Nortsääenglisch

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: Nortsääenglisch

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote: 08 Oct 2018 21:46 For the like two people who were following this, sorry for my absence. New job, second kid...I've been busy. I do intend to keep working on this project.
No need to apologize! Congratulations!
spanick wrote: 10 Oct 2018 19:16 Nortsääenglisch follows what is known as the “Northern Subject Rule” meaning that present tense verbs are conjugated differently depending on whether there is an adjacent pronoun.
Oh, interesting! Is this a phenomenon found in any natlangs, or is this a unique feature of Nortsääenglisch?
spanick wrote: 10 Oct 2018 19:16 Note how in the first example, both verbs take the plural ending –es but in the second example the verb immediately adjacent to the pronoun is marked is –e while the verb disconnected from the pronoun still takes the –es ending.
Wow, so pronouns have to be adjacent as in directly adjacent? I had, for some reason, assumed that just having a pronoun in the same sentence would call for the pronoun-adjacent endings.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 04:18
spanick wrote: 08 Oct 2018 21:46 For the like two people who were following this, sorry for my absence. New job, second kid...I've been busy. I do intend to keep working on this project.
No need to apologize! Congratulations!
Thanks!
spanick wrote: 10 Oct 2018 19:16 Nortsääenglisch follows what is known as the “Northern Subject Rule” meaning that present tense verbs are conjugated differently depending on whether there is an adjacent pronoun.
Oh, interesting! Is this a phenomenon found in any natlangs, or is this a unique feature of Nortsääenglisch?
It was a feature of Northern dialects of late Old English into Middle English. I'm not sure if any living languages exhibit this.
spanick wrote: 10 Oct 2018 19:16 Note how in the first example, both verbs take the plural ending –es but in the second example the verb immediately adjacent to the pronoun is marked is –e while the verb disconnected from the pronoun still takes the –es ending.
Wow, so pronouns have to be adjacent as in directly adjacent? I had, for some reason, assumed that just having a pronoun in the same sentence would call for the pronoun-adjacent endings.
That's right. I kinda figured that assumption would be made, which is why I made that example haha
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Continuative/Progressive Aspect

Nortsääenglisch marks the progressive primarily in two main ways.

1) the first method, which is very common in all dialects is to use züü “to be” followed by on/an dät followed by a gerund of the main verb. The gerundial ending is -en.

Ex: Ik öm an dät wreiten. “I am writing”

2) the second method, which which most commonly found in the eastern dialects uses various positional verbs followed by töö “to” followed by the Infinitive.

Ex:
Ik zit töö vreite. “I’m writing” (Lit. I sit to write)
Ik stann töö beide. “I’m waiting” (Lit. I stand to wait)
Ik lei töö sliipe. “I’m sleeping” (Lit. I lay to sleep)
Last edited by spanick on 16 Apr 2019 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Continuative/Progressive Aspect (Cont.)
Both of the aforementioned methods are transparently influenced by Dutch. Those familiar with this construction may have noticed that I didn't include an equivalent verb for Dutch lopen. In Nortsääenglisch, the cognate to lopen is lääpe "jump" and is not used for this purpose. Instead, the verb gange "to go, walk" is used. Using lääpe instead of gange is a good way to make yourself seem like an outsider as it's most often used by native Dutch speakers or foreigners who have more familiarity with Dutch.

Ex: Ik gaa töö zwime. "I'm swimming" (Lit. I go to swim)

The progressive can also be made past tense by making the auxiliary verb past, regardless of the method:
1. Ik wäs an dät wreiten. "I was writing."
2. Ik zät töö vreite. "I was writing."

The going-to Future
The reason I wanted to separate the progressive use of gange as an auxiliary is because it is very similar to the going-to future. This functions much like English and Dutch and uses gange followed by the infinitive.
Ex:
Ik gaa vreite. "I'm going to write."
Ik gaa gange. "I'm going to go."

This is another construction which is difficult for foreigners, particularly English speakers, becasue of its similarity to the progressive forms and the similarity to the English going-to future.

Example Conjugations
Below, I want to show the full conjugations of three common, irregular verbs: züü "to be"; habe "to have"; and gange "to go"

Infinitive: züü
Past Participle: wese
Present Participle: wesenn

Present (S/P)
1 öm/zinn
2 ärt/zinn
3 is/zinn

Past (S/P)
1 wäs/wäärs
2 wäär/wäärs
3 wäs/wäärs

Infinitive: hawe
Past Participle: had
Present Participle: hawenn

Present (S/P)
1 haw/hawes
2 hast/hawes
3 hat/hawes

Past (S/P)
1 had/hades
2 hadest/hades
3 had/hades

Infinitive: gange
Past Participle: gange
Present Participle: gangenn

Present (S/P)
1 gaa/ganges
2 gääst/ganges
3 gääd/ganges

Past (S/P)
1 güünng/güünges
2 güüngest/güünges
3 güünng/güünges
Last edited by spanick on 16 Apr 2019 00:12, edited 2 times in total.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

spanick wrote: 13 Nov 2018 00:22 1) the first method, which is very common in all dialects is to use züü “to be” followed by on/an dät followed by a gerund of the main verb. The gerundial ending is -en.
Spoiler:
Ex: Ik öm an dät wreiten. “I am writing”
2) the second method, which which most commonly found in the eastern dialects uses various positional verbs followed by töö “to” followed by the Infinitive.
Spoiler:
Ex:
Ik zit töö vreite. “I’m writing” (Lit. I sit to write)
Ik stann töö beide. “I’m waiting” (Lit. I stand to wait)
Ik lei töö sliipe. “I’m sleeping” (Lit. I lay to sleep)
I really like the way the examples sound, if I haven't said so before.

Just to clarify, the first method is found in all dialects, even those that use the second method?

Regarding the second method, can speakers choose which positional verb to use on a case by case basis, or is there a set positional verb used to form the progressive of any given verb? For example, is "sit" always used with "to write", or, if someone were standing while writing, could they say something like "Ik stann töö vreite"?

Also, is there a reason it's "Ik öm an dät wreiten" but "Ik zit töö vreite" (emphasis mine)? Is this an indication of a dialectal difference between a variety of the language that exclusively uses the first method and one that also uses the second?
spanick wrote: 13 Nov 2018 20:04 The going-to Future
The reason I wanted to separate the progressive use of gange as an auxiliary is because it is very similar to the going-to future. This functions much like English and Dutch and uses gange followed by the infinitive.
Ex:
Ik gaa vreite. "I'm going to write."
Ik gaa gange. "I'm going to go."

This is another construction which is difficult for foreigners, particularly English speakers, becasue of its similarity to the progressive forms and the similarity to the English going-to future.
Oh, so the only difference is the use of "töö"?
spanick wrote: 13 Nov 2018 20:04 Example Conjugations
Below, I want to show the full conjugations of three common, irregular verbs: züü "to be"; habe "to have"; and gange "to go"
Looks good!
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Jan 2019 04:08 I really like the way the examples sound, if I haven't said so before.
Thank you. I'm very pleased with the aesthetic of Nortsääenglisch.
Just to clarify, the first method is found in all dialects, even those that use the second method?
Yeah. Like in the western dialects you'd hear like 90% method 1 and 10% method 2 but in the east it's more like 30/70.
Regarding the second method, can speakers choose which positional verb to use on a case by case basis, or is there a set positional verb used to form the progressive of any given verb? For example, is "sit" always used with "to write", or, if someone were standing while writing, could they say something like "Ik stann töö vreite"?
Technically yes, but mostly no. Most verbs have an associated positional verb that commonly goes with them. Even if another verb could work, the verb most associated with it would be used. For example, you'd get funny looms for saying "Ik lei töö vreite" even though you could theoretically be lying down and writinf.
Also, is there a reason it's "Ik öm an dät wreiten" but "Ik zit töö vreite" (emphasis mine)? Is this an indication of a dialectal difference between a variety of the language that exclusively uses the first method and one that also uses the second?
Not particularly. I just like to emphasize the non-standardized orthography by being inconsistent in my own posts.
Oh, so the only difference is the use of "töö"?
Yep. That's another thing that makes it killer for outsiders.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I've been wanting to rework Nortsääenglisch a little bit. Particularly, I've come to believe that the current Orthography is too German influenced. I hope this Orthography will have the aesthetic of a heavy dose of Middle English/Early Scots with West Frisian. I've also made a couple tweaks to the grammar in attempt to stick closer to the idea that Nortsääenglisch derives from Northern dialects of Late Old English/Early Middle English. Finally, this language will be referred to as Weddisch /vɛdɪʃ/. The language is named for the Wadden Sea, along which the speakers are spread.

Orthography

Consonants
/p t k b d g/ <p t k b d g>
/f s~z ʃ~ʒ h~x v/ <f s sch h~ch v~w>
/m n ŋ/ <m n ng>
/mː nː ŋː/ <mm nn nng>
/l/ <l>
/r/ <r>

Short Vowels
/ɪ ʏ ʊ/ <i ú u>
/ɛ œ ə ɔ/ <e ó e o>
/a/ <a>

Long Vowels
/iː yː uː/ <ie~i úe~ú uu~u
/ɛː øː ɔː/ <ea~e óe~ó oo~o>
/aː/ <aa~a>

Diphthongs
/ɛɪ œʏ/ <ey~y ui~uy>
/iʊ ɛʊ oʊ/ <iu~iw eu~ew ou~ow
/aʊ/ <au~aw>

Notes:
Short vowels are written as a single vowel followed by a single consonant in a closed syllable or doubled consonants in an open syllable.
Ex: schip /ʒɪp/ "ship" but schippe /ʒɪpə/ "ships"

Long vowels are written as a single vowel in an open syllable. In closed syllables, the vowel is always written double.
Ex: baan /baːn/ "bone" but bane /baːnə/ "bones"

There are some exceptions to this, such as many pronouns which are by convention written in the long form.
Diphthongs variants ending with <w, y> are only written word finally.
<y> is the exception and can be written word-internally.
<y> is pronounced /iː/ word finally

A slightly longer comparative example taken from an earlier post:
Old Orthography: Daa auden men etes dät brääd ann drinkes dät büür.
New Orthography: Da auden men ettes det bread ann drinkes det búer.

Old: Ik öm an dät wreiten.
New: Ik am an det wryten.

Old: Hei zäide, “Wij zinn an dät cinema gangen.”
New: Dey seide, "Wie sinn an det cinema gangen."
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

To be honest, I liked the old orthography better.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

A couple other changes:
1. The continuative/progressive is only formed by the construction súe an det + gerund
2. The conjugation of the verb súe "to be" has been modified slightly, aside from the spelling conventions the first and second person singular are now am and art, respectively. This change was made to reflect the dialect represented in the Lindesfarne Gospels.

Plural Morphology
In general, the plural morphology is largely the same. The possible endings are still -(e)s, -e, -(e)n, -(e)r, umlaut, and null as well as irregular combinations. However, the treatment of -e has changed somewhat. All words which end in a voiceless fricative and which take -e in the plural realize this ending only as a change in voicing of the final consonant and the final schwa goes unpronounced. Through analogy, this has become the default ending for most words ending in a voiceless fricative.

Ex:
visch /vɪʃ/ "fish"
vische /vɪʒ/ "fishes"

wyf /vɛɪf/ "woman"
wyve /vɛɪv/

This also affects words which historically ended in an inter-dental fricative even though they are now pronounced as stops but it does not affect words which did not historically end in an inter-dental fricative.

Ex:
muut /muːt/ "mouth"
mude /muːd/ "mouths"

but

baat /baːt/ "boat"
bate /baːtə/ "boats"
Herra Ratatoskr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

I like the new orthography; it seems much more appropriate for the region its in. The accent to mark front rounded vowels feels a bit odd, but that's the only head turner I saw.

I also dig the plural rules you've got. I'm a fan of those sorts of stem modification as inflection things, and had actually put some of them into West Saxon as well. Are there any things like that with the verbs?
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote: 16 Apr 2019 03:56 I like the new orthography; it seems much more appropriate for the region its in.
Thanks, that's what I was going for.
The accent to mark front rounded vowels feels a bit odd, but that's the only head turner I saw.
Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with it. Western Frisian uses the accent to mark /y/ so I ran with that. I'm still toying with how to handle the front rounded vowels orthographically. The problem is that Frisian, Dutch and Scots all use <eu> to mark /øː/ which looks good but it doesn't help with /ø ʏ yː/ and I'm already using <eu> for /ɛʊ/. This leaves me with a few options:
1. Merge /ɛʊ/ into /iʊ/ and use <eu> for /øː/.
2. Merge /ɛʊ/ into /øː/.
3. Merge /ɛʊ/ into /ø/ and /iʊ/ into /ʏ/ and come up with trigraphs for the long variants (<eue> and <iue>).
4. Use diacritics

The problems with (1) and (2) are that I kinda like the phonology as it is and neither solves what to do about /ø ʏ yː/. I already merged /e/ into /ɛ/ when devising the new orthography and kinda regret it. (3) is ok but the I lose two diphthongs and just gain a ton more front rounded vowels. So, I feel kinda stuck with (4) while also trying to avoid diaereses. Input is welcome.
I also dig the plural rules you've got. I'm a fan of those sorts of stem modification as inflection things, and had actually put some of them into West Saxon as well. Are there any things like that with the verbs?
Thanks, I also like these stem modification things for morphology, whether it be consonant mutations or vowel changes like in West Saxon. As for verbs, that's an issue I'm still considering. An example will help illustrate what I've debating before I put it into words:

Infinitive ryse
Past Participle rise
Present Participle rysenn

Personal Endings - Present Tense
S/P
1 rys/ryses
2 rysest, ryst/ryses
3 ryses, rys/ryes

Pronoun-Adjacent
1 rys/ryse
2 rysest, ryst /ryse
3 rys/ryse

Personal Endings - Past Tense (Strong)
S/P
1 raas/rases
2 rasest, raast/rases
3 raas/rases

Pronoun-Adjacent
1 raas/rase
2 rasest, raast /rase
3 raas/rase

In this example, the bolded forms would be pronounced with a final /s/ rather than /z/ which is used throughout the paradigm. (edited after posting into a list)/ So, again I have a few options:
1. I can do what English did and level the whole thing to /z/ and tag on a dummy <-e> which is unpronouned by affects the pronunciation of <s>.
2. Change nothing.
3. Change nothing but have the pronoun adjacent plural endings be dummy <-e> and only affect pronunciation of <s>.

I'm kinda leaning towards (3). (1) is just no fun.

Some confusion is added here because the vowel of the past participle is short, not long but its spelling makes it look long and if I spelled it <risse> it makes the consonants look devoiced, which of course it very well could be. Decisions, decisions...
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Passive Voice
Somehow, I managed to neglect this topic previously.

In short, the passive is formed by a conjugated form of wórde "to become" plus the past participle of the main verb. A full conjugation of wórde is below. When the agent is needed, it is indicated by the preposition vram for animate nouns and durch for inanimate nouns.

Infinitive wórde
Past Participle wórdenn
Present Participle worde

Present Tense
S/P
1 wórt/wórdes
2 wúrst/wórdes
3 wúrts/wórdes

Past Tense
S/P
1 wert/werdes
2 werst/werdes
3 wert/werdes

Ex:
Det ey wórts vram de knev ette. "The egg is eaten by the boy."
Hie wert durch aan staan slagge. "He was killed by a stone."
Zé do Rock
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Zé do Rock »

METAPLATT

Ik muk a farrad-tur üm Düütshland, langs de grenz un daglig dat land wesseln. Ik shreev en bok över de reis, un dat is faken shrievt in de lokale dialekt vun de region wo ik jüst reis (int bok). In Norddüütshland muss ik up plattdüütsh shriven, aver dat is nich maklig, bi de mennig varianten - uplest dat gat vun de hollanshe bit to de polnshe grenz. So beslut ik en metaplatt to mak, wo de wör dör de fakenheid in de fele dialekten, kortheid un 'logik' ermiddelt wart (in de transfer vun hoogdüütsh to platdüütsh).

Dat is nich wid vun nortsääenglish:

Det ey wórts vram de knev ette. "The egg is eaten by the boy." -
Dat ei wart vun de jung eet. (or beter: de jung ot dat ei)

He wurt vun en steen doodmaakt.
(un wenn dat "beaten by a stone" wer, wer dat:
He wurt vun en steen slat.)

ENGLISH

I made a cycle-tour around Germany, following the border and changing the country several times a day. I wrote a book about it, and it is often written in the local dialect of the region i'm travelling thru (in the book). In Northern Germany i had to write in plattdüütsch, but it is not easy, given the many variants - after all it goes from the dutch till the polish border. So i decided to make a metaplatt, where words are determined by frequency in the many dialects, brevity and "logic" (in the transfer from hochdeutsch to plattdeutsch).

It is not very far from nortsääenglish:

Dat ei wart vun de jung eet. (or better: de jung ot dat ei)

(and if it was "beaten by a stone" it would be:
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Zé do Rock wrote: 12 May 2019 16:35 METAPLATT

Ik muk a farrad-tur üm Düütshland, langs de grenz un daglig dat land wesseln. Ik shreev en bok över de reis, un dat is faken shrievt in de lokale dialekt vun de region wo ik jüst reis (int bok). In Norddüütshland muss ik up plattdüütsh shriven, aver dat is nich maklig, bi de mennig varianten - uplest dat gat vun de hollanshe bit to de polnshe grenz. So beslut ik en metaplatt to mak, wo de wör dör de fakenheid in de fele dialekten, kortheid un 'logik' ermiddelt wart (in de transfer vun hoogdüütsh to platdüütsh).

(un wenn dat "beaten by a stone" wer, wer dat:
Je, dey sinn saar meenly understandly!
Yes, they are very mutually intelligible!

"de jung ot dat ei" is "De knev it det ey."

"He wurt vun en steen slat." is "He wert durch aan staan beslagge."
NB: "slee" meens annveld "to kill" ann "beslee" meens "to beat"
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Minor orthography updates:
spanick wrote: 15 Apr 2019 22:41 Short vowels are written as a single vowel followed by a single consonant in a closed syllable or doubled consonants in an open syllable.
Ex: schip /ʒɪp/ "ship" but schippe /ʒɪpə/ "ships"

Long vowels are written as a single vowel in an open syllable. In closed syllables, the vowel is always written double.
Ex: baan /baːn/ "bone" but bane /baːnə/ "bones"
There are two exceptions to these conventions. First, <w> is always preceded by a short vowel even in an open syllable, because it treated functionally the same as <vv>.

Ex: hawe /havə/ not */haːvə/

The second exception is the letter <ê> which is /e/ and is always short. This means that <ê> doesn’t have to be followed by doubled consonants or <w> to indicate its value. I’m introducing this letter because when I remade the orthography, I ended up losing the distinction between /e~ɛ/, which didn’t sit right.

Ex: gêve /gevə/ “to give”
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

I'm slowly starting to work on some dialectal variation for Weddisch, but I want to post a map of the rough area that Weddisch would be spoken.

Edited this post to reflect the various dialects. There are six main groupings. The Halandisch Dialect is circled in blue. The two green areas are closely related dialects. The orange and red areas again represent very closely related dialects. They are the dialects which this thread mostly reflects. The magenta area is fairly closely related to the red and orange, but with much more Dutch influence and closer to the red dialect. (dialect names yet to be decided).

Herra Ratatoskr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Herra Ratatoskr »

Yay, it liveth!

Is there any Frisian influence on the magenta dialects as well as Dutch?
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Herra Ratatoskr wrote: 26 Dec 2019 01:16 Is there any Frisian influence on the magenta dialects as well as Dutch?
Yes, all the "warm" dialects (magenta, red, orange) show Frisian influence but on a continuum with Orange having the least and Magenta having the most. Currently, though, I'm working on the Heligoland dialect, which is the most different from all other dialects.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

spanick wrote: 14 May 2019 17:42
Zé do Rock wrote: 12 May 2019 16:35 METAPLATT

"de jung ot dat ei" is "De knev it det ey."
:con: Sadrås:
is ye Äg eght öp yë Jaingilne (dar becirür: eate ye Jaingli yë Æg)
Je, dey sinn saar meenly understandly!
Yes, they are very mutually intelligible!
Gæ, ünsrestandaj dåcün cweða jœ, jnlyc schpæke jœ richtne sûndœrsamernlyc [:P] [;)]
spanick
roman
roman

Re: Weddisch

Post by spanick »

So, since I’ve been back on conlanging a bit, I’ve decided to finally give the six dialects names.

Below, I’m reposting the image of the dialect areas and I’ll refer to them by their colors. There are however, lots of different ways to refer to these dialects, which will require some explanation. Only one dialect name will be written out in IPA because that dialect differs enough from the others that it uses a slightly different orthography that has not yet been described. The remaining names remain untranscribed because they are given in either the orthography found on page 1 of this thread or page 2.

Blue: The dialect of Heligoland (Hallann) is notable for many reasons and I’ll dedicate a separate post to it. It is the most distinct of the dialects and is the only one not commonly referred to as “Weddisch.” The academic name for this dialect is Hallandisch but in its own dialect, it’s called Hawannis /hawanːɪs/.

Dark Green: This dialect uses the German-inspired orthography inspired (found on page 1). The academic name for this dialect is Esthewenweddisch. The speakers usually refer to it as either Wätsch or Hävensch. They might also call it Äästwätsch or Ästhävensch to distinguish it from the dialect across the Bremerhaven.

Light Green: This dialect also uses the German-inspired orthography and is very similar to Esthewenweddisch. The academic name is Wêsthewenweddisch. Like the speakers on the east of the bay, these speakers usually simply refer to their dialect as Wätsch or Hävensch but may call it Westwätsch or Westhävensch to distinguish it from the dialect across the Bremerhaven.

Orange: This is the dialect that is used as the “standard” by me. This is an arbitrary choice. The academic name is Estweddisch. This name is also used when needed to distinguish from the other dialects. Typically speakers simply refer to their dialect as Weddisch.

Red: This dialect is very similar to Estweddisch and is called Wêstweddisch academically and when it is necessary to distinguish it from other dialects. They also refer to their dialect simply as Weddisch.

Purple: This dialect is typically grouped together with Estweddisch and Wêstweddisch, though it diverges in a number of ways that are remarkably similar to Halandisch. This is usually explained as being a result of convergent evolution. The academic name is Utweddisch “outer Weddisch” though they refer to their dialect as Lúweddis, which is generally accepted as being a contraction of earlier Lúwadden Weddis (Lúwadden being the Lúweddis name for Leeuwarden).