ixals' scratchpad

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
ixals
sinic
sinic

ixals' scratchpad

Post by ixals »

I think it's a good idea I'll start a scratchpad for all the ideas I have and abandon the day after.

More from the Celticised romlang I posted about yesterday in another thread.
Spoiler:
ixals wrote: 06 Aug 2018 18:37El gclobh dtodzhorn lha vféthar ábht dha shobar.
/el glu dodʒorn ɬa veːθar aːt ða hobar/
[e̞ɫ ˈglu do̞ˈdʒo̞ːn ɬə ˈve̞ːθ.r‿aːtθ ho̞ˈbaː]

"She always closes the window before dining."

Pod-thu bpálar bplu chlarmhét ?
/pod θi baːlar bli xlarβeːt/
[ˈpo̞.d͡ði baˈlaː bli xlaˈβe̞ːt ↗]

"Can you speak more clearly?"
Here's the conjugation for regular verbs ending in -ar:

The preterite died out and the rest of the past tenses merged into one, as imperfect -ábh /aː/ and pluperfect -ar /aː/ were pronounced the same and were given the more regular spelling of /aː/. The missing tenses are now compounds similar to French. The auxiliary ar means to have.

The singular forms and the third person plural are identical but each form mutates the following word in a different way. Therefore the pronouns can be left out sometimes (not all consonants undergo all mutations).

Bain clarmhét.
/ˈbe̞ːn klaˈβe̞ːt/
I clearly bathe.

Bain gclarmhét.
/ˈbe̞ːn glaˈβe̞ːt/
He/she clearly bathes.

Bain chlarmhét.
/ˈbe̞ːn xlaˈβe̞ːt/
You clearly bathe.

Also numbers one to ten:

u/unh, do, tre, cadar, tsíc, ses, set, ot, nobh, dets
/i ~ iː/, /do̞/, /tre̞/, /ˈka.də/, /t͡siːk/, /se̞s/, /se̞t/, /o̞t/, /nu/, /de̞t͡s/
Native: :deu:
Learning: :gbr:, :chn:, :tur:, :fra:

Zhér·dûn a tonal Germanic conlang

old stuff: Цiски | Noattȯč | Tungōnis Vīdīnōs
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Re: ixals' scratchpad

Post by Ælfwine »

Will this language have initial mutations?
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

wow, this is really creative! nice job done!

@Ælfwine clearly it has initial mutations
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

k1234567890y wrote: 08 Aug 2018 22:09 wow, this is really creative! nice job done!

Didn't get to that part before the thought came to my mind, sorry.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ælfwine wrote: 08 Aug 2018 22:14
k1234567890y wrote: 08 Aug 2018 22:09 wow, this is really creative! nice job done!

Didn't get to that part before the thought came to my mind, sorry.
that's ok, I can misread or miss reading something too.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Like I said in the other thread, I quite like the look of this language!
ixals wrote: 07 Aug 2018 15:39 Here's the conjugation for regular verbs ending in -ar:
Could you potentially detail the effects of the mutations, especially the ways in which they differ from the mutations in Irish?

What is the conjugation of "ar" like?
ixals wrote: 07 Aug 2018 15:39 u/unh, do, tre, cadar, tsíc, ses, set, ot, nobh, dets
/i ~ iː/, /do̞/, /tre̞/, /ˈka.də/, /t͡siːk/, /se̞s/, /se̞t/, /o̞t/, /nu/, /de̞t͡s/
What's the difference between the different forms of the number 1?
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Below is the current system of initial mutations but I don't know if I am a 100% happy with all the changes. There's a chance I will alter it a bit as it's still just a sketch.

shimobaatar wrote: 10 Aug 2018 03:44 Could you potentially detail the effects of the mutations, especially the ways in which they differ from the mutations in Irish?
I would describe this language's mutations as more regular and Romance-y than Irish's. So things like /t̪ˠ/ > /h/ and /d̪ˠ/ > /ɣ/ don't happen. The romlang's lenition actually causes lenition in a Western Romance style (plus additional things like weakening nasals, affricates etc.) while Irish lenition rather turn stops into fricatives. Irish eclipsis/nasalisation lenites voiceless stops and turns voiced stops into nasals while this romlang just does the latter (in addition to /nf/ > /mpf/ > /pf/ and /ns/ > /nts/ > /ts/ which is more German inspired). Then the romlang also has a third mutation which does multiple different things.
shimobaatar wrote: 10 Aug 2018 03:44 What is the conjugation of "ar" like?
I don't know exactly because I seem to have made a mistake. I thought the infinitive of habeō is hábere, not habḗre. So it's not /ˈa.βrə/ > /ˈawr/ > /ˈar/ but something else, probably aver /əˈveː/ or just ver or ér ~ er. This is what I have so far:

The future and present conditional are definitely set though.
shimobaatar wrote: 10 Aug 2018 03:44 What's the difference between the different forms of the number 1?
The first is masculine, the latter is feminine.

ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

A Russian-inspired triconsonantal conlang. An idea I had for some time but always put aside because I didn't like the sound changes.

/ʲi ʲe ʲa ʲu/ <i ye ya yu>
/e~ɨ¹ a~ʌ~ə² u/ <e a~o u>

/m n/
/b p d t g k/
/t͡s t͡ʃ³/
/f v θ ð s z ʃ³ ʒ³ x ɣ⁴/
/l r/

¹ /ɨ/ in unstressed syllables
² /ʌ/ in unstressed syllables followed by an unpalatalised syllable and in front of /l/ [ɫ] and /v/ (written as <o> if /ʌ/ except if part of an infix of a root in the latter two cases), /ə/ if followed by a palatalised syllable
³ palatal if palatalised, retroflex if unpalatalised
⁴ /j/ if palatalised

Consonants devoice at the end of words.

Sample conjugation of √g-l-z "to see":
Definitely not inspired by Russian glaz [:P]

I thought I'll try ergative-absolutive alignment with this language as well to push my boundaries. The proto-language distinguished past/present and had a habitual tense formed by reduplication of the first syllable. The habitual became the regular present and the old present became the future. Remnants of the reduplication can be seen in the fourth person absolutive. Some of the proto-words:

/uː gaˈlaz/ > /uːˈglaz/ > /ˈu.gɫʌs/
1PS see > 1PS-see.FUT > 1PS.see.FUT

/uː i gaˈlaz/ > /ˈuːi̯.glaz/ ~ /ˈwu̯i.glaz/ > /ˈvʲe.gɫɨs/
1PS here see > 1PS.ERG-see.FUT > 1PS.ERG.see.FUT

/si i galaˈzi ˈaiw/ > /ˈsiː.glæːz æːv/ > /sʲiˈglʲe.zʲev/
2PS here see-PST NEG > 2PS.ERG-see.PST NEG > 2PS.ERG.see.PST.NEG

I made the ergative come from the word for "here" which ultimately was a optional distinction between subject and object. In sentences without an object, the distinction wasn't needed so a galaz was the preferred form for "They see". In sentences with an object, the distinction was kept and became necessary. This enabled a more free word order and caused the language's ergative-absolutive alignment. So a galaz si ("They see you") became replaced by a i galaz si which could now also be said as si galaz a i. However, the SVO was the most common and the subjects became prefixed to the verb. I also have a daughter language in mind which has nominative-accusative alignment and suffixed the subject to the verb together with i all the time.
Edit: Idea: Having the origin of ergative-absolutive alignment from a word like "here" or "this" be an areal feature if I'll ever make a conworld out of this?

ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Conlanger's block so I came up with a random phonology to try to step out of my box [B)]

/i e o ã/ <i e o a>
/ḭ ḛ o̰ ã̰/ <iˀ eˀ oˀ aˀ>

/m n ɲ ŋ/ <m n ň g>
/p t tʲ k kʲ kʷ q ʔ/ <p t tʲ c cʲ cʷ q ˀ>
/f s ð ʃ ɬ x/ <f s d š ł h>
/t͡s t͡ʃ t͡ɬ/ <ts tš tł>
/w l r/ <w l r>

miˀłłc /mɨ̰ɬːk/
tlpcʷo /tl̩pkʷo/
aˀššri /ã̰ʃːri/
mmcʲehc /m̩ːkʲexk/
oˀgdd /o̰ŋðː/

/ð/ is probably the only outlier and my explanation is that it's fairly new and comes from /j/ and maybe /z/ (< /rʲ/).

ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

And another random speed romlang I made.

/a e ɛ i o ɔ u/ <a/á e/é e/è/ai i/í o/ó o/ò/au u/ú>
/ɐ̃ ɛ̃ ɔ̃/ <an/am/án/ám en/em/én/ém/èn/èm/ain/aim/in/im/ín/ím on/om/ón/óm/òn/òm/aun/aum/un/um/ún/úm>
/ɛi̯ ɔi̯ ui̯ ɛu̯ ɔu̯ iu̯/ <ei oi ui eu ou iu>

/m n ɲ/ <m n gn>
/p b t d k g/ <p b/v t d c/qu g/gu>
/f s t͡s ʃ t͡ʃ x h/ <f s c/ç x ch y h>
/j w l ʎ ɾ ʀ/ <i/hi u/ü/hu l gl r r/rr>

Allophones:
- unstressed /a e ɛ i o ɔ u/ turn into /ə i ɛ i u ɔ u/ in open and simple closed syllables and /a ɛ ɛ i ɔ ɔ u/ in heavy closed syllables
- final /ɲ ʎ/ depalatalise into /n l/
- /l/ after a consonant palatalised into /ʎ/
- intervocalic /b d g/ are realised as /β ð ɣ/
- /b d g/ devoice at the end of words
- coda /h/ and coda /ɾ/ are not pronounced (however, final /ɾə/ results in a new final /ɾ/)
- /s t͡s/ turns into /ʃ t͡ʃ/ before consonants or word-finally

un, dos, tres, quatre, cinc, six, xet, huoich, nu, diç
[ˈɔ̃ ˈdoʃ ˈtreʃ ˈkwa.trə ˈt͡sɛ̃k ˈsi(ʃ) ˈʃet ˈwɔi̯t͡ʃ ˈnu ˈdit͡ʃ]

Pare nuos, qu' estaç ni cei,
santificad sia l' huos nom,
vigna a nos l' huos regn,
haça-s' la huosa volontad,
axí negla tiérra com ni cei.

/ˈparə nwos k esˈtat͡s ni t͡sɛi̯/ [par nwoʃ kiʃˈtat͡ʃ ni t͡sɛi̯]
/sɐ̃tifiˈkad ˈsia l wos nɔ̃/ [sɐ̃.ti.fiˈkat ˈsi.ə lwoʃ nɔ̃]
/ˈbiɲa a nos l wos ʀeɲ/ [ˈbi.ɲa a noʃ lwoʃ ʀen]
/ˈha.t͡sas la ˈwosa bolɔ̃ˈtad/ [ˈha.t͡səʃ lə ˈwo.sə βu.lɔ̃ˈtat]
/aˈʃi ˈneʎa ˈtjeʀa kɔ̃ ni t͡sɛi̯/ [əˈʃi ˈne.ʎə ˈtje.ʀə kɔ̃ ni t͡sɛi̯]

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

ixals wrote: 15 Aug 2018 22:16 A Russian-inspired triconsonantal conlang.
Very nice! I appreciate that you've shown some of the development from the protolanguage.
ixals wrote: 15 Aug 2018 22:16
Edit: Idea: Having the origin of ergative-absolutive alignment from a word like "here" or "this" be an areal feature if I'll ever make a conworld out of this?
[+1]

ixals wrote: 27 Sep 2018 21:02 Conlanger's block so I came up with a random phonology to try to step out of my box [B)]
There's something very pleasing to me about this language's phonology and orthography. I particularly like how the low vowel is nasalized by default, the lack of <k>, and the distribution of geminates.
ixals wrote: 27 Sep 2018 21:02 /ð/ is probably the only outlier and my explanation is that it's fairly new and comes from /j/ and maybe /z/ (< /rʲ/).
[+1]

ixals wrote: 14 Oct 2018 16:34 And another random speed romlang I made.
Any idea for where this might be spoken?

I like how every monophthong phoneme has at least two orthographic representations, and how unstressed /e o/ merge with /i u/ in certain types of syllables and with /ɛ ɔ/ in others. I'm also pretty intrigued by /x/ <y> and the /x h/ contrast.
ixals wrote: 14 Oct 2018 16:34 - /l/ after a consonant palatalised into /ʎ/
Do you mean that /Cl/ > [Cʎ] unconditionally?
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 04:50 Very nice! I appreciate that you've shown some of the development from the protolanguage.
Thank you! [:D]
shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 04:50 There's something very pleasing to me about this language's phonology and orthography. I particularly like how the low vowel is nasalized by default, the lack of <k>, and the distribution of geminates.
Thanks again! My goal with this was to add everything I would normally ugly/disgusting for my own conlangs but I haven't achieved that yet, I like all of these things so far [xD] Although it can get pretty keysmash-y sometimes with words like <ggcʲdrq> /ˈŋ̩ːkʲ.dr̩q/.
shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 04:50 Any idea for where this might be spoken?
Not really. Spanish and Catalan were my biggest references for sound changes so it would definitely be somewhere in that region I'd say.
shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 04:50 I like how every monophthong phoneme has at least two orthographic representations, and how unstressed /e o/ merge with /i u/ in certain types of syllables and with /ɛ ɔ/ in others. I'm also pretty intrigued by /x/ <y> and the /x h/ contrast.
Well, most of the representations are just the normal version plus the one with an accent for when the vowel is stressed à la Spanish and Portuguese. /x h/ was something I really wanted for these lang. /h/ is from /f/ like Spanish and /x/ is from earlier /ʝ/ (through /ʝ/ > /ç/ > /x/) which explains the use of <y> for /x/ pretty well I think [:D] Compare Latin *fāgea resulting in Spanish <haya> /ˈa.ʝa/ and this romlang's <haya> /ˈha.xə/ [:D]
shimobaatar wrote: 03 Nov 2018 04:50 Do you mean that /Cl/ > [Cʎ] unconditionally?
Yes, exactly that [:)]

ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Weird very isolated tonal Germanic conlang vowel inventory (?)

/i u a e o/ [i u a ɛɪ̯ ɔʊ̯]

/ij uj aj ej oj/ [i wɛɪ̯ ɛɪ̯ ɛɪ̯ wɛɪ̯]
/iw uw aw ew ow/ [jɔʊ̯ u ɔʊ̯ jɔʊ̯ ɔʊ̯]
/ji ju ja je jo/ [jɨ jɔʊ̯ ja jɛɪ̯ jɔʊ̯]
/wi wu wa we wo/ [wɛɪ̯ wɨ wa wɛɪ̯ wɔʊ̯]
/in un an en on/ [jɨ̃ wɨ̃ ã jã wã]
/ir ur ar er or/ [jɚ wɚ a˞ ja˞ wa˞]

a˥ a˧ a˩
a˩˧ a˧˥ a˩˥
a˥˧ a˧˩ a˥˩

ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Digging this thread out again. An idea of a phonology for a conlang loosely inspired by North American langs, just to step out of my comfort zone once again, erg/abs, incorporation etc., but I'm not sure I understood the concepts a hundred percent.

Phonology

/m n ŋ/ <m n h>
/p pʼ t tʼ k kʼ ʔ/ <p b t d k g '>
/s ts tsʼ ʃ tʃ tʃʼ/ <s c z š č ž>
/f θ* x~h/ <f s* x>
/l w j/ <l w y>
  • plain stops are aspirated except when in clusters
  • <h> is /h/ only between vowels or at the beginning of an utterance
  • /θ/ and /s/ merged into /s/ but for some words a formal pronunciation with /θ/ exists, though also written with <s>, e.g. baas (a name of a deity) can be both /pˤaːs/ or /pˤaːθ/
/a e i o u/ <a e i o u>
/a: i: u:/ <aa ii uu>
  • vowels can have either low-tone or high-tone, high-tone is marked with an acute accent
Syllable structure is (C)V(C), two different vowels cannot stand next to each other.

Stress falls on the first syllable of the stem.

Allophony & Morphophonology
  • if two vowels with high tone meet, the first one changes to low-tone and the vowel becomes long (if it wasn't long before):
    áá-h-yúú-' (1ABS-2ERG-hit-PRF) 'You have punched me.' > aahyúú'
  • if two of the same consonant meet, the cluster simplifies and the preceding vowel becomes long (if it wasn't long before):
    nu-y-ya-' (3ABS.N3-4ERG-throw-PRF) 'It has been thrown.' > nuuya'
  • if /e o/ get lengthened, they become /i: u:/:
    za-nóy-yúú-k (3ABS.N5-woman-hit-HAB) 'He beats women.' > zanuuyúúk
  • if weak vowels (unstressed /e o/ but only their low-tone versions) become followed by another syllable, they disappear if their loss wouldn't violate the syllable structure:
    cín-et-ó (house-DIM-ERG) 'hut/shed (ERG)' > ciintó
  • if /n/ precedes /ʔ/, it becomes /ŋ/:
    áá-nene'-ádu-č (1ABS-urine-emit-CONT) 'I'm peeing.' > ááneh'áduč
  • if /f x/ follow another fricative, they turn into /p k/, /s/ + /s/ can either simplify into /s/ with lengthening the preceding vowel or it turns into /st/ if the second /s/ is from earlier /θ/:
    hi-s-sumú-č (2ABS-3ERG.N5-listen-CONT) 'It is listening to you.' > hiisumúč
    but: hi-s-sa-č (2ABS-3ERG.N5-see-CONT) 'It is watching you.' > histač
  • if two ejectives meet, the first one changes into a plain stop:
    aa-šag-báá-k (3ERG.N4-head-sit.on-HAB) 'It sits on top of something.' > aašakbáák

Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

/pˤaːs/
Judging from your phonemic inventory it seems it should be [pʼaːs].
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
ixals
sinic
sinic

Post by ixals »

Yeah it definitely should. I made the change from pharyngealised to ejective consonants during the writing of the post so I missed that.

Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

ixals wrote: 23 Jan 2022 00:20 Digging this thread out again. An idea of a phonology for a conlang loosely inspired by North American langs, just to step out of my comfort zone once again, erg/abs, incorporation etc., but I'm not sure I understood the concepts a hundred percent.
I think those concepts aren't that coherent in the beginning. Two langs can have very different ergativity and very different amounts and grammaticality of incorporation.
Ergativity is simple in those idealized sentences: you just mark O and S the one way and A the other. But it's always language-particular which verbs really appear in the transitive construction and which ones appear in some other bivalent construction.
Polysynthesis is not my comfort zone either.

Nice ideas, I'm interested to see where they evolve to.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

ixals wrote:and the vowel becomes long
The first or the second?
Omzinesý wrote:
[+1]
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu: