Adhrynn

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Scytheria
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Adhrynn

Post by Scytheria »

Hi all,

I thought I'd bite the bullet and present the first part of my artlang outline. Adhrinn Part 1 covers the script, the sounds of the language, the structure of root words and nouns (plural of four types, diminutive, augmentative, derogatory, possessive, attributive forms). Number, pronouns and verb handling to follow when presentable. I'm afraid, because of the conscript and lots of tables, I've had to present it as an online readable PDF. Anyway, hope this is of interest to somebody!

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/ ... -version-1
I went for a ride on a spaceship [O.O]
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Re: Adhrynn

Post by DV82LECM »

Anadhm dhryn!

I adore Celtic/Gaelic orthographies [for some reason]. Might you lay out the IPA in chart form for those of us without a functionally detail-oriented memory?
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Scytheria
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Scytheria »

Funny, I didn't purposefully pursue a pseudo-Celtic/Gaelic orthography, but it does seem to have ended up that way. It's really more of the fantasised Celtic that results in spurious use of fh's and dh's and gh's to avoid mundane v's, th's and phlegm's. Add a y for good measure as a vowel, and you're well set with the Druid types.

Thanks for putting the first phrase in the language (other than my own) together, although I'll have to give you the accolade of making the first grammatical boo-boo at the same time... It should have been dhryn anadhm, but hey, after one lesson, not bad and the sentiment is very much appreciated! [:D]

I'm not an IPA expert, but in rough form (no chart, sorry):

m --> m m̩ (syllabic)
mm --> m:
n --> n
nn --> n:
b --> p b
d --> t d
c --> k
g --> g x
h --> ʔ h
f --> f
fh --> v
dh --> θ ð
gh --> ɣ
s --> s
ss --> s:
l --> l
ll --> l:
r --> ɹ (before a vowel)
rr --> ɹ: (before a vowel)

Vowels... lots, but nothing weird. TBH the consonants are fairly mainstream too, but the idea has always been to make something I can actually speak rather than gargle.
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

I kinda thought I WRONGLY put the phrase. Anyway, thanks for the IPA. The [g~x] distiction away from lone [k] and [ɣ] is odd, but I am sure it has historical correspondence. I say that knowing I am the master of highly questionable allophony. (Currently, I am working on a seemingly-Papuan-themed language called Eathut. Allophony is rife.)

Update: Looking at this, you might have one of my FAVORITE, new conlangs.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Could actually be learnt. Regular. Developed from first principles. Before things start to look like they have been done before. Avoided using especially complex linguistic jargon. Adhrynn script. No genders, no cases, no articles.
So many neat features. Like. +1.

Also, don't worry about using an external site for your content. In another thread, I presented my conlang as a pdf too because most conlang forums don't have basic features that support conscripts unfortunately.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Scytheria
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Scytheria »

BTW - not a flash-in-the-pan dead project. The verb phrase definitions are just taking a little longer to present sensibly. I'm hoping for a major addition to the existing outline in about a week.
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Scytheria wrote: 06 Apr 2018 11:11 BTW - not a flash-in-the-pan dead project. The verb phrase definitions are just taking a little longer to present sensibly. I'm hoping for a major addition to the existing outline in about a week.
Certainly happy that you are creating more.

http://web.archive.org/web/200910191951 ... 01_uk.html

Almaq(u)erin, one of my favorite con-languages from WAY back in the day. Yours is the first I've seen which hearkens me back to it.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I finally got around to reading this. Seems promising so far with a few interesting details like the derogatory and other noun endings. Do you think you'll have the dual number existing in a few places such as verb conjugation or is it just for the marking on some specific nouns?

Don't worry about a short delay in your update schedule. People will work on languages for years sometimes. Even if not, a language is never truly dead till you destroy the documentation. [:P] I enjoy the unconventional orthography. I am completely unfamiliar with celtic orthographic conventions so maybe they are quite normal, I have no idea.
Scytheria
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Scytheria »

Righto, major update made. Version 1.2 now includes, as promised, the number, pronoun and basic tense/verb system. A few corrections here and there too. This was a bit of a beast to put together, and I think my explanations may need some work. It's tricky to explain things in English which English can't do (well), and this often results in some clumsy English renderings of Adhrynn sentences. Anyway, there are plenty of examples for things. I anticipate some typos and errors, but they'll soon enough get smoothed out. Sentence patterns, verb linking and modality to follow...

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/ ... dhrynn-v12
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Very intriguing. Would actually learn this.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I like this whole thread; not only the creator’s posts, but also the responders’ posts.
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

I just wanna give some five-years-later love to this brilliant language. I refuse to let good conlangs die. This was truly one of my favorites. I am finally taking a deep look at the grammar, and it is brilliant. I hope the creator is doing well.

A pretty comprehensive grammar is still available in the second "yumpu" link. If you are new, take a look!
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨