Sakasõdakakowi

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Sakasõdakakowi

Post by Shemtov »

Possesion is marked POSSESOR ko POSSESEE. The POSSESOR never takes the subject-marker, and is always Oblique if a pronoun:
N̈õ tẽ n̈õ ko n̈ugfa nedmekòke
"My spear will be thrown by me at you"

If consenquences of an action are being spoken of, the object effected, always in non-subject form is put between the main verb and the resultive verb in active form (Even though there is no subject in this phrase). The active verb is unmarked for tense, unless the tense is different. Past main verb with unmarked resultive verb implies past result, same with future.

N̈õ tẽ n̈õ ko n̈ugfa nedmekòke tẽ wãpõyatakasa
"My spear will be thrown by me at you, [which will] kill you"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Four Ss in possess. Just like four Ss in Mississippi.
Possessor not possesor.
Possessum not possesum.

———

If you were applying the phonics rules taught in first-grade reading classes, you’d have made the first double-s single, but left the second double-s double.
A spelling-reformer would recommend posess.
But no spelling-reformer would recommend posses without a change in meaning and pronunciation.

If several counties’ sheriffs each called up their individual county’s posse comitatus, and those groups were referred to in the plural, an English-speaker might call them posses.

———

But don’t sweat 😓 it; we all knew what you meant!

And btw I happen to like it!
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Thanks. I was inspired by Tobati to make Sakasõdakakowi (a really bonkers Austronesian language spoken on New Guinea). It, despite being Oceanic, does not distinguish between alienable and inalienable possession, which I transferred over to Sakasõdakakowi, as the most other Wanian languages have that distinction. I decided that the Proto-Wanian Genitive pronouns would be dropped, (they are used in most Wanian languages only for Inalienables, and *ko is the genitive marker for alienables) and as I had decided that the "Oblique" pronouns meant "any use but Subject", it made sense to use them for Genitives, even when the Possessum is subject, as sort of a "ghost" of the Genitive pronoun series.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Numbers come in Three forms: Counting, Human and Non-Human, the latter two used before each corresponding Gender:
Counting 1-10:
1. Sati
2. Pĩnà
3: Katila
4. Tiyo
5. N̈ã
6. Fita
7. Põtò
8. Yowi
9. Tõfi
10: Kowã

Human:
1. Gosati
2. N̈opinà
3: Gokatila
4. Gotiyo
5. Gon̈ã
6. Gofita
7. N̈opotò
8. Goyowi
9. N̈otofi
10: Gokowã

Non-Human:
1. Sasati
2. Pasĩnà
3: Kakatila
4. Tatiyo
5. N̈an̈ã
6. Fifita
7. Popõtò
8. Yoyowi
9. Totõfi
10: Kokowã

Numbers two and three do not pluralize their noun, 4+ do. This is a relic of a paucal.

N̈opinà sõda n̈utoka wãpõyatakasa
"The autocrator killed two men"

Gon̈ã ka sõda n̈utoka wãpõyatakasa
""The autocrator killed five men"
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Verbs of motion must occur in the patient voice. They are followed by a noun that takes a motion particle. The lative particle is Si, and the Ablative is Hi.
N̈õ tãbo si kaneka
"I walk toward the ocean"

N̈õ tãbo hi toka
"I walk away from the autocrator"

To indicate that an action is taking place at a certain point, the verb is followed by particle Da NOUN (OSVX):
Sõda n̈utoka wãpõyatakasa da toka ko tasi
"The Autocrator killed a man at the autocrator's house."
-JRR Tolkien
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I don’t really need to know, but I’m curious.
Is the Autocrator’s name Sebastian?
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

I don't get the reference, but PW *Toka, means "Leader" and in various daughters has taken on the meanings of "King" "Emperor" "Chief" "Chief of Council" "Captain". The exact translation of Sakasõdakakowi "Toka" was hard to come up with. "King" is too strong. "Dictator" feels too modern. "Autocrat" felt right, but as the Toka usually sets himself up as a "Benevolent Dictator" I changed it to a more neutral "Autocrator". I also wanted a unique translation, as the Toka gets his power in a unique way- elected from the "Council of Rich Elders", who are supposed to be Men (and occasionally women) over the age of 45 with property, though corruption allows younger people to slip through, and eligible people to be blocked. They get their power from "Land and Experience". Every time a Toka dies, they gather to give "all power" to one of their number.
-JRR Tolkien