American English Derived Collablang!

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
User avatar
Ælfwine
greek
greek
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon 21 Sep 2015, 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Ælfwine » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 04:02

1. B
2. A
3. F (Shimo's option)
idov
sinic
sinic
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon 13 Apr 2015, 20:02

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by idov » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 04:35

1. B
2. A
3. B, D & E
The accusative of <emo> is <eminem>. :lat:
User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu 11 May 2017, 00:47
Location: California

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by spanick » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 04:35

1. A
2. C
3. F (Shimo’s suggestion)
Cavaliers327
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue 14 Mar 2017, 23:21

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Cavaliers327 » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 03:59

1. A
2. A
3. F(shimo's suggestion)
Hominid
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat 20 May 2017, 22:33

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Hominid » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 18:18

CarsonDaConlanger wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 16:21
No, just GA diphthongs for now.
But GA uses Canadian raising for /aɪ/.
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 9807
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:26

Hominid wrote:
Sat 17 Mar 2018, 18:18
CarsonDaConlanger wrote:
Thu 15 Mar 2018, 16:21
No, just GA diphthongs for now.
But GA uses Canadian raising for /aɪ/.
Really? Since when? According to whom?

Certainly a wide variety of dialects/accents exhibit /aɪ̯/ raising, mine included, but I've never heard anyone claim that it's a feature of General American before.

I don't mean to be rude; I'm just curious where you're getting your information from. You may be right.
User avatar
Creyeditor
mongolian
mongolian
Posts: 4294
Joined: Tue 14 Aug 2012, 18:32

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Creyeditor » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:57

Not a source I can refer you to, but, but one of the phonology postdocs here (IIRC) said that GA has /aɪ̯/-raising in a more restricted set of contexts, than Canadian raising. Also there seems to be at least some variation and inter-speaker variation. Also:
Wikipedia wrote:Raising of just /aɪ/ is found throughout the United States, and so may be considered an increasingly common General American characteristic, with the only major exception in the U.S. being in the South.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 9807
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by shimobaatar » Sat 17 Mar 2018, 23:01

Creyeditor wrote:
Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:57
Not a source I can refer you to, but, but one of the phonology postdocs here (IIRC) said that GA has /aɪ̯/-raising in a more restricted set of contexts, than Canadian raising. Also there seems to be at least some variation and inter-speaker variation.
All correct.
Creyeditor wrote:
Sat 17 Mar 2018, 22:57
Also:
Wikipedia wrote:Raising of just /aɪ/ is found throughout the United States, and so may be considered an increasingly common General American characteristic, with the only major exception in the U.S. being in the South.
I've heard something similar before as well, but without the mention of GA. Interesting.
User avatar
CarsonDaConlanger
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu 02 Nov 2017, 20:55

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by CarsonDaConlanger » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:23

shimobaatar wrote:
Fri 16 Mar 2018, 03:15
Why do the question numbers go back to 1 every round? Just a personal preference of the organizer?
Pretty much yeah. I see a lot of questions coming and I don't like double digits in numbering so I just restart. It's also easier for me to remember.
Hominid wrote:
Sat 17 Mar 2018, 18:18
But GA uses Canadian raising for /aɪ/.
I think we should vote on this.
Results are in, sorry for being lazy.
1(b): The shift in vowels will trend toward less vowels
2(a): eɩ oʊ>e: o:
3(f): aɩ aʊ>?
1: aɩ aʊ
What should they monophthongize to?
A:aɩ aʊ>a a
B:aɩ aʊ>ɩ ʊ
C:Something else
2: Canadian raising for aɩ
Should we do it?
A: Yes!
B: No!
C: Trees!
3: Close vowels(i ɩ u ʊ)
What should we do?
A: Leave it
B: i ɩ u ʊ> i i u u
C: i ɩ u ʊ>i: i u: u
D: Something else
4: Open vowels (æ ɑ)
What shall be their fates?
A: Nothing! Leave those poor vowels alone!
B: Merge them to /a/
C: Merge them to /ɑ/
D: Merge them to /æ/
E: Something else
5: ʌ
What shall we do with this baby?
A: Nothing
B: Merge to ǝ
C: Merge with ǝ to ʌ
D: Round it to ɔ
E: Merge with the open vowels(tell me how you would like for that to go)
F: Something else
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 9807
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 13:04

1: c (aɪ̯ aʊ̯ > e o)
2: a
3: d (i ɪ u ʊ > i e u o)
4: b
5: b
User avatar
Ælfwine
greek
greek
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon 21 Sep 2015, 00:28
Location: New Jersey

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Ælfwine » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 17:00

CarsonDaConlanger wrote:
Wed 21 Mar 2018, 12:23
shimobaatar wrote:
Fri 16 Mar 2018, 03:15
Why do the question numbers go back to 1 every round? Just a personal preference of the organizer?
Pretty much yeah. I see a lot of questions coming and I don't like double digits in numbering so I just restart. It's also easier for me to remember.
Hominid wrote:
Sat 17 Mar 2018, 18:18
But GA uses Canadian raising for /aɪ/.
I think we should vote on this.
Results are in, sorry for being lazy.
1(b): The shift in vowels will trend toward less vowels
2(a): eɩ oʊ>e: o:
3(f): aɩ aʊ>?
1: aɩ aʊ
What should they monophthongize to?
A:aɩ aʊ>a a
B:aɩ aʊ>ɩ ʊ
C:Something else
2: Canadian raising for aɩ
Should we do it?
A: Yes!
B: No!
C: Trees!
3: Close vowels(i ɩ u ʊ)
What should we do?
A: Leave it
B: i ɩ u ʊ> i i u u
C: i ɩ u ʊ>i: i u: u
D: Something else
4: Open vowels (æ ɑ)
What shall be their fates?
A: Nothing! Leave those poor vowels alone!
B: Merge them to /a/
C: Merge them to /ɑ/
D: Merge them to /æ/
E: Something else
5: ʌ
What shall we do with this baby?
A: Nothing
B: Merge to ǝ
C: Merge with ǝ to ʌ
D: Round it to ɔ
E: Merge with the open vowels(tell me how you would like for that to go)
F: Something else
1. B
2. A
3. D. > ai i au u
4. B
5. B
vo1dwalk3r
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon 17 Mar 2014, 22:37
Location: dʰǵʰémi
Contact:

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by vo1dwalk3r » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 17:17

1. C (Shimo's suggestion)
2. A
3. D: i > i, ɪ > ǝ, u > au, ʊ > ə
4. A
5. B
User avatar
spanick
greek
greek
Posts: 510
Joined: Thu 11 May 2017, 00:47
Location: California

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by spanick » Wed 21 Mar 2018, 17:53

1. C (ai > εː ; au > ɔː
2. C
3. C
4. E (æ > ε ; ɑ > æ)
5. B
Nachtuil
sinic
sinic
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 23:16

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Nachtuil » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 02:24

1. (Shimo's suggestions is good)
2. A
3. C
4. B
5. B
User avatar
CarsonDaConlanger
cuneiform
cuneiform
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu 02 Nov 2017, 20:55

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by CarsonDaConlanger » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:21

I would like to give Shimobaatar recognition for the cool new ideas I wouldn't have thought of, pretty much each round he has something cool to add. Keep it up!
Results are in:
1: c(Shimo's)- aɩ aʊ >e o
2: a- wait a sec, we just removed aɩ lol
3: d(tied so I picked Shimo's)-i>i u>u ɩ>e ʊ>o
4: b-æ,ɑ>a
5: b-ʌ>ǝ
Now onto the last round of our vowel shift:
1: e: e ɛ
We have a lot of front mid vowels. Should we keep this, or change it?
A. Keep it
B. ɛ>e
C. e>ɛ
D. Something else
2: should /a/ be counted as a front vowel (thus palatalizing consonants)?
A: Yes
B: No
C: Something else
3: Should be delete final vowels?
A: No
B: Yes
C: Only where it would make a legal syllable
D: Something else
shimobaatar
darkness
darkness
Posts: 9807
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013, 22:09
Location: PA → IN

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by shimobaatar » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 19:50

CarsonDaConlanger wrote:
Wed 28 Mar 2018, 12:21
I would like to give Shimobaatar recognition for the cool new ideas I wouldn't have thought of
Ahh, thank you, that's very nice of you to say!

1: c
2: b
3: d (Delete short non-high vowels, lower short high vowels, and shorten long vowels word-finally, unless deletion would result in an illegal syllable.)
Nachtuil
sinic
sinic
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 23:16

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Nachtuil » Wed 28 Mar 2018, 21:49

1. C (I could go either way with A or C honestly)
2. B
3. A
Nachtuil
sinic
sinic
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 23:16

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Nachtuil » Wed 11 Apr 2018, 01:05

clear! *bump*
idov
sinic
sinic
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon 13 Apr 2015, 20:02

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by idov » Fri 13 Apr 2018, 06:06

1. B
2. A
3. D (Shimo's suggestion)

Hmm. It's like it's telling me something. What is the inventory like, by the way, at this stage?
The accusative of <emo> is <eminem>. :lat:
Nachtuil
sinic
sinic
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed 20 Jul 2016, 23:16

Re: American English Derived Collablang!

Post by Nachtuil » Sat 14 Apr 2018, 04:22

I am curious too. I am interested to see what happens when we get to grammar too.
Post Reply