things might have a hidden meaning,

o trén tsèi gyào ndźí ndźù pwì pou mba myéc bùn źùn bwí nwa xòac nú myéc.
and which.I reason REL.I 3A.PL search try find SGV stars REL.A shine bright exceed all.COLL other stars
and why they were trying to find out which star was the brightest one.
Last edited by cedh on 25 Feb 2018 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: CBB Clongo Relay IX

Post by Fluffy8x »

Not to mention that I turned the man's hair from white to grey, just because Middle Rymakonian uses the same word for white, grey and black.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Iyionaku wrote: 24 Feb 2018 10:38 kiwikami, apparently I am the only one who has not sent you the description. In the last relay, nobody did that, so that buffles me a little...

I just sent you the description. Would you kindly update the post for me? Thanks!
I don't want to be nagging, but why did you update everyone else's request but not mine?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Iyionaku wrote: 26 Feb 2018 09:25
Iyionaku wrote: 24 Feb 2018 10:38 kiwikami, apparently I am the only one who has not sent you the description. In the last relay, nobody did that, so that buffles me a little...

I just sent you the description. Would you kindly update the post for me? Thanks!
I don't want to be nagging, but why did you update everyone else's request but not mine?
Ack, sorry, I got lost in the multitude of updates and also real world things. I shall do so now if my phone allows it, and if not, then in the morning when I'm at my laptop. My apologies!
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

What does Google Translate think your relay torch was?
Kiwikami - Ngäliv Ëra = Luxembourgish
Fluffy8x - Middle Rymakonian = Croatian
Reyzadren - griuskant = Hindi
loglorn - Proto-Kame = Slovak
DzêtaRedfang - Atruozan = Finnish
Iyionaku - Caelian = Turkish
opipik = Javanese
Ser - araya = Sundanese
Jackk - Duban = Polish
Parlox - Lozkazmat = English
gestaltist - Nakarian = Yoruba
DesEsseintes - Núta = Igbo
bbbourq - Lortho
Dormouse559 - Silvish = French [xD]
cedh - Ronc Tyu = Vietnamese
Frislander - Frislandian = Hungarian
shimobaatar - Visigothic = Galician
Using Google Translate on the original text then cycling through those natlangs in that order:
Spoiler:
Not only for buildings, but for homes, water and colleagues, but we do not know when you are in the city. He had a good light, and he sat there and found his boyfriend and the other parts of the blue.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Reyzadren wrote: 11 Mar 2018 04:02 Google Translate stuff
Great idea, Reyzadren! [:D]
Two closely related languages in succession. Interesting.
Not only for buildings, but for homes, water and colleagues, but we do not know when you are in the city. He had a good light, and he sat there and found his boyfriend and the other parts of the blue.[/spoiler]
I wonder how Google Translate picked up on the fact that half the CBB is LGBQT... [xD]
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

That text is actually surprisingly cogent for something so random.
DesEsseintes wrote: 11 Mar 2018 04:47
Two closely related languages in succession. Interesting.
Also how on earth did they match Núta with Igbo. They're so dissimilar.

I'm not surprised I was assigned to Hungarian though.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Reyzadren wrote: 11 Mar 2018 04:02
Do you ever get the feeling a computer just gets you? [:'(]
[Insert "Her" gif]
[Insert "Ex Machina" gif]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Dormouse559 wrote: 11 Mar 2018 19:25
Reyzadren wrote: 11 Mar 2018 04:02
Do you ever get the feeling a computer just gets you? [:'(]
[Insert "Her" gif]
[Insert "Ex Machina" gif]
Oh my god… I just had to watch and write about both of those movies for a class of mine. [O.O]

Anyway, cool addition, Reyzadren! I'm pretty happy with it thinking Visigothic is Galician.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I sent the English translation and Lortho grammar notes. Sorry about that.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

How on earth did it conclude Proto-Kame was Slovak?? I'd've expected something uralic or turkic, which are the usual answers i get when i ask about aesthetics.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

The actual Google Translate results are rather amusing as well for some of these.

Visigothic "Galician" becomes:
"Çata mel yst rich. The fiercene ones have already gone beyond the mural megawatts outside the city. Yene micile milma ligeç ufar uique sinata, ac allalicos, and eighteenth cald, the sun escine, already the hymine or the milestone of the old quarter. The fiercene ones are selenct at the mark af çana xu, austanan, ya oxuhan ana yena eschérnon my uegona sines. They scare sound, and they smell it on the edge of the river, the Bamako afana hurried down, they spit on her back, they whispered and they smoked."

Ronc Tyu "Vietnamese" becomes:
"The mummy nyac Nyu no kun, hunc kin kin by the end of the race rae yaon. Tea sow yei poun poun that yu nkì ko, kè wèi kù hru, I was afraid of the pecking on the nose. Hunc puddled his nose and yelled at me. If you're going to go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school."

And Frislandian "Hungarian" becomes:
"Tìna ari tjala. Hlzzun, however, went on to say goodbye to his boss. The prices of their opi iguas, their prices, their prices, their prices, their moru opsi nemat pamperukuk.
However, the sword of Hezbollah is crazy about them, and theirs, and they do not hurt the pytarri sërtarryk. The Ekanel powulys tàwas küsi, including a carrots, a sea pythagorean, a coconut, a stone."

Silvish "French":
"The summer lou good mouman. Li bbon-i-z hammen-aeye egg cotta en-e maezo cotta leyou. The i-ya pa neble or matte. Had vvaeze of grante nneble damonti of lour villadjou. The O is at the heart of the fan-theater by the most benevolent scene. This is O, li bonz O; He understood his tristize e by the fact that he had been distracted by the ettaele lae bbriillan."

Núta "Igbo":
"It's a crazy look. Neswerú · ku tsıre ahà · tıku huhyarí · ku yá · nwa tharetseké · re hatú · newı. Eyewitness ısyé · ka utsné · ye ay. You have to edit · redirect · to edit · rye natsısıwá · rıye áyasewa. Your email address is here, heyasewewí · u nyá'sewa Hyehtatá · wa. If you do not know, you can not do it; Asruyuwí · yıte sėh esksurye'hú · This is the best solution for Hyehtatá · wa ní · yut ȧhwıwısthústre."

Nakarian "Yoruba":
"In addition, you will be able to find out what you are doing, and how to use theeshaôbo iibyóo oma. She did not know what to do. Bezbée orawe ôttômbâibóo jan warmly kisses, bezêbe tamovậạ koo kày. Click on a link to the content of your blog. The only thing to do is to know; hozéy hostibóo tsomạwèe koo kàwe ho ệmbarasậxàa labo ombama."

Proto-Kame "Slovak":
"you do not have to miss a lot of joy in your life. nöestur jyri nöjii nöo lhyjöe nööm nöpikdabli jydti ola, nömilhiohon dablu nööm krio jut sohutö. nököluilkö nönop tolbyn, jydte nenakuohon nööm akbyn. do not eat. I will not be able to use it anymore."

And the one that managed to be almost entirely "translated", Opipik's unnamed conlang, "Javanese":
"You have to go to bed, to arrange to arrange, to arrange for munkunai. To be happy, to be aware, to be successful, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll save you by my head. If you want to eat, I'll be there, and I'll take care of it."

Atruozan is entirely untranslated except that the phrase "and you can also see that there is a glance in your eyes" shows up partway through the "Finnish" text. The others are all for the most part left untouched by Google Translate's poor, confused algorithm.

In participant order, it makes for... some sort of strange dream narrative:
Spoiler:
 You do not have to miss a lot of joy in your life. Do not eat. I will not be able to use it anymore. And you can also see that there is a glance in your eyes. You have to go to bed, to arrange, to arrange, to arrange for munkunai. To be happy, to be aware, to be successful, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll save you by my head. If you want to eat, I'll be there, and I'll take care of it. In addition, you will be able to find out what you are doing, and how to use theeshaôbo iibyóo oma. She did not know what to do. Warmly kisses. Click on a link to the content of your blog. The only thing to do is to know.
 It's a crazy look... You have to edit · redirect · to edit. Your email address is here. If you do not know, you can not do it... This is the best solution for Hyehtatá. The summer... the O is at the heart of the fan-theater by the most benevolent scene. This is O... He understood his tristize e by the fact that he had been distracted by the ettaele lae bbriillan Hlzzun, however, went on to say goodbye to his boss. The prices of their opi iguas, their prices, their prices, their prices.
 However, the sword of Hezbollah is crazy about them, and theirs, and they do not hurt the pytarri sërtarryk. Including a carrots, a sea pythagorean, a coconut, a stone. The mummy... by the end of the race... I was afraid of the pecking on the nose. Hunc puddled his nose and yelled at me. If you're going to go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school.
 The fiercene ones have already gone beyond the mural megawatts outside the city... and eighteenth cald, the sun escine, already the hymine or the milestone of the old quarter. The fiercene ones are selenct at the mark... They scare sound, and they smell it on the edge of the river, the Bamako afana hurried down, they spit on her back, they whispered and they smoked.
"A carrots. A sea pythagorean. A coconut. A stone."
Why do I find this so amusing?
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Lol, Nakarian = Yoruba confirmed. I wonder how it will fare after I finish my phonology overhaul.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

kiwikami wrote: 22 Mar 2018 07:26 Why do I find this so amusing?
Because it really is very amusing. [xD]
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

kiwikami wrote: 22 Mar 2018 07:26 Ronc Tyu "Vietnamese" becomes:
"[...] go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school."
Ok, Mom, I'm going!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

DesEsseintes wrote: 23 Mar 2018 05:01 If you're going to go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school, go to school.
If I read that anywhere and didn't know it was just shitty google translate, I'd think about that sentence a long time. It is surprisingly deep.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Reyzandren wrote:The whole town does some external inclusivity during the morning twilight mist.
That being said, how about a new relay, guys?