Slowarian

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Slowarian

Post by Shemtov »

Slovarian is a the only surviving Central Slavic language, Spoken in the Republic of Slovaria, located in IRL Ukraine's Zarkappattia Oblast, the Eastern Half of Slovakia's Prešov Region and Košice Regions, and Poland's Sanocki, Leski, and Bieszadzki counties. Slovaria was formerly a Soviet satilite state, before the fall of the Iron Curtain. Slovarians were and now after the fall of communism are Catholics.
I will not post Phonology Morphology in this OP, but I will describe the main features of Central Slavic, and Slovarian in piticular. The strong yers became /ə/ which fused with /ɨ/ in Modern Slovarian (Old Slovarian, or more accurately, Slovatian, as the -ar suffix is borrowing from German, when Slovarian was part of Autstrio-Hungery, distinguised between them with <y> /ə/ and <ý> /ɨ/). The nasals were kept, though in most places became /ŋ/, and the dual was productive into the late Slovatian period, and are still used for things that come in pairs, for example, rǫcse "Pair of hands" (Sing. rǫka). It has devoloped, like Polish, retroxflex and palatal series of sibalants. It also devoloped a /ɽ/ from /rʂ/>/ɽ͡r̥/>/ɽ̥ />/ɽ/ and /rʐ/>/ɽ͡r/>/ɽ/.
Last edited by Shemtov on 18 Jan 2018 19:52, edited 2 times in total.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Slowarian

Post by Shemtov »

Phonology and Orthography:
/p pʲ b bʲ t d t͡s d͡z ʈ͡ʂ ɖ͡ʐ t͡ɕ d͡ʑ k/ <p pi~ṕ b bi~b́ t d c dz cs dż ti~ć di~dź k>
/m mʲ n ɲ (e~o)ŋ> m mi~ḿ n ni~ń ę~ǫ>
/f fʲ v vʲ s z ʂ ʐ ɕ ʑ x ɣ~ɦ/ f fi~f́ w wi~ẃ s z sz ż si~ś zi~ź ch h>
/ɽ/ <ṙ>
/r rʲ/ <r ri~ŕ>
/l j/ <l j>

/i ɨ u/ <i~yi y u>
/e o/ <e o>
/a/ <a>

Orthographic notes:
The two ways of spelling a palatalized/palatal consonant depend on its place in the word; before a vowel it is spelled Ci(V), while syllable-finally it is Ć. However, /t͡ɕ d͡ʑ/ are sometimes spelled <ć dź> before a vowel, and very rarely the same applies to /ɕ ʑ/. <y> never occurs after palatalized/palatal consonant, and is used in loanwords in the digraph <yi> to mark /i/ without palatalazation. (This orthographic reform is considered to be "The only good thing" the tyrant Pawel Janowić Usczyksky- 1977-1992- did. After the anti-communist coup, he was tried and convicted by the UN for Crimes Against Humanity- mainly the torture of Catholic priests- he used the instruments attributed to the Spanish Inquisition "...because their book says 'an eye for an eye'. I will show them 'an eye for an eye'.") <ę ǫ> are used word finnally, before <k h>, fricatives, taps, trills, and aproximants for /eŋ oŋ/, while before stops and affricates they assimilate to the POA (em en eɳ eɲ om on oɳ oɲ) and before nasals, gemination of said nasal.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Noun:
To show the dual, I will use examples that come in natural pairs, though the neuter example's as such comes from Usczyksky's regime, and using this word in the dual has the same status in post-Usczyksky Slovaria as the Swastika in Modern Germany (Basically, only in educational, historical contexts, and even then, the exact language sorounding it must follow government guidelines, as it is too painful and offensive for most older Slovarians to hear.)
The noun has Three Genders, Masculine, Feminine and Neuter, five cases, Nominative, Accusative, Genitive, Dative, and Oblique (or prepositional, but post-Usczyksky grammarians prefer <Oblyik> as "Prepositional" reminds them of Russian and in his early days, the Soviets had a tight grasp on Usczyksky, though he sort of became their version of what the Kims are to the PRC), and two numbers, singular and plural, though as noted, natural pairs have a dual form.
Most nouns ending in a consonant are Masculine, All nouns ending in -a (except natural masculines) are feminine, as are a few nouns ending in a palatalized/palatal consonant, but there has been some flatening, so they are rare, so we will not consider them, and those ending in -e -o or loanwords that end in vowels other then <a> are neuter.

Masculine: Bryw "eyebrow"
Singular:
Nominative: Bryw
Accusative Bryw
Genitive: Brywa
Dative: Brywu
Oblique: Brywoḿ
Dual:
Nom-Acc: Brywy
Genitive: Brywowu
Dative-Oblique: Bryẃmia
Plural:
Nominative: Brywi
Accusative Brywy
Genitive: Bryẃ
Dative: Brywoḿ
Oblique: Brywy

Feminine: Rǫka "Hand"
Nominative: Rǫka
Accusative Rǫkǫ
Genitive: Rǫky
Dative: Rǫke
Oblique: Rǫkojo
Dual:
Nom-Acc: Rǫcse
Genitive: Rǫku
Dative-Oblique: Rǫkama
Plural:
Nominative: Rǫky
Accusative Rǫky
Genitive: Rǫcs
Dative: Rǫkaḿ
Oblique: Rǫkami

Neuter: Slowo "Word"
Nominative: Slowo
Accusative Slowo
Genitive: Slowese
Dative: Sloweś
Oblique: Sloweseḿ
Dual*:
Nom-Acc: Slowesa
Genitive: Slowesu
Dative-Oblique: Slowes
Plural:
Nominative: Slowy
Accusative Slowy
Genitive: Sloẃ
Dative: Slowaḿ
Oblique: Slowami

*"Slowesa" was the term used for Usczyksky's "State Motto" "Atyijest Tawarisi" "Athiest Comrades", it was wriiten over every public building's entrance, it was on his regime's Slovarian flag, and he required all classes and public events to begin with everyone placing their hands on their hearts and saying "Po Atyijesty Tawarisi" "For the Atheist Comrades" or later in his reign, just "Po Slowes"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Personal pronouns:
1P sing:
Nominative: Jaź
Accusative: Mę
Genitive: Mene
Dative: Myń
Oblique: Minieję

1P Plural:
Nominative: My
Accusative: Ny
Genitive: Naś
Dative: Naḿ
Oblique: Nami

2P sing:
Nominative: Ty
Accusative: Tę
Genitive: Tebe
Dative: Ti/Ći
Oblique: Toboję

2P Plr:
Nominative: Vy
Accusative: Vy
Genitive: Vaś
Dative: Vaḿ
Oblique: Vami

3P Masc Sing:
Nominative: Oń
Accusative: I
Genitive: Jeho
Dative: Jeḿ
Oblique: Iḿ

3P Fem Sing:
Nominative: Ona
Accusative: Jęju
Genitive: Jeję
Dative: Jej
Oblique: Jeję

3P Neut. Sing:
Nominative: Ono
Accusative: Je
Genitive: Jeho
Dative: Jeḿ
Oblique: Iḿ

3P Plr.
Nominative: Oni
Accusative: Ję
Genitive: Ich
Dative: Imi
Oblique: Imi
Last edited by Shemtov on 19 Jan 2018 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Conjugation of the Present tense verb:
Most verbs have an infinitive ending in -eć, which is lopped of for the conjugations. The dual is treated as a plural.
Verb "Wideć" "To see"
1P sing: Widǫ
1P PlR Wideḿ
2P Sing: Wideś
2P Plr: Widete
3P Sing: Wideć
3P Plr: Widǫć

Widǫ jeho rǫcse wi zirkaleseḿ
"I see his hands in [a] mirror"
Last edited by Shemtov on 19 Jan 2018 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Slowarian has a very active copula.
Infinitive: Być
Present Tense:
1P sing: Esiḿ
1P PlR Esemy
2P Sing: Eś
2P Plr: Este
3P Sing: Eć
3P Plr: Sǫć

Oni sǫć Slowesa!
"The are the Two Words!"

Esiḿ Slowarysk; eś Polysk
"I am Slowarian; You are Polish"

The past tense is formed by -l in most singular cases; -ij if the verb root ends in a soft (Palatal) consonant and in plurals. They do not decline for person, but for gender and number
Verb "Wideć" "To see"
Masculine: Widel
Feminine: Widla
Neuter: Widlo
Plural: Widij

Verb "Znajeć" "To Know"
Masculine: Znajij
Feminine: Znajija
Neuter: Znajijo
Plural: Znajiji

Ona widla knihy
"She saw books"

My znajiji Jan
"We knew Jan"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

History of the Phonology and the Orthography:
To understand the history of the Slowarian language, one must know that before it became part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, it was part of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth. This means that there are a lot of Polish doublets in Slowarian.
Aside from the introduction of <yi>, the Orthography was codified after independence based on a 1909 work by nationalist grammarian Węclaw Lukaszowić Rachowsky
The phoneme represented by <h> comes from Proto-Slavic /g/, and until c. 1750 was pronounced as [ɣ] in all positions. However, in the modern language it is realized as [ɣ] only syllable finally or, in (mostly Polish) loanwords <H>C sequences, but before a vowel or intervocally is pronounced [h]. Before Rachowsky, it was sometimes spelled as <g> when it is realized as [ɣ]. Borrowings from before the shift, from languages with /g/ were rendered by /ɣ/, while after the shift, it is <k> /k/, except when it would be pronounced as [ɣ]. Thus, the Polish doublet Bżeh [bʐeɣ] "Shoreline" (vs. Native Bereh [bereɣ] "Riverbed"), the Russian loan Hlasnać [ɣlasnat͡ɕ] "Glasnost" and the Medical <Kastryik> "Pertaining to the stomach." German loan <Kifty> "chemical warfare".
Before Rachowsky, <ṙ> was originally rendered /rż/ /rrz/ /rsz/, as the shift only happened c. 1800. It is a rare phoneme, the most common word that it occurs being <Aṙyn>, originally a unit of length roughly equivalent to an Imperial Yard, but now means "Small Corridor"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Past Copula is irregular, inflecting for person, and only gender in the 3P sing. Its root is Byl~Byj, as *lʲ>j. The Eastern Dialect pronounces <byj> as [bij], and since the fall of Usczyksky's Communist regime, their has been a "Party for the Eastern Dialect", as Rachowsky based the standard on the dialect of Huḿno, which was the proposed capital for an Independent Slowaria, which it became, who propose the incorporation of Eastern Dialectical Features into the Standard, including changing <Byj> to <Byij>.
Conjugation:
1P sing: Byjiḿ
1P PlR Bylmy
2P Sing: Byjś
2P Plr: Byle
3P Sing. Masculine: Byl
3P Sing Feminine: Byla
3P Sing Neuter: Bylo
3P Plural: Byjij

Byl tyran Usczyksky
"He was the tyrant Usczyksky"

Bylmy zemianići
"We were farmers"

Byjij wyzrazićnići
"They were resistance fighters"

Byjiḿ śmykmachar
"I was a jeweler"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Like most Slavic languages, Slowarian distinguishes between the Imperfect and Perfect, with the latter only occurring in the past and future tenses (Though the future tense uses the present forms).
A distinguishing feature of Central Slavic is the very common use of suppletion for perfect vs. imperfect pairs, the former coming from the Proto-Slavic Infinitive root: IMP: Wojujeć PERF: Woreweć "To declare war; to politically persecute".
Kohydy Tyirant Usczyksky worewel Kapyitalyisty, oń wojujel Katolyiky
"When the Tyrant Usczyksky had persecuted Capitalists, he persecuted Catholics"

Prefixed Perfectives are usually loans from the surrounding Slavic languages, or from German, with prefixes added based on analogy.
IMP: Piseć PERF: Napiseć "To write"
Kohydy Rachowsky napisel Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća, Wolf pisel Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat
"When Rachowsky had written The Grammar of the Slowarian Language, Wolf wrote Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat

Imp: Blyceć Perf: Poblyceć "To attack suddenly" (from English "Blitz" from German "Blitzkrieg")
Kohydy Tyirant Usczyksky poblycel Gylowija Katedrǫ Slowara, oń blycel mene parafia cyrkǫ
"When the Tyrant Usczyksky had attacked the Chief Cathedral of Slowaria, he attacked my parish church"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I'm returning this project after a break.
A cultural note: Though freedom of speech is protected by the post-Usczyksky constitution, the government requires that news anchors can only describe themselves as " Slowara Ęzyća" "Slowarian language" if they "overwhelmingly use the form described in the current edition of the Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća Medyiwy [Media Slowarian Grammer, based on Rachowsky, with regular updates]" otherwise, they must pay fines and "report the offense, and punish the offending anchor according to government recomendations", as this is seen as a "False Advertising Law"; otherwise, they must describe themselves as a "Dajalekt" program.

To turn a sentence into a question, the Particle "Czy" is placed before the sentence:
Czy kohydy Rachowsky napisel Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća, Wolf pisel Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat

"Was it when Rochowsky wrote Grammar of the Slowarian Languge that Wolf wrote Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat ?"

In the eastern dialects, and throughout the country by teenagers and 20-somethings, the question particle of surprise is Ći:
Ći kohydy Rachowsky napisel Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća, Wolf pisel Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat

"Was it really when Rochowsky wrote Grammar of the Slowarian Languge that Wolf wrote Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat ?"

This is considered "Dajalekt", but since the 2012 edition of Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća Medyiwy, local stations in certain eastern areas are exempt.

To ask a question about a specific element, that element takes a rising tone, but in the written language, the particle ji comes after the element. The Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća Medyiwy says that anchors must pronounce it in "reading Governmental material", but otherwise it is unpronounced, and is just punctuation:
Kohydy Rachowsky napisel Kramatyk Slowara Ęzyća, Wolf ji pisel Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat
"When Rachowsky had written The Grammar of the Slowarian Language, was it Wolf who wrote Schreiben die Slowarisch Sprache Ist Verrat?"

To express "have" the copula, plus the owner in the dative is used:
Rǫcse eć myń
"I have two hands"
Literally "Two hands are to me"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

As a productive suffix, to form agent nouns, there are three suffixes used, one for native roots, one for Polish/German loanwords, and one for International/modern words:
-ik/yk:
Pisyk " Professional Writer"
Widyk "Guard"
Widyka "Female Guard"

-ar:
Kiftar "User of poison gas"
Bżehar "Someone who frequents beaches"

-yist/yst
Usczykskyst "Supporter of Usczyksky"
Teknolokyist "Supporter of Technology"

To make it in opposition, one prefix is used for native words, and Polish and well established German words, and one for International or modern words:
Bes/bez:
Bespisyk "Anti-Literate; Censor"
Bezwidyk "Privacy Advocate"

Konter:
Konterusczykskyst "Anti-Usczykskyst"
Konterteknolokyist "Luddite"
-JRR Tolkien