ᴀᶥᴀᴛᴜɴ Scratchpad

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

ᴀᶥᴀᴛᴜɴ Scratchpad

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

ᴀᶥᴀᴛᴜɴ [ˈɑ.ʔɑ.ʈʉɳ ] is both the home galaxy and official language of the Skaran Empire. The language used aspirated, tenuis, and ejective stops. Speakers aspirated or ejected [ p t d s z k g j ] before mid vowels [ ᴇ ⱺ ]. Eventually, aspirated consonants evolved into, sometimes different, fricatives ([ pʰ→f ]). Could ejective consonants have become non-ejective ([ kʼ→k ])? While [ t d ] [ s z ] and their derivatives were interchangeable at the time, [ p b ] weren't because their <v> Romanization has always been [ ʋ ], never [ bʱ v w ]. Romanizations marked with an asterisk (*) below are interchangeable with their voiced counterparts. [ ʕ ] has always been the pharyngeal approximant, never its fricative counterpart. Syllable structure is (C)V(C), where V is always a monophthong because diphthongs don't exist.

Nakona [ ˈɴɑ.ʠⱺ.ɴɑ→ˈɴɑ.qⱺ.ɴɑ ]
Nakeri [ ɴɑˈkʰᴇrʲ ]→Naxeri [ ɴɑˈχᴇʂ ]
Thanos [ ˈƭhɑ.ɴⱺs→ˈθɑ.ɴⱺs ]

The language treats the character representing [ i j ] and <ϙ>, which represents [ ɑ ʕ ], as semivowels. This means certain words, such as Aʻatun, would, logically, have the approximant before the vowel in local script. To avoid this, the approximant has a tilde above it. Thus, Aʻatun is spelled ϙϙ͂tuɤ locally. I will replace <tu> with the local characters when I figure them out. α represents their sun, and ɤ represents a ram's horn.

Original Aʻatun alphabet and Romanization
<?> (p) <?> (b) <?> (s*) <?> (k) <?> (t*) <?> (g) <?> (h) <?> (r) <?> (v) <?> (m) <ɤ> (n) <?> (i; <?> [ ji ]) <ϙ> (a ʻ; <ϙ͂> [ ʕɑ ]) <?> (u) <?> (e) <?> (o)

Current Aʻatun alphabet and Romanization
<?> (p*) <?> (s*) <?> (k) <?> (t*) <?> (g) <?> (h) <?> (f) <?> (r) <?> (v) <?> (m) <ɤ> (n) <?> (i; <?> [ ji ]) <ϙ> (a ʻ; <ϙ͂> [ ʕɑ ]) <?> (u) <?> (e) <?> (o)
Last edited by yangfiretiger121 on 23 Aug 2018 13:00, edited 14 times in total.
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Re: Aʻatun Scratchpad

As of now, I have {y u} leveling into {ʉ]. Is this likely, or are {y u} far enough apart acoustically to remain separate?
Last edited by yangfiretiger121 on 24 Aug 2018 16:55, edited 2 times in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

It’s probably just my guess, but, I’d say it’s not unlikely.

It is true, as you seem to know, that front-back differences in articulation, make a more-detectable difference in the sounds, between close (high) vowels like [ y u ], than between open (low) vowels.
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Thank you. Wikipedia doesn't mention retroflex consonants contrasting with alveolars or post alveolars anywhere (mentions allophony though). Are retroflexes known to contrast with their alveolar/post-alveolar counterparts?
Last edited by yangfiretiger121 on 24 Aug 2018 16:53, edited 4 times in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

yangfiretiger121 wrote: 22 Jun 2018 16:39 Thank you. Wikipedia doesn't mention retroflex consonants contrasting with alveolars or post alveolars anywhere (mentions allophony though). Are retroflexes known to contrast with their alveolar/post-alveolar counterparts?
Look it up on PHOIBLE or UPSID. Both sites are on CBB’s “Resources” thread.
Edit: Tamil and some other Dravidian languages definitely contrast retroflex vs alveolar. Maybe one of them also contrasts postalveolar. It seems easy to make the three-way distinction both in articulating it and in hearing it, especially for fricatives but also for stops and one or two other manners of articulation.
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Thanks again. A few of the names in the setting have <mr nr> sequences. Could both of these assimilate into [ ʀ̃ ] before [ ⱺ ɑ ] (usually [ ɑ ]), or would they have to be [ ᵐʀ ᶰʀ ] as [ r̃ ] is the only nasal trill in the IPA?
Last edited by yangfiretiger121 on 24 Aug 2018 16:54, edited 2 times in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

To the best of my knowledge that would be up to you.
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Here's the working phoneme chart accompanied by its Romanization.

Notes on the chart below:
(Parenthetical) phones are allophones ([ ɳ ʈ ʈ͡ʂ ʈ͡ɽ ʂ͡ɽ ɽ͡r ] of [ n t tʳ sʳ t͡ʃ r ] when sharing a syllable with [ ʉ ]; [ ɴ q ɢ q͡χ χ ʀ ʀ̃ ] of [ n k g k͡x x r r̃ ] when sharing a syllable with [ ⱺ ɑ ])
Asterisk-trailed (-*) phones show [ m→n ] assimilation (+ Additionally, before [ p̪͡f f ʋ k x q χ ])
Carrot-trailed (-^) phones are interchangeable with their voiced counterparts

/m n (ɳ) ɲ* ŋ*+ (ɴ)/ (<m n ni* ng*+>)
/p^ t^ (ʈ)^ c ɟ k g (q ɢ)/ (<p^ t^ ki gi k g>)
/p̪͡f p͡ʃ^ t̪͡θ^ t͡ʃ^ (ʈ͡ʂ ʈ͡ɽ ʂ͡ɽ)^ t͡ʲɕ^ k͡x ɡ͡ɣ (q͡χ)/ (<pf pi^ tth^ ti^ kx ggh>)
/f θ^ s^ ʃ^ ʂ^ ɕ^ ç ʝ x ɣ (χ) h/ (<f th^ s^ sh^ xi ih x gh h>)
/ʋ r r̃ (ɽ͡r) j (ʀ ʀ̃) ʕ/ (<v r nr* i ʻ>)
[tʳ sʳ]^ (<tr^ sr^>)
/ɑ ᴇ i ⱺ ʉ/ (<a e í o u>)
Last edited by yangfiretiger121 on 23 Aug 2018 13:01, edited 2 times in total.
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Aʻatun is officially Romanized in small caps because the local script is single-case. As long as this topic isn't too far out of date, I'll add new words to this post demarcated by a triple em-dash (———) and the date. It should be presumed that each prefix below has been combined with each unit below. The pharyngeal fricative (/ʕ/) became either the glottal affricate (/ʔ͡h/) before /ᴇ ⱺ/ because of a modification to the aspiration rule or the glottal stop (/ʔ/) before /i ʉ ɑ/.

Additions to the lexicon (alphabetized as in a local dictionary):

1. ᴕʜᴇ [ˈʔ͡hᴇ]: Prefix meaning 1,000-2/3 and, thus, equivalent to metric centi-. (Sym.: ᴕ) (added 8/8/18)
———
2. ᴘʀᴀʀ ['ʙ̥ɑr]: Prefix meaning 1,0001 and, thus, equivalent to metric kilo-. (Sym.: ᴘʀ) (pron. updated 8/23/2018)
3. ᴘʀᴀʀᴠᴀꜱʜᴏ ['ʙ̥ɑ.ʙ̪ɑ.ɕⱺ]: Length measurement equivalent to 1.016 kilometres. (Sym.: ᴘʀᴠ) (spelling/pron. updated 8/23/2018)
———
4. ᴘᴊᴜ [ˈp͡ɕʉ]: Prefix meaning 1,000-1/3 and, thus, equivalent to metric deci-. (Sym.: ᴘ) (added 8/7/18)
5. ᴢʀᴀɴ [ˈɼɑn]: Prefix meaning 1,0002 and, thus, equivalent to metric mega-. (Sym.: ᴢ) (added 8/7/18; spelling/pron. updated 8/23/2018)
———
6. ᴋᴊᴀ [ˈc͡çɑᵛ]: Prefix meaning 1,000-1 and, thus, equivalent to metric milli-. (Sym.: ᴋ)
7. ᴘʀᴀᴊʀᴏxᴜᴢʜ ['ʙ̥ɑ.jro.xʉʑ]: The base unit of mass, which is equivalent to 0.9525440.9979 of a kilogram (Sym.: ᴘʀᴊ) (definition updated 8/7/18; pron. updated 8/23/2018)
8. ɢᴊᴏ ['ɟ͡ʝo]: Prefix meaning 1,0002/3 and, thus, equivalent to metric hecto-. (Sym.: ɢ) (pron. updated 8/23/2018)
9. ᴠᴀꜱʜᴏ ['vɑ.ɕo]: The base unit of length, which is equivalent to 1.016 metres (Sym.: ᴠ) (spelling updated 8/23/2018)
10. ᴊʀᴏxᴜᴢʜ [jro'xʉʑ]: Mass measurement equivalent to 0.9525440.9979 of a gram (Sym.: ᴊ) (definition updated 8/7/18; pron. updated 8/23/2018)
11. ᴊᴇᴢʜ ['ʝeʑ]: Prefix meaning 1,0001/3 and, thus, equivalent to metric deca-. (Sym.: ᴊ) (pron. updated 8/23/2018)
———
12. ɴᴊᴇ [ˈʝ̃eᵛ]: Prefix meaning 1,000-2 and, thus, equivalent to metric micro-. (Sym.: ᴊ̃) (added 8/7/18; pron. updated 8/23/2018)

Code: Select all

Prefix     Symbol     Base     Decimal     Translation
ᴢʜʀᴀɴ        ᴢ      1,000^2   1,000,000      Million
ᴘʀᴀʀ         ᴘʀ     1,000^1     1,000       Thousand
ɢᴊᴏ          ɢ     1,000^2/3     100         Hundred
ᴊᴇᴢʜ         ᴊ     1,000^1/3     10            Ten
                    1,000^0       1            One
ᴘᴊᴜ          ᴘ     1,000^-1/3    0.1          Tenth
ᴕʜᴇ          ᴕ     1,000^-2/3   0.01        Hundreth
ᴋᴊᴀ          ᴋ      1,000^-1    0.001      Thousandth
ɴᴊᴇ          ɴ      1,000^-2  0.000001      Millionth