CBB Conlang Relay IX

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

CBB Conlang Relay IX

Post by kiwikami »

It's time.

Anyone who signs up will receive a PM with some text written in a conlang of the previous participant. The PM will contain basic grammatical information and a short glossary - just enough to translate the text given into English. There will be no gloss. They will decrypt the text accordingly, and then translate the result into their own conlang. They will then pass the torch to the next person in line. The last participant sends it back around to the first, who translates it to English one final time. The final text is revealed, and compared with the original; all in-between stages are also made available. Each participant has about 48 hours, with some wiggle room, to decipher, re-translate, and pass the torch on.

If you want to participate, respond here with the name of the conlang you'll be using. We'll probably start on Wednesday or thereabouts. (Feel free to request to be placed earlier or later in the rankings if you want some time to make a particular lang more work-able, or if you're concerned about timing this around some real-world event.)

Edit: The relay is complete! Thanks to Fluffy8x, Reyzadren, loglorn, DzêtaRedfang, Iyionaku, opipik, Ser, Jackk, Parlox, gestaltist, DesEsseintes, bbbourq, Dormouse559, cedh, Frislander, and shimobaatar for participating. Well done, everyone! [:D]

Original Text
A maid servant living alone, in a house not far from the river, had gone upstairs to bed about eleven. Although a fog rolled over the city in the small hours, the early part of the night was cloudless. The lane, which the maid’s window overlooked, was brilliantly lit by the full moon. As she sat, she became aware of an aged, beautiful gentleman with white hair, drawing near along the lane.

Final Version
The moment is right. The elders stand, and they go to the standing megaliths before dawn. A large cloud is lying over their village, but otherwise, it is cold, the sun is shining, and the heavens do not hold other clouds. The elders stand in silence by the coast of the lake; they turn around, and look with their eyes towards a star. With their wisdom, they know the origin of the suffering of the people, the significance of this frightening origin, and the other shining spring that they search for.
Last edited by kiwikami on 24 Feb 2018 07:17, edited 28 times in total.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: CBB Conlang Relay IX

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Just how long and complex will the Torch be? I've never done one of these, so I don't wanna get in over my head.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

^Same, I can't find much info on torches in relays. So, to people who have done these before, I'm assuming we're doing it like this?

Send to next person: Conscript, gloss soup, conlang blurb
Keep, don't send: Romanisation, IPA, English translation of the previous gloss soup
Send to relaymaster: English translation of our own conlang from our own gloss soup

Y/N? Or am I thinking too much?
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: CBB Clongo Relay IX

Post by Fluffy8x »

I love these! Sign me up.

I'll be using either Jbl or Middle Rymakonian.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: CBB Clongo Relay IX

Post by Khemehekis »

So that's what a clongo is!

I was thinking it was some kind of computer widget that could be assembled . . . or something like that.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Reyzadren wrote: 07 Jan 2018 01:20 ^Same, I can't find much info on torches in relays. So, to people who have done these before, I'm assuming we're doing it like this?

Send to next person: Conscript, gloss soup, conlang blurb
Keep, don't send: Romanisation, IPA, English translation of the previous gloss soup
Send to relaymaster: English translation of our own conlang from our own gloss soup

Y/N? Or am I thinking too much?
No idea what you mean by "gloss soup", but I've never seen one of these that involves deciphering a conscript. If memory serves, its:
  • Send to the next person: Text (romanized, if need be) in your conlang, glossary/vocabulary list, short description of morphosyntax (the language's "grammar"), phonemic and/or phonetic transcription of the text (optional), the text in another script (optional)
  • Send to the person running the relay: Anything you sent to the next person, but also an English translation of the text in your conlang
  • Keep to yourself: Anything that isn't relevant to either the person deciphering your conlang or the person running the relay
Again, if memory serves, you will receive a private message from the person ahead of you in the relay containing the text in that person's conlang, along with a list of relevant vocabulary and grammatical rules necessary for you to decipher the text. Once you've deciphered it, translate it into the conlang you're participating with, and then send a private message containing the text in your conlang to the person after you in the relay, along with a list of relevant vocabulary and grammatical rules necessary for them to translate the text out of your conlang. At the same time, send another private message to the person running the relay with all the information you sent to the person after you in the relay, plus a translation of the text from your conlang into English. Only send that translation to the person running the game.
Khemehekis wrote: 07 Jan 2018 02:38 So that's what a clongo is!

I was thinking it was some kind of computer widget that could be assembled . . . or something like that.
Sorry, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I thought it was just a typo?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 07 Jan 2018 04:36
Khemehekis wrote: 07 Jan 2018 02:38 So that's what a clongo is!

Sorry, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I thought it was just a typo?
I am being serious. It suddenly struck me when I saw that the latest post in this thread was "Re: CBB Clongo Relay IX", while the title was "Re: CBB Conlang Relay IX", that "clongo" was another way of saying "conlang"! Before I had thought it was this neologism that I was seeing all of a sudden. My brain didn't make the clongo -> conlang connection the first several times. The "computer widget" thing came from the phonaesthetic sound of the word "clongo".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Fluffy has something on his end that changes every instance of the word "conlang" to clongo... for some reason. As such, whether he quotes it or types it, all instances of the word will change. That includes the subject line of his posts. Now, WHY this is is a complete mystery to me.

None of this conversation answers my question: How long and/or complex are the written passages that we will need to translate originally?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 07 Jan 2018 08:15 None of this conversation answers my question: How long and/or complex are the written passages that we will need to translate originally?
Oh, sorry, didn't realize that's what you were asking. Since text length varies relay-by-relay, I guess only kiwikami can truly answer this, but looking at Relay VII, the text was about 2.5 lines long, and 8 sentences. Note that one sentence was two words, and another was three.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 07 Jan 2018 08:15Now, WHY this is is a complete mystery to me.
It is, indeed, a mystery.

I'll play with, of course, Géarthnuns. I'm gonna chillax on the 48-hour deadline, though, which I haven't done in relays past.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

shimobaatar wrote: 07 Jan 2018 08:23 Oh, sorry, didn't realize that's what you were asking. Since text length varies relay-by-relay, I guess only kiwikami can truly answer this, but looking at Relay VII, the text was about 2.5 lines long, and 8 sentences. Note that one sentence was two words, and another was three.
(Hopefully my last post didn't come off as rude!)

Anyway, thanks.

Assuming this isn't some gigantic passage, I'll make an attempt at this with Vingdagese. If I have time, I'll make characters for the words as well.

However, as for the deadline, depending on work and when it falls, it might take me somewhat longer for the turn around.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I can participate with Nakarian if you put me somewhere near the end. The language isn't quite there yet right now...
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

I will participate in this conlang relay with griuskant. Some torch things are still unclear to me, but there's always the PM system for more info anyway.

You have full permission to skip me or move me further back if I do not respond within the suitable timeframe.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 07 Jan 2018 00:29 Just how long and complex will the Torch be? I've never done one of these, so I don't wanna get in over my head.
Some examples of previous torches:
Spoiler:
He came saw and asked:
“What do you intend with so few warriors?”
“To win”
“Where is the rest of your soldiers?”
“Racing who swims up the river faster”
“If you help us we will let you govern the land”
“If you want what belongs to others you’ll end up dead”
“Give up your weapons!”
“Come take them!”
“There will be so many arrows the sky will turn black”
“Then we will fight in the shade”
The messenger left.

Let me look at you for a moment, into your eyes, your heart, your life. I see strange things that I've only seen once before... You are the same boy I once saw ten years ago! When you were given to the world, I knew that you were special. Now you are here! This is more than a coincidence; it must be destiny! We must prepare now, so that you may become the man this world needs. Are you ready to do what must be done?

He was alone in the room. He looked at the wall. There were two portraits hanging. If it were bright, in the first one he would see a young woman with brown curly hair covering her shoulders. She was wearing a well-tailored dress with many ornaments. These were rarer now than fifty years before. In the second one he would see an even younger and better-dressed woman. He stopped the thoughts. He looked through the window. The first lights of the morning shone in the backyard. As usual, he hadn't felt the speed of the time. But he didn't like to fall asleep. Everything was better than that. He didn't sleep when he hadn't to.

Dusk fell early that day. The moon was a ghostly brightness that filtered through sparse, wintry branches. Snow blanketed the forest floor, shadows of footprints in every direction. I was being followed. I dared not breathe. They had been after me for days. If only my brother had never revealed the order... A crack. I let instinct take over; I jumped to the ground, searching frantically for the signs that people were here. There! I saw figures moving imperceptibly through the thickets of pine. “Who are you?” I called. “Don't you know?” His voice rang from behind me; I turned slowly, revealing an impossible sight. “It can’t be!”

"I suppose she didn’t believe you, and who can blame her?"
"Oh, she believed. And was outraged that I thought she would ever leave her beloved husband. Her word; beloved. She ran back to the man as fast as her feet would go, and I had the choice of killing him or leaping into my coach. I had to leave behind almost every stitch I owned. I expect she’s still living with him much as before. Holding the purse strings tight in her fist and cracking his head open with whatever lies to hand every time he stops into the inn for an ale. As she always had."
They are typically syntactically complex, but relatively short.
Reyzadren wrote: 07 Jan 2018 01:20 Send to next person: Conscript, gloss soup, conlang blurb
Correct, though also send me the text translated into your conlang so that we can see it side-by-side with your English translation. Shimobaatar explains it a bit better.
Last edited by kiwikami on 08 Jan 2018 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

I'd like to participate with my conlang Duban.

Here's the torch I sent in a previous relay for comparison:
Spoiler:

Ba s’nuk ei a jon llu res wot ōg s’llu res inam s’llu res guwak s’llu ma – dadū jonak; b’ō ūrunte s’tebe a jon ti b’illow is. embēr k’llu ti belān s’tebe is llibu s’ked āron. llibu s’nati llu a sajīb haw llu orbēs. Jon, war udet llu! benak s’ut a haw llu llibu min res d’āgos. nuk ti a hia tew ei ībar llu k’war udet llu mamo s’hia haw orbēs. Ībar llu?

Lexicon:
Spoiler:
a topic particle
NB Things often topicalised: prepositional phrases, objects, subjects (but then a resumptive pronoun is used after the verb)
āron year
b’illow instead
ba at; to; in
(with time expression) for; during
- ba sa / ba s’ when
- b’illow instead
belān child; inexperienced person; naïve person
benak future; destiny
dadū be strange; be odd
ei I; me
- s’ei my
ember ki look like; resemble
guwak life; what you’ve lived; experience
hia must; have to
- hia haw need; require
haw have; wear; carry
- hia haw need; require
- haw… ...orbēs … is important (lit. “… carries the world”)
ībar ready; prepared
- tew X ībar Y “X prepares Y” (lit. “X makes Y ready”)
inam n. inside
(metaphor) soul; heart; character
is imperfective particle
jon be seen; be visible
NB jon ei nuk llu = be.seen 1s for 2s = “you see me”
(alone at start of sentence) now; and now; well (discourse particle)
jonak sight; scene; view
ked ten
ki towards; in order to
llibu from
- llibu sa/ llibu s’ (with clause) since
(with time expression) from… ...ago, e.g. llibu s’ō āron “ from one year ago”
- llibu min res d’āgos by chance; by accident (lit. “from fate and nothing”)
llu you
- s’llu your
ma perfective particle
mamo woman; female person
min Fate (mythology)
- llibu min res d’āgos by chance; by accident (lit. “from fate and nothing”)
nati be born
nuk for; for the benefit of
NB jon ei nuk llu = be.seen 1s for 2s = “you see me”
- nuk ti (alone at start of sentence) so; and so; thus (discourse particle)
ō one; (in negative sentences) any
ōg eye
orbēs world; earth; everyone
- haw… ...orbēs … is important (lit. X carries the world)
res (between noun phrases) and; with
sa / s’ that; which; of
(with pronouns) belonging to, e.g. s’llu your
Used to form attributive adjectives, e.g. mamo s’tibe “small woman”
- ba sa /ba s’ when
- llibu sa/ llibu s’ (with clause) since
(with time expression) from… ...ago, e.g. llibu s’ō āron “ from one year ago”
sajīb know; be aware
tebe be small; be short; be unnoticed
tew make; cause
- tew X ībar Y “X prepares Y” (lit. “X makes Y ready”)
ti he, she, it; him, her, it;
(as a demonstrative adjective) this, that (behaves like a number)
- nuk ti (alone at start of sentence) so; and so; thus (discourse particle)
udetstand up; rise
- war udet be here; become (something/someone)
ūrunte moment; short time
ut big; important; intrinsic
war reflexive particle
- war udet be here; become (something/someone)
wot two
Grammar notes:
Spoiler:
Tolsannian (Torsane) is a VSO language, isolating for the most part. A few things to look out for:
- Adjectives act exactly like verbs. “You are blue” = blue 2s
- In sentences like “I know I like icecream”, where the subject is the same in both parts, Torsane puts the verbs together. “I know I like icecream” = know like 1s icecream
- Numbers come before the noun. “One big truck” = one truck REL big
- The relative particle (sa / s’) is used a lot. See the Lexicon for more details.
- The topic in a sentence can be fronted, using the topic particle a to separate from the rest of the sentence. Most things can be topicalised. For example, take the sentence “I take an umbrella when it rains.” We can write:
take 1s umbrella at REL fall rain – without topicalisation. Here is what can be topicalised:
- SUBJECT: 1s TOP take 1s umbrella at REL fall rain. Note that the subject is repeated after the verb.
- OBJECT: umbrella TOP take 1s at REL fall rain.
- PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE: at that fall rain TOP take 1s umbrella.
Have fun, and do not hesitate to inquire if I have missed anything!

terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Yeah... I dunno if I will be able to dedicate time considering I am moving into my work weekend and will likely have to coin the vast majority of the words in the translation. If I see what I am up against and feel like it is too much within the time span, I may just pass along the torch I was given and back out. I don't really have a 'lang developed enough in Lexicon or grammar to churn anything out quickly.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Post by opipik »

I'd like to participate, unfortunately I don't know which conlang I'll use.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

I'm up for the relay. I'll be using Proto-Kame, and i'd like to work the relay before the end of January if possible.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Sequor
sinic
sinic

Post by Sequor »

I'll participate with my clongo Araya.
hīc sunt linguificēs. hēr bēoþ tungemakeras.
bbbourq
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by bbbourq »

I will also participate with Lortho. I'm always looking for excuses to exercise my language and develop its complexity/flexibility.
https://lortho.conlang.org

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain